The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Devs mis-labeled nightblade?

Aertew
Aertew
✭✭✭✭
I'm asking this here since it seems like the best place. I was googling Tel Naga because it was a term a NPC used in a side quest in blackwood and found myself on the Uesp. The unofficial elder scrolls pages. There I noticed the game had a nightblade class and was curious and clicked on it. The description was completely different from ESO. However the descrition for the "rogue" class was basically word by word in ESO.

So this had me wondering if they refused to label nightblade as "rogue" and purpefully kept the text, or if they had used the wrong description?

From the Morrowind: Classes page....

Rogue: In-game Description: Rogues are adventurers and opportunists with a gift for getting in and out of trouble. Relying variously on charm and dash, blades and business sense, they thrive on conflict and misfortune, trusting to their luck and cunning to survive.

Nightblade: In-game Description: Nightblades are spellcasters who use their magics to enhance mobility, concealment, and stealthy close combat. They have a sinister reputation, since many nightblades are thieves, enforcers, assassins, or covert agents

This makes alot of sense because reading the description for nightblade made me think it was wierd since nightblades actually use magic.
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    Aertew wrote: »
    I'm asking this here since it seems like the best place. I was googling Tel Naga because it was a term a NPC used in a side quest in blackwood and found myself on the Uesp. The unofficial elder scrolls pages. There I noticed the game had a nightblade class and was curious and clicked on it. The description was completely different from ESO. However the descrition for the "rogue" class was basically word by word in ESO.

So this had me wondering if they refused to label nightblade as "rogue" and purpefully kept the text, or if they had used the wrong description?

From the Morrowind: Classes page....

Rogue: In-game Description: Rogues are adventurers and opportunists with a gift for getting in and out of trouble. Relying variously on charm and dash, blades and business sense, they thrive on conflict and misfortune, trusting to their luck and cunning to survive.

Nightblade: In-game Description: Nightblades are spellcasters who use their magics to enhance mobility, concealment, and stealthy close combat. They have a sinister reputation, since many nightblades are thieves, enforcers, assassins, or covert agents

This makes alot of sense because reading the description for nightblade made me think it was wierd since nightblades actually use magic.
    The Morrowind: Classes page is for TESIII:Morrowind, not the DLC. That's why it has the Morrowind's descriptions for the classes.
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find the edit button, so just to add to it, they used the Rogue description for Nightblades probably because they didn't want to influence the players into thinking all Nightblades are evil, and have a more neutral description, and also probably to do away with the "negative reputation" Nightblades have in the 3rd era.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adventurer wrote: »
    I can't find the edit button, so just to add to it, they used the Rogue description for Nightblades probably because they didn't want to influence the players into thinking all Nightblades are evil, and have a more neutral description, and also probably to do away with the "negative reputation" Nightblades have in the 3rd era.

The reputation of those who deem themselves Nightblades never quite recovered after Tiber Septim with blooded hand cast fault on one for the flames that sprang forth from his own unbridled ambition.
    Edited by ealdwin on June 2, 2021 7:20PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades as I understand them from Oblivion were spell casting rogues with a passion for illusions. You see this in ESO with them using illusion spells, shadow magic, and rogues attacks with blades and summoned bound weapons.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO class is a blend of different Morrowind classes. ESO's stamblade is the Rogue, while the magblade is the more proper Nightblade.
    The Templar for example is a blend of the Crusader, Healer and Knight depending on how your Templar is specced.

But it should be noted that these classes are just a type classification and concepts, not actual professions or anything so what something is or is not can be pretty fuzzy at times.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Nightblades as I understand them from Oblivion were spell casting rogues with a passion for illusions. You see this in ESO with them using illusion spells, shadow magic, and rogues attacks with blades and summoned bound weapons.

That's why it was confusing for when I read the nightblade description and there wasn't any mention of illusion magic and the description made them seem like regular adventures.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The proper schools of magic aren't set up in this era, so illusion spells exist but aren't labeled as such.
  • Aramithius
    Aramithius
    ✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Adventurer wrote: »
    The reputation of those who deem themselves Nightblades never quite recovered after Tiber Septim with blooded hand cast fault on one for the flames that sprang forth from his own unbridled ambition.
    So, you're saying that Hjalti was a Mehrunes Dagon cultist!? The plot thickens! :tongue:
    Host of the Written in Uncertainty podcast, and regular participant in the Selectives Lorecast.
    Officer of the PC-EU chapter of the Loreseekers guild.