The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A CLEAR STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO PLAYING ESO IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

• marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ty
  • Laerion
    Laerion
    Thanks for sharing this. Useful for a new player like me!
  • Fares_B
    Fares_B
    Great job really. I haven’t seen anything detailed or clear on the internet as much as this.
    Question though, where does Markarth fit in the storyline? DoI play it first or the Greymoor and Western Skyrim first?
  • Whutharth
    Whutharth
    Soul Shriven
    Super. Very handy guide.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fares_B wrote: »
    Great job really. I haven’t seen anything detailed or clear on the internet as much as this.
    Question though, where does Markarth fit in the storyline? DoI play it first or the Greymoor and Western Skyrim first?

Markarth comes after Greymoor/Western Skyrim.

The Dark Heart of Skyrim story arc is:
    Q1 Harrowstorm
    Q2 Greymoor
    Q3 Stonethorn
    Q4 Markarth
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 18, 2020 11:25AM
  • Fares_B
    Fares_B
    Fares_B wrote: »

Markarth comes after Greymoor/Western Skyrim.

The Dark Heart of Skyrim story arc is:
    Q1 Harrowstorm
    Q2 Greymoor
    Q3 Stonethorn
    Q4 Markarth

Thank you very much. :)
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    I've updated the guide with
    • Stonethorn
    • Markarth

My apologies for taking so long.
    Happy 2021 everyone!
    A pinch of this ... a dash of that ... give it a shake-
    - Jester King Emeric
  • Fares_B
    Fares_B
    NeoGriz wrote: »
    • Stonethorn
    • Markarth

My apologies for taking so long.
    Happy 2021 everyone!

Thank you. This is really helpful
  • s_tac
    s_tac
    Soul Shriven
    This is wonderfully made. It will come in handy for a returning player like me who last played before all the major expansions.
  • AstroCat
    AstroCat
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing! Thanks for doing this, as a returning player (played beta and 1st year only!) this is beyond helpful!
  • gambit444
    gambit444
    Soul Shriven
    This is awesome. Something like this should be in the game menu with checklists and such
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    gambit444 wrote: »
    This is awesome. Something like this should be in the game menu with checklists and such

With the coming expansion update, there should be an easier way to start older content.
    There will be a central point with portals to each expansion's storyline.
    - Jester King Emeric
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    • Flames of Ambition
    • Added alternate options to start Shadows of the Hist, Horns of the Reach, Dragon Bones, Wolfhunter, Wrathstone, Scalebreaker, Harrowstorm and Stonethorn questlines
    Edited by NeoGriz on June 15, 2021 1:39AM
    - Jester King Emeric
  • thoraya
    thoraya
    Such a beautiful post! I bet it took quiet some time, thank you for your work :#
    tea
  • Fares_B
    Fares_B
    • Flames of Ambition
    • Added alternate options to start Shadows of the Hist, Horns of the Reach, Dragon Bones, Wolfhunter, Wrathstone, Scalebreaker, Harrowstorm and Stonethorn questlines
    after discovering those were missing.

Thanks for the great job and for following and updating the guide. This is my second story run. I’m following the guide and really understanding and enjoying the story. 😊
  • Kane_Hart
    Kane_Hart
    ✭✭✭
    PC - NA - @Kane_Hart
    Youtube Let's Play Series 2019
    Stamina Sorcerer
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great guide :D

Here is an addon for pc players
    THE QUESTING GUIDE
    • A list of compiled quests where you'll find each major storyline in the game listed in chronological order, (defaulting to order of content release), where you can follow along or even check off your list you may have left uncompleted years ago.
    The Questing Guide Menu Showing the chronological order of quests by zone and a summary of your actions in each quest
    k8mYzMX.png
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    • Prologue quest for Blackwood
    - Jester King Emeric
  • Reli92
    Reli92
    This truly is awesome
    thanks for keeping it up to date as well.
    Discord: discord.gg/rCb4Sve
    Discord Reli92#4100
    ESO name @Reli92
  • TemporalCitizen
    TemporalCitizen
    Soul Shriven
    As a new player, I just wanted to say thank you for this. Loving this game and the community!!
  • Senk
    Senk
    Soul Shriven
    I may have missed something. Are the prologues all included here? Or are they just assumed in each DLC?
  • agen.fi
    agen.fi
    ✭✭✭
    GJ, but is there good lineage by that I mean, chronological story line? Because you get ****** giving you prelude for TCC.
    So Is there clean lineage how to play in correct way now when you are starting to play 10+ char.
  • Sp0onMan
    Sp0onMan
    Soul Shriven
    Wonderful and insightful post. Thank you!
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    • Isle of Balfiera starter options
    • Blackwood zone story
    • How to unlock companions

I have also removed the optional steps to start quests through the collections and crown store. This makes the guide a lot more streamlined and less cluttered. I've made a mention of this at the start of the guide for clarification.
    Edited by NeoGriz on June 15, 2021 2:21AM
    - Jester King Emeric
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    Senk wrote: »
    I may have missed something. Are the prologues all included here? Or are they just assumed in each DLC?

All prologues are included in the guide.
    - Jester King Emeric
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Senk wrote: »

All prologues are included in the guide.

Very cool!
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Twoshed
    Twoshed
    Soul Shriven
    Just started playing again after a while. This is most helpful, thanks mate :smile:
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on guide so far, but a "few" recommendations I would make are:

While in Auridon or their main faction start point, before talking to the "Hooded Figure", let players know they should run over to Mage/Fighter/Undaunted lines and get them triggered....

Also pickup the "crafting" things so once they complete "Tutorials" and have a few items, they aren't wasting them.

They can break them and get the benefits....

JMO though....

Appreciate the guide....

Been using it mostly, I also went and got Dark Brotherhood & Outlaws right away before returning to Khenarthi so I was leveling them while doing it....
    Edited by Ken_Koerperich on June 28, 2021 3:05AM
  • NeoGriz
    NeoGriz
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on guide so far, but a "few" recommendations I would make are:

While in Auridon or their main faction start point, before talking to the "Hooded Figure", let players know they should run over to Mage/Fighter/Undaunted lines and get them triggered....

Also pickup the "crafting" things so once they complete "Tutorials" and have a few items, they aren't wasting them.

They can break them and get the benefits....

JMO though....

Appreciate the guide....

Been using it mostly, I also went and got Dark Brotherhood & Outlaws right away before returning to Khenarthi so I was leveling them while doing it....

Hey Ken, thanks for your suggestions!

I will include the Undaunted in the guide soon. Fighters guild and Mages guild are already included in the guide.
    Since this guide is focused on doing the content in chronological order, I will keep Fighters and Mages guild afer doing the Coldharbour introductory quest. This because that's the first thing you did in the base game - I will include the Undaunted in that section also.

I will not include crafting in this guide. This guide is specifically focused on story content.
    I do appreciate the suggestion, but crafting is a whole other beast of a topic that's better covered in other excellent guides available.

Concerning leveling the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild; I'd also like to keep them at the section where they are in the guide. For chronological reasons and because after completing them, there's plenty of content left to level those guilds along the way.
    Edited by NeoGriz on July 7, 2021 4:46PM
    - Jester King Emeric
  • HiveMind3006
    HiveMind3006
    ✭✭✭
    Superb guide. Helped me a lot and pass over the link to any noobs who ask. TYVM.
    Cragsear: Brit: DK: Tank/DPS-Mag (Armoury). Craganor: High Elf: Ward: Tank/Heals(Armoury). Cragriel: High Elf: Templar: Heals. Cragheal: Brit: Templar: Heals/DPS-Stam (Armoury). Cragrot Mortium: Imperial: Necro: Tank/DPS-Stam (Armoury)
    Khraga-Dhee: Khajiit: Nightblade: Heals/DPS/-Stam/Tealeaf\Assassin (Armoury). Khrag-Mund: Orc: DK: Tank.
    Dances With Sabe: Argonian: Sorc: Heals/DPS-Mag (Armoury).

*Esoteric Order Of Mayhem*