The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Ball...breaker groups? Heh

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4. The MagNecro Bomber (NoProc)

How it works:
    When you want to kill a ball group, you have to to the maths first: How many skills do you have that to do reasonably good damage against them in a short burst period? You will find that those are also mostly the skills you have in your Death Recap when fighting against THEM. As a rule of thumb, every skill that does more than 4k AoE damage against players is "okay". Furthermore, PvP burst works best when you can apply the damage as a "delayed" burst. An example: Inevitable Deto needs at worst 4 seconds to explode (but only maybe 2 against purging enemies), so you can combine its damage with maybe 1-2 other skill which are used after it. That's the reason MagSorcs are generally the best Ranged Deto users, as they can use ID even against single targets as a part of their delayed burst (4 seconds ID, 3 seconds curse, 2 seconds rage, + Overload Light Attack and finally Frags).
    MagNecros have the most skills in this category of any class, namely: Blastbones and the Grave Robber self- synergy. Both do maybe 5k damage. combine it with a Deto of 8k damage and an ultimate of at least 7k damage, and you have reached more than 24k AoE damage in one burst. The problem here is reliability (Blastbones are REALLY unreliable) and your lack of execute skills.

a) equipment

Like a MagBlade bomber, I would experiment with certain sets to see what yields the best results. A good all-around choice is rattlecage. It is vital, though, that your jewelry is enchanted with the HARMONY trait.

b) skills

Buffs: Combat Prayer, Degeneration, Mist Form (you need to be a Vampire)
    Debuffs: Razor Caltrops
    main damage skills: Proxy OR Inevitable Deto -> Avid Boneyard -> Stalking Blastbones -> Vulcanic Rune -> Ultimate -> Self-Synergy.
    Executes: Either Impulse (fire) or Hungry Scythe

If you use a Fire staff, add Impulse at least twice to it: One Impulse as the first skill that touches your victims, and multiple impulses as a finisher.
    Furthermore, some skills need to be used in another order depending on whether you use Inevitable Detonation or Proxy.

c1) The Proxy Bomber playstyle
    Proxy Necro bombers are good in situations where your glaring weakness compared to a bombblade, you lack of stealth, is not really relevant. An example would be a ball group hanging around at the second flag of a small keep. Proxy Necroes typically use a fire staff and Impulse, and also Eye-of-the Storm as Ultimate, as they need to be the centre of the explosions to make up for their missing 8% damage compared to other weapon types.

c2) The Inevitable Bomber playstyle
    Inevitable Necro bombers are better on open field, as they don't have to go "all in": You can have multiple attempts to succeed, and will not die in the first attempt like a proxy bomber. However, you don't have a viable execute, as you will probably use a lightning staff, or a two handed weapon. Unlike the proxy bomber, you can effectively use a Dawnbreaker instead of Eye-of-the-Storm.

d) recommended: I would use cloak potions to replicate the bombblade playstyle.
    Edited by Thraben on February 22, 2021 5:42PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play in some sort of ball and I am certainly not the best(so take my advice with a pinch of salt). I think it should be doable, but aren't you creating a ball group to kill ball groups?

Did you just find the source of lag?!?
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    get a few mates together put on a bomb build and spam inev debts. It hurts.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great thread... I've been running an Azureblight/VD stamnecro for awhile, tried it on stam sorc first, like the necro better. It can be very effective but, as was said previously, patience is the key. Choke points are your only hope. NPCs are your friends if you can get a ball group to run through a bunch of them and make them all pop. Didn't like using the VMA 2H with this setup, maybe if there was no lag ever. Been running the Vateshran S+B back bar, which is glorious when it works but honestly there's usually so much cc immunity going on in ball group fights that it's hardly ever effective. Probably recommend Vateshran 2H back bar instead.
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    I play in some sort of ball and I am certainly not the best(so take my advice with a pinch of salt). I think it should be doable, but aren't you creating a ball group to kill ball groups?

Did you just find the source of lag?!?

Ha, ha, Ironically yes. That was my original angle. The thought was a ball group that would actually have the campaign objectives in mind to form up and eliminate ball groups that were purely running around the keeps to farm AP. This can be frustrating at times as you wish to take an objective, secure it quickly as part of a thrust deeper in to enemy territory, and move on to the next one before being bogged down. This is a problem when you take one alliance keep and a ball group from the third alliance sweeps in and plays round and round the mulberry bush.

To be clear, I am not saying that a ball group is wrong, or not a legitimate form of play at all. I was just contemplating a counter with a more strategic outlook. They are harder to deal with, with smaller groups now (not wrong or unfair, just different) so I was interested in how they work as mindless weight of numbers wouldn't have worked with cross-healing disabled too.

I must say, I have really enjoyed input from the ball group sides too. It is interesting reading. All forms of play are legitimate in Cyro, in my opinion, (even if it makes me scream and pound the keyboard occasionally) because at the end of the day, it keeps Cyro populated. Lag is the real enemy and I won't blame any type of play style for causing the lag because it wouldn't exist if the pvp servers got some love and attention. Even I, as a filthy casual pvp'er can clearly see the improvement that quietly happens and mysteriously disappears, after midyear Mayhem...
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot will depend on the ball group you face, and the tactics that they use--watch and observe, do fake pushes.
    I generally run in a group that either doesn't have a bomber, or has one, but everyone else is single target/small scale spec'd.

If the group believes that you have a bomber, they will wait for your "bomb" and then usually spread out...when they spread out they are sitting ducks if you have people with great single target damage in group, you may need to call targets--but most ball group players are easy to kill without group near by due to how they have to set up for ball group. You don't even need to get them that far away from others., you can kill them in clumps of 3 and 4. Over the years, Ive been in organized groups that have taken out every known ball group with this tactic. The problem is, going against a good leader it won't work after a while and they will just avoid your known group.

Running in a more formal ball group, we carry 2 negates, because the other factions always counter negate. Negate is huge if you want to ult dump a ball group. Fear/streak inisde of Negate and you're golden as Ball groups tend to run heavy on magic users.

But, Also if you ignore them they can't make AP or they will get bored, or both, so that is also a tactic.
    The main group I run in, often gets ignored and we move on.

Good Luck!
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    addendum: Are game balance changes needed?

Without procsets, it is really hard for a normal stamina player to have any impact on a battle when a ball group is knocking on the main gate.

Thus, the only skill change that is really needed would be a Stamina equivalent for Inevitable Detonation.

The Undaunted skill "Trapping Webs" has seen many iterations, and neither made the skill particularly great. One could change it so its area debuff sticks to the targets and explodes when being removed.

This would still only be half the damage a normal detonation does, but it would be enough for a large zerg of stamina players to actually do something.

Since hardly anyone else uses purge frequently, this change would only hurt organised guild groups.
    Edited by Thraben on July 16, 2021 7:30AM

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 The StamSorc - Bomber

This build is for NoCP, no Proc. A MagSorc could do a rather similar thing, but I think it's useful to give the Stamina classes more builds to choose from.

How it works:

StamSorcs are generally known for their abiltiy to disengange, not for their offensive firepower. This is, however, a matter of playstyle. Aside from their mobility, they have a skill that is interesting from a mechanics point of view: Overload. It's an Ultimate that won't prevent you from using another Ultimate thereafter, so you can use it more or less like a normal skill.

The basic principle is that Overload can be buffed by a large amount. This can be done by using the Off-Balance status effect (here: Wall of Lightning on concussed target; of course it's easier to just have a Necro off-balance the group), and by using the Empower buff (there are multiple sources of Empower, but it's easiest to use a Mages Guild ability).

After using one or two ticks of Overload, one can decide whether the attack is promising enough to go all in and use the true Ultimate (Dawnbreaker or Eye-of-the-Storm), followed up by the execute skill of choice, or try again later.

a) Equipment
    Maximize Weapon Crit and Weapondamage/ Stamina. As usual, it's always a good idea to have tri-stat armor enchantments.

b) unusual skills: Overload on one bar, Dawnbreaker/Storm on the second; Race Against the time;

After the usual buffs, use: Silver Shard --> Lightning Flood -> Wall of Lightning -> (Chrystal Weapon) -> Vulcanic Rune -> (Weapon Switch) Heavy Overload;

when promising:

-> Eye of the Storm -> (Borrowed Time) -> Whirlwind.

Alternatively, one can use Reverse Slice.

Recommended:

Either have a Necro as partner (his synergy would be REALLY nice if you wear harmony), or prepare the bomb area in advance, by using a delayed damage siege ((cold) fire treb or 1-2 catapults)
    Edited by Thraben on March 12, 2021 4:43PM

• Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah true pug groups are useless to fight them, need some coordination at a minimum, and need numbers and good group comp.
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    Sure speccing all towards one goal is great so long as you never have to fight anybody else. Not to mention what what with 33% aoe damage reduction you'd be laughed at by any stam toon
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kordai wrote: »
    Sure speccing all towards one goal is great so long as you never have to fight anybody else.

Not to mention what what with 33% aoe damage reduction you'd be laughed at by any stam toon

And as long as people are thinking what you said, as long as no one as willing to sacrifice his or her 1vs1 ability, the problem remains.

One example: Yesterday my group of 7 was pushing against maybe 60 yells who had the hammer (while 20 other blue players where inside the keep) on 2 different occasions. As a rule of thumb, an organized group can defeat up to 5 times its numbers if they are very lucky, so when you calculate the impact of the other blue players, there were probably still too many yells there for us to defeat.

But because I gambled and assumed that among those 60 yells, there was no one who changed his or her build, the whole fight became a massacre.

Had a single player among those changed their build into something more useful than a Dueling/ Zerg Surfing build, I would not have dared to push; had 3 among those 60 yells changed their builds accordingly, they would have succeeded.

Battles are not won by Duelists, and have never been, no matter what movies and stories try to tell you. Coordination and force multipliers win battles. Ball groups are only as op as people make them by refusing to adapt.
    Edited by Thraben on March 13, 2021 11:10PM

• Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    Sure speccing all towards one goal is great so long as you never have to fight anybody else.

Not to mention what what with 33% aoe damage reduction you'd be laughed at by any stam toon

And as long as people are thinking what you said, as long as no one as willing to sacrifice his or her 1vs1 ability, the problem remains.

One example: Yesterday my group of 7 was pushing against maybe 60 yells who had the hammer (while 20 other blue players where inside the keep) on 2 different occasions. As a rule of thumb, an organized group can defeat up to 5 times its numbers if they are very lucky, so when you calculate the impact of the other blue players, there were probably still too many yells there for us to defeat.

But because I gambled and assumed that among those 60 yells, there was no one who changed his or her build, the whole fight became a massacre.

Had a single player among those changed their build into something more useful than a Dueling/ Zerg Surfing build, I would not have dared to push; had 3 among those 60 yells changed their builds accordingly, they would have succeeded.

Battles are not won by Duelists, and have never been, no matter what movies and stories try to tell you. Coordination and force multipliers win battles. Ball groups are only as op as people make them by refusing to adapt.

Well I’m not sure how the yellows were quite so bad haven’t seen anything like that since a sap tank emp group in the tower a little ways south of ales.

I’m not saying duelists, take your group. Actually disregard that because I can’t fathom that much of an imbalance of skill/gear. But yes if 3 people in the group of 60 built right they’d do well. You’d never be able to focus them because you have no idea who they are nor can you actually push well and stuck behind los alot of the time making it easy to get aoe bombed.

But let me know what platform, time and campaign, because I’d love to play against players like that.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But let me know what platform, time and campaign, because I’d love to play against players like that.

You have to understand that personal skill and gear has nothing to do with it.

You could have, say, 8 people with LeveL 30 fighting naked who use no other skills than Wall of Frost, healing, Wall of Frost, Purge and Heavy Attacks, and the result would not have been much different.

1) A normal zerg surfer uses almost exlusively projectile based damage, and DoT damage.
    2) A normal Duelist type player does not like getting slowed and rooted every few seconds, and does not do nearly enough damage to get through even some modest healing.

Attacking an organized group with these kind of skills is like throwing bricks at a tank: ineffective unless in extreme numbers.

3) Furthermore, because an organized group can communicate, they can outmanoevre an enemy zerg and take it apart piece by piece

As a normal single player, you cannot do anything about 3), but you can sacrifice your pride and change your setup to be not like 1) or 2). Yes, you might loose a 1vs1 situation because of this, but your impact on the Cyrodiil would be vastly more pronounced. If only maybe 5% of the players running in a zerg would do that, and pick the right counterplay and counterskill, Cyrodiil would be vastly different from what it is now.

And, to be honest, real 1vs1 situations outside of the zerg lanes are rare. Typically you meet the same people belonging to the same guilds playing the same meta classes over and over again.
    Edited by Thraben on March 14, 2021 4:53PM

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6. The siege trap

Let's assume you cannot change your build because you don't like to, or because of a combat bug. What else could you do?

Well, there are some focal points a ball group has run though: namely the main gate, among others.

Here, you could build an elaborate siege trap:

You need:

1) one Plague catapult
    2) one scattershot catapult

3) a ground slow/ mine (like caltrops, Necro totem, NB fear)

and

4) a coldfire trebuchet.

Place the catapults very close to each other, and fire them blind onto the chokepoint, then leave them immediately for your treb. When the group starts moving, fire the treb. If hey haven't moved for 4 seconds, renew both catapult ground Dots.

It is rather important for your own survival that you know where the ball group is heading to: Typically, they run to the next tower inside a keep yard, unless they feel secure, then they will push straight towards the inner gate.
    Thus, the best place for your 3 siege weapons is between the tower which is farther away from the outer main gate, and the inner main gate.

If they try to get you, use mist form/ a cloak potion and roll diagonally through them.

Be warned, though, that the damage of the 3 sieges combined is not enough to kill even one of them: You need to have allies around.
    Edited by Thraben on March 29, 2021 6:49PM

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How an enemy ball group can be useful for your faction - an example

Yesterday, there was an interesting situation on Ravenwatch PC EU (the main European campaign), and maybe I can use it to demonstrate how useful ball groups can be if they play on the other faction.

The situation was the following:

The Reds had both blues scrolls, one in Farra, one in Drakelowe.
    There were plenty of organised groups around.

So what happened:

The reds were defending their homekeeps and 4 scrolls. Given our numbers (DC side), it was unrealistic to get any scroll home. Luckily, Roleplay Circle (the European equivalent of Dracarys and a pioneer of the ball group fighting style) was attacking Farra with the intention of farming as many red players as possible using the blue scroll as bait. Since I consider them the strongest ball group, I had confidence that they would bind a huge number of reds, including the organised ones.

The strongest red ball group on this day was Nova, and though I am not sure if they had started yet, I was convinced they would attack Roleplay Circle sooner or later, because both ball groups tend to attack one another viciously (so much for the idea that "ball groups don't fight each other").

This meant that the second scroll in Drakelowe was virtually abandoned, because the ball groups did a great job at distracting the other faction.

So I asked the LfG leader on the blue side to take Alessia while we would take care of Harluns, Sejanus and the Scroll.

Luckily, the second yell ball group, Lagacy, was at Drakelowe and had it opened it for us. Since they seemed to be rather confused by our presence, we took the scroll out without much resistance and brought it home.

In short: Enemy ball groups are great at binding forces, both enemy forces and your own. As long as your faction's core interest is not concerned, let them do their thing and use the situation to gain the advantage elsewhere.

Remember that the border outposts are NOT your core concern. It is actually quite great if you can find an enemy ball group that is dumb enough to guard your border for you. That's why I typically let them live and farm there for some minutes unless there is nothing else to do.

It is also important to recognise the guild names, both on your side and on the enemy's: Too often I see someone claiming "Help! Ballgroup is attacking castle X", only to port there and see them destroyed within 6 seconds because the player failed to identify them. There are huge differences in quality amongst different groups. Some "ball groups" die within seconds on every occasion, whilst other can keep 50 enemy players occupied for hours. Some (like the Kiras or my own group) aren't ball groups at all, so you might need a different fighting style against them. So it's really vital to recognise them. This is even true on your own side: There are some groups you can safely support fighting, because they typically win, and others who you should not follow.

Edited by Thraben on April 9, 2021 12:29PM

• jekyto
    jekyto
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh i dont care about ball groups, but the lag they cause is beyond any limits. I just cant use a single skill when theyre around. This is anything but a fight or pvp
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the ball group playstyle is NOT OP.

disclaimer: try not to copy the victorious group's skill setup - Either go full small scale (only self- sufficient brawler type players) or go full medium scale (where every player is a capable off-healer). A mix of both makes you vulnerable when you fight close to enemy keeps due to your lack of coherence (either your healers will be killed or your brawlers). Multiple good ball groups tried this setup this week, and either their kpm or even their kdr was not as impressive as they used to have.

That being said, this video is rather representative of the vast majority of ball groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxgGntXj6rk

Although you see the typical things you associate with a ball group (Eye-of-the-Storm and Synergy dump, lots of cross healing, a preference for chokepoints), you can also easily recognize what their weaknesses are:

1) First and foremost, there is a blatant lack of ranged firepower, and an inability to focus fire. If only half of them had used a thing as simple as a Heavy Lightning or Resto staff attack on the obvious target (which are not the wardens or the DK, obviously), it would have forced 5 person group to retreat and regroup.

From what I can see, only the top three groups on each campaign are able to give up their ball "formation" when needed, and kill spread-out targets with a sufficient KPM (kills per minute rating). Even in a full group setup, there are classes like MagSorcs, StamWardens and Magblades who retain a lot of single target killing power - if they are prepared for it. All the other "ball groups" are virtually helpless when facing a non- chokepoint situation.

2) Secondly, the ball group group leader's decisions revolve around breaking Line of Sight and looking for chokepoints. While this can be the right way to fight when outnumbered, you have to be able to crush the opposition when you outnumber the other group 2:1.

Remember when I stated that a group of 5-6 players can halt a ballgroups advance for long enough for allied players to arrive? You don't even have to beat them like in this video. Typically a group like this will then claim that they died because "they were zerged". NO. They died because they were bad, and should feel bad for not being able to crush a smaller enemy group before it was too late. They can only blame their own ineptitude, or their group leader's lack of judgement.

3) Ball groups generally show an amazing amount of individual discipline. Here you can see that it is TOO MUCH. There is a difference between getting baited into a group of small scalers (typically the more urgent problem with groups of low discipline) and effectively defending yourself.

4) You can easily spot that a lot of the red players were not really familiar with what they were doing. Though we are in a situation where mindlessly spamming Rapid Regen can carry you far, it can only carry you so far. The reason behind this is that the vast majority of ball group just copied the skills and playstyles of some real ball group's youtube videos without understanding the intend of the skill's allocation.

This even applies to the victorious group:

Extrawelt's group is not as optimized as it may seem - in fact, there are only 2 Wardens instead of 3, and both Wardens are on a Duelist type setup which rapidly lose effectiveness when you are more than 4 players. This makes the video even more impressive, as they fought in a "hard mode" against the red group instead of just synergy dumping them with a 40k AoE damage burst.
    - so DO NOT COPY IT UNLESS YOU PLAY WITH FEWER THAN 4 PLAYERS ;)

Remember: The best small "ball breaker" group consists of 3 Wardens, 1 Necro, 1 DK/Temp/Sorc (though the DK is preferable), all wearing Harmony, who use any non- ultimate synergy which does more than 6k AoE damage, but who are also ALL able to cross heal (so that competent opposition is not able to single out the "healers").

5) Lastly, a ball group is only as good as the person who leads it. You can have the exactly same group lead by another person, and it can perform vastly different. PvP is more than just picking the right build and doing your job. Oftentimes, the group leader is the main weakpoint of such a group. If s/he is good enough to make a difference, and you can kill him (twice, because of Necro rez), the balance shifts in your favor. Weak ball groups totally break apart if you manage to do that, and even good ones will be forced to play defensively until they regain initiative.

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7. The StamNecro bomber . Procs needed!

There is only one major difference between a more conventional MagCro bomber as mentioned before and a StamNecro bomber: You lose maybe 10k damage of the Proxy Deto but you win a NICE finisher skill.

a) equipment

Balorgh
    Mechanical Acuity
    Vicious Death
    Vateshran- Twohanded Mace

Make sure to maximize your weapon damage, as usual, and enchant your armor with tri-stat stuff, as usual. Your VD jewelry must have the HARMONY trait. Shadow mundus, as usual with Acuity.

b) skills
    Momentum (+ some stam skills like Vigor)-> Proximity Detonation -> Race against time -> (bar swap) (Camouflaged Hunter only passive) -> Blighted Blastbones -> Razor Caltrops -> Avid boneyard -> Heavy Attack + Self- Synergy -> Reverse Slice x3.

Against good groups I would use a Dawnbreaker or Colossus, against poor zerglings Animate Blastbones would be hillarious, if not overkill.

c) Alternatively, you could use a Master 2handed Mace (Titanic Cleave) instead. However, this only works if the group is standing still somewhere.
    Edited by Thraben on May 24, 2021 2:21PM

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8. The Nurglitch

On the PTS, there is the following set:

Plaguebreak – Medium
    2 – Adds 1487 Offensive Penetration
    3 – Adds 129 Weapon and Spell Damage
    4 – Adds 129 Weapon and Spell Damage
    5 – Dealing direct damage to an enemy turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing Disease Damage over the duration. If the plague is removed early, it explodes, infecting enemies within 8 meters of the carrier dealing Disease Damage. The explosion deals an additional 10% per enemy hit. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds and scales off of the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

For all means and purposes, this gives the Stamina classes a much needed Invitable Detonation. However, if the tooltipp is correct, (This effect can occur once every 10 seconds) it actually won't be enough to counter a ballgroup. If you want to use it, makes sure, OTHERS are using it as well, and combine it with one of the approaches mentioned above.

Also, please give feedback to the Devs regarding damage numbers when you use it. They followed my suggestion above and made it significantly weaker than Inevitable Detonation, because it's a delicate balancing act: Too much damage, and you destroy group play, too little and no one uses it; additionally it should not be particularly useful against solo players, but useful enough that players still equip it. With time, there should be additional opportunities to change the numbers until it's good (enough).
    Edited by Thraben on July 28, 2021 3:36PM

• Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that you need to wear a specific set to counter a ball group, how may people will do that?

Only solution is for ZoS to solve the In Combat bug, this way I could equip this set as soon I knew that a ball group is present.
    With the sad state of the In Combat bug now if you are two keeps away from the ball group you will be already in combat unable to swap gear.

The day they solve the In Combat bug is the day ball groups will have a hard time but it seems they are unable or don't care enough to solve it.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is so good, thanks for all the insightful suggestions! I liked the siege combo trap mention especially because you don't need to have a particular build with it and anyone can make use of it.

• DucLIX
    DucLIX
    ✭✭✭
    The day they solve the In Combat bug is the day ball groups will have a hard time but it seems they are unable or don't care enough to solve it.

:D:D:D
    god bless the day we get rid of this bug, don't worry, ballgroups hates it too, most of the time it makes us late for potential fun fights
    faster guys kill kill
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    Vizirith wrote: »

1.) When it's purgable, it's a bug. It was specifically designed to be unpurgable. There was even a comment on this by the Devs somewhere in the PTS section when it came out - please test again and /bug it when you test it out and it gets purged. It was definitely unpurgable the last time I tested it against a ball group, which was in December 2020

2.)That's why you need both a Negate and a rather powerful hard CC. I didn't mention it specifically, because it's not something an inexperience play should even try; but your only chance to do this is on chokepoints they themselves choose like at the second flag of a small keep or at an outpost, or a ram - in short, places a normal player should avoid at any cost against a ball group.

The true problem is neither. It's the fact that - even with Malacath - you need 5 explosions AT THE VERY SAME TME. There is a workaround, though: When you use Azureblight Reaper as a solo set, you want it to proc as quickly as possible. This is, however, not even necessary here. I can very well imagine that a health based StamSorc Vampire just uses a combination of blood mist and hurricane to trigger the diserable effect: After all, it doesn't matter if it takes 4 seconds or 10 seconds, as long as enough explosions happen at the same time. (Duelist type Vampire player with Azureblight Reaper)

It might be even better this way: Everyone is being alarmed by a Negate, and an able raid leader knows VERY well what's going on when a seemingly noobish Stamina class players throws Orbs at them.

Now that the AB secret is out, I don't mind sharing that I've helped design comps using AB. It's a really powerful set used the right way and super easy to get procs. I won't share the actual builds of course, but a comp like this is workable.

In terms of actually countering ball groups the canonical advice is:

1.) Leave them alone--Don't follow them into the towers into chokes etc, if they have a keep leave it. Of course this isn't always effective if they're gate camping.

2.) Other ball group--Contrary to other people on the thread my group typically loves when another group shows up because it makes the fight more interesting. Although if they're a group we have no chance of beating we follow advice 1 and go somewhere else. If you say "X group is at keep Y" the really sweaty groups on your sever will likely show up to help

Building a ball group or even a semi-decent pug group is difficult work although it doesn't take long to get something workable going. You won't be able to do spectacular bombs but you'll have an effect on the map. And of course having two groups fight a single group is always better than fighting alone (unless one group is a VD proc then get out). Designing group comps requires a decent amount of theorycrafting knowledge tho.

3.) Other ideas I've been throwing around are making a tanky healbot group to act as a destraction. Or a debuff group to run along a primary group (consting of vanguard/tormentor tanks, negators, etc).

4.) Another way is just to use terrain to your advantage. Using chokes, high spots, etc. Even a group with inexperienced players placed in the right spot can completely annihilate an enemy group of greater skill.
    Edited by neferpitou73 on July 28, 2021 9:01PM