The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

100% GPU load in Login & Character Select Screen

TheForFeeF
TheForFeeF
✭✭✭
Just wondering if there is a fix or workaround for this? Confirmed it with a few guildies who have the same issue (~5 people).

I can't tell exactly when this happened, but I only noticed it today.

I get around 40-60% when playing the game.

No, v-sync isn't on - however, the FPS goes up to 200 in these screens.

I have tried it without addons and it the issue is still there. Updating GPU drivers too.

Just for purposes, my PC build is:
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
CPU: i7-9700k
RAM: 32GB @ 3200MHz

The game is on a 870 QVO SSD.

Fun game - spot the character select screen
ug9gqpwg37tf.png
Edited by ZOS_Chiroptera on May 24, 2021 12:47PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old bug, was fixed a long time ago, then came back again several weeks ago.

I made a post and report, so far no acknowledgment from ZOS.
    popcorn.gif

Edited by SirAndy on May 11, 2021 8:21PM
  • Matherios
    Matherios
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem, my gpu is 100% when eso is open (this started a few days ago)
    3j1lhk4n4xr6.png
  • HjorrMundGandr
    HjorrMundGandr
    ✭✭✭
    I have been having this too. Started about 2 months ago I think , can't really pin a date only started noticing the coil whine from my GPU on login screen which was never there before. This is not really causing an issue other than the coil whine.
    I have noticed that browsing google or using Youtube has a delay when typing into search bars when the Log-in screen is up, only slightly. Very strange, I wonder what changed it. I tried looking into the Config file but did not see anything that pointed to a change from an old backup I had.
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try capping FPS or forcing v-sync in your nVidia or AMD control panel. For some reason ingame FPS cap (which is 100 by default and can be changed in UserSettings.txt or by using Votan's Advanced Settings addon) doesn't work during character selection screen and some loading screens.

Similar thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7216776
    Edited by perfiction on May 15, 2021 8:11AM
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭
    perfiction wrote: »
    Try capping FPS or forcing v-sync in your nVidia or AMD control panel. For some reason ingame FPS cap (which is 100 by default and can be changed in UserSettings.txt or by using Votan's Advanced Settings addon) doesn't work during character selection screen and some loading screens.

Similar thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7216776

This isn't true at all. FPS counters show the FPS limit when on the character screen. There is something more serious at play here, as there are clearly tasks that are "leaking" in the background, when they shouldn't be.
  • Zekka
    Zekka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matherios wrote: »
    I have the same problem, my gpu is 100% when eso is open (this started a few days ago)
    3j1lhk4n4xr6.png

Same here, used to be around 30-40%, since a couple days it's a constant 100% as soon as I hit the character selection screen.
    Also my framerate has degraded, I used to have a solid 90-100 fps on medium settings/1080p in overworld/battlegrounds/dungeons with some of the graphic effects turned off and it would only drop to 50-60 fps in very busy areas like trials, Alik'r dolmens or large scale Cyrodiil fights. Now even in the middle of nowhere I can experience fps drops to 50-60.
    Also some particle heavy sets like Oblivion's Foe, Syvarra's scales, Azureblight that I could use without problems before now make my fps drop significantly upon activation. Particle heavy effects in general make my framerate drop when it used not to.

Tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling, uninstalling all my addons, lowering my settings to the absolute minimum, updating all my drivers, playing with the UserSettings.txt options and nothing helped.
  • pihlaja
    pihlaja
    ✭✭✭
    I've faced a similar issue that the GPU gets very warm and power usage skyrockets while in character selection screen. The GPU power usage went to 100% and fps went to something like 2000 fps if I stayed in character selection screen for longer than few seconds. (the fps numbers I see are based on Steam settings showing game fps on the corner of the screen so I cannot give 100% guarantee that they are real or correct).

Edit. I have rtx2080 and g-sync compatible monitor with g-sync on, v-sync is off in game settings. If it matters, the cpu is i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F gaming and 16G RAM. I have tried different video settings in game, but it doesn’t affect the issue.
    Edited by pihlaja on May 24, 2021 12:45PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. I have a RTX 2070, get up to 80% and my fans make worrying noises when I log in, but once I have actually loaded up a character it's back down to 40%.

60% in login, 80% in character select.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheForFeeF @Matherios @Zekka @pihlaja
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/574631/bug-gpu-near-100-on-login-and-character-select-screens#latest
    This solutioned resolved it for me. Just had to change a value in the UserSettings.txt file and then it was all good again.
    No weird sounds coming from my graphics card and GPU usage down to 20% from 60% during login screen and down to 40% (normal) during character selection.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • OneForSorrow
    OneForSorrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    @TheForFeeF @Matherios @Zekka @pihlaja
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/574631/bug-gpu-near-100-on-login-and-character-select-screens#latest
    This solutioned resolved it for me. Just had to change a value in the UserSettings.txt file and then it was all good again.
    No weird sounds coming from my graphics card and GPU usage down to 20% from 60% during login screen and down to 40% (normal) during character selection.

I completely nuked my UserSettings.txt file and let the game make a new one but the issue persists for me.

1500+ fps during loading screens and 60 when actually playing (the proper fps).

Vsync - doesn't work
    NVidia Adaptive Vsync - doesn't work
    Deleting Usersettings - doesn't work
    Setting FPS limit in Usersettings - doesn't work, even if I make the file read-only

Something in the game just overrides my limits and makes the GPU go nuts on these screens.
    Edited by OneForSorrow on June 8, 2021 4:34AM
    PC NA. Various alts, trying to find a main, I have no idea what I'm doing.