The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Companion Customization is Lacking, Making this Chapter a Pass for Me

• Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Kiyakotari wrote: »

We circle 'round to the ZOS communication being at the core of the problem again, like it so often is.

I don't think it's lack of communication, I think it's that people don't want to ACCEPT what ZOS has said... so they keep claiming lack of communication when ZOS has already communicated. ZOS stated they didn't want to add helmet option because they wanted the companions to maintain their identities. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they didn't communicate their reason.

If ZOS has stated (clearly) somewhere that they wanted companions to maintain their identities, and that was why they didn't want them to be able to have (displayed) headgear, then they have not made that statement widely available to their player base. It is clear from the number of people asking about it and discussing it that most players have no idea they have made this perspective or reasoning clear.

ZOS is not good about communicating partially because they spread their information distribution across a wide variety of difference communication media/channels (forums, official website, facebook, twitter, ESO Live...) and players who do not have the time to monitor all of these different sources inevitably miss information. They are then left hearing things secondhand from other players, or not at all.

ZOS needs to consolidate their distribution of official information. That will help avoid customer confusion and the general sense of "poor communication." Sometimes releasing information isn't enough - it must be released in a manner that will reach the target audience. If information is going to continue to be released across multiple channels, then it needs to be duplicated to minimize customers missing the information that is pertinent to their concerns.
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    crazepdx wrote: »
    Klad wrote: »
    I wonder why people on this forum make these huge sweeping announcements that they won't play X or participate in Y

Are they e-famous or something?

No one gives two figs if I play or not...why dose everyone think that their voice carries weight?

Mr. Klad...Mr Klad!!!
    Can I have your autograph? It' not for me,...it's for a friend

strange world.

Aren't you assuming weight to your voice in your post?

I suppose you could look at it like that...or you could view it as a sarcastic observation of the narcissism that is so abundant these days.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    I know many are disappointed that companions can’t use player sets. This is likely done to avoid both game balance and performance issues. However there are plenty of unique builds that can be made still through combining specific gear traits (9 traits) and companion skills (40 per companion). I’ve managed my expectations to know that companions will not fundamentally change the game and will have a relatively small impact on it compared to players. It’s fine. Here are just a couple build options I’ve tested so far:

https://youtu.be/DNirnovMHSI

Hack, I believe content creators like yourself putting a good spin on companions is why they aren't getting fixed. You showed they are viable by putting them in HIGHLY CONTROLLED circumstances, in the best gear and traits and are like "see they work". Totally ignoring in those videos that unless you can afford that gear and have the skill to solo those bosses and KEEP THEM ALIVE, user results will vary. Wouldn't it have been better to show the results with high random aoe bosses with lots of adds, in mixed gear? That way people could see what they are truly getting.

Please show us viable videos with the companions in varying degrees of level, with varying grades and traits of gear that most of us will be running with. Then I will believe they are viable. These look like they were played against easier bosses in easier dungeons in controlled scenarios that most of us will not be able to achieve. We need better AOE mitigation on companions that stand in AOEs, or better AI to walk out of AOEs. Without that, most of us will have dead companions. Please make
    I wonder why people on this forum make these huge sweeping announcements that they won't play X or participate in Y

No one gives two figs if I play or not...why dose everyone think that their voice carries weight?

Mr. Klad...Mr Klad!!!

strange world.

Aren't you assuming weight to your voice in your post?

I suppose you could look at it like that...or you could view it as a sarcastic observation of the narcissism that is so abundant these days.

If you can't tell by the post, sarcasm is actually my native language 😉. I appreciate it when I see others from the motherland.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Mr. Klad...Mr Klad!!!

strange world.

It´s just a way to let people know their opinion about a question in particular. After all, this is a forum.
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Companions- the only time I would ever need a companion is if they can do writs and surveys for me. Apart from that, don’t see the use for them. (For me anyway ) solo dungeon player mostly, if I need a hand I’ll group up.
    They look like another level of complexity that will only add to the bug list.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was exited to have Bastian as my personal tank,but my sorc pets still tank better so meh,I did preorder it but more for the goodies what come with it than for the companions.
    Edited by Lady_Galadhiel on May 25, 2021 4:49PM
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This isn't the only reason, but is a major contribution to why I refunded my pre-order of BW today.

Wait? We can refund? How?

For sure you can if you preordered it on consoles. Check my post history, I've put some links on this process.
  • JJuponen
    JJuponen
    ✭✭
    So, we will have new companions that fight as about well as the banker or the smuggler with the added new bonus of dying constantly.

Sounds like ESO alright.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JJuponen wrote: »
    So, we will have new companions that fight as about well as the banker or the smuggler with the added new bonus of dying constantly.

Sounds like ESO alright.

Indeed. Add to that that they will be, like the banker and merchant, a bunch of clones.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »

This isn't the only reason, but is a major contribution to why I refunded my pre-order of BW today.

Wait? We can refund? How?

For sure you can if you preordered it on consoles. Check my post history, I've put some links on this process.

Same thing with ESO+ on console.

I was able to refund the unused time for ESO+ by going through the subscriptions tabs on Microsoft.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like ESO alright.

Indeed. Add to that that they will be, like the banker and merchant, a bunch of clones.

I'd really love the opportunity to ask the specific person at ZOS-- who made the decision that companion faces couldn't be covered -- why they think it's a good idea for the game to force everyone to see the same two faces.

It just seems like a no-brainer to me to give players the option to give their companions a helmet.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like ESO alright.

I'd really love the opportunity to ask the specific person at ZOS-- who made the decision that companion faces couldn't be covered -- why they think it's a good idea for the game to force everyone to see the same two faces.

It just seems like a no-brainer to me to give players the option to give their companions a helmet.

Ultimately, that would be @ZOS_RichLambert. Ask away. He might even answer.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus