The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PS4 Voice chat - please clarify

Hallothiel
Hallothiel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So automatically being dropped into Area Chat is now a ‘feature’ and something we can’t stop from happening? We have to manually click *out* of it?

Fantastic. Great. Lovely.

Ffs.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 4, 2021 6:08PM
  • Feljax
    Feljax
    ✭✭✭
    It's been like this for years. The problem now is that with many on PS5, their mics are turned on by default, so we're hearing a lot more random living room chatter than we used to.

But yes, I find it very annoying to have to log out of area chat every time I log in. I wish there was an option to stay out of it by default.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feljax wrote: »
    It's been like this for years. The problem now is that with many on PS5, their mics are turned on by default, so we're hearing a lot more random living room chatter than we used to.

But yes, I find it very annoying to have to log out of area chat every time I log in. I wish there was an option to stay out of it by default.

It only became a thing with Blackwood.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would give us a reason for this change. When you start a new character, I believe voice chat is enabled (and I think text chat may be off) so its not like people don't know it exists.

I wonder what problem ZOS thinks they are solving with this change because forcing people into chat is only going to annoy many of them, not make them decide that talking to strangers is what their lives have been missing.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) It is intended that you automatically join zone chat (...)
    Edited by redlink1979 on July 28, 2021 10:11PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Its_MySniff
    Its_MySniff
    ✭✭✭
    If you opted for area chat before Blackwood, you loaded into area chat Everytime. It only changed if you left area chat in options or whatever. Yes, there is a new issue since Blackwood and Ps5. Kind of odd hearing another group in a different battlegrounds talking junk. Oh well, gotta love the game to overlook these issues. Enjoy!
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    (...) It is intended that you automatically join zone chat (...)

This is not desired. Default should be off or whatever chat we were in last time we logged out.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it says something about the chat issue when you log in, that it is not intentional and they will fix it. I like the bug in battlegrounds, when you join one, you start hearing someone elses group chat and they are not even in the bgs with you, not in your group or any other groups. I think they are in a different bg instance. At the moment i think the voice chat is not private, some non-group member might hear you.
  • Orb
    Orb
    Soul Shriven
    Oh no, being plopped into area chat when you log in is totally intentional. What wasn’t intentional and has apparently been fixed with today’s patch was that your mic was also turned on when you were plopped into area chat. From a prior discussion on the chat subject...
    Hey everyone, thanks for all your reports on this. Just wanted to touch on a few things called out:
    1. It is intended that you automatically join zone chat
    2. It is NOT intended that you automatically join with talk enabled - this is a bug that we will fix in a future incremental patch
    3. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances, which we're also working on fixing

It’s a really obnoxious change. I don’t want to have to opt out of hearing the madness that is area chat every time I log in. I never actually want to hear area chat, would never choose to enter area chat, so why am I now forced into area chat when I decide to log into the game? I just don’t see what the point of doing this is. It just seems rude, like the devs know what’s best for us. You will voice chat and you will like it!
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orb wrote: »
    Oh no, being plopped into area chat when you log in is totally intentional. What wasn’t intentional and has apparently been fixed with today’s patch was that your mic was also turned on when you were plopped into area chat. From a prior discussion on the chat subject...
    Hey everyone, thanks for all your reports on this. Just wanted to touch on a few things called out:
    1. It is intended that you automatically join zone chat
    2. It is NOT intended that you automatically join with talk enabled - this is a bug that we will fix in a future incremental patch
    3. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances, which we're also working on fixing

It’s a really obnoxious change. I don’t want to have to opt out of hearing the madness that is area chat every time I log in. I never actually want to hear area chat, would never choose to enter area chat, so why am I now forced into area chat when I decide to log into the game? I just don’t see what the point of doing this is. It just seems rude, like the devs know what’s best for us. You will voice chat and you will like it!

Agree, the first thing I do with a new character is log out of area chat, even before I change all my other options to my preference. Now I have to do it every time I log in
    Soupy twist
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the change either.....

There is a sort of fix if you are on PS5, you can turn of mics in the PS5 settings. So when you log in you actually don't hear anything but you still see the voice icon on screen with someone's name if they talk. Then you have to leave chat to remove that icon of course. I don't recall if this option is on PS4.

The bad thing about doing this tho, is that when I join a group for a Dungeon or PVP and I DO want to hear them, I can't because it is turned off in my PS5 settings........I dunno maybe the extra button on my PS5 can fix that, not done any dungeons recently.

But yeah, this change was NOT needed and is NOT appreciated. I really don't need to hear other people's music, burping, or being a troll in general for "Attention" purposes when logging into a game. If I wanted that I would go and play some COD or something...
    Edited by Paulytnz on July 29, 2021 6:48AM
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should implement it for PC, so then they could see how detrimental it really is.
  • ScaniX
    ScaniX
    ✭✭✭
    As Paulytnz said, there is an option on the PS5 to completely disable ingame voice chats. If you don't play other games that need it, this is a good workaround.
    I agree that being forced to hear strangers say strange things is... questionable.
    PS5 - Dolchsturz - Werwolfzauberer & Vampirtempler
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I loathe this change. Everyone I know across all my guilds loathe it.

Area chat is horrible. Its either someone playing obnoxious music loudly, or chatting away to a person off-mike (which could be rather personal info).

This is utterly unnecessary and detrimental to the game - so why was it done?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Kevin
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My very first experience of area chat way back on my first day at console release was being sweared at and called names (for picking a node I think) so since then it's stayed off. Now I'm forced into it every time. Great change.

The intention was probably to encourage people to use it but all it's done is make me turn player voice right down in settings (and I'm glad it's now actually working) so I'm missing out on group chat too, which I quite liked having on.
    PS4 EU
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged in this morning, before I could turn off local voice chat I woke up my household with a couple of kids meowing at the top of their lungs in Mournhold VC.
    Come on ZOS let me choose to enable local chat if I want to, don't force it!
  • Feljax
    Feljax
    ✭✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »

I've had to log out of area chat every time I first log in since I started playing in 2017. The issue has become more noticeable because we're hearing more people due to the PS5 mic issue which started with Blackwood (and also you can hear everyone in BGs now too, which wasn't the case before Blackwood).

There was a bug that would make you constantly log in and out of Area chat, essentially making it so you weren't in it but otherwise, the game has been trying to make us stay in area chat every time we first log in for years. Very annoying.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've had to log out of area chat every time I first log in since I started playing in 2017. The issue has become more noticeable because we're hearing more people due to the PS5 mic issue which started with Blackwood (and also you can hear everyone in BGs now too, which wasn't the case before Blackwood).

There was a bug that would make you constantly log in and out of Area chat, essentially making it so you weren't in it but otherwise, the game has been trying to make us stay in area chat every time we first log in for years. Very annoying.

I've been lucky then as it was only since Blackwood that I have been logged into area chat, as it was always the first thing I did when I created a character was to log them out and didn't need to do it repeatedly. I go in group chat often, so I see if I am in area chat or not
    Soupy twist
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »

I've been lucky then as it was only since Blackwood that I have been logged into area chat, as it was always the first thing I did when I created a character was to log them out and didn't need to do it repeatedly. I go in group chat often, so I see if I am in area chat or not

Same. Ever since I started playing back in 2017 or so, once a new character turned off area voice chat for the first time, it STAYED off until or unless I chose to re-enter area voice chat.

Only since Blackwood am I thrust into it against my will and have to exit every single login of every single toon. And sometimes I get tossed right back in if I travel to a new map.

It's awful and unwanted.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This^^ It's really easy to turn them off...for the love of god people!
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They turn it back on when you travel to another zone and you have to turn it off again.
    And you can't turn it off during the loading screen till you get control of your character so all kinds of things come out my monitor speakers if I am not wearing a headset at that time. I takes 5 button presses to turn it off, more than it takes to bomb a resource flag full of players. lol
    Edited by TequilaFire on July 30, 2021 2:05PM
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    I loathe this change. Everyone I know across all my guilds loathe it.

Area chat is horrible. Its either someone playing obnoxious music loudly, or chatting away to a person off-mike (which could be rather personal info).

This is utterly unnecessary and detrimental to the game - so why was it done?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Kevin

Pretty much this, i was crossing my fingers they’d fix this issue, i’m tired of being dumped into area chat and having to listen to someone’s music playlist