Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gamepad Controller Stopped working

MacCait
MacCait
✭✭✭✭✭
Was logged in last night and playing on the test server, and no issues.

This morning I have logged on and the gamepad is not being recognised by Test Server. Its working fine in other games.

Using a PS4 controller, same one I always use on PC

Is anyone else having this issue with a gamepad controller?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have this issue, or something like it, quite frequently. If for any reason the connection between my controller and the computer drops, like the cable is starting to wear or it gets knocked out of position a bit, then the game refuses to recognize the controller again until I restart. If I’m “lucky,” I just have to restart the game. If I’m not, I have to restart the whole computer.

Meanwhile, other games have no problem immediately recognizing the controller again even in the middle of the game. Skyrim, Fallout (4 and 76), Mass Effect, Dragon Age, even LEGO games don’t have any trouble. It’s just ESO (that I know of) that refuses to recognize the controller again if it loses connection for a moment.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    I have this issue, or something like it, quite frequently. If for any reason the connection between my controller and the computer drops, like the cable is starting to wear or it gets knocked out of position a bit, then the game refuses to recognize the controller again until I restart. If I’m “lucky,” I just have to restart the game. If I’m not, I have to restart the whole computer.

Meanwhile, other games have no problem immediately recognizing the controller again even in the middle of the game. Skyrim, Fallout (4 and 76), Mass Effect, Dragon Age, even LEGO games don’t have any trouble. It’s just ESO (that I know of) that refuses to recognize the controller again if it loses connection for a moment.

@virtus753 a bit of a necro, but figured I'd help if I could because I went through your same struggle with a PS4 remote.

The solution? Get a Bluetooth dongle if your computer doesn't already have access. Connect your controller using steams controller support and Bluetooth instead of the DS4 to Windows app.

If your controller drops connection or dies, it will be able to reconnect because it's a wireless connection through steam. This means you no longer have to worry about your cable being in the perfect position.

Additionally, plug in your cable to a wall charger or your power bar, this will allow for faster charging since computer usb support doesn't typically support fast charging. Also, you can play on Bluetooth while plugged in without the computer possibly thinking you prefer a wired connection which has caused issues for me in the past with some games taking double inputs because it had support for PS4 buttons AND Xbox.

Finally. If you were on the fence about upgrading your remote. Pick up a PS5 remote. It's much more comfortable and in stock despite no stock for PS5s. I've had much more success with the controller support on games with that vs the DS4 remote too.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit