The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does taunt from Tormentor proc Tremorscale? Seeing mixed answers

HafCoJoe
HafCoJoe
Greetings! Simple question, does the taunt applied to enemies by the Tormentor gear set fulfill the taunt requirement from Tremorscale monster set? I've seen a handful of mentions of this synergy from different years saying it both does and doesn't, and there's evidence to suggest the wording of tremorscale has changed over the years.

Tormentor 5pc bonus:
When you deal direct damage with a Charge, Leap, Teleport or Pull ability, you gain 3642 Physical and Spell Resistance and taunt the enemy to attack you for 15 seconds.

Tremorscale 2pc bonus:
When you activate a taunt ability on an enemy, you cause a duneripper to burst from the ground beneath them after 1 second, dealing 0 Physical Damage to all enemies within 4 meters and reducing their Physical Resistance by 2395 for 8 seconds. This effect can occur once every 8 seconds and the damage scales off the higher of your Physical or Spell Resistance.

Note that Tremorscale says 'taunt ability' and not just 'taunt'. This seems to imply it only procs on Puncture, Inner fire, and Frost Clench, and specifically not proc from Tormentor; the only fourth source of taunt in ESO.
Edited by HafCoJoe on July 31, 2021 8:48AM
Adventure is closest when farthest from home.

Best Answer

• EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It does not trigger tremorscale. Tested about 6 months ago, but AFAIK nothing changed regarding these sets.

However, "procs don't proc procs" is not a thing to believe blindly. Keyword here is in Tremorscale's description - When you activate a taunt ability.

Some examples: Infernal guardian requires shield to proc. I can be skill, it can be proc from combat physician, prayer shawl, shield enchant, even psijic block passive. However, Trinimac's Valor states that it needs shield skill. So you can proc it with DK shield or Bone wall, even Ice Staff Wall of Elements. But mentioned proc sets won't work.

To go further, sets like Sellistrix, Syvarra's and Pillar of Nirn trigger 100% from any damage. Condition is just damage. You can wear all three, hit dummy once, and endless procs will eventually kill dummy. Well, at least precursor, that I tested. Would not like to waste half a day waiting for trial dummy to die. I'm not sure if they cooldowns ever align so maybe at some point they take all together last time and no procs are triggered, but they can go by themselves for a couple of minutes for sure.

Azureblight gains stacks from proc set DoTs (such as same Syvarra) as another example, as it does not require ability either.

Tormentor itself can be procced by Swarm Mother. Automatic tank mode!

So, read descriptions carefully. Also, you can go on PTS and test any combos with no need to grind. Highly recommend this way.

Edited by EF321 on July 31, 2021 12:50PM
    Answer ✓
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didnt test but usually procs cant procs something else
  • HafCoJoe
    HafCoJoe
    Didnt test but usually procs cant procs something else

This was also said in older posts but like you said it isn't consistent; things like Iceheart and Frozen Watcher proc Azureblight Reaper, so it stands to reason other sets may interact as well.

It would seem rather odd not to include this set for tremorscale considering it is the only source of taunt in the game besides puncture/inner fire/frost clench, yeah?
    Edited by HafCoJoe on July 31, 2021 8:52AM
  • HafCoJoe
    HafCoJoe
    EF321 wrote: »

Huh... that's even stranger though, since tormentor says it procs when you deal damage with a Charge, Leap, Teleport, or Pull ability and Swarm Mother does no damage. More inconsistencies, bah!

Glad to know for certain that it does not proc tremorscale, though. Thank you for your reply.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HafCoJoe wrote: »
    EF321 wrote: »

Huh... that's even stranger though, since tormentor says it procs when you deal damage with a Charge, Leap, Teleport, or Pull ability and Swarm Mother does no damage. More inconsistencies, bah!

Glad to know for certain that it does not proc tremorscale, though. Thank you for your reply.

Wait, it could've been soft taunt then from applying CC. I definitely remember them focusing me after pull, but it could have been not relevant to tormentor at all.

Better assume that you are right, it's been a while since I had tormentor. Sorry :)
  • HafCoJoe
    HafCoJoe
    No worries! That's a good observation then, it was probably just a soft taunt. Thank you again for your reply! I might start a thread asking to have Tremorscale reworked so it procs from any taunts and add a poll to see if others agree.