The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Account Wide Progress

• kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind that there are character specific achievements and such, but I would love a feature that gives you an account wide tracking of achievements.

I stopped caring about having one character as my "main" a long time ago. I've used every class (except sorcerer) as a "main" for dungeons and trials, so I have some trials achievements on some characters and some dungeon achievements on others, but I like to track if I have done Hard Mode, No Death, and Speed run for every dungeon on at least one character. Having a convenient way to check that (without an add on) would be great. Especially if there was a summary page that added up all of your progress across characters.
    Playing since beta...
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them?

They all get Champion Points.

Maybe they shouldn't.

So you will argue against even features they have implemented?

They say as they argue against features that have already been implemented...
    Edited by Disturbed_One on August 1, 2021 3:00PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them?

Yes they do, through no effort from themselves and I don't agree with it. Even with account-wide CPs, however, at the very least they shouldn't be able to be enabled on characters below level 50.

I don't think you can start applying Champion Points until you are level 50, but I haven't leveled an alt in a long time. But I play every day and still only have 1083 CP. That is a long way from 3600 and if I had to earn those points individually for each character I'd probably just give up.
    PCNA
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes they do, through no effort from themselves and I don't agree with it. Even with account-wide CPs, however, at the very least they shouldn't be able to be enabled on characters below level 50.

I don't think you can start applying Champion Points until you are level 50, but I haven't leveled an alt in a long time. But I play every day and still only have 1083 CP. That is a long way from 3600 and if I had to earn those points individually for each character I'd probably just give up.

You can.

You don't earn any progress towards more CP until you hit 50.

But you can most definitely apply them to your under 50 character.
    Edited by Disturbed_One on August 1, 2021 2:47PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    slimwaffle wrote: »
    Just putting it out there that I think more things should be account wide.
    I play 1 character a DK but this gets really stale especially during periods where DK aren't doing to well.
    But the thing that stops me from playing a second character is that I have made too much progress on this one to even consider playing another character.
    It is my belief that the important things should be account wide.
    The things I would like to see as account wide are; Achievements, Researched Crafting traits and Mount training.
    All of these things take a really long time to grind out and it would be cool if you didn't have to for each character.

no.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have 3600 CPs you can apply them to a newly created lvl 1 alt, which is half the reason people complain that the overland content is too easy.

I don't for a moment suggest that the present pooled cap of 3600 CPs would remain if CPs became character-specific, clearly there'd be a reduced amount. Just as if people wanted a character-specific achievement for killing 100 mudcrabs made account-wide they'd have to kill 1000 mudcrabs to get the achievement.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have 3600 CPs you can apply them to a newly created lvl 1 alt, which is half the reason people complain that the overland content is too easy.

I wasn't aware of that, and I definitely don't agree with it. But I still think sharing the progress for players over level 50 is a good thing.
    PCNA
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    slimwaffle wrote: »
    Just putting it out there that I think more things should be account wide.
    I play 1 character a DK but this gets really stale especially during periods where DK aren't doing to well.
    But the thing that stops me from playing a second character is that I have made too much progress on this one to even consider playing another character.
    It is my belief that the important things should be account wide.
    The things I would like to see as account wide are; Achievements, Researched Crafting traits and Mount training.
    All of these things take a really long time to grind out and it would be cool if you didn't have to for each character.

I feel the same way.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Kusto wrote: »
    GenjiraX wrote: »
    Achievements are one of the main ways you measure a character’s progress, so no.

Characters don't play on their own, I play them, so the achievements are mine and so is the progress. If I have certain trial clear with 10 toons, do you think I'm not capable of clearing it with my 11th. Its such a pain if you play with multiple characters and have different clears and trifectas distributed randomly between them.

You can't get an achievement without a character. It isn't you alone getting that achievement. It is you and the character working together to get the achievement. You don't play on your own just like your characters do not play on their own.

And it would depend on what that eleventh character is.

Cool. So let's have an achievement sheet for the character, and an achievement sheet for me only fair since we both participated right?

We totally should, and I don't get why people are so against the idea.

I like seeing my character's achievements. There are a few things in game that are triggered based on a certain character having a certain achievement, so it would be a bit of programming in the first place to completely decouple achievements to be global, but it would be nice for people who play multiple alts to be able to see a global list. It'd really help to say "gee, I want to pick a character who hasn't done dungeon quest XYZ yet so I can get a skill point" without having to go through a bunch of loading screens first.

I wouldn't mind seeing a global tab - there are addons that do that anyway. But there are people who are also very against having anything by character and it should all be global. What, do you think that RPing is a silly thing to do in an RPG? Of course some people see their character as important.

But the game is also designed around grinding those per character. We're not magically going to go from "do 150 Jee-Lar dailies" to "do 150 Jee-Lar dailies over the lifetime of your account." It'll probably be more like "do 1500 total, enjoy!" And don't forget about the potential for "Get Godslayer using all classes and all roles!"
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭
    Achievements are one of the main ways you measure a character’s progress, so no.

Characters don't play on their own, I play them, so the achievements are mine and so is the progress. If I have certain trial clear with 10 toons, do you think I'm not capable of clearing it with my 11th. Its such a pain if you play with multiple characters and have different clears and trifectas distributed randomly between them.

You can't get an achievement without a character. It isn't you alone getting that achievement. It is you and the character working together to get the achievement. You don't play on your own just like your characters do not play on their own.

Cool. So let's have an achievement sheet for the character, and an achievement sheet for me only fair since we both participated right?

I like seeing my character's achievements. There are a few things in game that are triggered based on a certain character having a certain achievement, so it would be a bit of programming in the first place to completely decouple achievements to be global, but it would be nice for people who play multiple alts to be able to see a global list. It'd really help to say "gee, I want to pick a character who hasn't done dungeon quest XYZ yet so I can get a skill point" without having to go through a bunch of loading screens first.

I wouldn't mind seeing a global tab - there are addons that do that anyway. But there are people who are also very against having anything by character and it should all be global. What, do you think that RPing is a silly thing to do in an RPG? Of course some people see their character as important.

But the game is also designed around grinding those per character. We're not magically going to go from "do 150 Jee-Lar dailies" to "do 150 Jee-Lar dailies over the lifetime of your account." It'll probably be more like "do 1500 total, enjoy!" And don't forget about the potential for "Get Godslayer using all classes and all roles!"

This.

I would play alts less if there were global achievements. "Oh, I already got that on my other character... no point in learning this new class to try and get it on them, as I'll get nothing extra for it"

I think this game has a good balance of account wide (CP, momentos, outfit styles, gear, etc..) items and character (skill points, achievements, motifs, etc..)

I've played other MMOs that have full account wide (even to the point that you can only do some quests once per account, never getting to do them again), and others that are full character. ESO strikes a good, happy medium, in my opinion.

Almost every argument I see for a change in ESO is that "This game does it this way..." Don't understand why people want to change ESO to be like that "other game"... just play the "other game" then if it's what you want.

You want an account overview (as add-ons do on PC), yes, absolutely, fine. But making the whole thing account bound would take away everything from those that play the character, while changing almost nothing for those that want to play the account (other than the "grindy" achievements becoming 10x more "grindy")
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about this:
    1. Keep individual achiement and achievement point like they are currently
    2. Add a new tab to the achevement menu that would track all achievement and their point accross all character on the account while also showing wich charater as them. The idea is for it to work like what we have the tracking would go up to (insert current max achiement point x 18)
    3. They could also had global achiement that are meant to be acheved on multiple character

This would allow all of us who like their individual achiement to keep them, while also adding some thing for the who want to get their acheivement on all of their characters
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this:
    1. Keep individual achiement and achievement point like they are currently
    2. Add a new tab to the achevement menu that would track all achievement and their point accross all character on the account while also showing wich charater as them. The idea is for it to work like what we have the tracking would go up to (insert current max achiement point x 18)
    3. They could also had global achiement that are meant to be acheved on multiple character

This would allow all of us who like their individual achiement to keep them, while also adding some thing for the who want to get their acheivement on all of their characters

While I've mentioned here my agreement with account achievement summaries, I've also welcomed elsewhere the idea of additional account-wide achievements to reflect those things you've done on multiple characters.

How about a different idea as well? How about linking those account-wide achievements in the game with your status here on the forum? Say you have 18 characters with Master Angler titles, and you become a Grandmaster Angler which is displayed under your name here on the forum? It might encourage more people to post here, and it would add more weight to your opinion when posting on say suggested improvements to the fishing system. It could even be a useful complement to the old class rep system.
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭

This.

I would play alts less if there were global achievements. "Oh, I already got that on my other character... no point in learning this new class to try and get it on them, as I'll get nothing extra for it"

I think this game has a good balance of account wide (CP, momentos, outfit styles, gear, etc..) items and character (skill points, achievements, motifs, etc..)

I've played other MMOs that have full account wide (even to the point that you can only do some quests once per account, never getting to do them again), and others that are full character. ESO strikes a good, happy medium, in my opinion.

Almost every argument I see for a change in ESO is that "This game does it this way..." Don't understand why people want to change ESO to be like that "other game"... just play the "other game" then if it's what you want.

You want an account overview (as add-ons do on PC), yes, absolutely, fine. But making the whole thing account bound would take away everything from those that play the character, while changing almost nothing for those that want to play the account (other than the "grindy" achievements becoming 10x more "grindy")

Why not make it optional, so players can decide for themselves whether to start an unexplored character, or utilize the account wide progress?

Many might find themselves going both routes with their different characters anyway, and that would make for a huge improvement, I think.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've advocated for a tab in achievements that lists all achievements gained that could be separated by character. It would let a player see every achievement they have done and also show achievements on individual characters.
    Some people want account wide achievements because they want account wide titles. Some want account wide achievements so if one character catches a trophy fish it counts on all other characters so they don't have to use just one character to complete an achievement. I am against booth those ideas but being able to see achievements across all your characters would be fine with me.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they shouldn't.

I argued against them before they were put in game. From my point of view saying what about champion points is akin to saying hey they already made one mistake why not let them make another.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Maybe they shouldn't.

I argued against them before they were put in game. From my point of view saying what about champion points is akin to saying hey they already made one mistake why not let them make another.

Making it more of a pain for players is always a good thing, right?

[snip]

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on August 2, 2021 1:33AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they shouldn't.

Making it more of a pain for players is always a good thing, right?

[snip]

[Edited for Baiting]

I advocate playing the game. I have a 2nd account so I could start from the beginning again. What others call a grind I call playing the game.
    If we are allowed to do everything quick we will reach a point where we say now what and move on to something else. That isn't good for the game. I oppose many of these end the grind ideas because I think that are bad for the long term health of the game. People say they would play more if they could have account wide achievements and other stuff. I know they think that but I really doubt it is true.
    I only argue against things I disagree with. Most the things in these forums I disagree with I feel would long term be bad for the game. Others I argue against I feel would be a waste of resources. Like when people ask for a PvP overland instance. It would be empty in a week.
    Plenty of ideas I have agreed with.

I disagree with a lot of your suggestions because they usually involve being rewarded for skipping part of the game or involve a shortcut instead of playing the game. Most of what you call quality of life or convenience I call skipping playing the game.

If you go back and search you can find where I supported the idea of having more skills work different against players than they do against non player enemies. I think that is a change that would be good for the game.
    Edited by Psiion on August 2, 2021 1:34AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill 1000 of this enemy and any achievement that unlocks dyes should be account wide. Some classes are better at defeating certain types of enemies, so let all my characters do their part.

Also, these unlock dyes. It's silly that they don't unlock for all characters. We already share style pages and outfits so why not dyes?

If some quest items are sharable by all, and zone objectives like the Blackwood Tapestry, why are achievements so different?
    Edited by SilverBride on August 2, 2021 1:56AM
    PCNA
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dyes are account wide.

Achievements should remain locked to characters. Getting part of an achievement on one character and finishing it on another takes away from the achievement.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dyes are account wide.

Achievements should remain locked to characters. Getting part of an achievement on one character and finishing it on another takes away from the achievement.

How?

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them? Surely that would be a logical request as you consider that you did the quest and not the character?

For many players the whole point of having multiple characters is to do the game's content on all of them, in some cases picking and choosing some of it according to the characters (my assassin nightblade has done the Thieves Guild, my lawful good Templar has not, and I'm not even a role-player).

Except, that already happens. If you complete a quest on your level 50 character, all of your characters get that experience towards their CP total. I've done the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines on a couple of my Nightblades, and my Templar has certainly benefited from that XP.
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put it this way, I was looking to roll a new tank to learn the role and provide more to the community.

But the more I unlock / progress on my main, the bigger the gap to progress any alt to catch up.

So I won't bother.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dyes are account wide.

How?

The effort involved. Remember it is the journey not the destination.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dyes are account wide.

How?

Which completely avoids the question.

What difference does it make if the journey is on a single character or a group owned by the same person? The effort would still have been put it.

Note how many times it has been completed if you really want multiple journeys to matter, but making many of these on even a single character is quite good.

I say this as someone who has made very few of them and is also an altoholic. I have ground through Auridon questline on 25 or so characters now, so I can handle repetition, but I see no reason to require it.

I have yet to see a good reason for that either other than an implied "I did it so you must suffer too!"
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on August 2, 2021 4:59AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Which completely avoids the question."

No it answered the question and did so succinctly. I've got characters that have trophies other characters do not. Eventually I plan to get all the trophy hunter achievements on one character. Being able to share trophies across characters makes the challenge so much easier. Takes away from that feeling once you finally accomplish it.

I have given you the reason in this thread and in multiple others. It wouldn't be good for the long term health of the game. Players would reach all their goals quick and then be at a loss for what to do next. That usually means they leave the game.

Has not one thing to do with I did it so should others. That is something you read into the messages because it fits your point of view but it isn't something most of us say.

And you shouldn't grind Auridon. This is a game. You should do things that you enjoy not things you find to be a grind.
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    Dyes are account wide.

How?

Most other games that implement account wide achievements still allow you to collect achievements per character if you wish to do so.
    I disagree that account wide would take away from these achievements. For effort involved. Those who want to spend the extra time could and those who don't wouldn't have to. Making the game more enjoyable for both parties not just one side.
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once again... why is the argument always "This other game does it this way... so ESO should to"? Why does ESO have to change to be like the other MMOs?

This game is already among the least "grindy" MMOs out there, unless you are a "gotta do it all, grind out the stickerbook and lead codex" type of person... and those are account achievements :joy:

Going to account wide achievements isn't going to stop you from "grinding Auridon 25 times", so I don't see the point of introducing a red herring like that.
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    I want for optional account shared progress. Make it optional, so those that don't want it don't have to do it.

Those against are, I'm fairly certain, in the minority and the minority will grow with each release of additional content.

That is the nature of the beast, whether people like it or not. So, if they wish to please the player base zos will inevitably have to make this change regardless.

I've read and heard it all before... "Starting another character isn't a grind for me." Perhaps not for you, but it becomes a more daunting endeavor for more and more players.

A lot of people don't want to play the same story over and over and over again. Making this an ultimatum for everyone to experience new characters does more harm, than good, especially given the multitude of rinse and repeat quests in ESO.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Once again... why is the argument always "This other game does it this way... so ESO should to"? Why does ESO have to change to be like the other MMOs?

This game is already among the least "grindy" MMOs out there, unless you are a "gotta do it all, grind out the stickerbook and lead codex" type of person... and those are account achievements :joy:

Going to account wide achievements isn't going to stop you from "grinding Auridon 25 times", so I don't see the point of introducing a red herring like that.

Because those other games do it right?
    I want for optional account shared progress. Make it optional, so those that don't want it don't have to do it.

Those against are, I'm fairly certain, in the minority and the minority will grow with each release of additional content.

That is the nature of the beast, whether people like it or not. So, if they wish to please the player base zos will inevitably have to make this change regardless.

I've read and heard it all before... "Starting another character isn't a grind for me." Perhaps not for you, but it becomes a more daunting endeavor for more and more players.

A lot of people don't want to play the same story over and over and over again. Making this an ultimatum for everyone to experience new characters does more harm, than good, especially given the multitude of rinse and repeat quests in ESO.

Just add a #x factor to indicate how many times someone has earned the achievement if you want to account for grinding on multiple characters.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭

Then don't do it... that's your option.

Statistically people are 10x more likely to speak up when they want change versus keeping the status quo on an "anonymous" online forum (real life is a different story). Ever wonder why you see so many negative reviews on products... because only the people with a problem feel it necessary to make a comment, whereas for the people who are happy with the product they don't have that same incentive to make that post.

Considering it's like 4-5 people in here posting to massively overhaul a core game system, and a similar number (maybe a few less) arguing to keep it the same... I think your "in the minority" probably isn't a minority like you think it is.

As has been said many times... there are other games that fit your wants and desires when it comes to achievements and account wide content. Why do you want to change this game into those others... when there are clearly people who are happy with how this game works.

(And an "optional" thing doesn't work) By all means, and IT HAS BEEN SAID A DOZEN TIMES ALREADY, put in an "overall" tab that shows the account wide achievements. There's an add-on for this already for PC, so you can see how many "points" your entire account would have. There is your other option.

There are things already tied to achievements that affect game mechanics. Master Writ drop rates are tied to motif achievements, trait research, etc.

They already completely locked a players account messing with achievements for 10 months in another thread, to think they could do that to the whole game scares me.