The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dungeon Story Mode - Redacted

• tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like to solo dungeons to get the story, and that can be done on normal... in most cases. What we need is for them to make it so the ones that aren't are soloable, even if it means you do it with Companions, that'd be great.

But for that, we'd need to be able to tell Basti to stand on the pad in Direfrost or pull the levers in ICP, or we'd need to have them correctly stop a pin mechanic like killing one of the shades in FGII or interrupting Melitus in MHK...

I'd also love it if the quests were repeatable - not for XP or rewards, just to get to see the dialogue again. Now that I'm experienced enough to start soloing normals, it's great to see the quests... but then I only get the last line of the NPC dialogue and still have to piece everything together with the UESP dialogue archives.

It feels like one of the major points of Companions were so that they could allow us to 'solo' a dungeon and see the story, but unfortunately they're really not able to do that. And if we've already got the dungeon quest, we can never get back to seeing the dialogue.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    A separate story mode and dlc dungeon queue/random would be great.

ain't happening at this point with companions - they were designed as a way to encourage a player and a friend to take their companions into early level dungeons. The devs want players to get better at playing the game and eventually start talking with other players - to socialize more.

Companions are designed to be eventually outmoded by other players. The Devs are not going to do a "Story Mode" just as they won't do a PvE Cyrodil because they want players to participate an ALL content and become more well-rounded.

They're trying to push people out of their comfort bubbles
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

ain't happening at this point with companions - they were designed as a way to encourage a player and a friend to take their companions into early level dungeons. The devs want players to get better at playing the game and eventually start talking with other players - to socialize more.

Companions are designed to be eventually outmoded by other players. The Devs are not going to do a "Story Mode" just as they won't do a PvE Cyrodil because they want players to participate an ALL content and become more well-rounded.

I get so sick of hearing of how the Devs want us to play. I thought it was supposed to be: play how you want to play, and play the content you like to play.

Although I'd love a story dungeon mode, sadly I agree, it ain't happening. If I've learned one thing from playing ESO, it's that I much prefer single-player games to MMOs. That's just one of the many reasons I've stopped my ESO+.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can already solo most Normal Dungeons. With companions coming, you can solo them all probably.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smitch_59 wrote: »

I get so sick of hearing of how the Devs want us to play. I thought it was supposed to be: play how you want to play, and play the content you like to play.

Although I'd love a story dungeon mode, sadly I agree, it ain't happening. If I've learned one thing from playing ESO, it's that I much prefer single-player games to MMOs. That's just one of the many reasons I've stopped my ESO+.

well they want maximum participation in activities they designed so if you want certain rewards or to play certain activities then you gotta play the way it was designed and possibly play with other people
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexi wrote: »
    You can already solo most Normal Dungeons. With companions coming, you can solo them all probably.

This is and isn't true. There are some dungeons with mechanics that pick one player, and incapacitate them. If there is only one (solo) player in that situation there is no one left to do the mechanic, which is usually to burst dps something or click something. So far as has been revealed, the companions aren't going to be able to do this sort of thing.

And then there are pressure plates and other 'puzzles' that require a little something that only another player can provide.

I don't disagree with your post in that most dungeons are simple walk in, fight, and walk out scenarios. That can be done solo, with enough gear/CP and skill. But there are a few places in group content, where the devs have put little mechanics in that require another player to accomplish.

I also think that group content shouldn't be changed into non-group content, at least in general. A 'story mode' isn't a bad idea however. Maybe allow it to drop green trainee gear in place of normal drops, and call it 'Trainee mode', and have the group mechanics taken out?
  • Supertonicbaker
    Supertonicbaker
    ✭✭✭

Capt. Blackheart would like a word with you.
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »

This is and isn't true. There are some dungeons with mechanics that pick one player, and incapacitate them. If there is only one (solo) player in that situation there is no one left to do the mechanic, which is usually to burst dps something or click something. So far as has been revealed, the companions aren't going to be able to do this sort of thing.

And then there are pressure plates and other 'puzzles' that require a little something that only another player can provide.

I don't disagree with your post in that most dungeons are simple walk in, fight, and walk out scenarios. That can be done solo, with enough gear/CP and skill. But there are a few places in group content, where the devs have put little mechanics in that require another player to accomplish.

I also think that group content shouldn't be changed into non-group content, at least in general. A 'story mode' isn't a bad idea however. Maybe allow it to drop green trainee gear in place of normal drops, and call it 'Trainee mode', and have the group mechanics taken out?

Nope, it should drop NOTHING and give 0 XP and no SkillPoiint for the quest.

I thought you were there for the story.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's these kind of conversations that ZOS went with companions and not a "story mode" they want players to play with other people.
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's these kind of conversations that ZOS went with companions and not a "story mode" they want players to play with other people.

Even that's not enough for these people, nothing ever is until you can AFK. Then they complain that it's not rewarding enough. Then they up the rewards and "omg game is boring and nothing to do I quit".

We already saw it in SWTOR, that's why these discussions are utterly pointless, it's already been done in another game, the result will be the same.
    Edited by Hexi on May 16, 2021 6:13AM
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Capt. Blackheart would like a word with you.

Precognition would like a word with Capt. Blackheart.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Even that's not enough for these people, nothing ever is until you can AFK. Then they complain that it's not rewarding enough. Then they up the rewards and "omg game is boring and nothing to do I quit".

We already saw it in SWTOR, that's why these discussions are utterly pointless, it's already been done in another game, the result will be the same.

I think that it is a bad idea to put any kind of a "Story Mode" in a game that has content centered around action designed combat, killing, and looting so then you can get better at killing, etc

It's my core problem with Overland & Main Story questing in the first place - too much of the content is basically on "story mode", which is ridiculous.

If there's going to any kind of talk about reward for scaled difficulty it should only be concerning of raising difficulty. Any reward should feel Earned - not handed to you on a silver platter.

I changed my mind on this thread a long while ago. Dungeons don't need a story mode - People need to get better at playing the game and socializing with others. It's an MMORPG that heavily focuses on combat - it is not a single player point & click adventure.

The Story content should not ONLY be on beginner easy - that design choice takes almost all excitement out of the story for me. Make Zones solo combat engaging so then I can bring a friend along for questing - and make the story boss fights actually worth the wait.
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it is a bad idea to put any kind of a "Story Mode" in a game that has content centered around action designed combat, killing, and looting so then you can get better at killing, etc

It's my core problem with Overland & Main Story questing in the first place - too much of the content is basically on "story mode", which is ridiculous.

If there's going to any kind of talk about reward for scaled difficulty it should only be concerning of raising difficulty. Any reward should feel Earned - not handed to you on a silver platter.

I changed my mind on this thread a long while ago. Dungeons don't need a story mode - People need to get better at playing the game and socializing with others. It's an MMORPG that heavily focuses on combat - it is not a single player point & click adventure.

The Story content should not ONLY be on beginner easy - that design choice takes almost all excitement out of the story for me. Make Zones solo combat engaging so then I can bring a friend along for questing - and make the story boss fights actually worth the wait.

Vet ranks were amazing before the rework. You actually had to learn how to play the damn game. It was glorious to watch a Medusa Daedra mob wipe out 10 people with one spell.
    Edited by Hexi on May 16, 2021 9:00AM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree with story mode OR reduce/disable.

Though i disagree about "no gear drop". Why not? Don't be that greedy, that gear is BoP anyway, you can't sell it.
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    agree with story mode OR reduce/disable.

Though i disagree about "no gear drop". Why not? Don't be that greedy, that gear is BoP anyway, you can't sell it.

Point proven once again.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Vet ranks were amazing before the rework. You actually had to learn how to play the damn game. It was glorious to watch a Medusa Daedra mob wipe out 10 people with one spell.

YES - if they could make a Veteran Overland Setting that was close to that level of difficulty (as well as rework story bosses to actually be challenging & fun) then that would be Great!
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    redacted.
    Edited by Sylosi on May 16, 2021 12:40PM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love story mode, and also consider it a practice mode because not having much time I get out of doing dungeons and forget the mechanics totally. If I could just hop in and practice, see all the stories then I would probably feel more prepared and ready to go in ordinary dungeons without annoying other people by lack of preparedness.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A story mode for a dungeon you have played already would be nice. Or just give us a story mode. It’s really that simple.

Don’t even know why people are defending the speed runs - you clearly don’t want to do team work, so why bother joining a random group? Oh that’s right, the transmute crystals.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I like it! That would be perfect for me, as my ping is so high (satellite being the only connection - besides dialup - available to me here) that doing group content would be asking people to put up with a group member who is totally ineffective.

You will be surprised how bad dds are in dungeons sometimes. Just slot 4 aoe dots, recast all 4 every 10 seconds, and you deal more damage than average dd in normal. (In proper gear probably though, any 2 magicka damage sets will do really).

Or if you are tank wear selfish sets, something like bahara curse leeching plate and just taunt boss, sets will give enough survivability for even most non dlc vet hard modes. (you can complete leeching plate without running the dlc dungeon once, Just buy tons of keys and open the chest in the begining of the dungeon).

As healer... A bit more problematic, some people try to die.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 That last line.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I like it! That would be perfect for me, as my ping is so high (satellite being the only connection - besides dialup - available to me here) that doing group content would be asking people to put up with a group member who is totally ineffective.

You will be surprised how bad dds are in dungeons sometimes. Just slot 4 aoe dots, recast all 4 every 10 seconds, and you deal more damage than average dd in normal. (In proper gear probably though, any 2 magicka damage sets will do really).

Or if you are tank wear selfish sets, something like bahara curse leeching plate and just taunt boss, sets will give enough survivability for even most non dlc vet hard modes. (you can complete leeching plate without running the dlc dungeon once, Just buy tons of keys and open the chest in the begining of the dungeon).

As healer... A bit more problematic, some people try to die.

Didn't see your reply until just now - I don't play my mains as magicka, they're all stamina. I have never had much use for magicka in TES games. And I don't play tanks or healers ever. I wanted to play a stealth archer in ESO like I had in Skyrim - nope.... so my mains are DW stam wardens....

• Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Then there should also be no enemies or armour damage...
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.