The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Does anyone wearing light armor in PvP?

Xargas13
Xargas13
✭✭✭
So here's my story... I ditched light armor for PvP when penalties were introduced, since I was dying faster then I can blink. With the new patch, at night I decided to try light armor again, with some defensive set. I used Fortified Brass which put my resistances very close to that I have in heavy armor + two heavy pieces... Long story short it was horrible still, I still did almost the same damage, despite having higher spell pen, and died like a bug under the foot. I even used Lady mundus to get even higher resistances, and still nothing...

Am I missing something? I understand I take more damage from martial attacks, but still, it seems that the difference between heavy and light armor is like night and day. As I said, I still did almost the same damage I would do in heavy armor, so what's the point? Is light armor dead for PvP completely? Please someone educate me if I'm wrong...

PS: Playing magcro, so no streak to survive. Doing only BGs. Wrote in this section, because I want to get a picture from both Cyrodiil players and BG players.
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I run light armor when running magicka.
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would run 5 light only if I play with shields, if not, its up to 4 light, depends on build and playstyle. For Magcro, I think 5 heavy, 2light or 4 heavy, 2 light, 1medium - is the way to go.

Edited by Lughlongarm on June 27, 2021 8:59AM
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 light, 3 heavy, 1 medium. I play Cyrodiil no cp only.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on June 27, 2021 8:46AM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Stensaxpannk
    Healer in PvP here, Rave no cp.

6 light 1 heavy or just 7 light
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    3 light, 3 heavy, 1 medium, 8.8k pene, 5k Spell damage, 27.2k health, 35k Spell res (in CP with Shield equipped), 28.4k physical res (in CP with Shield equipped), 30% crit res, 32% crit, 1.8k magicka regen.

I can switch on more light armor Pieces and It would work mostly in the same way, but 3 lights and 3 heavy basically counter eachother penalties and I like that.

Is really viable, Is squishy on baseline but if You work around on the penalties and low res You can be fine, I wanted a good penetration because I have no way to reduce enemies res via skills so light armor Is the way with sharpened weapon, I'm not using any "slottable" CP to increase offensive stats or health, I prefer to live longer then hit higher.

PS: same build on no CP and armor go down on something like 25k and Spell res on something like 32k, crit res on 20% and everything else remains the same
    Edited by Icy_Nelyan on June 27, 2021 11:09AM
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there is tons of people wearing light. All Magsorcs for example, Magblades as well, then Magwardens do too, I know one that has more resitences in light than in heavy.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Afterip
    Afterip
    ✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    Well there is tons of people wearing light. All Magsorcs for example, Magblades as well, then Magwardens do too, I know one that has more resitences in light than in heavy.
    I agree about magsorcs and magblade. both of them have really good save as streak\cloak so they avoid almost of all damage. Any other magica class, even magwarden will die very quicky in light armor.
    As a magica necro i use 5 heavy and 2 light(gloves and belt) and this is the best armor combination that i found for myself.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surviving in PvP is more about player skill, mobility, anticipation, line of sighting, keeping buffs up, etc., than the ressitance difference between light and heavy.
  • Afterip
    Afterip
    ✭✭✭
    Surviving in PvP is more about player skill, mobility, anticipation, line of sighting, keeping buffs up, etc., than the ressitance difference between light and heavy.
    Thats good but not best choice for me, because on Battlegrounds my ping jump to 120-150 so with so high disadvantage ill be preffer stuck my ressistance.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afterip wrote: »
    Thats good but not best choice for me, because on Battlegrounds my ping jump to 120-150 so with so high disadvantage ill be preffer stuck my ressistance.

That would be awesome ping in Cyrodiil.
  • Afterip
    Afterip
    ✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »

In Cyrolag i have 200+ ping :)
    Few days ago was fight 1x1 with magnb and it was funny fight, all my skills used after 1.5-2 sec delay...

• techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afterip wrote: »
    techyeshic wrote: »

In Cyrolag i have 200+ ping :)
    Few days ago was fight 1x1 with magnb and it was funny fight, all my skills used after 1.5-2 sec delay...

So does everyone when it gets hot. If you actually fight someone 1v1 in there during lag, like I just did; you don't kill each other if both are prioritizing keeping buffs up when it takes 5 seconds to get a hit in
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 6 light and 1 heavy. It works.... okay for the most part. Against inexperienced groups if I play my cards right I can wipe them all out, but the moment I go up against a stamina build I definitely do feel the damage increase. Thankfully the devs made dodge rolling in light armor and breaking free cost less so I can seriously push my small stamina bar to it's limits. I did change out Degeneration for Molten Armaments on my magDK so now I have even more tools for stamina regeneration alongside Fossilize on my PVP build.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Absolutely not. Light armor increase physical damage way too much.

5x heavy 1 medium gloves 1 light waist
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah this will never work for BGs when you get dunked on by 3 dawnbreakers at once. Heavy is the only way to go.
    PC NA
  • Xargas13
    Xargas13
    ✭✭✭
    Icy_Nelyan wrote: »
    3 light, 3 heavy, 1 medium, 8.8k pene, 5k Spell damage, 27.2k health, 35k Spell res (in CP with Shield equipped), 28.4k physical res (in CP with Shield equipped), 30% crit res, 32% crit, 1.8k magicka regen.

I can switch on more light armor Pieces and It would work mostly in the same way, but 3 lights and 3 heavy basically counter eachother penalties and I like that.

Is really viable, Is squishy on baseline but if You work around on the penalties and low res You can be fine, I wanted a good penetration because I have no way to reduce enemies res via skills so light armor Is the way with sharpened weapon, I'm not using any "slottable" CP to increase offensive stats or health, I prefer to live longer then hit higher.

PS: same build on no CP and armor go down on something like 25k and Spell res on something like 32k, crit res on 20% and everything else remains the same

Maybe a noobish question, but can you tell me how you reached such high stats and what sets are you using? If you don't want to tell your secrets to everyone at least pm me:)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CP IC and Cyro player here. 6 light, 1 heavy on my melee magblade. 5 light, and 2 heavy on my magplar. I favor stamina sustain and dodge rolling over tanking. My templar is still experimental for this patch, however I figured out a long time ago that I do not like heavy armor and much prefer stamina sustain and speed plus light armor on my non-Mist Form templar too. I prefer the flat out magicka sustain from light over the "sustain from being attacked" of heavy.

On the magblade I run a Juggernaut backbar. It has a long cooldown, but you can make that set work on a cloaking nightblade. The approach for the magplar is a bit up in the air, but you can't have everything. I am trying to avoid Pariah in favor of better sustain, damage and healing at present and am happy enough so far, except for the one shots from gank sorcs. I use the stamina rune on magplar, which means free sprinting and some stam sustain while blocking.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i wear light armor when i play with mag chars. Only when i play my mag sorc tank i wear heavy armor. In no-cp the sorc tank does well, in cp the light armor ones work better.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My non-stealth magblade wears 3 heavy, 3 light, and 1 medium in Cyrodiil.

My sneaky magblade will wear up to 7 light, but I don't want to play a sneaky magblade lately.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but you have to accept you're taking a huge risk. You're not a duelist. If the 2H players swinging their massive Dizzyings notice you, you're probably dead meat.

Fortunately, to make up for this weakness, you have... well, actually, inferior baseline damage, while those with superior baseline damage have a bonus against you, the already weakest.

It's weird. It's hard to explain, but there's a kind of joy in knowing you're a glass cannon minus the cannon.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle