The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gamepad mode with mouse & keyboard

GRXRG
GRXRG
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, maybe this will be a weird question for lot of you.

So I am a PC user, but I love the gamepad console Ui, but I do use mouse & keyboard to play.

Now, everything works perfectly activating gamepad mode, except dodge roll, it only roll dodge backwards, doesn't matter which directional keys I am pressing.

Anyone knows how to fix this? The rest of skills and block, interrupt, works perfectly, only dodge roll seems bugged.

Again I AM NOT USING a controller, but mouse & keyboard with gamepad ui on.

If this is impossible to fix, is there an addon that reproduce consoles Ui?

Thanks.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a dodge roll keybind? Or are you using the double-tap directional roll?
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malkiv wrote: »
    Do you have a dodge roll keybind? Or are you using the double-tap directional roll?

I have the roll dodged keybinded to a single key, double-tap is trash for pvp since i am a pvp main and it doesn't work in gamepad mode with mouse and keyboard.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I have it as a keybind, too. Let me see if I get the same results.

So I just logged in, switched to gamepad mode, and I can confirm that I am also only able to dodge roll backwards with a dedicated keybind.

What part of the UI do you like with gamepad mode? Is it like the inventory screen and stuff?
    Edited by Malkiv on April 30, 2021 7:49PM
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭

You are a Pc user right?

Go into settings- gameplay- gamepad mode on.

You see you can still use WASD to move, spacebar to jump, MOUSE2 to block etc. Everyhting works right.

But then if you press roll dodge plus any key like W to dodge forward, it instead dodge backwards all the times.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭

So I just logged in, switched to gamepad mode, and I can confirm that I am also only able to dodge roll backwards with a dedicated keybind.

What part of the UI do you like with gamepad mode? Is it like the inventory screen and stuff?

I like the attributes and ability bar actually, when skills are pressed they pop up for a little second showing you they are pressed, it is smooth.

Instead in the normal keyboard ui the ability skills are static.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »

You are a Pc user right?

Go into settings- gameplay- gamepad mode on.

You see you can still use WASD to move, spacebar to jump, MOUSE2 to block etc. Everyhting works right.

But then if you press roll dodge plus any key like W to dodge forward, it instead dodge backwards all the times.

After trying it out myself and getting the same results, I did some Google Fu, and learned that it's a known issue. There might not be a fix for the roll dodge bug. You might find some UI addons you like, but I didn't see anything that replicated the menus of the gamepad mode, unfortunately. PerfectPixel and the like help to really clean up the UI and give it a very modern aesthetic, though.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »

I like the attributes and ability bar actually, when skills are pressed they pop up for a little second showing you they are pressed, it is smooth.

Instead in the normal keyboard ui the ability skills are static.

Oh, Try something like Better UI/Bandits UI with ActionDurationReminder.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In gamepad mode the game is expecting input from the Joystick.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    In gamepad mode the game is expecting input from the Joystick.

True, but everyhting works perfectly fine, dunno why only dodge roll is messed up like that.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolling on the controller is much harder than it seems. You have to push block, then point in the direction you want to roll, then push (jump button). How many times I rolled in opposite direction even after I knew what to do was terrible. It is way worse than double tapping wasd. Actually everything on the controller is slower than KB/M but I still find it easier to use overall.

The most annoying thing is how they have Jump A and interact as the SAME button. Even when I keybind 'interact' to a different button, it does NOT remove from Jump A. I can't tell you how many times I tried to jump and open a firefly window or try to jump on a box but open container and now with companions you can't get close to them if you want to jump.

It is insane ZOS PLEASE MAKE INTERACT B, C, D or even block trigger, literally anything but JUMP. Or make the keybind override it.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merforum wrote: »
    The most annoying thing is how they have Jump A and interact as the SAME button. Even when I keybind 'interact' to a different button, it does NOT remove from Jump A. I can't tell you how many times I tried to jump and open a firefly window or try to jump on a box but open container and now with companions you can't get close to them if you want to jump.

It is insane ZOS PLEASE MAKE INTERACT B, C, D or even block trigger, literally anything but JUMP. Or make the keybind override it.

First from the game menu, Gameplay, you need to select Template B so that Jump is no longer X/A now you won't jump when trying to interact with something. Then you can do whatever in your key bindings to change everything else. I have my setup like this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7236485#Comment_7236485
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First from the game menu, Gameplay, you need to select Template B so that Jump is no longer X/A now you won't jump when trying to interact with something. Then you can do whatever in your key bindings to change everything else. I have my setup like this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7236485#Comment_7236485

Thanks for info but I couldn't find a 'template B' and there's and jump AND interact seem to be hard coded to A. I had changed the swap weapon to right toggle like you and a while ago, because the current on is problematic in middle of combat.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for info but I couldn't find a 'template B' and there's and jump AND interact seem to be hard coded to A. I had changed the swap weapon to right toggle like you and a while ago, because the current on is problematic in middle of combat.

While in Gamepad mode, open your Start Menu NOT your Esc Menu, Scroll Down to Options, Third on the list Gameplay. Second option in there is Templates, Template B removes X/A as Jump.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on May 1, 2021 8:45AM
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While in Gamepad mode, open your Start Menu NOT your Esc Menu, Scroll Down to Options, Third on the list Gameplay. Second option in there is Templates, Template B removes X/A as Jump.

Wow you are a legend that worked. I just added jump back to A and it is good, now interact is totally separate. That one even had weapon swap in better position, that should have been default layout if you ask me.

BTW when you realize HOLD with button is separate than just push that makes me think of many more options to make controller better. Now if it was just as responsive as KB/M that would be great. I tweaked GamepadSensitivityThirdPerson.2 and it is much better but still not as quick as KB/M.
    Edited by Merforum on May 1, 2021 6:30PM