Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stop auto joining Area Chat!

• B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like Logging in and being subjected to somebody's microphone either picking up domestic arguments or blasting [snip] music that's being [snip] compressed.

[edited for language]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 3, 2021 3:56PM
    Options
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it hasn’t crossed their minds that minors being shoved into voice chat is you know, a liability.
    Esse quam videri.
    Options
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adzer2 wrote: »
    I'm playing on PS5 and everytime I log in, I am auto joined to area voice chat.

The PS5 controllers don't need a mic to be plugged in and are unmuted by default, sometimes it can be 10-15 minutes before I realise its on

This is a fairly large privacy issue that needs to be fixed, I've heard other players discussing personal things on mic that they probably don't know are being broadcast

Agreed.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here to pile on. Why ZOS thinks I want to hear people either playing their horrifically bad music, fighting over politics, or jabbering about nonsense is beyond me.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I bet they are thinking we are talking about auto joining group chat when joining a group which has always been the case and intended on PS4.
    I hope they realize we are talking about now auto joining local area chat on load or zoning being the problem.
    Hard to believe what they intend vs screw up anymore.
    Options
  • deleted220717-003304
    (...)

Once again, none of us knew each other (except one guy who knew me lol), no one was in a party or any chat and we were in completely different places in the game.

(...)

So that's what that was, last night I logged out of area chat as the usual first action now whenever logging in with a character, and I could still hear someone, and the name kept popping up in the bottom-right corner.
    I checked back if I was in any other chats I hadn't seen, or the area chat had turned itself back on, but no, I was out. It was impossible to stop hearing that person, who probably had no idea this was happening. I had to log out of the character for it to stop.
    XBOX NA that was.
    Options
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoolielulu wrote: »
    My favorite part was before I even realized auto zone chat was now a thing I was in BOTH zone and guild at the same time so some strangers got to hear us talking guild business. I still don't even know how that worked.

See my post directly above yours. It can get even weirder than that.

LOL That's hilarious!
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Addendum: so, I log in or zone and the game places me in area chat. Even though I have game chat disabled in the PS menu, I can see the names pop in the corner, right? Well, those names will be stuck in the corner of every loading screen I encounter for the rest of my play session. I don't know if this means any audio data is being transmitted, but just the presence of the names stuck there alone seems extremely buggy.

I really wish someone would address this. I don't think they understand how actually furious this is making people (myself included).
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always forget about it until I hear someone burping their name.
    PS4/PS5/NA - And now EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
    Options
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve noticed on Xbox that, even when you leave zone chat, the little round ‘speaking’ icon continues to appear above other player-characters’ heads. That indicates to me that it’s yet another bug.

It also irritates me that the voice chat loading screen tip appears on PC. PC has no voice chat function.
    Options
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »
    I’ve noticed on Xbox that, even when you leave zone chat, the little round ‘speaking’ icon continues to appear above other player-characters’ heads. That indicates to me that it’s yet another bug.

It also irritates me that the voice chat loading screen tip appears on PC. PC has no voice chat function.
    @GenjiraX happens on PS4 na as well.

Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn your Mic off in your Console audio settings. Even if you're logged straight into area chat your Mic won't be on. ZOS even put this in the game's start screen notes saying it's definitely unintended and will be fixed in the next patch.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hate it as well. In fact, it is quickly becoming my least liked feature of ESO outside of flappy [Twilight Matriarch].

In a BG today and somehow put into chat of some other group who where playing a completely different BG game. I was in Chaosball and they where apparently in a flag game. Could not leave chat either. Had to log off and back on just to get rid of the chat after the BG.

Then walking around in main city in Blackwood and heard some lady complaining to her significant other about having diarrhea the last few days. Pretty sure she did not mean to be broadcasting her personal problems to everyone near her in chat. For the record I checked and supposedly I wasn’t in voice chat either time either. ZOS has definitely messed something up and one can only hope they realize it and fix it soon.

Stay safe :)
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this whole thread sounds terrifying.....As someone who values their privacy, I think I'm never going to get the new consoles.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Turn your Mic off in your Console audio settings. Even if you're logged straight into area chat your Mic won't be on. ZOS even put this in the game's start screen notes saying it's definitely unintended and will be fixed in the next patch.

But that doesn't stop you from hearing zone chat you don't want to hear.
    You have to disable area zone chat in the game options over and over and over....
    It was really interesting in Cyrodiil.
    The point is area voice chat should not auto enable itself, especially if you turned it off.
    It is really annoying when I am not even wearing a headset and it comes blaring out my Bose audio system speakers.
    Edited by TequilaFire on July 3, 2021 3:59PM
    Options
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still broken. Console does not “remember” my previous settings.

S.
    Options
  • ackack73
    ackack73
    Soul Shriven
    Still, still broken. I thought they allegedly fixed this recently.
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep can confirm it's still broken, PS5 NA.

Stay safe everyone and ZOS please fix the green tree micromanaging :)
    Options