The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

6 months is way too long

• jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ksbrugh wrote: »
    6 months, if once per day you train your horse.
    I understand zos wanting to sell riding lessons in their crown store.

You know that long before there were "cash shops" and the ability to skip gameplay via $, MMOs were full of endless timesinks?

Why does everyone say that the only point of mount training is to sell riding lessons? It's obviously Just Another MMO Timesink. Something to do every day that'll take a long time to finish. (Just like the new CP cap - this whole "omg, how am i supposed to grind these out in a couple weeks?!?!" You're not.)

Yes, I have leveled mounts on all my characters. No, I've never bought a riding lesson (or XP scrolls, or skill lines, or any of the other "I want to pay to not play the game" stuff). Personally, I'm always amazed when people say they bought the riding lessons, since they seem like one of the biggest wastes of $ in the entire store. Why would anyone ever spend crowns on them?

People don't want the older times inks, they want to rush then complain they have nothing to do. It's like that with every game that gets released sadly. Mmos use to be about the community now most if not all are solo friendly.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • ksbrugh
    ksbrugh
    ✭✭✭✭
    6 months, if once per day you train your horse.
    I understand zos wanting to sell riding lessons in their crown store.

You know that long before there were "cash shops" and the ability to skip gameplay via $, MMOs were full of endless timesinks?

Why does everyone say that the only point of mount training is to sell riding lessons? It's obviously Just Another MMO Timesink. Something to do every day that'll take a long time to finish. (Just like the new CP cap - this whole "omg, how am i supposed to grind these out in a couple weeks?!?!" You're not.)

Yes, I have leveled mounts on all my characters. No, I've never bought a riding lesson (or XP scrolls, or skill lines, or any of the other "I want to pay to not play the game" stuff). Personally, I'm always amazed when people say they bought the riding lessons, since they seem like one of the biggest wastes of $ in the entire store. Why would anyone ever spend crowns on them?

I never said I paid money for riding lessons. So I'm not sure what you meant by your statement.
    I just said I understand why they sell them.
    Nothing wrong with certain timesync'$ in a mmo. I'm just saying with every timesync ESO has in its MMO there are ways to negate it with in-game gold. I guess you could say being able to purchase scrolls that decrease the time investment you spend on any skill or ability is a reward to the player that has spent the time and the effort to actually play the game to acquire the sufficient gold amount purchase these scrolls.
    Maybe zos should implement a more friendlier new player aspect to the horse riding as well as to the crafting and skill gain from scrolls it has already adopted.
    I'm not suggesting instant gratitude here just an ease up on the 6 month TIME Grand it takes now. Yes in the past there were no riding lessons in the crown store so zos offered crown purchase of writing lessons. Now that time has expired and moved forward a slightly newer generation has climbed aboard the ESO train. And yes sorry to say it is a generation, a newer generation of instant gratitude. To think you can reflect back on older versions of eso and say well this is the way it's been or this is the way it has always been, will work on newer generations or even veteran players with new games coming out drawing the attention of the player base away. Then I would have to say that you're slightly delusional or at least too optimistic in the ability of human nature to see the change may not always be for the worst it can sometimes be for the better. And imo this could be a significant change to newer players even veteran players in creating new characters, example buying new character slots which I refuse to do just because of Mount training. And I'm sure I'm not the only one, yes there are people that will buy the new character slot no matter what but they will also buy character slot whether this change happens or not but I won't and a lot of other people will not either. Believe it or not that is big money on the line. Crowns cost dinero's.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like they'd sell more horses if people went faster from the start. The few people I've convinced to play this game all gave up on horses because they walked faster. I'm not sure the exact number but it feels like you walk faster than your horse until it's 30 or 40. Now you mean to tell me people should be waiting 30+ days to feel like the $40 horse they just bought is actually worth something?

Honestly, I don't care much at this point because my favorite toons are leveled, but for the game itself, it'd be better if they fixed this. I don't see the value this system adds.
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Q: Does the incorporation of a timer improve the gameplay experience for the customer?

A1-Yes: The timer is designed to improve gameplay for the customer. Such timers are typically part of more complex gameplay systems or are a core component of the game. Timers are variously accelerated or slowed based on genre appropriate gameplay mechanisms, not to simply inconvenience the player. For example, in some strategy games, player investments in technology allow for faster timer for new discoveries.

A2-No: The timer is designed not to improve the game for the customer, but for profit motive. More specifically, timers manipulate customers into daily logins, which is an essential part of the hook->habit->hobby/addiction that helps ensure continuous cash shop exposure in a games-as-service title. At times, paid solutions are offered to speed up timers to generate additional revenue (also known as "solution selling" - create problem to charge for solution).

man this kills my soul. Corporations can get away with intentionally creating problems for gamers and then sell them a solution for extra money. It's so freaking slimy. It's crazy how greedy people are. Instead of trying to get more money by having a better product, they make the product just good enough to get people hooked, and then find strange psychological strategies to extract as much money as possible from those addicted people.
  • FaylenSol
    FaylenSol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get the Continuous Attack perk from the Assault skill line.

You can get the skill points and Alliance Points needed for it by just doing the tutorial mission in Cyrodil. No need to even see another player unless they are on your side doing the same tutorial.

It gives you a free 30% speed boost toy your mount at all time. It is noticeable and helps offset the slow speed of your mount on a new character.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just telling you I'm an ESO day one player not an ESO forum day one commenter. I started to comment recently because I've seen things and I hear things from playing all the time that I have played. Mount speed Mount stamina is a bigger concern in the community than you can possibly imagine. I have eight toons with fully maxed Mount stats the old-fashioned way, what I'm suggesting is not benefiting me but it's what I hear from my guild community and from other ESO players in chat. We need a system to be able to turn in writ points and gain a scroll to increase Mount speed and stamina learning by a 50%. A cut in the time at least would be something.

I expect most of us are part of the same community. It is not surprising that a community will have many players with differing opinions. What is important is that we respect each other's opinions which do not mean we must accept them as our own.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    6 months is a ridiculously long time. Some of us don't want to spend our time on a mount simulator that's feels like you're riding an animal on Valium. I have 9 toons. I think I leveled the my first one. To go through that with all the rest was just too damn annoying. I just paid the toll for the turbo jets. Yeah, I'm in a hurry. So what? :/
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't even the 6 months of horse training. Is having to train it again, again and again once more for every new wild patch with a super effective nerf to a class.

What? Does the horse forget how to be a stallion and insta-become a moke/nag/inferior horse?
    Edited by magnusthorek on May 5, 2021 3:40PM
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its made that way on purpose to encourage you to buy upgrades from the crown store
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its made that way on purpose to encourage you to buy upgrades from the crown store

It was that way before the Crown store existed....
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we should be able to train one point in all 3 areas area every day. Then it would only take 2 months to fully train, which is a lot more reasonable.

They want you playing every day, so they can claim a big active player base.

They dont want you maxing efficiently and playing less frequently, because then people talk about how no one is on the game playing.
    Edited by twev on May 2, 2021 2:22AM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't even the 6 months of horse training. Is having to train it again, again and again once more for every new wild patch that with a supper effective nerf to a class.

What? Does the horse forget how to be a stallion and insta-become a moke/nag/inferior horse?

You mean like how I forget how to fish or pickpocket or farm nodes if I move points or tokens around in the green skill tree?
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was that way before the Crown store existed....

Then why hasn’t it been changed?
  • what_the
    what_the
    ✭✭✭
    I have leveled many toons with this system, and I have had zero problems leveling them all to 50 while using it.
    Some I logged on to level my horse stuff (in fact, I'm leveling up 2 more toons for mules) and then logged on to play my main.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »
    imagine if they had something like skyshards, where you could just train up to max level on 1 character and then it unlocked mount training in the crown store for your other characters. Speed, stamina, carrying, would each be unlocked for purchase on other characters once you hit 60 on a single character. Get a new character for say 1500 crowns you can instantly train 60 speed on it, for example.

Not interested.

I am ramping this up again on my last 2 alts, but I have never paid for skyshards and will not.

The only exception to that could be if one character ever got them all in Cyrodill, but I can live without those, so I doubt I would. They are far too expensive to buy.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Horse Feeding?

I ride around on a Dwarven Robot.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If one doesn't want to go into PVP or have an early toon the Adept Rider crafted set is nice. its a standard training set for all of my early toons now.

(2 items) Adds 1487 Armor
    (3 items) Adds 1487 Armor
    (4 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    (5 items) Gain Major Gallop and Major Expedition at all times, increasing your Movement Speed and Mounted Speed by 30%

It seriously helps.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Horse Feeding?

I ride around on a Dwarven Robot.

You still have to feed it!

No idea how that works, but that is what the trainer says!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    Like life, not all things have to be quick. It is fine the way it is.

Unless you are Elf than you have to live quick...

U know what they say life is short...
    Edited by PigofSteel on May 3, 2021 8:06AM
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PigofSteel wrote: »
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    Like life, not all things have to be quick. It is fine the way it is.

Unless you are Elf than you have to live quick...

U know what they say life is short...

Uh...what are you talking about? In ES lore, elves have very long life spans, Altmer and Dunmer can live to be hundreds of years old 😐
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Hellmasker
    Hellmasker
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't think you train the Mount, I think it's more like... you learn to ride better, pack your bags more efficiently and such. If it were just the Mount itself, I would agree it's kinda dumb that you have to do it for every char xD
    Asgar Hellmasker, Silencer of the Dark Brotherhood
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    When eso was new, you had to upgrade each of your mounts individually actually.
    At the time the time spent to upgrade the mounts wasn't a problem.
    Now you can actually obtain ride lessons from daily log in or via crown store. I do not see it as being a big issue here. In fact there is barely any need to maximize your mount other than inventory space. Speed and stamina doesn't matter that much unless you are a pvp fan.