The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bastian is the new Stuga...

RaddlemanNumber7
RaddlemanNumber7
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
only much, much worse. It's easy to shut Stuga up, but not Bastian.

Every time I go into a "city", or pass a cooking fire, or go into the Mages Guild I have to suffer one of his wistful bouts of [snip]

I've set the communication option to "Infrequent", but it's not enough.

How many times do I have to listen to these dumb little speeches? Forever? They're torture!

We really need a "Mute" option. Please.

[edited for content]
Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on August 10, 2021 4:12PM
PC EU
  • tripp
    tripp
    ✭✭✭
    Unsummon him before you enter the city. I don't see the issue.
    big, green, buff, but surprisingly not the Hulk
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Mirri also talking or saying some quotes sometimes?
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All. The. Friggin'. Time!!! *facemelt of horror*
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri: "I like to think I'm agreeable!"

Me, whispering between my grinding teeth: "I like to think you can shut up!"
  • JoDiMageio
    JoDiMageio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanted blessed silence, why did you get a companion?
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me *gathering some wood*
    Bastian: 'What do you think you'll make with that?'
    Me: 'Your coffin'.

Doesn't shut him up tho.
    PC EU & NA
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JoDiMageio wrote: »

They might have needed an assistance or doing it for achievements by which zos forced us to engage in it even if we hate/dislike companions.
  • JoDiMageio
    JoDiMageio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They might have needed an assistance or doing it for achievements by which zos forced us to engage in it even if we hate/dislike companions.

One does not have to get companions...
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Mirri's comments are short and shallow. I can blank them out.

Bastian's are long and pretentious. It's as if he's trying to be Hamlet. Just the sort of thing that would test me IRL.
    PC EU
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Bastian makes a good tanky pet for my magnecro. Fills a gap in her skill set. It allows her to stand back and do the whole puppet master thing, like necros are supposed to do.
    PC EU
  • madjhack
    madjhack
    ✭✭✭
    Hence my mission to *** him off.
    rrxg5bycpcjs.jpeg
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    madjhack wrote: »
    rrxg5bycpcjs.jpeg

If your mission ever bears fruit, be sure to let us know!
    PC NA
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bastian makes a good tanky pet for my magnecro. Fills a gap in her skill set. It allows her to stand back and do the whole puppet master thing, like necros are supposed to do.

You hit the nail on the head. If I could mute him and polo morph him into a skeleton I’d be the happiest man alive. I’m hoping we get an undead companion one day. I hope.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus Titus Alessian and Bastian arrive at the Rimmen Wayshrine, lugging crates of dragon-hunting gear. "Crud, we're too far from the nearest Dragon Scour," Marcus says, consulting his map. "I don't know a closer wayshrine. We'll have to ride."

"That's fine," Bastian says, "Cities are as alive, fickle, and uncertain as people. Some are good; some are bad. Some give you gifts; others rob you blind."

"I'm pretty sure that's racist against khajiit. But keep an eye on your purse anyways."

As their ship ties off at the dock in Anvil, Marcus takes a deep breath of briny air. "The smell of home!" Then he catches a whiff of a certain rotten scent. Wrinkling his nose, he asks, "Are those bodies?"

Sure enough, along the seashore and amongst the dock workers going about their labor are a number of dead bodies that were sliced, diced, and stabbed then left to bake in the sun. Mostly the workers ignored them, but occasionally a body slips over the edge where it's set upon by a horde of waiting slaughterfish and mudcrabs.

Bastian observes, "Cities are as alive, fickle, and uncertain as people. Some are good; some are bad. Some give you gifts; others rob you blind."

"Anvil wasn't a bad city when I was growing up here! It's the fault of the Dark Brotherhood and their awful initiation rite." Marcus grimaces, "Man, now I can't even eat my favorite Gold Coast Mudcrab Fries without feeling like I'm eating partially-digested people."

When they arrive at Daggerfall, Marcus steps out of the Wayshrine, then holds up a hand in front of Bastian. "Don't say it."

"What?"

Mimicking Bastian's tone, Marcus parrots, "Cities are as alive, fickle, and uncertain as people. Some are good; some are bad. Some give you gifts; others rob you blind." Then he adds, "I'd rather hear what you think. What do you really think about Daggerfall?"

"You know that guy here who keeps saying he owes you an ale for saving King Casimir? Let's go ask him for it."

""Gives gifts" it is, then!"

The next time they arrive in Rimmen, Bastian says, "Whether it's desperate commoners or the greedy soldiers, this city will rob you blind if you don't keep an eye on your purse."

"Its much less racist when you say it that way." Marcus agrees. "Plus, I appreciate hearing what you actually think of the city."

(Or, while I agree that players who want a "Mute" option should get one, the flip side is that Companion dialogue would be much less grating if it weren't just a few lines alternating when we go to certain locations. "Small talk" and ambient dialogue is the hardest thing to do properly in video games since players will hear it over and over again - I'd be willing to bet most TES fans can quote memeable bits of ambient dialogue from Oblivion, Skyrim, etc. My preference would be for ZOS to provide both a Mute button and more variations on the ambient dialogue for future Companions.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 10, 2021 6:00PM
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    madjhack wrote: »
    rrxg5bycpcjs.jpeg

That might be the best use of Bastian I ever seen.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah... if you could only shut him up and put a "putrid disgusting zombie flesh"-skin on him, it would be a done deal!! ;-)

(Still miffed that they didn't make undead pets for the necro class, makes no sense to me at all...)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You wanting to accomplish a particular goal does NOT equate to someone forcing you.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • UglyTriangle
    UglyTriangle
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there an option to change the frequency of how often they speak? Otherwise, it seems like it would be a simpler option to dismiss him entirely if you don't need him around.
    Bobo the Cowardly | Warden | Healer/MagDPS
    Spooky-Scary-Skeletons | Necromancer | MagDPS
    Incoherent-Screeching | Nightblade | MagDPS
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really need more lines so that they can vary it up a lot more.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Isn't there an option to change the frequency of how often they speak? Otherwise, it seems like it would be a simpler option to dismiss him entirely if you don't need him around.

There is an option, and it does technically work.

HOWEVER ...

The options are 'Frequent' (~60% of the time whenever you do anything), 'Normal' (~50% of the time), and 'Infrequent' (~40%).

Now those aren't official numbers. It's merely my impression.

But hearing reactions 40% of the time when you do anything at all is still very frequent.

Further, the 'timer' seems to get reset whenever you change zones. If you change zones, you're almost guaranteed to get a "Let's Ride!" or a "This is a great area for harvesting!" the first time or two you do something in the zone. Regardless of your setting.
    PC NA
  • sorcmag01
    sorcmag01
    ✭✭✭
    I love this tread. Seeing players releasing stress over this option. I have had times where I unsummon them too. This is new, so I'm going to ride it out and see's where it goes. This post is just another reason why I like the player base so much, it's so human! What a great game this really is imo. Ok, back to dailies.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but you don't need any of that in cities, where he does his soliloquy. Just unsummon after fights, problem solved. Now if you can't even stand the commentary during fights but still want the companion's help, mute the game, problem solved.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

You wanting to accomplish a particular goal does NOT equate to someone forcing you.

Achievements are made the way forcing you to do certain activities, it's not something new or shocking. There are people doing them for the sake of it and dealing with stuff they find annoying or not even needed (companions) so more options to shut them are welcomed.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harvests a plant.
    "hey, what do you think you'll make with that?"
    Edited by radiostar on August 10, 2021 9:49PM
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are these serious comments about unsummoning companions? How much more micro-managment I have to do instead just playing game? Unsummon Mirri when want to collect a bug or kill a citizen, unsummon Bastain where near city, change green tree Cp every now and then, what else? :D

Personally I don't want mute companions (but of course I don't see a problem with adding such a option). I just want to have really infrequent option - something like 5% of today infrequent. Why? Because there are really a small number of unique lines and some of them are repeat a lot. I still want to hear them but making them really rare, can keep them somehow special, not just annoying and boring.

Now companions are just little talkers who love to talk with every ocassion over and over. If you play a lot, how you can stand it for years and years, same couple lines? It's more like torture. I was tired of Bastian after 2-3 weeks, I won't last another 2-3 years with him... With Mirri is easier, but only because she has shorter lines.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, at least the issue of all the companions looking alike and killing immersion quickly became a non-issue. Already, I see very few companions out when playing the game. It’s neat to have them as an option, but I don’t see how anyone could possibly stand to have them out for a long period of time.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm delighted to see I'm not the only one who starts answering their remarks with a bit of hostility after the 19th time hearing them. Bastian just bemuses me and gives me the opportunity to tell him that yes, I *do* think he's a weirdo for liking noisy unwashed rando crowds, like ew. Mirri I just chase off after I'm done using her for a chest boost because her constant undeserved snark is not cute or funny and in real life if I had to work with someone with a mouth like that I would literally put a sock in it just to have a break while she spit out lint. Weirdos I can tolerate, I am one. But there can be only one smart-aleck and that spot's taken in my party!
  • Zenzuki
    Zenzuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as when ZOS adds shiny new companions in the future they do these two things, I think everything will ultimately be alright...
    1. Learn from these threads and adjust the dialog frequency rate percentages
    2. With each new companion addition... Add a couple of new strings of dialog to the previous companions (each time!). So that the their dialog libraries become way more vast over time.

This is still a new feature and these are the first two companions. They've said they hope to enhance and add things to the system going forward.

Let's hope they follow through!
    Can Open...
    Worms EVERYWHERE!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    only much, much worse. It's easy to shut Stuga up, but not Bastian.

Every time I go into a "city", or pass a cooking fire, or go into the Mages Guild I have to suffer one of his wistful bouts of [snip]

I've set the communication option to "Infrequent", but it's not enough.

How many times do I have to listen to these dumb little speeches? Forever? They're torture!

We really need a "Mute" option. Please.

[edited for content]

Even easier to shut Bastian up. Dismiss him unless you're fighting and need him.

Stuga will continually look for you in town until you accept her quest. Bastian doesn't show up unless you call him.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried having Bastian on the "infrequent" setting, but he was still way too chatty. There needs to be a "barely speaks" option and a "totally mute" option.