Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

returning magplar

• WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Qbiken wrote: »
    The problem with magplar this patch isn't damage, they've plenty of it if you want to. The problem is that their offensive toolkit is too backloaded and it's main spammable doesn't allow for block- and dodgecasting, which is alot more important in a meta where burst is insanely high.

The moment you go offensive you blow up because the incoming damage is so high (if we ignore duels where magplar can still work somewhat). So most of the time you end up stuck on your backbar trying to recover. Magplar is still good (but not top tier, I'd say it's somewhere in the middle) for group play but currently I'd say it doesn't really matter what you decide to run gearwise because the magplar toolkit isn't suitable for the current meta at all.

This is exactly why I started running crescent sweep again, even if it's clunky with its cast time, I can at least have a quick burst window with upfront damage.

My vision for melee magplar this patch is high/semi high spd build with as many defensive sets as possible. For bgs I'll still sprinkle some vate destro on top, it's simply too good even now not to run it.

With extra spell damage this patch, living dark is looking a little bit better, but I'm still hoping to see it changed to at least also proc on dot dmg taken, or have its cost reduced.

I found magplar still close to top tier in BG. I don't know if I am near the top MMR but I still manage to get runs with 17 kills and 0 deaths and carry teams to victory. I don't know if its the fact that I played mag for 3 yers and I have tons of experience on it but I find it much much better both in terms of survivability and even burst compared to stamplar..

On duels though I simply can't survive burst vs top players. Sorcs and stam classes with burst blow me away and even with 5k dps I can't kill them fast enough..

In BG a magplar played right is a speed deamon.. Charging both offensivly and defensively.. Roll dodge is your friend too as is the block with psijuc order on back bar. You can match sorc in terms of mobility with toppling charge but be less squishy if you get caught if you run snb with psijic shield on back bar..
    Edited by WolfyRaps on April 2, 2021 8:07AM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a little random but does anyone use Oblivion Foe on a magplar? I quite like it on my magdk but I don’t really see it on a plar
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Just a little random but does anyone use Oblivion Foe on a magplar? I quite like it on my magdk but I don’t really see it on a plar

I haven’t. But I’ve thought about it.

Off topic, but these are my usual skill. Doubt they are much different from others:

Offensive bar: Sweeps, Toppling, Reflective, Radiant, (flex spot, but usually elemental drain). Crescent/ or Nova
    Defensive bar: regeneration, extended, rat, focus, hod. Resto ult or practiced incantation

Anyways, it’s hard to give up Elemental drain, but I gave a 2h maul a go so I had to slot something else. And remembering a past Templar saying that Templar’s should slot their heal on their offensive bar so you can stay in the fight, I decided to slot Living Dark...and I’m getting some success with this. The maul hits pretty hard and I don’t have switch back to heal as often.

This is in no proc pvp right now. But thought I’d share. Might even play around with a 2h sword. Would buff Living Dark even more.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I’m running Eternal Vigor + Stuhn + Malacath (no monster set). Loving it so far.

However, I’d like to try a back bar set that in order to try and run a monster set too.

What do you guys use or like?
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I’m running Eternal Vigor + Stuhn + Malacath (no monster set). Loving it so far.

However, I’d like to try a back bar set that in order to try and run a monster set too.

You can run an arena set on your back bar, keep toppling charge and stuhn on your front part.

Alternatively, I feel like Specter's Eye is a very good back bar option for any mag class that intends to fight in melee range.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Assuming you wanna replace EV, with a backbar set, probably a defensive set like specters eye, gloom grace, hist sap, just to name a few. Or you can do crimson, defending warrior, juggernaut etc, they all work.
    I've seen some ppl run brand of imperium, it synergies well with mist form.

You can run an arena set on your back bar, keep toppling charge and stuhn on your front part.

Alternatively, I feel like Specter's Eye is a very good back bar option for any mag class that intends to fight in melee range.

This.
    Brp or vate destro are the best choices for arena wpn backbar.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't like spectre's eye, the most dangerous enemies are dizzy swingers, stamnbs out of cloak, sorcs frags that hit harder than a ult. All these are single target. Rather wear something like pariah on body and use for sustain something on backbar, or drop monster set for sustain body like eternal vigor and use double arena weapon
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    i don't like spectre's eye, the most dangerous enemies are dizzy swingers, stamnbs out of cloak, sorcs frags that hit harder than a ult. All these are single target. Rather wear something like pariah on body and use for sustain something on backbar, or drop monster set for sustain body like eternal vigor and use double arena weapon

-20% dawn breaker, jabs, sub assault, blast bones, leap... All very good for survivability. Remember, all single target skills can be roll dodged.

Plus, running 2 five pieces, a monster set, and a mythic is really nice.

Oh, and Specter's Eye is crafted for easy access and Max flexibility.

About 2 hrs ago I went 15 and 3 in high mmr Deathmatch (Xbox NA) on my light armor, melee magplar wearing spectre's Eye, most damage done, second most healing.

I wouldn't recommend spectre's Eye for a ranged magplar tho.

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »

-20% dawn breaker, jabs, sub assault, blast bones, leap... All very good for survivability. Remember, all single target skills can be roll dodged.

Plus, running 2 five pieces, a monster set, and a mythic is really nice.

Oh, and Specter's Eye is crafted for easy access and Max flexibility.

About 2 hrs ago I went 15 and 3 in high mmr Deathmatch (Xbox NA) on my light armor, melee magplar wearing spectre's Eye, most damage done, second most healing.

I wouldn't recommend spectre's Eye for a ranged magplar tho.

I’m definitely going to try spectre today with Stuhn front.
    I’m not that impressed with Vigor and I’d like to use a monster set again
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of you guys testing 5pc DoT based sets?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 28, 2021 7:34PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of you guys testing DoT based sets?

I run Grothdar as my monster. Sort of a DOT. Helps pump up purifying light on my melee target.

Did you try Spectre's Eye?
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I run Grothdar as my monster. Sort of a DOT. Helps pump up purifying light on my melee target.

I'm using Stunh and rotating Dedrcik Trickery and Spectre...really good fun. Not overpowered at all but really good fun!!
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using Stunh and rotating Dedrcik Trickery and Spectre...really good fun. Not overpowered at all but really good fun!!

If you ever feel like specter isn't doing enough, the trick to using it is that you have to make sure you are in combat to proc it. This usually means two attacks/skills prior to swapping bars. And a light attack cancel into a skill often won't do it as the light attack won't hit your opponent before your skill is activated, hence you won't be in combat yet.

What works for me is to hit anything with degeneration, then use another skill on my back bar to proc it (purifying light typically on my magplar).

If you're not doing this double cast on your back bar you'll often be running around without the benefit of major evasion, which means the set is doing nothing and you're taking a lot more damage.

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any new ideas anyone?
  • quickblade418
    quickblade418
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest brp swords front bar for high spell dmg ( synergize well with magplar ) and good defenses with quick cloak , and back bar defending vateshran ice staff with a psijic skill on back bar for the shield ( and for the passive 1800 return magicka when absorbing damage with a destro staff equipped with a shield on: destruction expert passive )

monster set for magplar grothdar is nice , or bloodspawn if you need more defenses or skoria if you need more single target burst.

Sets : that i have no idea , could be a 5 pieces on body with 2 trainee jewels and one mythic jewel

6 total sets, beast defenses, beast offense , but low sustain, have to rely on meditate unless you put a sustain 5 pcs set
    Edited by quickblade418 on May 23, 2021 3:06PM
    NA PC

EP
    - Ishkashi - Magplar
    - Orchish - Stamplar
    - Amerikan Knight - Stam DK
    - Déàth - Mag DK
    - Psychic Venom - Mag NB
    - Made in Quebec - Stam NB
    - Death'inately not Dëäth - Stamden

DC
    - Dëàth - Mag DK
    - Death-îsh - Magden

AD
    - Lìfe - Magden
    - Déäth - Mag DK
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any new ideas anyone?

If you like DW on your front bar, the new set - Heartland Conqueror Set , offers great value. Go main hand nirnhond, off- had sharpened, with 2 maces = ~400 SD + 6,000 pen front bar bonus.

Back bar, Ice Staff + Wrath of Elements take the powered trait for 18% extra healing.
    You will get a crazy high "Honor the Dead" tooltip.

The rest is up to you, Stuhn's Favor front bar or even better , "Vestment of Olorime" if you have the perfected version.

Monster set/Mythic - Whatever you like best.