The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Another Guild Vendor Failure: Pricing Paintings for Sale

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I have no clear way of knowing (on the PS4) a decent price (both ends) for paintings without spending literally hours running from vendor to vendor to see who is selling them for how much.

Sure, this is great for those who can buy my underpriced paintings for far below their value, but why must it be that way?

Build some searching across guild vendors along with pricing details if you are going to keep this lousy system!
PC
PS4/PS5
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It depends on the painting. If its not rare, its not worth more than 500-1,000 gold. For instance, "Painting of Winter, Bolted" drops all the time. Other than that, you can estimate it using this:

https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/trade

Its not solely for PS4 but its close
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no clear way of knowing (on the PS4) a decent price (both ends) for paintings without spending literally hours running from vendor to vendor to see who is selling them for how much.

Sure, this is great for those who can buy my underpriced paintings for far below their value, but why must it be that way?

Build some searching across guild vendors along with pricing details if you are going to keep this lousy system!

Unless you picked it up in a trial, your paintings are probably worthless. My suggestion would be not to worry to much about what something is worth, put it up for sale and if it sells, you got what you wanted out of it. If not, lower the price and try again... although honestly, painting are one of the last things I would waste vendor space on, with few exceptions. I think I have looted maybe 3 paintings worth more than 150 gold in my years of playing.

In short: Unless you are a high end trader, which you obviously aren't, just sell stuff and don't worry about it getting bought up and flipped. I actually price a lot of stuff just so the flippers will buy it fast so I can turn over my inventory, as I only get 30 spots to list stuff.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am in at least one guild that has a decent trader. I have sold more than 1 painting for 20K+, though I suspect I was massively under the market in those cases.

Your points have validity, but only because the current system is so limiting.

They are least need to add pricing details and who is selling what (making us still head wherever) to remove at least some of these problems.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    You can check TTC website.
    Edited by xv1_me on May 5, 2021 4:52AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xv1_me wrote: »

That doesn't help on consoles.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just realized they moved this from the main forums, which is why it got so little attention.

No really helpful information has been provided (though a few did try, thanks!). My point was that the system is very broken in this area, except for those who benefit from flipping things like valuable paintings.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Unless you picked it up in a trial, your paintings are probably worthless. My suggestion would be not to worry to much about what something is worth, put it up for sale and if it sells, you got what you wanted out of it. If not, lower the price and try again... although honestly, painting are one of the last things I would waste vendor space on, with few exceptions. I think I have looted maybe 3 paintings worth more than 150 gold in my years of playing.

In short: Unless you are a high end trader, which you obviously aren't, just sell stuff and don't worry about it getting bought up and flipped. I actually price a lot of stuff just so the flippers will buy it fast so I can turn over my inventory, as I only get 30 spots to list stuff.

Why do you say that?

Some paintings that you pick up in chests in overland are worth a LOT of money. Like hundreds of thousands. Some painting have only dropped a handful of times on certain servers.

And quite a few that drop randomly are still worth 10s of thousands too.
    Edited by Brrrofski on May 5, 2021 7:42AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't know why you believe that. Its what people on consoles use as there is no console-specific site. Unless you are talking about an add-on that would let you see all guild vendors at once when you are looking to buy an item, in which case I would be in favor of that
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't know why you believe that. Its what people on consoles use as there is no console-specific site. Unless you are talking about an add-on that would let you see all guild vendors at once when you are looking to buy an item, in which case I would be in favor of that

At a minimum, checking the PC TTC prices would tell you if a particular painting is one of the couple of dozen that drop everywhere and have minimal value, or if it's actually one of the rare ones. I personally have found that rare furniture and plans often have a very narrow market of buyers, so pricing can be quite difficult and variable. Just because TTC has all the listings of say a Telvanni painting at over 500k doesn't mean there's necessarily someone out there willing to pay that much.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

kringled_1 wrote: »

At a minimum, checking the PC TTC prices would tell you if a particular painting is one of the couple of dozen that drop everywhere and have minimal value, or if it's actually one of the rare ones. I personally have found that rare furniture and plans often have a very narrow market of buyers, so pricing can be quite difficult and variable. Just because TTC has all the listings of say a Telvanni painting at over 500k doesn't mean there's necessarily someone out there willing to pay that much.

I will try it for that, but it still needs in-game pricing information.

The "where to find" feature is something I definitely want for other items.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You have no idea how long people have wanted that. I play on PS4 and I would be willing to spend crowns for an assistant or something that would tell me that. I suspect there is some tie-in with how guilds get their shops where you have to bid more for a primo spot in Mournhold than a spot in a thieves guild or a random spot in the wilderness. At that point, if you know where everything is for sale and what it costs, guild shop locations are less relevant
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You have no idea how long people have wanted that. I play on PS4 and I would be willing to spend crowns for an assistant or something that would tell me that. I suspect there is some tie-in with how guilds get their shops where you have to bid more for a primo spot in Mournhold than a spot in a thieves guild or a random spot in the wilderness. At that point, if you know where everything is for sale and what it costs, guild shop locations are less relevant

A few greatly benefit from this setup, so love it. Most do not.

I would prefer a global AH, but skip that and just let me know who has what and then I can travel to them. Perhaps I won't make it before it sells, but at least I would have a lead!
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on May 15, 2021 5:34AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesnt help if you are trying to buy an item, but gives a pretty good estimate about how to price it. There are also a few pricing apps/websites dedicated to console (at least for xbox).
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    carlos424 wrote: »

It doesnt help if you are trying to buy an item, but gives a pretty good estimate about how to price it. There are also a few pricing apps/websites dedicated to console (at least for xbox).

I have 1 or more channels on guild Discord servers that do this too, but I question the reliability if people have to enter data to find the value. That will almost certainly lead to incorrect data.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • jacktalkthai
    jacktalkthai
    ✭✭
    This is great and timely discussion, as I just looted two of these paintings in Vvardenfell over the past week or so (and noticed an Indoril Banner, Vivec I'd looted and forgotten). No idea how rare, aside from old comments in threads about rares. And I agree--while it may be great to put that ultra-rare purple up on auction looking for a few mil, but sometimes it takes time for them to sell. Even folks with that sort of money don't like to part with it.