The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Console Enhanced: Missing the Mark?

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
We've got new details about the specifics of the fidelity and performance modes on the upcoming console enhanced game client:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/59985

According to that article the different graphics modes on Xbox Series X and PS5 breakdown like this:

Fidelity Mode:
Native 4k resolution
30 FPS
Shadow settings at Ultra
Texture settings at High
Increased View Distance
Ambient Occlusion with LSAO and SSGI
Antialiasing with TAA
Planar Reflections at Medium
Circular Bokeh Depth of Field

Performance Mode:
Native 1440p resolution
60 FPS
Shadow settings at Ultra
Texture settings at High
Increased View Distance
Ambient Occlusion with LSAO and SSGI
Antialiasing with TAA
Planar Reflections at Medium
Circular Bokeh Depth of Field

Is it just me, or should performance mode be 4K 60fps without the dialed up graphical settings listed above? Performance mode should be crisp (4k) and smooth (60fps) with sacrifices made on the other graphical bells and whistles in order to maintain those two benchmarks. I currently play on console at 4k, 30fps on Xbox Series X through its backwards compatibility to the Xbox One X version. I don't want to have to make a sacrifice to resolution when going to 60fps using the console enhanced performance mode. But it looks like we have to sacrifice resolution to get 60 FPS, just so we can have a few other graphical settings dialed up. I would strongly prefer all of the same graphical settings as the Xbox One X version, just bumped up to 60fps.

Alternatively, the fidelity mode will be running at 4K, 30FPS. So all I will be seeing there is a few improvements on other graphical settings over backwards compatibility to the Xbox One X version. That really doesn't excite me, and I would much rather see the improved frame rate.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is set in stone. I'm must say I'm pretty disappointed. I either have to play at the same 4k and rough 30fps I play at now, with a few visual upgrades. Or, I reduce from playing at 4K down to 1440p to see a smooth experience at 60fps.
Edited by MurderMostFoul on April 30, 2021 2:31PM
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you but I was actually relieved to see the “performance” mode was 1440p… I was already bracing for it to be 1080. I play at 1440p on PC and it looks better than ESO on my Xbox one x at 4k.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is actually just a stop gap improvement. The three consoles are in their infancy and right now most developers are issuing minor updates to improve performance.

There are basically three tiers of next gen support. The first is backwards compatibility in which the game code hasn't been optimized to run on the new systems and the consoles themselves are doing all of the heavy lifting.

The second is a pass over which unlocks certain features such as what ESO is doing on consoles. Borderlands 3, God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc. I believe Star Wars Fallen Order has also done this.

The third is actually rewriting key sections of coding to make efficient and proper use of the new consoles. An upcoming example of this would be GTA5 on consoles in which Rockstar has stated that it's not simply porting and unlocking graphical features in the game but actually properly updating for the current generation.

I would guess that as time goes on and ZOS developers have more time they can better tailor the Xbox Series X and PS5 settings to get 4k 60fps or have a 1440 120fps. You shouldn't expect 4k 120fps as its basically a waste for the vast majority of console owners. They simply don't have the TV to display such and many are still playing on just 1080p screens or 4k 30/60fps.

Essentially give it some time as there is ample room for improvement and developers and console makers are wisely not fully pushing the systems right now.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shimm wrote: »
    I agree with you but I was actually relieved to see the “performance” mode was 1440p… I was already bracing for it to be 1080. I play at 1440p on PC and it looks better than ESO on my Xbox one x at 4k.

That's an interesting perspective. I certainly haven't seen that kind of side by side comparison. Maybe it could change my mind.

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is actually just a stop gap improvement. The three consoles are in their infancy and right now most developers are issuing minor updates to improve performance.

There are basically three tiers of next gen support. The first is backwards compatibility in which the game code hasn't been optimized to run on the new systems and the consoles themselves are doing all of the heavy lifting.

The second is a pass over which unlocks certain features such as what ESO is doing on consoles. Borderlands 3, God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc. I believe Star Wars Fallen Order has also done this.

The third is actually rewriting key sections of coding to make efficient and proper use of the new consoles. An upcoming example of this would be GTA5 on consoles in which Rockstar has stated that it's not simply porting and unlocking graphical features in the game but actually properly updating for the current generation.

I would guess that as time goes on and ZOS developers have more time they can better tailor the Xbox Series X and PS5 settings to get 4k 60fps or have a 1440 120fps. You shouldn't expect 4k 120fps as its basically a waste for the vast majority of console owners. They simply don't have the TV to display such and many are still playing on just 1080p screens or 4k 30/60fps.

Essentially give it some time as there is ample room for improvement and developers and console makers are wisely not fully pushing the systems right now.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My main issue though is not asking for the developers to have unlocked more of the systems' power, but instead to prioritize the power they've unlocked differently. 4K at 60 FPS is definitely how I would have prioritized the improved capabilities of the new consoles for performance mode.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a correct implementation of HDR for consoles should be included in that, not the color saturated mess we have now.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA