Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What lore reasons made you fall in love with your main's race?

Hysorn
Hysorn
✭✭
I am almost hitting level 50 for the first time, however, I find myself not quite enjoying my Imperial, and I have been looking to race change him, as I do have a race and name change tokens available, yet I can't really decide. I love the Dunmer lore but I honestly never really played one seriously in any Elder Scrolls aside from Morrowind, they always looked like "misfits" in any region that isn't their homeland. Likewise, I find myself debating if I should maybe go Altmer, that although I am not a huge fan of many aspects of their culture, I always found them a fascinating race nonetheless.

So, I thought that it could help by hearing out general opinions that made you fall in love with your character's race.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit is my mains race. I love the lore of the moons and how they affect the khajiit. I love the nomadic Baandari and the stealing, Rahjin etc. I love their fondness for moon sugar. The whole of Elsweyr is divine as is Reapers March and their furnishing style is beautiful.

I always loved to sneak so in the original Morrowind had Khajiit characters because they seemed the best fit to the type of thieving and sneaky character I wanted.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit is my mains race. I love the lore of the moons and how they affect the khajiit. I love the nomadic Baandari and the stealing, Rahjin etc. I love their fondness for moon sugar. The whole of Elsweyr is divine as is Reapers March and their furnishing style is beautiful.

I always loved to sneak so in the original Morrowind had Khajiit characters because they seemed the best fit to the type of thieving and sneaky character I wanted.

Same. Khajiit has been my favorite since Daggerfall I believe. Been a long time.

Their lore is amazing, which you would never figure out just by looking at them. Martial arts, Dark spirit/daedra Dro Mathra, moon connection, fur stocks, literal weapons like knives for claws, tails, night vision. What's not to like?

The Elsweyr chapter was just perfect for me. That's the highest point eso was for me. Finally getting to see the homeland, dragons, furstocks, and dragons in my homeland. Also got to see if my family was safe in Riverhold.

This one was pleased!
    Edited by Ryuvain on May 14, 2021 6:42AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • Savince
    Savince
    I mained long time with Altmer sorcerer. I am fan of DragonLance from AD&D. DragonLance had this fantstic wizard called Fizban. I have always loved him. Goofy, professonal, bit dementic. Juts like me. And who else would fit as sorcerer other than elves, like Altmer.

However I grew out of him. Mainly because I made some stupid decisions with his skills which eventually made it hard to maintain and play. I fixed that yesterday. I have done most of content as Khajiit. I wanted to dig into assassinations and stealing. Khajiit is perfect for that, lorewise. My khajiit is also a healer. So the cat is a healing assassin. Weird combo mayhaps.

Third character I have is redguard necromancer. Haven't leveled into 50 yet but wanted to try necromancing. Last character I might do is human templar or imperial. For the respect of Sturmblade from, you guessed it, DragonLance.

Altmer and Khajiit are my go to races.
  • EmperorRemanIV
    EmperorRemanIV
    ✭✭✭
    I love studying history in real life and I also love studying the lore of the Elder Scrolls series. The Imperial race being my favorite is obvious: not only is inspired in the Roman Empire but also they are the race of Cyrodiil which, basically, in an overall perspective, is the focus point of everything that ever happened in Tamriel. I like the lore of the other human races like nords and bretons, but imperials are the best to me. After all, i'm a Former Emperor of Cyrodiil, I think it's one of my duties to love the race of the country I ruled XD
    His Imperial Majesty, Reman IV, Emperor of Cyrodiil, Sunspire Saint, Baron/Thane of Falkreath, Solitude and Morthal, Lord of the Daggerfall Covenant, Ophidian Overlord of Sanctum Ophidia, Councilor of the Ebonheart Pact, General of the Covenant Army, Clan Father, Guardian of the Reach, Elsweyr, Galen and owner of Fort Redwater and Fort Linchal.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lore reason for liking my main's race? Race Supremacy I guess. Now, can you guess what my race is? =P
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kikke wrote: »
    Lore reason for liking my main's race? Race Supremacy I guess. Now, can you guess what my race is? =P

1ywzzj.jpg
    Edited by Ryuvain on May 15, 2021 3:36AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    I love studying history in real life and I also love studying the lore of the Elder Scrolls series. The Imperial race being my favorite is obvious: not only is inspired in the Roman Empire but also they are the race of Cyrodiil which, basically, in an overall perspective, is the focus point of everything that ever happened in Tamriel. I like the lore of the other human races like nords and bretons, but imperials are the best to me. After all, i'm a Former Emperor of Cyrodiil, I think it's one of my duties to love the race of the country I ruled XD

Exactly this, on my end.

When I was a noob to Elder Scrolls games, I loved the Roman aesthetic of the Imperials. But the more I got into Imperial lore, the more I liked it. I love their focus on religion which in some areas borders on the fanatical. I love their aesthetic, their outfits and buildings (especially in Anvil and the Imperial City). Perhaps most of all I love their rich history, which starts with a slave revolt but ends up involving Dragonborn, Akaviri, Daedra-loving barbarians from the Reach (in fact the Longhouse Emperors were a really nice twist. My current main is half-Imperial half Reachfolk because of it) and of course the general rise and fall of Empires - a fascinating story of rise and decline that ebbs and flows throughout the ages. I love... all of it, really.
  • Nazekeen
    Nazekeen
    ✭✭✭
    I've played ever since MorrowinD came out and I started as a Dark Elf, because it made sense, but I grew to love the Khajiit. Ever since then, I've played every Elder Scrolls game as a Khajiit, and so 7 our of my 8 ESO characters are Khajiit. (NB thief/assasin/mat farmer, DK tank, sorc (dd main), magplar (solo toon), 2 healplars (1 pve 1 pvp), and warden heal)
    I enjoy their generally laid back spirit and optimistic outlook on life. I enjoy the way they talk, so much so that I use the Khajiit speak addon. I enjoy their stories and quests, their lore, their architecture and everything about them.

Needless to say, my "home base" is in Anequina, where I do my crafting, shopping and zone dailies.
      Crazy Khajiit Lady
    • Nazekeen Khajiit NB: 9 trait crafter, farmer, housing enthousiast, built for speed, not damage
    • Addhiranirr Khajiit DK: tanking for fun only, no serious business
    • Ayliza Bloodmoon Khajiit Pet Sorc: Main character, dd
    • S'Raani Khajiit Healplar: Main healer
    • Rabynna Khajiit Magplar: solitary cat, likes quests
    • Aqir di Kha'Jay Khajiit Plar: experimental dd/solo build
    • Maiq the Healer Khajiit Warden healer: Only male character
    • Yenithka Rishajiit Khajiit Sorc Healer: Still learning
    • Qari Morna Khajiit Magcro: Working on learning DoT rotation
    • Jajofa Zatayer Khajiit Necro Healer/offDD: Catalyst/Saxhleel
    • Zissqara Khajiit Sorc: low level, going to be a tank
    • Zira Hejta Khajiit Arcanist: low level, going to be a dd
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Find a new hill, become a king"

-an old joke among the Bretons
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first it was the stats and their short height compared to the other races, but then the more about their lore I learned the more I fell in love with the Bretons. Something about playing a human with elven blood with great arcane power yet is also resistant to it just feels great. Add in their lore with the Direnni, their adventurous culture, and the region that they live and it just resonates with me better.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Argonians are my favourite race, and have been my go-to race in most of the Elder Scrolls titles I've played. There's several reasons for this, one of the initial ones simply being that I love reptiles. As I got more and more into the lore overtime, their spot as my #1 favourite race was solidified. Argonians are really cool, as well as badass, and while they may lack the grand histories of the Imperials, Nords or Dunmer, their traits make up for that. The only other race that is even remotely as "interesting" when it comes "what they are", are the Khajiit, for reasons mentioned above. Their culture and lifestyles are also very interesting and feel truly alien when compared to the other races of Tamriel.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • JoDiMageio
    JoDiMageio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have a favourite race, although I am fond of Nords as my introduction to TES was Skyrim, and I played as a Nord which was just... epic for a newbie. Entering Sovngarde, fighting with long gone heroes... it was a defining moment as someone who had not really played games before.

I do however refuse to play an Altmer because of their lore. (Obviously my first meeting with them were the Thalmor in Skyrim, which leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but subsequent research into the lore was... convincing, to say the least).

What made me fall in love with TES is the lore itself. It is dynamic, well-developed, it makes each race distinct and interesting, giving them each unique perspectives of the world around them, it makes the TES universe a living, breathing thing that just really clicked with me and I haven't looked back since.
  • dragonflame
    My first that I chose in the elder scrolls game was a dunmer nightblade in skyrim because they can use both magic and melee. At the time I thought it would be cool to be a goth elf. Then I read into the lore and found out that dunmer has the most interesting lore. The fact that they worship daedra instead of aedra was my favorite thing, because I always found the daedra way more interesting than the aedra because of how they can influence mortals lives and we see them as well. Also I always felt like the dunmer was more reclusive than the other races as well. The fact that they was change from chimer to dunmer was pretty neat, because it change their culture and who they worship until the 3rd era. The other thing that I liked was that the dunmer has a legal assassin guild, which I liked. Though I do like the dark brotherhood than the moral tong.

The second race that is dear to me is the breton although they may seem plain. I found their lore and culture to be quite interesting. The main reason is because I like Arthurian lore and the knights in general. The fact that they are one of the human races that are great with magic made me like them anymore. Breton also use more defensive magic rather than offensive which draw me to them as well. I also like how the elven culture help shape thier religion and culture as well.
    Edited by dragonflame on May 25, 2021 3:29AM
  • dowkkono
    dowkkono
    ✭✭
    I roll with the Redguards. I’ve always been captivated by their lore: ancient Yokuda, sword singers (esp. Frandar Hunding), Ansei & their shehai creation, the Ra Gada, the Ash’abah, Redguard pantheon, the tumultuous relationship with the Forbears vs Crowns & many other aspects.

I love the infrastructure of their warrior culture as hardened, athletic swordsmen from the desert; I also admire Redguards for their blended cultural themes derived from African, Moorish, Middle Eastern & even Japanese influences. I find miscellaneous details like their skin tones, hairstyles, apparel & architecture appealing too. Most of my leisure time is spent traversing through the Alik’r desert or at my primary residence in Stros M’Kai.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperials are (objectively boring, but also) my favorite race. I’d say my favorite pieces of lore regarding them are Uriel V’s failed invasion to Akavir, and the Alessian Slave rebellion with all the Pelinal stories.

High elves (are also an objectively boring choice, but) are my second favorite, and I generally enjoy the Man/Mer schism stuff, so these two being my favorite fits perfectly.

I’m fascinated by Tower lore, so that also helps.
  • Kredo
    Kredo
    ✭✭✭
    Daukkono wrote: »
    I roll with the Redguards. I’ve always been captivated by their lore: ancient Yokuda, sword singers (esp. Frandar Hunding), Ansei & their shehai creation, the Ra Gada, the Ash’abah, Redguard pantheon, the tumultuous relationship with the Forbears vs Crowns & many other aspects.

I love the infrastructure of their warrior culture as hardened, athletic swordsmen from the desert; I also admire Redguards for their blended cultural themes derived from African, Moorish, Middle Eastern & even Japanese influences. I find miscellaneous details like their skin tones, hairstyles, apparel & architecture appealing too. Most of my leisure time is spent traversing through the Alik’r desert or at my primary residence in Stros M’Kai.

And most importantly their curved swords
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Same! It was the Ansei's Walkabout that really sold me on them though - "In later centuries, mastery of the Way was achieved upon completing the Walkabout—a wilderness trek emulating the life of Frandar Hunding, where singers would wander the countryside defeating monsters and aiding the citizenry in the name of virtue. The Walkabout could take years to complete and some singers didn't survive the trials."

An Ansei-in-training, completing an epic Walkabout outside of Hammerfell, made for such a great setup for open world adventuring in Morrowind, and also made perfect sense for Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO when they released too. I've stuck with them as my main's for that reason, since it compliments my playstyle so well (I don't pursue main quests in TES games, but write my own adventures as they emerge organically).
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperials are my favourite. In TES Imperials are the often-beleaguered holders of the centre of the world. The lore makes them very credible as world saving heroes. For RP purposes I find it easy to believe the Prophet's Vestige, or the "Chosen One" of the Keywright's Gallery would be an Imperial. They seem like the natural choice to me. And when writing their backstory I can stick to heroics, without having to explain why they are...

not just a self-absorbed provincial living on the periphery of the world
    not a cannibal
    not complicit in slavery
    not a backward-looking supremacist
    not a fatalistic swamp dweller
    not a thrall of the Daedra or the Hist
    not so evil and accursed that they are heading for the Red Year with rest of their kind
    PC EU
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played Skyrim as my first TES game, and was a male Bosmer. I like the how the wood elves are the stealthy ranger bowmen types and I like their ability to be resistant/immune to poisons. In this game I went with something familiar to my experience in that game and made a Bosmer nightblalde, but a female instead of a male to change it up.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

This was the best way to describe the love for Redguards! The blended cultural themes really drew me in. My first playthrough in every TES game is a Redguard and I don't see that changing.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is a boring Imperial. I just like the idea of an Imperial wanderer leaving his war torn home to explore the world.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DP99 wrote: »
    I played Skyrim as my first TES game, and was a male Bosmer. I like the how the wood elves are the stealthy ranger bowmen types and I like their ability to be resistant/immune to poisons. In this game I went with something familiar to my experience in that game and made a Bosmer nightblalde, but a female instead of a male to change it up.

Were. Were the stealthy ranger bowmen types. Now Bosmer are caravan guards.

It's garbage.

This game has no Bosmer in it now. Just Bosmer shaped ... things.

But, yeah, the reasons you cite are why I main'ed a Bosmer in Morrowwind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1st Elder Scrolls game I have ever played was TES III Morrowind. I remember being positively shocked when I saw that I can play as a humanoid cat or lizard. No other game had something like this. Sure there were old "dungeon crawlers" games like might and magic or wizadry, but in those games races were just a flat 2d image (character portrait). But TES III had an actual 3d model. It was something new, a breath of fresh air and it became a trademark of the series. Other cRPG games had "dudes" and sometimes elfs or dwarfs as playable race. TES game had this unique feature.

So, during my 1st playthrough I "mained" Argonian and since then I most play as Argonian in all TES games (sometimes Khajiit that is my 2nd favourite race). ESO is really 1st game in which we can see a lot of Argonian lore & their homeland. And the more mysteries are uncovered regarding Argonian lore - the more I like them :smiley:

^ Sure, it is not the same attention to detail as Khajiits got in Elsweyr chapter, but at least it is something. Up to this day, Murkmire imho had the best main story arc and is probably the most unique zone and probably one of the prettiest :blush:
    ...And in case of Argonians - there are a lot of "empty spots" on the map left.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh I was more in Nord and Khajiit, but the more I learn about Argonian, the more I like them.
    With BW I've started to be very curious about these old " aztec temple" (Xanmeer) that have been build in the past and for some reason the actual argonian don't know that much about these and don't see the point to build them, made me very curious !
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• dragonmage0313
    Queen Ayrenn... that is all.
  • Hlaaluna
    Hlaaluna
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer, was not my first race. I started off with an Altmer, thinking pretty & snooty-noble, but soon got bored. I then created a Bosmer, thinking animal loving and feral but got bored with that as well.

When the Necromancer was released I decided she would have to be Dunmer, and I just love everything about the Dunmer race now. I just can't imagine playing anything else. I find their lore to be very deep and complex. I love that they are just as likely to slit your throat as save your hide, depending upon what they have to gain or lose.

They are not your stereotypical character, they are just way more complicated than anything else. At least that is how I feel about them. :)
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer, what got my eye first is the alien aesthetics of their culture and homeland, it's too cool imo.

But what I like the most about them is their view of life and religion. Being descendants of the Altmer, they inherited an "Anuic" approach to life, but they have evolved into a more "Padomaic" cosmovision imo, much more similar the Atmoran races which embrace existence and life.

The Dunmer way or "Psijic Endeavor" is to embrace the hindrances of existence and overcome the tests that life throws at you. Instead of being all whinny about being limited by a mortal existence, like the Altmer do. (Altmer think of themselves as godly and think they've been tricked into existing as weak, mortal beings by Lorkhan/Shor.)
  • WarriorNinja9
    WarriorNinja9
    ✭✭
    Mead
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like cats.

I learned the Khajiit lore later.
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on October 8, 2021 12:53PM
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Dinosaurs and Reptiles

I think you can all see where this is going