The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Account Wide Progress

• Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once again... why is the argument always "This other game does it this way... so ESO should to"? Why does ESO have to change to be like the other MMOs?

This game is already among the least "grindy" MMOs out there, unless you are a "gotta do it all, grind out the stickerbook and lead codex" type of person... and those are account achievements :joy:

Going to account wide achievements isn't going to stop you from "grinding Auridon 25 times", so I don't see the point of introducing a red herring like that.

Because those other games do it right?

What is "right" on something that is completely subjective?
    Edited by Disturbed_One on August 2, 2021 6:51PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Once again... why is the argument always "This other game does it this way... so ESO should to"? Why does ESO have to change to be like the other MMOs?

This game is already among the least "grindy" MMOs out there, unless you are a "gotta do it all, grind out the stickerbook and lead codex" type of person... and those are account achievements :joy:

Going to account wide achievements isn't going to stop you from "grinding Auridon 25 times", so I don't see the point of introducing a red herring like that.

Likely nothing in your eyes. But clearly the ones suggesting the change felt it was right. What they are asking for may or may not be good, but rejecting it just because another game does something is just as bad as taking it just because another game does something.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 2, 2021 8:27PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭

Likely nothing in your eyes. But clearly the ones suggesting the change felt it was right. What they are asking for may or may not be good, but rejecting it just because another game does something is just as bad as taking it just because another game does something.

I think ESO, as it is does it "right". A good mixture of account wide and character based things to do.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 2, 2021 8:28PM
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    Then don't do it... that's your option.

Yeah and zos will lose me on eso, because I won't be doing "it" somewhere else.
    Considering it's like 4-5 people in here posting to massively overhaul a core game system, and a similar number (maybe a few less) arguing to keep it the same... I think your "in the minority" probably isn't a minority like you think it is.

"4-5 on here." Sorry to burst your bubble, but you point to this community as an example? For one, there are Reddits, Twitter and Instagram accounts, Youtube channels, not to mention other communities, much nicer and more entertaining ways to engage in ESO discussions and sift through info imo.

That's a broad and diverse range of fans; fans that are experiencing the release of content on the regular, class changes (nerfs and buffs included) and updates. It's simple logic that the more content that trickles down and the more expansive the eso world gets, the less likely people are going to want to start a new character.

Unfortunately this is counter intuitive considering zos wants people to play different characters.
    Edited by CombatRecon11B on August 3, 2021 5:09AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think ESO, as it is does it "right". A good mixture of account wide and character based things to do.

[Edit to remove bait]

You are free to have your view as well. I do wish the devs would communicate more on these issues either way!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭

ESO is by far one of the most grindy games out there often using predatory practices (similar to the gambling industry) to increase player time in game. One great example of this is the well documented issue of change fatigue and ESO.
    Then don't do it... that's your option.

Yeah and zos will lose me on eso, because I won't be doing "it" somewhere else.
    Considering it's like 4-5 people in here posting to massively overhaul a core game system, and a similar number (maybe a few less) arguing to keep it the same... I think your "in the minority" probably isn't a minority like you think it is.

"4-5 on here." Sorry to burst your bubble, but you point to this community as an example? For one, there are Reddits, Twitter and Instagram accounts, Youtube channels, not to mention other communities, much nicer and more entertaining ways to engage in ESO discussions and sift through info imo.

That's a broad and diverse range of fans; fans that are experiencing the release of content on the regular, class changes (nerfs and buffs included) and updates. It's simple logic that the more content that trickles down and the more expansive the eso world gets, the less likely people are going to want to start a new character.

Unfortunately this is counter intuitive considering zos wants people to play different characters.

Like CombatRecon11B says as the game has been out and expanded over the last 7 years it becomes more daunting for the veteran players when considering an alt.
    I'm not asking that they drastically change the game. So you don't have to freak out over your favourite game being changed in a big way. I'm not asking them to be like a particular game.
    Usually when things like account wide achievements are put into multiple games, its because its well received and accepted. This is how some features become industry standard.
  • UglyTriangle
    UglyTriangle
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see account-wide achievements. WoW has it in place with some caveats (e.g. gladiator titles aren't shared across characters); you can also see which character actually earned the achievement if the one you're currently playing has yet to accomplish the same feat. There could be an option to only display achievements that the specific character has obtained.
    Bobo the Cowardly | Warden | Healer/MagDPS
    Spooky-Scary-Skeletons | Necromancer | MagDPS
    Incoherent-Screeching | Nightblade | MagDPS
  • Dropstitch
    Dropstitch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't prove it, but I genuinaely think that ZOS reduce longevity by making it an arse-ache for people to roll alts and re-level long timesink skills.

It probably prevents many people creating alts because they simply cba with all the artificial hoops ZOS creates in the hopes of sending their most loyal customers to the cash shop to pay for the same thing twice.

So I imagine that not only is it money-grasping, but also counter-productive.
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do "account wide achievements" reduce the "grind on leveling an alt"?

Unless you're talking about now having account wide skill points, so you don't have to do the zone quests again, or have to collect the skyshards for the skill points. That is a MASSIVE, ASTRONOMICAL change to the game, and to pass it off as "trivial" is a bold-faced lie.

Unless you're part of that very, very, very small group that "wants to have all the achievements, and show off having 46,000 achievement points" going to account wide achievements DOES NOTHING BUT ACCOMPLISH THAT.

I'm already on record as saying that there can be an "overall tab" on your achievements to show what your entire account would have, and you can flex on people your achievement point total because you had to swap characters when Necro's became the meta in end-game playing. It accomplishes the same goal as account-wide achievements, while still allowing for the replayability of other characters to show off titles, etc.

Account wide achievements by themselves would be a very small change, and if they do it, whatever, it won't make me quit. But read the posts, it's not going to reduce your grind, you'll still have to "run Auridon 25 times" to get the skill points. You'll still have to "collect the skyshards" to get your skill points (or buy them from the cash shop), you'll still have to level your horses (or buy it), run psijic line (or buy it), do your fighter's guild (or buy it)... do you see where I'm going?

You're asking for "account wide achievements" but the words that are being spoken are for "account wide (nearly) everything" so you can make a new alt, and have it be ready to go with 400 skill points, 60/60/60 riding, 9-trait crafter, level 10 psijic/mages/fighter's guild. That's not account wide achievements, that's a completely different request. And again, is a MASSIVE, ASTRONOMICAL change to the game. It would completely devalue the work and time that millions of players have put in over the last 7 years. I'm not saying there shouldn't be QoL changes. QoL changes are small things to make it easier to play. Multicraft, Transmutation, Group BoP trading, ESO has put a TON of these in the game over the last 7 years "to accomodate the new players and reduce grind" etc..

What about all the players who are in the RP scene, their character is lawful good... they now have the Assassin title available to them (because they have another character that roleplays as a member of the dark brotherhood). That would RUIN the game for them, and that group is among your most loyal base, buying costumes and other things from the crown store to fit their character.

and to those saying that ESO is
    ESO is by far one of the most grindy games out there often using predatory practices (similar to the gambling industry) to increase player time in game

everything in the ESO cash shop is optional, there is no P2W, there's Pay for Convenience, Pay to Skip gameplay, yes, but absolutely no P2W. You can have a new character leveled and ready to go into trials in 6 hours of game time, I know somebody who did it. Your gear all transfers from other characters. Every game uses these practices, even freaking Candy Crush does it (and far worse than ESO IMO, because of who it's marketed to, ESO is a rated M game, adults can make their own decisions, what I do with my personal money as an adult is nobody's business but my own)

you use hyperbole in your post, I'm allowed to as well. Thanks for mansplaining to me that "there are other communities" out there :joy:
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭

[Edit to remove bait]

You are free to have your view as well. I do wish the devs would communicate more on these issues either way!

We all wish for more dev communication, it's one of, if not the biggest issues with ESO.

That said, I'm about 95% sure they have commented on this topic (in another thread). to say that they have no interest in doing so. That's not to say they can't change their mind. But I also don't believe they're under an obligation to respond to every single thread that pops up on the topic, especially when they have already made their stance clear previously.
    Edited by Disturbed_One on August 3, 2021 4:55PM
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    How do "account wide achievements" reduce the "grind on leveling an alt"?

Unless you're talking about now having account wide skill points, so you don't have to do the zone quests again, or have to collect the skyshards for the skill points. That is a MASSIVE, ASTRONOMICAL change to the game, and to pass it off as "trivial" is a bold-faced lie.

Unless you're part of that very, very, very small group that "wants to have all the achievements, and show off having 46,000 achievement points" going to account wide achievements DOES NOTHING BUT ACCOMPLISH THAT.

I'm already on record as saying that there can be an "overall tab" on your achievements to show what your entire account would have, and you can flex on people your achievement point total because you had to swap characters when Necro's became the meta in end-game playing. It accomplishes the same goal as account-wide achievements, while still allowing for the replayability of other characters to show off titles, etc.

Account wide achievements by themselves would be a very small change, and if they do it, whatever, it won't make me quit. But read the posts, it's not going to reduce your grind, you'll still have to "run Auridon 25 times" to get the skill points. You'll still have to "collect the skyshards" to get your skill points (or buy them from the cash shop), you'll still have to level your horses (or buy it), run psijic line (or buy it), do your fighter's guild (or buy it)... do you see where I'm going?

You're asking for "account wide achievements" but the words that are being spoken are for "account wide (nearly) everything" so you can make a new alt, and have it be ready to go with 400 skill points, 60/60/60 riding, 9-trait crafter, level 10 psijic/mages/fighter's guild. That's not account wide achievements, that's a completely different request. And again, is a MASSIVE, ASTRONOMICAL change to the game. It would completely devalue the work and time that millions of players have put in over the last 7 years. I'm not saying there shouldn't be QoL changes. QoL changes are small things to make it easier to play. Multicraft, Transmutation, Group BoP trading, ESO has put a TON of these in the game over the last 7 years "to accomodate the new players and reduce grind" etc..

What about all the players who are in the RP scene, their character is lawful good... they now have the Assassin title available to them (because they have another character that roleplays as a member of the dark brotherhood). That would RUIN the game for them, and that group is among your most loyal base, buying costumes and other things from the crown store to fit their character.

and to those saying that ESO is
    ESO is by far one of the most grindy games out there often using predatory practices (similar to the gambling industry) to increase player time in game

everything in the ESO cash shop is optional, there is no P2W, there's Pay for Convenience, Pay to Skip gameplay, yes, but absolutely no P2W. You can have a new character leveled and ready to go into trials in 6 hours of game time, I know somebody who did it. Your gear all transfers from other characters. Every game uses these practices, even freaking Candy Crush does it (and far worse than ESO IMO, because of who it's marketed to, ESO is a rated M game, adults can make their own decisions, what I do with my personal money as an adult is nobody's business but my own)

you use hyperbole in your post, I'm allowed to as well. Thanks for mansplaining to me that "there are other communities" out there :joy:

If you go back and read the original post. I never asked for a skill point change. I simply asked that the things that take real life months sometimes years to grind be account wide.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skill points should have not been sold for Crowns, but either automatically across the account or some other in-game mechanism.

I still wouldn't call it Pay to Win, but it sure is annoying that the solution is quite expensive for a very tedious grind.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care for the skillpoints ot whatever, I'd just like account-wide achievements.