The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

will companions litter cities with massive amounts of duplicates?

CoronHR
CoronHR
✭✭✭✭✭
i know we can customise them, but still, i fear it's going to be highly immersion-breaking. and i realise immersion is sort of broken anyway, but this stands to make it so much worse
PC - EU - Steam client
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    maybe it'll be like quest companions where if you run into someone else with the same companion they look visually different to you.
    Options
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they will. :lol:
    You'll see countless Mirri and Bastian-copies running around named '[player name]'s Companion'.

There are already the same Assistants running after players, so we've had this issue for years... It will be just worse because you're supposed to have a meaningful story and personal connection with your companions unlike with Assistants, so seeing their copies will be incredibly jarring.
    Options
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never have understood why there wouldn’t be the player option to hide other people’s non combat pets and assistants. I mean besides budget and bad arguments from revenue folks about devaluing CS items. Same applies here.

There is precedent in decreasing spell effects of others in combat, which had to be done when visibility in trials and such became awful.

Esse quam videri.
    Options
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's why we need more customization options :)
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
    Options
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoronHR wrote: »
    i know we can customise them, but still, i fear it's going to be highly immersion-breaking. and i realise immersion is sort of broken anyway, but this stands to make it so much worse

What you say might be right. But my companion is better than your companion. :*
    Options
  • Daraklus
    Daraklus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best way to solve this "Imyershin break" would be to allow the Companions to wear helmets.

At least that way you can say that it's some random nameless companion following the other player around, rather than your current companion's twin brother/sister.
    Options
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭

I don't know. On the one hand, yes, I agree, it would be nice. On the other hand .... it would be even harder to tell who is a player and who a companion. Unless you have the names visible all the time.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is had enough they will not let us at least change their hairstyles.
    Options
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    A whole lot of people are not even buying chapters unless they are discounted. Then there is a lot of players not interested in companions in the slightest, as overland is already easy, you can't use them in PvP and they do not provide anything significant in any group content. So, I'd say no, it won't be a huge problem. There will be A LOT of them in the first few weeks and then it'll settle down, leaving companions mostly to solo players. Like assistants are not a problem, people using them for their functionality, I rarely see them running after players. Like mass killing of NPC are not a problem as people quickly grew tired of it. Players will try them out, get bored with them and then there will very few of them. I, personally, am interested in them but I won't be using them all the time.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is had enough they will not let us at least change their hairstyles.
    I knew they could not use helmets, but having hairstyle fixed to will make them more looking the same.

Now this is not much new, regarding the bankers. Like in an trial and some ask for the merchant and its 6 of them around.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duellists will love people having companions out, it'll double their audience at wayshrines :wink: !

If it's no worse than pets or assistants it won't bother me, those things never have. Besides, it'll be a seven day wonder.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sengra wrote: »

I don't know. On the one hand, yes, I agree, it would be nice. On the other hand .... it would be even harder to tell who is a player and who a companion. Unless you have the names visible all the time.

On that note I hope companions other than your own don't have nameplates. Or if they do I hope companions have their own setting to switch off their specific nameplate.

No reason to litter the field with pointless clone nameplates.

Same with bankers/merchant followers. I wish they weren't lumped in with NPCs nameplates in settings.
    Options
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i suggested to zos to include the option to buy costumes for merchants and bankers but they're not hopping on that guaranteed crown sale just yet
    PC - EU - Steam client
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mother's Sorrow Staves for sale" Hayaia's cry cuts through the bustle of the Mournhold Market. It's packed with shoppers, bankers, merchants, and crafters running to and from the writ turn-in areas. A scamp runs underfoot, flinging mud balls everywhere. At least, Varanis Arano hopes it's mud.

Razgugul shakes his head and beckons her over to his stall. "A tank like you needs a set of Plague Doctor armor."

"I've already got one, thanks. I'm looking at gear for Mirri. I should ask her what she likes."

She pauses. Five Mirri, loitering around the other vendor stalls, look back at her, equally expressionless.

"Never mind."

Five minutes later, she's made her purchases. "Mirri, time to go! I had this shipped to Bal Foyen so we need to pick up the delivery."

Three Mirri look back at her. One of them mutters, "I'm not your Mirri," before trotting off after some Nord.

There are two more Mirri standing around the wayshrine, taking bets on two duelist showing off for the crowd. Three more appear to be plotting in a corner near the alchemy shop. And there's an abundance of red-haired Imperial mages coming in and out of the City Hall. They all look past her with the blank look of polite non-recognition.

Finally, Varanis thinks to check the Fighters Guild. Mirri - her Mirri - looks up from where she's been comparing notes with Cardea Gallia. "Hey, Varanis! Is it time to go?"

"Do you know how long I've been looking for you?!"
    Options
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to pretend they're like all the different Morty's from Rick and Morty

maxresdefault-22.jpg
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mother's Sorrow Staves for sale" Hayaia's cry cuts through the bustle of the Mournhold Market. It's packed with shoppers, bankers, merchants, and crafters running to and from the writ turn-in areas. A scamp runs underfoot, flinging mud balls everywhere. At least, Varanis Arano hopes it's mud.

Razgugul shakes his head and beckons her over to his stall. "A tank like you needs a set of Plague Doctor armor."

"I've already got one, thanks. I'm looking at gear for Mirri. I should ask her what she likes."

She pauses. Five Mirri, loitering around the other vendor stalls, look back at her, equally expressionless.

"Never mind."

Five minutes later, she's made her purchases. "Mirri, time to go! I had this shipped to Bal Foyen so we need to pick up the delivery."

Three Mirri look back at her. One of them mutters, "I'm not your Mirri," before trotting off after some Nord.

There are two more Mirri standing around the wayshrine, taking bets on two duelist showing off for the crowd. Three more appear to be plotting in a corner near the alchemy shop. And there's an abundance of red-haired Imperial mages coming in and out of the City Hall. They all look past her with the blank look of polite non-recognition.

Finally, Varanis thinks to check the Fighters Guild. Mirri - her Mirri - looks up from where she's been comparing notes with Cardea Gallia. "Hey, Varanis! Is it time to go?"

Thanks Varanis! Best laugh in days!
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't plan to take my companion everywhere I go, especially to town. I will only bring them along for things I may want help with, like World Bosses or dungeons.
    PCNA
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"Never mind."

I wish that I could give this more than a single 'Awesome!'
    Options
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to wait and see how I feel about companions. I pre-ordered Blackwoods CE during the limited time exclusive pet offer, but I refuse to try the PTS because I really want to experience it on June 1st and not have to redo what ever I did to get the companion geared and leveled. But after hearing about the 10k dps, I feel a bit bummed. I understand that they did not want companions to replace players and I fully agree with that. Followers replaced a lot of players in EverQuest and that is kind of a shame.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"Never mind."

Now we are the Stuga? This truly is the darkest timeline.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think cities will be inundated with them. I think it's funny they speak of performance but now we have more character models for the server to play with. I guess the good thing is it will make cities look more busy? idk XD
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoronHR wrote: »

These are probably just the first two companions of many more to come. So the problem of duplicates will lessen over time.

But I don't know why they didn't let companions show head armor. It's an odd decision.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2021 7:54PM
    Options
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wouldnt it be nice if the pet sorcs had to choose whether to have their flying rat out OR there companion?

But really we just need a toggle option to hide other players combat pets, non combat pets, companions and assistants when we aren't in combat with them.
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

But I don't know why they didn't let companions show head armor. It's an odd decision.

Well, didn't they literally say that they did it because they wanted them to be Specific Identifiable Characters, rather than faceless helmeted drones?

As for the crowds of identical companions, we'll have to see what outfits/costumes does for the situation. (or can we only put costumes?)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on May 2, 2021 8:01PM
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

Well, didn't they literally say that they did it because they wanted them to be Specific Identifiable Characters, rather than faceless helmeted drones?

Yes, specific, individual and identifiable characters that we now meet by the hundreds on every corner... :D

Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daraklus wrote: »
    Best way to solve this "Imyershin break" would be to allow the Companions to wear helmets.

At least that way you can say that it's some random nameless companion following the other player around, rather than your current companion's twin brother/sister.

There is already a solve for this problem. Just do the same thing they do with quest companions.

Whenever you run into a player who has the same quest companions they look visually different to you just as your companion looks different to them.

They do this all the time with quests - I think they could do the same with "Companions"
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

There is already a solve for this problem. Just do the same thing they do with quest companions.

Whenever you run into a player who has the same quest companions they look visually different to you just as your companion looks different to them.

They do this all the time with quests - I think they could do the same with "Companions"

Except that the quest companions also look the same: you just get a generic Solitude guard instead of Lyris Titanborn.

We usually overlook the "sameness" of those generic quest companions following other people around because we're questing and it's only for a relatively short time in a small area. It's not like we typically see clusters of those generic quest NPCs in crafting centers, banks, the Undaunted pavilions. If we did, you'd wind up with the same problem as Bastian and Mirri - seeing the same person copied over and over.

We DO see lots of merchants and bankers in those areas, but again, it's not the best comparison. Mirri and Bastian are intended to be active followers during general play, gaining or losing rapport based on normal gameplay, rather than just out for limited interactions like the Crown store banker and merchant. So we'll be seeing a lot of Mirri and Bastian in pretty much every context where players are active: questing, crafting, banking, and waiting around for the queue to pop.

Now, I'm sure we will eventually learn to "tune out" the extra Mirri and Bastian. I've long since hit that point with Tythis Andromo the Banker. On the other hand, Tythis wasn't supposed to be a unique Companion NPC with whom I can build a working relationship with. And so ZOS seems to have missed the mark with their marketing: our companions have a unique relationship with our characters, while we also see their faces repeated on every companion following everyone else. Nor is it immersive to see other generic NPCs repeated over and over again at the volume and places we're likely to see the Companions.

An easy solution would be to enable helmets and other face coverings so that players who want to look at something other than the same face can do so, and it has the added benefit of having less of the same faces showing to everyone else.
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 2, 2021 9:47PM
    Options
  • FaylenSol
    FaylenSol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully we can use Outfit Stations to customize their appearance with whatever styles we've unlocked. So it won't be that bad.

I do wish we could use all the other cosmetics (makeup, beard, adornments, etc.)

The fact that I can't give them a hat that I've unlocked makes me sad.
    Options
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to leave feedback then on the ptr post on companions wanting that
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

Except that the quest companions also look the same: you just get a generic Solitude guard instead of Lyris Titanborn.

I still think that is an improvement over seeing the exact same face everywhere
    Options