The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A 2021 Update on Furnishing Cap

LeonAkando
LeonAkando
✭✭✭✭
Can we get one? 2020 Feb is the most recent and with next gen-consoles out I would like to revisit the topic.
Not a single day goes by where I don't log on thinking about Furnishing Space and how these massive manors are under-decorated.

I understand before the ancient limitations of the 2013 Gen consoles (wow that's older than the game) was making it hard to load for console players.
I also understand that adoption rate of the new consoles is slow (I think I heard something about scalpers?) but I'm so desperate for extra furnishing space I just want to know if its on the way or if there's any chance of it arriving within the year, or next even.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to see ZOS update that old information. Probably hasn't changed. I figure that as long as they have to support the old-gen consoles and lower end PCs, the furnishing limits will remain as they are.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see ZOS update that old information. Probably hasn't changed. I figure that as long as they have to support the old-gen consoles and lower end PCs, the furnishing limits will remain as they are.

That insight is probably exactly why it hasn't been updated.

As long as someone can buy the game and "run" it on a Potato PC, even if they get no more than 2 frames per second, ZOS has to make sure that person can play the content.

There's the idea of "Well, make different quality Megaservers" but that will be extremely expensive and fracture the player base.

The only viable option would be for the Devs to make a difficult call such as "PCs and consoles below X specifications will no longer be supported." And I can promise you that will not go over well.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »

As long as someone can buy the game and "run" it on a Potato PC, even if they get no more than 2 frames per second, ZOS has to make sure that person can play the content.

There's the idea of "Well, make different quality Megaservers" but that will be extremely expensive and fracture the player base.

The only viable option would be for the Devs to make a difficult call such as "PCs and consoles below X specifications will no longer be supported." And I can promise you that will not go over well.

Well, they have made that call in the past, when they dropped DX9 support on PC. It was not a universally popular decision, either. I expect that this could happen with the Sony and Microsoft soon-to-be-doorstops, given sufficient reason.
    Edited by Elsonso on May 29, 2021 1:44AM
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they have made that call in the past, when they dropped DX9 support on PC. It was not a universally popular decision, either. I expect that this could happen with the Sony and Microsoft soon-to-be-doorstops, given sufficient reason.

It won't be remotely soon, since it's still nearly impossible to buy the new consoles at retail price, and it's estimated to stay that way well into 2022.
    Edited by B0SSzombie on May 29, 2021 12:04PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It won't be remotely soon, since it's still nearly impossible to buy the new consoles at retail price, and it's estimated to stay that way well into 2022.

I would not expect them to do that this year, even if people were handing out free consoles on the street.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Furnishing cap makes many players not buy large houses. I'm still using medium size home because I know the large houses can't be properly furnished. Even medium sized homes run out of furnishing slots quickly. I decorated my garden and have very few slots left for indoors.
    Edited by SkaraMinoc on May 30, 2021 3:28AM
    PC NA
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know quite a few people on PS4 who've put 50+ hours into decorated only to have their house become unusable- they crash everytime they enter.

I think the safest thing to do with places like the new huge house is to add load screens entering the large buildings with seperate build limits. With the new one you could have, say, 300 slots for each of the two large buildings and 600-700 for the rest of it.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind load screens if it gets us more slot for the larger homes. I really really like larger houses, don't get me wrong I like the mediums too. I don't have much use for the small homes. But for these large ones it's okay to have a load screen. Provided we could get more slots
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they should be add multiple limits - the "Base Limit" would be the same as it is now, and then add a "High Performance Limit" which would some additional amount.

High Performance Limit would have two rules:
    1) Only available on next-gen consoles or on PC with a quality setting.
    2) Items stored against the High Limit would not have collision on them.

When someone on PS4 loads a house made on PS5, they only see the items in the base limit. (This is why collision is disabled in the high limit).

Some tools would need to be added to the housing system (Switch items between hi/low, for example, and preview house in low performance mode) - but I don't think that it would be very complicated to implement.

Since High Limit items wouldn't have collision info, they could even have it load the Base Limit items in a loading screen, and then pop-in the High-Performance ones as they are loaded, so loading screens wouldn't need to be longer either.
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AdamBourke wrote: »

I think they should be add multiple limits - the "Base Limit" would be the same as it is now, and then add a "High Performance Limit" which would some additional amount.

High Performance Limit would have two rules:
    1) Only available on next-gen consoles or on PC with a quality setting.
    2) Items stored against the High Limit would not have collision on them.

When someone on PS4 loads a house made on PS5, they only see the items in the base limit. (This is why collision is disabled in the high limit).

Some tools would need to be added to the housing system (Switch items between hi/low, for example, and preview house in low performance mode) - but I don't think that it would be very complicated to implement.

Since High Limit items wouldn't have collision info, they could even have it load the Base Limit items in a loading screen, and then pop-in the High-Performance ones as they are loaded, so loading screens wouldn't need to be longer either.

Interesting idea, but how would the housing editor know which items were the base limit? Would it just randomly pick them?

I have suggested in the past that the house owner be allowed to turn collision off for items that are placed such that player collision won’t occur, like items up high where they can’t be reached. I think this would involve significant changes and additions to the housing editor function, though.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭

Well, no PS console below PS4 can carry the game anyway. And PS5 is backwards compatible.
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • Lady_Lindel
    Lady_Lindel
    ✭✭✭
    I've always felt they should add a new server. If they added one for pvp players only, that would solve a lot of problems for them. That would lower the stress on all servers and then they could increase the slots for housing. As Microsoft is a billion dollar company, there really in no excuse for us having to put up with the same slots for years. And , seriously now with the npc's we can place in our homes, they still only have 10 slots available.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always felt they should add a new server. If they added one for pvp players only, that would solve a lot of problems for them. That would lower the stress on all servers and then they could increase the slots for housing. As Microsoft is a billion dollar company, there really in no excuse for us having to put up with the same slots for years. And , seriously now with the npc's we can place in our homes, they still only have 10 slots available.

Yeah... I don't think that is a good idea and I doubt that it would have the impact that you think it will. It isn't like the PVP and housing instances are physically located on the same server hardware. Actually, indications are that each campaign consumes an entire physical server and that nothing else shares that server.

Besides, the limitations to housing are not on the server, they are on the client PC and Console. Every house in the game has to conform to the lowest player hardware allowed by the game, since anyone on the server could potentially be invited to enter a house. Restricting who can enter is rather awkward, especially when you find out that your friend, PS4 Suzi, can't enter your glorious PS5 only house.