Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New ESO player here. What are some things you know now you wish you knew when you were new?

• Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the comments say don't build hybrids--but I'm going to say that there are more than 5 sets that make hybrids at least 80% the strength of Min-Max builds.

So if you don't care about being the BEST dps/healer, doing veteran dungeons, or veteran trials, then you can easily survive playing as hybrid. The best way for that imo:

Look for sets that give both
    • stamina/magicka
    • weapon/spell crit
    • physical/magical penetration
    and/or
    • weapon/spell damage

Stick to 1 or 2 of the 4 I mentioned above so you don't spread your focus too much, and then you should be able to do decent physical and magical damage. I also highly recommend using Torc of Tonal Constancy with a hybrid build if you are using both magicka and stamina abilities.

But do NOT forget: If you play a hybrid build in veteran content--people may kick you from group, or ridicule you in chat, or even try to give advice how to "properly play the game." So you've been warned. I wish hybrid builds were more accepted. But maybe they'll become viable without the min-maxers complaining about the pure stam or pure magicka character identities.

When I played Oblivion and Skyrim, I always played rogues with dagger + Illusion/Alteration magic, and Bow. ESO makes me feel stupid for enjoying that aspect of TES games. But if you theorycraft enough, you'll find sets that work. They may not look or be named something cool, or do neat effects, but they work.

PS. New Moon Acolyte isn't the best hybrid set out there, despite the stats looking really good. It's because the "focus" is too spread out, and not enough resources for sustain. EDIT: This included Triglyph enchants and all divines, as well as a separate test with Infused he, ch, and le.
    Edited by Syrpynt on June 2, 2021 4:33PM
  • afia2000
    afia2000
    If you have Blackwood, do the companion quests now and let your companion level up with you. I had been playing a few months before Blackwood came out so I didn't have that option. It was tedious getting my companion leveled up in the undaunted/fighters/ and mages guilds after I had already maxed those lines out myself.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Don't bother collecting "special" gear (the ones with some description or special name). Those will only clutter your inventory.

IF they are part of a set and IF you are on PC NA sell them to me (if they are max level and sellable). I am a complete sucker for these and this is totally where all my transmute crystals go as they often have terrible traits.

As a "non-tradable" example, the first time you complete Crypt of Hearts I, you will get as a reward the Heartbreaker's Ebon Greaves; which is a part of the Ebon Armory set. Not tradable. I like it because it's Ancient Elven style instead of Ebony style and I like that look better on my Orsimer SorcTank.

Yes it's a fluffy little choice - which dovetails with my next bit of advice for a newbie - or anyone. Do the stuff that you find fun, even if it's weird.

For me it's worth it to
    -Have a backup set up so that you [any given character] can tank or heal in a normal dungeon so you can get easy transmutes and level undaunted
    -max out every character's inventory (via horse/training AND bag space) AND bank inventory
    -If you can get your paws on any big house (I got Storage Villa - excuse me - Psijic Villa - as part of a contest) use it to store excess furnishings.
    -find a decent friendly guild or a few such and sell stuff and talk to guildies
    Edited for punctuation
    Edited by newtinmpls on September 7, 2021 7:46PM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Start the "undaunted" line early, and remember which zone it was - it will matter later when you "sign the book" for dailies.
    i'm not a new player (been here since 2013 BETA ) but every so often i still feel like one lol , so umm... Just curious but what exactly did you mean by that ^ ? Can you elaborate without too much *spoilers* ? ( i'm pretty sure i've already signed the book a while go)

And now i have to think back many many years ago to figure out which zone i started Undaunted in... :|

Edited by NeeScrolls on November 21, 2021 9:40AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @NeeScrolls basically I am a serious alt-o-holic and I do NOT always do every quest (even the ones that offer skill points once any given character is "fairly functional".

But there came a point where a character that had been at Vet/CP level for a while needed to do something that depended on him actually being Undaunted, and I'd long since thrown out the "invite" from Maj which tells you which Enclave to go to.

It was (of course) the last one I went to.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    @NeeScrolls
    there came a point where a character that had been at Vet/CP level for a while needed to do something that depended on him actually being Undaunted, and I'd long since thrown out the "invite" from Maj which tells you which Enclave to go to.

It was (of course) the last one I went to.
    hmm okay thanks for the reply but now i think i'm even more confused :D ( i'm probably reading wayyyy too much into this whole thing though )

Btw, IF i'm understanding your posts correctly , i think now i realize why i've been stuck on 'level 7' xp bar for Undaunted since like 2017 lol

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    I think now i realize why i've been stuck on 'level 7' xp bar for Undaunted since like 2017 lol [/color]

You go up in Undaunted (if I recall correctly) any time you get a "dungeon award" like damage dealer or super healer, or something like that. I think also doing undaunted dailies and Bogrul's dailies.

If you are only doing random dungeons and are not officially doing and turning in dailies - well the dungeon awards finish after a while, so I could see where you would kinda stall out
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I knew that outfit slots (and now armoury slots) are character-specific and not account wide. Intuitively it made sense to me that something like that would be account-wide, so I was shocked when I bought a slot while on my alt and didn't see it on my main.

Carefully pick the character(s) you want to have those extra outfit/armoury slots!
    Edited by Anumaril on November 30, 2021 11:53AM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    I think now i realize why i've been stuck on 'level 7' xp bar for Undaunted since like 2017 lol [/color]

You go up in Undaunted (if I recall correctly) any time you get a "dungeon award" like damage dealer or super healer, or something like that. I think also doing undaunted dailies and Bogrul's dailies.

If you are only doing random dungeons and are not officially doing and turning in dailies - well the dungeon awards finish after a while, so I could see where you would kinda stall out
    ok cool yeah once i finally finish going thru all the DLC map zones i never completed, the 'Undaunted' routine is on ESO To Do List next! Although, i just realized i sorta missed taking better advantage of that big Undaunted EVENT but oh well.

p.s. On-topic for OP thread: Turn OFF 'zone chat' as much as possible, particularly in starter zones....cuz....well... It's not exactly very immersive to read a slew of trolls, jerks, & spammers while dialog'ing w/ Abner Tharn or Lord Caldwell. :|

• Captain_Devildog
    Captain_Devildog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get attached to:
    1. your character
    2. your race
    3. your class
    4. your gameplay
    5. your skills
    6. your champion points
    7. your playstyle
    8. your build
    9. your sets (all the gear).
    Everything related to combat and identity in general.

Beceause even after 8 years of being used to spam the skill you like, it doesn't matter they can change everything every 3 months wether people like it or not.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new player should know much of the advice in this thread is outdated. Find a more recently written guide to playing.
  • tincanman
    tincanman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thread start: nov 2019
    penultimate post (prior to this): sept 2022

It's hardly surprising that the information may be outdated when digging up a thread from the graveyard.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tincanman wrote: »
    thread start: nov 2019
    penultimate post (prior to this): sept 2022

It's hardly surprising that the information may be outdated when digging up a thread from the graveyard.

Someone new to the game and forums may not realize that, doesn't hurt to post a warning for them.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focus on one character!

Join a few 500 population Social guilds in Guildfinder.

Research… research… and research some more. When you’re not researching, deconstruct everything.

Make sure to save all of your raw materials until you get your crafting skills leveled enough to refine the highest rarity from them.

Learn all of your motifs, and ask about the Outfit Station.

Upgrade your bag at a bag merchant, and your bank space too.

Train your mount Speed to 60 first, then Capacity to 60, then Stamina to 60.

Do NOT spend any gold outside of upgrades, there will be countless players looking for your money... if anyone asks, you’re broke. You will need a lot of gold when you hit Champion 160, as max level gear is expensive.

If you own a Blackwood or High Isle, get a companion.

Lastly… focus on making a Damage Dealer loadout first, as you will need it to quest, Critical Damage and Critical Rating are amazing stats that you should look for.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing for almost two weeks after buying Elsweyr and subscribing to plus. So far I'm having a lot of fun but there seems a lot to take in. So I'm looking for tips from veteran players. As the title states, what are things you know now that you wish you knew when you were new to the game?

Thanks in advance for any info and happy adventures.

Get someone to craft you a training set, anything basic will be leaps and bounds ahead of the random gear you will have levelling up. Join a guild if you are struggling to find a crafter.

I made lots of new characters, I would recommend finding what your favourite class is quickly then sticking to that character so it can be your crafter quester and PVP using the armoury slots for different build.

When I started playing there were no armoury slots and no hybrids so take full advantage of that.

Also take full advantage of the set items, I have so many sets I have deleted and I am only half way through completing. If you collect as many sets as you can now, when you get to 160, use transmutes to reconstruct your favourite sets, once you've completed the collection it only costs 25 transmutes to reconstruct, a lot cheaper than transmuting items.

Get a horse and level it up every day.

Inventory management, deconstruct everything and only reconstruct full sets so you don't become overwhelmed with random sets.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is from two years ago.

I'm pretty sure the new player (OP) in this discussion is no longer a new player and is now currently a normal player.

My guess is that the OP did appreciate the advice that was given 👍. Other currently new players can still learn from this thread too.
    Edited by wilykcat on August 16, 2023 1:32PM
  • Jedi1josh
    Jedi1josh
    ✭✭
    Don't stress out trying to make that meta build. I have 10 toons and my favorite is the one that is my own creation.