The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any stam dks using poo rock?

Alucardo
Alucardo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Admittedly, stam dk isn't a class I have a lot of experience with these days. I have one, and I used to play it a lot when SnB damage was pretty good, but stopped after it was axed into the ground. I was looking at this stone giant ability (aka poo rock), and it actually seems pretty good on paper.

- The initial hit does AOE damage
- The fragments actually deal a nice bit of damage
- The third cast stuns opponent
- Each fragment applies a debuff that causes the target to take more damage
- It's ranged
- Thanks to the passives in that tree, your entire group gain minor brutality increasing your damage further, AND you generate 3 ultimate.

I can't think of any other class DD ability that has that amount of benefits. So my question is, why aren't people using it?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's extremely clunky. Hard to bar swap out of it. It almost feels unnecessarily complicated from a dps standpoint. Adding the AOE element to it didn't do it any favors. It's not a consistent aoe at all. It's just a mess of an ability.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 reasons for me:

1. What skill am I supposed to drop for it? D Swing? Doesn't do nearly as much damage, takes longer to stun. Brawler, when I use that either instead of or with D Swing? I can't spam AoE with it. That's why I say revise it to a 6-second offensive buff, or an AoE debuff thing, like Stagger meets Fasalla's Guile, tune up the DK defensive passives, and PvP sDKs can drop Frag Shield - then maybe Frag Shield could be tuned up to help DK Healers without overpowering PvP DK

2. The projectile is too often dodged, like Birds, like Skulls

Edited by Urzigurumash on July 7, 2021 4:41AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Rasande_Robin
    Rasande_Robin
    ✭✭✭✭
    This skill is indeed very interesting. You could say it's a jack-of-all-trades skill, master-of-none.

And right here is the problem. In ESO you specialize your self for something and frankly this skill doesn't fit anywhere. Let's break down the skill and see it's usefulness.

First you step on the ground making some good AOE damage around you.

You then have a fairly short duration to throw the rocks in order to make use of the full potential.

The last rock will stun which is useful for PvP.

So let's look at the complications

You want to deal some massive AOE damage to clear trash... What need do you have for the single target rocks?

You want to be a potent ranged stamina damage dealer... What need do you have for the ground stomp?

You could think a jack-of-all-trades skill would make use in a PvP environment. But "players" will see the stun rock come from a mile away and if you try to lure the opponent... There just isn't enough time on the duration.

This is just my opinion about the skill but I hope it helped a little with some insight about it.
    PC/EU: Orcana "something"-stone
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stone giant is a jack of all trades skill and master of none of them. No one ask for stone giant to be like it is now. No one. The skill has personality disorder. To many different things attached to it and not consistent enough in any to be of and real use except in highly organized groups [stagger effect]. Plus no one likes cast time skills.

Want it to be a AOE skill sure but only every 4th time the skill is used.

Want a ranged skill sure but only 3 out of 4 times and only if you already activated the skill as a AOE first that doesn't hit your target so wasted GCD plus it has a cast time and in PVP your target has already moved so your chance to use it has probably passed anyway while you where stuck channeling it.

Want it to stun someone, sure but only after you have used it 3 other times and hopefully you have the first cast time channel part loaded up on you. Oh also if the player is not already immune to it.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS, ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could think a jack-of-all-trades skill would make use in a PvP environment. But "players" will see the stun rock come from a mile away and if you try to lure the opponent... There just isn't enough time on the duration.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. In all honesty, even though it's ranged I'd imagine most DKs would still use it in melee range. Being able to use it from range is just a bonus imho because you can throw it at runners trying to get away, or have something to throw at attackers from the top of a keep when it's too dangerous to drop down. It gives you options.

One of my biggest complaints is I had trouble animation cancelling it. For me personally, that's a deal breaker.

Edit: My reasoning behind this thread to see what people didn't like about it and maybe get it improved. Personally I think it'd benefit from becoming a melee ranged "rock slam" ability. Basically Dizzying Swing but not quite as high damage (because no wind up time) and faster. It should still apply stagger however, and stun after third cast.

Edited by Alucardo on July 7, 2021 5:41AM
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went through all the different Stam DK spammables over the last years, as Stam DK is my main. I think I started out with Shrouded Daggers. I remember all Rending Slashes, Venomous Claw and even Noxious Breath (!) as spammable. It was all ok. Then we got the Stone Fist. Everyone hated it, I thought so what. But they changed Stone Fist again and the first / every fourth cast (with the aoe) has a cast time. The cast time hinders me to bar swap instantly. I was so often on the wrong bar because of that, that I just gave up and played Mag DK for a year. That was because of PVE of course. Well, then the no proc meta came and I hate to switch back to Stam DK because of PVP. :)

I still use Stone Fist, because it works as a spammable - I run the Vateshran Daggers and need a second spammable. I don't like Flurry, so Stone Fist is all there is. I only use it in 50% of the combat, so bar swapping out of it is only half annoying than before. Also depending on the fight I switch to 2h or Bow/Bow or Bow/Destro, so it's even less Stone Fist (noone would use Stone Fist on a 2h DK, right?).

So, my main issue is the cast time with the aoe. Also I don't like it to be ranged. It can be annoying for some item sets which require melee attacks. Additionally as a Stam DK we already got that improved melee range from 5m to 7m, so I really don't understand why our spammable is a ranged attack. It should be melee only. Even ranged only what be a shame (except you want to use it with an inferno staff), because the Poison spammable from bow (Lethal arrow or the other morph, whatever) gives a Stam DK unlimited sustain and is too good to pass...

In PVP there are so many reasons why you wouldn't use it, I guess we don't need to talk about that, beginning with it being a ranged attack.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on July 7, 2021 7:01AM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • MrMazurski
    MrMazurski
    ✭✭✭
    So true with everything up.

and in fact that using it burns up your stamina too quickly and dmg are not that great.

if you are on a bow you have a better range skill like Lethal arrow.
    - Where "Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests"? I wish ZOS would stop kicking players' balls, especially those on Cyro
    - - PC-EU / Ravenwatch
  • MrMazurski
    MrMazurski
    ✭✭✭
    I used this once a PVE tank. But is it PvP or evn PvE taking too long time.

This is especially see in PvP. cast skill, one tick, use 3 times - 4 ticks together to deal the same damage as one Dizzy. plus his distance has nothing to do with the rest of DK's skills. However, you are not able to pair it well.
    - Where "Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests"? I wish ZOS would stop kicking players' balls, especially those on Cyro
    - - PC-EU / Ravenwatch
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time, unpredictable stun, tries to do too many things instead of one thing really well, made with the purpose that trial raids would always want a DK.

Not a recipe for a fun, let alone effective, ability.
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time, and it's poo.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only person I saw using it used it because it looked awesome. Then fast forward a few months later and I have convinced them to roll a magDK and they hate me now.... because it's so much better :lol:
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a poorly implemented minigame.

Nightblade Grim Focus series: 'light attack x times, then get a special attack'

Sorcerer Bound Armaments: 'light attack x times, then get a special attack'

Dragonknight Poop Fist: 'Use once for aoe.

Use twice for a tiny damage debuff.

Use three times for a tiny damage debuff.

Use 4 times for a tiny damage debuff ... and you may or may not apply crowd control immunity to an add and screw over the group's tank.'

Hectic fight and lose track of count: 'Russian Roulette if this skill does what you want it to do.'

Look give me a melee AOE or a ranged attack or a stun attack. Not all three based on how often my key commands get interpreted by a laggy server.

EDIT:

"Oh look that enemy is backing up and readying a big attack! Let me shoot it with a ranged stun!" -> self-focused AOE

"Oh I'm surrounded by enemies, let me use a self-focused AOE attack on them!" -> Shoots one of them with a damage debuff.

"Oh I'm fighting a big single enemy and want to maintain the tiny damage debuffs on it for the maximum time!" -> Skill timer falls off and has to be restarted from the AOE.
    Edited by Fennwitty on July 7, 2021 6:01PM
    PC NA
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's clunky, generally confusing in its design, and there are a lot of better things that could be designed to replace it.

But with all that said, for me it's between this and dizzying swing. I use dizzying swing on so many other builds that I enjoy the variety this creates. And although it's weird and clunky, its unfocused design occasionally proves useful. There are many times where my opponent will be trying to stealth or roll away and the initial AOE will hit them, and other times if my opponent is trying to disengage I'll be able to continue dealing damage due to its range. The damage good enough, not quite as potent as dizzying swing, but easier to land. So it's not all bad.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is good to have some bonus once per few attacks (crystal shard, rico skull) but different effect with every shot, that is too much. I know, It worked well in Avatar ^^ but this is MMO. Try to stay within its limitations.
    Edited by Ippokrates on July 7, 2021 6:33PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm. I've been running it for a while, but haven't noticed the cast time. Not playing my DK a lot in PvP, but have done so on and off over the last few patches. Come to think of it, the way my build is set up, I probably don't really bar swap away from this skill. I'm probably more likely to Rally up and then bar swap to refresh my buffs.

I've always thought there is an element of ... I don't know ... snobbery against this skill. If you're not running Dizzying, which is arguably the meta, if you're running something that has open world utility, but isn't optimal for duels, then you're dismissed by some people. I've killed people from range with this, even a good player who previously gave me a hard time in duels. Especially when you don't leap, but use Corrosive Armor instead, they can be caught off guard.

I don't really get the clunkiness argument. Just view it as a melee skill. You're playing a melee class. The fact that it still hits 3 times out of 4 when people try to outrange you is a bonus. Anything else is just the glass half empty view. What I feel more ambivalent about is the stun. It's more useful for running down people's stamina than trying to design some sort of combo around it.

Dizzying does more damage, stuns more consistently and is better in setting up a combo. I have not played it much. The reasons I run Stone Giant are:

(1) Minor Brutality from a skill that costs stamina, keeping my magicka use way down. I love Fossilize but have neither the bar space nor the magicka for it.

(2) I run Shuffle instead of Fragmented Shield, gaining a snare removal skill and the AOE damage mitigation.

(3) I run Physical Resistance / Health / Stamina potions, since I don't need tri-stat pots. DKs have more Spell Resistance than Physical, yet Physical is arguably more valuable. Those potions turn that around.

In other words using the skill bolsters your defenses despite not having Fragmented Shield. You might also argue it bolsters your damage, because you do not have to invest into magicka sustain unless you usually make do with just tri-stat potions and ultimates. My only magicka skills are Hardened / Volatile Armor and Cauterize. I am free to dump any excess magicka into Cauterize, which is actually a small burst heal.

If you ever wanted to try Diamond's Victory, Stone Giant also fits the bill as spamming it procs both buffs of that set.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    If you ever wanted to try Diamond's Victory, Stone Giant also fits the bill as spamming it procs both buffs of that set.

I actually did not know this. Thanks for the info !

So wait, I just have to clarify something. Does the effects stack? ie: you get both 437 weapon damage to ranged/DoTs AND 437 to melee just by flinging one poo rock?

Edited by Alucardo on July 8, 2021 3:39AM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

So wait, I just have to clarify something. Does the effects stack? ie: you get both 437 weapon damage to ranged/DoTs AND 437 to melee just by flinging one poo rock?
    Not exactly. You get +437 to ranged from the AOIE stomp. You get +437 to melee from flinging a rock. Those effects can stack, but you need 2 casts of Stone Giant to activate both.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Not exactly. You get +437 to ranged from the AOIE stomp. You get +437 to melee from flinging a rock. Those effects can stack, but you need 2 casts of Stone Giant to activate both.

Ahhh I see. Cheers!
  • Artemis_X_
    Artemis_X_
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that the skill broken down on the eso University website estimating the group buff damage part added over 2k per dps group member?
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @Alucardo
    I agree with your assessment, it is a great skill in theory, and when I bring it in to group pve play, there is a noticeable difference in party DPS, and the tanks love not having to use it.

I personally don't like it when I solo, because as other people have mentioned the variation in cast time makes weaving extremely difficult, I typically lose 3 light attacks every channel.

Personally if DK had to keep stonegiant as a spammable, I'd prefer if zos got rid of the cast time, and just make the stomp the ability. I actually like the cleave from that hit, and a 360 spam is fairly unique, and useful in pve and pvp.
    Edited by ke.sardenb14_ESO on July 8, 2021 7:42PM
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @fred4
    I think the issue is that the change in cast time does effect how one can gage weaving. Since the stomp hits with a different speed then the rocks timing it takes alot of work, which can be detrimental when using sets like relequin or kinras, that out perform diamonds victory. I think zos has done a decent job of fixing it, but originally it was very easy to get stuck on your bar on stone fist cast.
  • Spurius_Lucilius
    Spurius_Lucilius
    ✭✭✭
    After reading a few forum posts talking about why Stam Dk needs poison whip or stone giant is bad, I decided to try out Stone Giant in PVP, and I find it a fun skill to use, if you build for it. I manage to find a playstyle that I like quite a lot with this skill...

The first thing comes to mind is what weapon should I use for my main hand. I want a weapon that could utilize the full potential of Stone Giant. DW or 2H won't allow me to light weave with the range part of the skill, so ideally I want a ranged weapon. Bow's passives are just disappointing because the crit chance is wasted if I use Malacath band, and other passives only benefits bow skills.
    My final decision is to use Inferno Staff. I also thought about using Lightning staff, but Inferno Staff is just more fitting for a DK thematically. I can light weave the rock, and both the rock and the light attack benefits from Ancient Knowledge passive.

The details of the build is in this video: https://youtu.be/lrS5VaDQF00

I personally enjoy this playstyle. I have a bow on the back bar for more crit healing, major expedition and poison injection. I can generate both stamina and magicka using ranged HA. I have attack options from a distance while also be a strong melee fighter.
    I highly recommend anyone to try out this setup if you think this could be fun.
    PC NA Casual/PVP
  • Malmer
    Malmer
    ✭✭✭
    i useing stonegiant in arena´s like vma vvh because its give´s minor brutality aswell and i have an other barspace i know rapid strikes or wrecking blow do a little bit more dmg ( i would use them both prob in raids over stony ) i just like it because minor holds only around 20 secs i guess compare to the big 1 from the pot or molten in arenas defently stonegiant its very good
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know that high lv pve tanks use it but i was told its hard to learn and control as pve tank to apply the stagger reliably. For pvp i never used it, because it seems it hadnt sound interesting enough on paper to me to test it. My advise slot and test it, you can easily change the skill point again if u dont like it. As others have said, what skill should u drop it for? Stun on 3rd cast is to unreliable and hard to control imo to utilize it, like the warden stun artic blast. Interesting would be, does it proc ur enchant of backhand? But there are imo better abilities for it like stampede.
    Edited by silver1surfer69 on July 26, 2021 2:37PM
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading a few forum posts talking about why Stam Dk needs poison whip or stone giant is bad, I decided to try out Stone Giant in PVP, and I find it a fun skill to use, if you build for it. I manage to find a playstyle that I like quite a lot with this skill...

The first thing comes to mind is what weapon should I use for my main hand. I want a weapon that could utilize the full potential of Stone Giant. DW or 2H won't allow me to light weave with the range part of the skill, so ideally I want a ranged weapon. Bow's passives are just disappointing because the crit chance is wasted if I use Malacath band, and other passives only benefits bow skills.
    My final decision is to use Inferno Staff. I also thought about using Lightning staff, but Inferno Staff is just more fitting for a DK thematically. I can light weave the rock, and both the rock and the light attack benefits from Ancient Knowledge passive.

I personally enjoy this playstyle. I have a bow on the back bar for more crit healing, major expedition and poison injection. I can generate both stamina and magicka using ranged HA. I have attack options from a distance while also be a strong melee fighter.

You can like weave with 2h and DW in melee range with the projectile portion of Stone Giant. This allows you to continue to run your melee dots as well. I see it being range not as it's primary function, but just the ability to sometimes add some additional pressure if someone is trying to get out of melee range from you.

Flame staff is going to give you significantly less weapon damage, and your light attacks won't benefit from your physical penetration. Seems like it could be like a fun thematic build, but it seems pretty far from optimized for PVP.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Spurius_Lucilius
    Spurius_Lucilius
    ✭✭✭

You can like weave with 2h and DW in melee range with the projectile portion of Stone Giant. This allows you to continue to run your melee dots as well. I see it being range not as it's primary function, but just the ability to sometimes add some additional pressure if someone is trying to get out of melee range from you.

Flame staff is going to give you significantly less weapon damage, and your light attacks won't benefit from your physical penetration. Seems like it could be like a fun thematic build, but it seems pretty far from optimized for PVP.

I just change the back bar bow to 2H for rally and executioner. I am trying out diamond’s victory since this thread mentioned it.
    It indeed is far from optimized, but it is thematic and not too weak, and that is what I’m aiming for now.

PC NA Casual/PVP
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    PvP: No
    PvE: I do but not because I want to, and when I get told I don't have to, it makes my day
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using Stonefist:
    - when I need melee AoE, I get a ranged single-target attack, or have to wait.
    - when I need a ranged attack, I have to spend ressources for melee AoE that does nothing first.
    I don't have those issues with weapon skills, melee is always melee, etc. 2H and bow ftw.

I tried, it looks cool, but it's overly complex to use, compared to alternatives.
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    Using Stonefist:
    - when I need melee AoE, I get a ranged single-target attack, or have to wait.
    - when I need a ranged attack, I have to spend ressources for melee AoE that does nothing first.
    I don't have those issues with weapon skills, melee is always melee, etc. 2H and bow ftw.

I tried, it looks cool, but it's overly complex to use, compared to alternatives.

I feel the same way:
    Pros
    -The skill looks cool
    -stagger and minor buff
    -passive ultimate gen=sustain

Cons
    -clunky weave created by alternating casting times
    -ranged skill on class built for melee
    -Wreaking blow will out perform in parse and solo content despite stagger and minor buff.