The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Targeting bug with companions (least I hope it's a bug)

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Rapid Regeneration doesn't seem to prioritize companions like it should. I have noticed even if they are severely wounded, it always casts on myself first and requires a second casting. Hopefully this gets fixed, because they die pretty fast and there isn't a whole lot of time to do multiple casting (not to mention the magic it wastes).
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they count as Pets, you have to use AOE non-target healing to get them like Combat Prayer is a cone slam so it heals everything in its path. Otherwise anything that requires an actual target focuses on players first even if you're the only one there to receive.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they count as Pets, you have to use AOE non-target healing to get them like Combat Prayer is a cone slam so it heals everything in its path. Otherwise anything that requires an actual target focuses on players first even if you're the only one there to receive.

I see. What ever the reason, I think they need to change it so you can heal them more effectively. Because it's really annoying that I have to heal myself first (even if I don't need healing) before I can then heal them. So if they want companions to be a feasible alternative to a group, then they need to include them in the smart targeting window so they get priority when they need it. Because combat prayer isn't going to cut it. They take a lot of damage and die very fast and need fast potent healing to live.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 1, 2021 6:28PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

I see. What ever the reason, I think they need to change it so you can heal them more effectively. Because it's really annoying that I have to heal myself first (even if I don't need healing) before I can then heal them. So if they want companions to be a feasible alternative to a group, then they need to include them in the smart targeting window so they get priority when they need it. Because combat prayer isn't going to cut it. They take a lot of damage and die very fast and need fast potent healing to live.

Combat pets take reduced damage from AoE, as a concession to their inability to not stand in red. I feel like this is missing from Companions and should be added. The healing might need to get a look, too. But their incredible squishiness is a huge problem. Even if they change heal targeting, I don't want to spend every fight with more attention on keeping companion alive than killing enemy. A companion can be more of a hindrance than a help in that case.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »

Combat pets take reduced damage from AoE, as a concession to their inability to not stand in red. I feel like this is missing from Companions and should be added. The healing might need to get a look, too. But their incredible squishiness is a huge problem. Even if they change heal targeting, I don't want to spend every fight with more attention on keeping companion alive than killing enemy. A companion can be more of a hindrance than a help in that case.

You aren't kidding.

I haven't had the time to get mine a lot of levels. So it's possible they get better. But they are going to have to get a lot more durable if they are going to be anything other than just a nuisance to try and play with.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, pets suck in pve too. Don't ever bother taking them into a vet solo arena or world boss, they'll die within less than 10 seconds. Clanfear has 15k hp, Tormentor Twilight has 20k hp. Even with Clanfears 30% heal, good luck sustaining that continuously because you're going to be popping that off every 4 seconds.

There was a big problem with pets dying in dungeons/trials years ago, after a lot of suggestions from the community, mainly for them to take no damage and the reluctance from ZOS patch to patch, they finally caved in and called it a day. Fixed right?

Well. They never fixed the inherit problem with them to begin with and now companions are suffering the same fate. I hope the companions give ZOS a wake up call about how AI should receive damage, right now it's way too high for them to be used reasonably unless you're happy killing a few 30k health mobs.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on May 2, 2021 10:28PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit