Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of August 5:
· PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 5
· NA megaservers for maintenance – August 7, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· EU megaservers for maintenance – August 7, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – August 7, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/663391

Do oblivion portals event exsist?

notyuu
notyuu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Been running around blackwood for several hours now and have not seen a singular portal anywhere within the land.

so as the title says...do they actually exsist or was it a marketing lie?
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one very fast last night (small red portals, not the huge ones like in Oblivion), then proceeded to find and complete another two portals within the hour. Only played for 2 hours total last night so that's a pretty good rate I think for something I wasn't actively seeking (was just unlocking wayshrines).
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one in a random out of the place location. What drew my attention to it was the red beam going into the sky when I got close, the daedra around it, and the surrounding burned landscape.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one last night with one of the new enemies in front of it. After killing that thing/guy, the portal simply vanished. So far the only way I found to get to the Deadlands is porting to a guildmate. A friend would word, too, I expect.
    Options
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was finding a bunch to the point where I stopped entering them so I could actually focus on the quests I was neglecting.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
    Options
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The portals are a lie
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

Options
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They spawn (randomly? in a predictable pattern like Dolmens? on a timer? not sure...) in specific set locations, so if you know where to look you can just wait for one to open up. Beats wandering randomly for hours and just hoping for the best, which is what a lot of us did on the PTS! :P

One spot that's easy to find is right across the water from the Leyawiin Outskirts Wayshrine. Go there, turn around. See the water? See the two trees on the land straight across from you; one skinny and tall, one twisted and shorter? Go there. The little bare patch between them will have a Portal spawn there pretty regularly. Enjoy your trip into the Deadlands! :smiley:

@Saucy_Jack, did you ever post that list of locations you were compiling anywhere online?

Edited by GreenHere on June 3, 2021 3:58PM
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday and today I stumbled across one portal by chance. All opponents had already been killed and I just waited for the endboss to spawn. The plain looks cool, but it is not very spectacular imho. I was hoping it would be more reminiscent of TES IV Oblivion.
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    blackwood_oblivion_portals-eso-wiki-guide.jpg?v=1620196788740

What you expect it will be:
    Oblivion%2BGate.jpg

Reality:
    Elder-Scrolls-Online-Blackwood-Oblivion-Portals-01-640x360.jpg
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on June 2, 2021 6:44PM
    love is love
    Options
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oblivion%2BGate.jpg

Reality:

I clicked on that first Spoiler tag and had a flash of nostalgia and heard the epic Oblivion music for a second there when I saw the OG scary-ass lookin Oblivion Gate! Thanks for that! :)

But I swear that when I clicked on that second Spoiler button and that underwhelming Portal image popped up, I heard a wimpy little *fart* sound effect in my head automatically. :D
    Options
  • Phaedryn
    Phaedryn
    ✭✭✭
    Considering these are the equivalent of Dolmens/harrowstorms/atc. I expect them to be about as common.
    Options
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oblivion%2BGate.jpg

Reality:

Honestly this was the biggest disappointment. All other dolmen-esque events are visible from across the landscape, while these portals you can barely see from over a hill.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
    Options
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are rare..and need to stay rare
    Options
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Klad wrote: »

@Klad why
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Portals are weird. I found an open one, no one around. I entered it, and there was a player just standing there. So I went on to kill enemies. I came to another portal at the opposite side of the small area of this part of the map, there looks to be a dozen such areas. After questioning it, I took the potal and found myself in another part of the map.

I was joined by other players, and encountered enemies at least as strong as an anchor boss, but no boss loot. This continued for two more areas until reaching a building. I expected to climb a tower, but everyone ran down stairs, so I followed.

We came out into a new map area. Several players were standing around, and there was a dead named boss in the center. There were also several portals, these all said "leave deadlands" when targeted. I decided to wait.

After a short while, a second boss spawned. A second identical boss corpse soon joined the first after a short fight. I was worried when I again got no boss level loot, but this time a golden glowing chest appeared, and I finally got a set ring. I took the exit portal, and found myself back in Blackwood, with no portal to return to the Deadlands.

So as I understand it. Several random portals spawn leading to different islands on the Deadlands map. But you don't have to worry about making it to the center fast enough before the boss is killed once inside, because he'll just respawn and you also won't be forced out. However, if someone kills the boss the first time, before you enter from Blackwood, then the entrance portals will close. Do I have that correct?
    Edited by driosketch on June 2, 2021 7:25PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Klad wrote: »

@Klad why

Yeah...why.

Because anchors dropping at X time at X spot is stupid, In the old EQ there was a respawn in front of the city every 5.5 minutes..it became a joke. When I find an oblivion portal it's a big deal...I just laugh at anchors as I ride by.

I know everyone doesn't agree with it YMMV but then again some folks would rather see a 2x2 biome with a single mob that continually drops loot every cycle (Neverwinter literally had this) Personally I rather like some suspense...but fear not the devs will see this and knee jerk to have 10 oblivion portals right in front of Leyawiin on a two minuet rotation.
    Options
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    @Saucy_Jack, did you ever post that list of locations you were compiling anywhere online?

I didn't, but I'm working on making an uber-map
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
    Options
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Portals are weird. I found an open one, no one around. I entered it, and there was a player just standing there. So I went on to kill enemies. I came to another portal at the opposite side of the small area of this part of the map, there looks to be a dozen such areas. After questioning it, I took the potal and found myself in another part of the map.

I was joined by other players, and encountered enemies at least as strong as an anchor boss, but no boss loot. This continued for two more areas until reaching a building. I expected to climb a tower, but everyone ran down stairs, so I followed.

We came out into a new map area. Several players were standing around, and there was a dead named boss in the center. There were also several portals, these all said "leave deadlands" when targeted. I decided to wait.

After a short while, a second boss spawned. A second identical boss corpse soon joined the first after a short fight. I was worried when I again got no boss level loot, but this time a golden glowing chest appeared, and I finally got a set ring. I took the exit portal, and found myself back in Blackwood, with no portal to return to the Deadlands.

So as I understand it. Several random portals spawn leading to different islands on the Deadlands map. But you don't have to worry about making it to the center fast enough before the boss is killed once inside, because he'll just respawn and you also won't be forced out. However, if someone kills the boss the first time, before you enter from Blackwood, then the entrance portals will close. Do I have that correct?

Yep, pretty much nailed it @driosketch ! When you first enter any Oblivion Portal from Blackwood, it'll randomly put you on one of the islands in The Deadlands. No matter where you start out, all the paths kind of funnel you toward that last boss you saw where the golden glowing chest shows up. So despite the seeming branching/open layout of the map, it's a fairly linear experience overall. You follow the portals, and eventually you end up at the end. Unless you get frisky and start trying to wade through lava or something, you really don't have much in the way of freedom (or opportunity to screw up / get lost) in The Deadlands via these Oblivion Portals.

As the initial rush of players doing these dies down, you'll be able to experience it all a little more smoothly. Like you said, everything is usually dead or super-soon-to-be-dead with so many players swarming the event right now.
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in 2, first one was empty because people where camping the boss
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Given that they are unmarked and intended to be random ZOS should probably increase the number of possible spawn points.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Done two already, first was just outside Leyawind, second was a bit into the country, saw an 3rd but did not enter.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in 2, first one was empty because people where camping the boss
    Do they stay up until people are out?
    Yes they could just remove the gate so more can not enter if up for too long.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i've found them fun, but they are not my main priority, loot is as usual (meh); (note to self: have to jump there outside of prime time) as difficulty for me looks somewhere around non-dlc dungeon...

have been in 2 or 3 - seems bosses respawn after some time - on first islands loot from kills was as someone just has been there, on last boss there was people camping - killed it took loot from chest, went back to 4 flam-y statues(?) for hidden boss, returned, killed again last boss looted chest again and went out as there was too much people to actually fight...
    Edited by ghost_bg_ESO on June 3, 2021 2:52PM
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one within my first hour of running around exploring Blackwood and had fun running through the Deadlands with a few other players, trying to land a few hits before the other players insta-melted everything. That one was up north near (IIRC) one of the set-crafting stations, or it might have been the one that's more toward the center. At the time, I was trying to find the cathedral home, but I went to the NW and had to make my way back SE and then NE to eventually find it.

Last night I ran into the one that's just north of Leyawiin and got my butt kicked by the first mini-boss I encountered, so I hung around a few minutes until a couple of other players came in, then had to race behind them while they insta-melted everything in their path. The bosses are definitely harder than most public dungeons-- although the newer PDs seem to be a good bit harder than the pre-Greymoor PDs, which I can only guess was done to appease all the crazily-OP players who are constantly whining for harder content and vet versions of everything.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to post a disclaimer... Pretty sure that is not a comprehensive list of locations. The only portal that I have come across that is on that map is the one by Border Watch.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oblivion%2BGate.jpg

Reality:

Sad to since the storyline has proper mini Oblivion portals. Come on, ZOS!!! :disappointed:
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options