The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Companion Outfits - Please Give Us Helms

Kiyakotari
Kiyakotari
✭✭✭✭✭
Basically what the title says. I've been experimenting with the Companions on the PTS, and one of the things I noticed is that while we can give them a customized outfit using the Outfitting system, there is no option to customize their helm.

While I do understand that these Companions have been created and written with their own story and narrative, and placing a helmet, hat, helm, or hood on them might hide their face and disguise their appearance, which could be contrary to their character as written, many players will be going through these questlines more than one time. Myself included. In addition, some people are excited about the Companions for more than merely their potential as combat assistants or their stories as written by the ESO staff. Many people in the housing community have been looking forward to being able to place them in housing, and have been overjoyed at the ability to customize their appearances. For them, being able to hide their identity underneath a helmet makes them much, much more versatile, and much more appealing.

For myself, I have a lot of characters, and some of them I really look forward to acquainting with the new Companions and their stories. But for others, I have been hoping to use the Companions as stand-ins for personal retainers, armspersons, accomplices in their nefarious activities, apprentices, and other such things as they go about their adventures in the realms of the Elder Scrolls. Being able to hide their face with a helm is really a key part of this, because it lets the Companion be a different "person" for each of the characters. I can't rename them or give them nicknames, but just being able to assign a helm to that outfit slot instead of being locked out of it would be huge in expanding the versatility of these new Companions for the player base.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, the writ turn-in station at Vivec City is bustling with Crafters dropping off their deliveries as the shouts of Battleground trainers ring through the air nearby. Varanis Arano hands over the last shipment of weapons at the Vivec docks, where they'll be shipped off to support the war effort in Cyrodiil. "Alright, Mirri, I'm done. Time to go adventuring."

Five Mirri Elendis' look at her, equally expressionless.

"Er, which one of you is my Mirri Elendis?"

(Or, yes please, give us helms!)
    Edited by VaranisArano on April 29, 2021 11:13AM
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with this. Mirri can still be Mirri if she’s wearing a hood. Bastian is still Bastian if he’s wearing a helmet. I don’t care if when we talk to them we see them without a helmet, hood, or hat. It would simply be like they were taking them off when they weren’t speaking with us. But when we’re out in the world together it would be best to have them wearing headgear to make things look more diverse between ourselves and other players.

In another thread, someone posted that when they were at a crafting station their Mirri wandered over into a nearby corner and appeared to be conspiring with several other Mirris standing there. I just think that is so funny and can’t wait to see it on live! 🤣

PS. Combat pets should be given the same ability to wander away from places like crafting stations and doors and bankers when our characters are stationary. That would finally address a years old problem that people complain about on the forums all the time.
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    PS. Combat pets should be given the same ability to wander away from places like crafting stations and doors and bankers when our characters are stationary. That would finally address a years old problem that people complain about on the forums all the time.
    Interesting. I had not realized it until I read this, but that really is one of my favorite things about the companions as they are currently. They move around, giving the impression of intent and purpose. It makes them feel just a slight bit more real.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    In another thread, someone posted that when they were at a crafting station their Mirri wandered over into a nearby corner and appeared to be conspiring with several other Mirris standing there. I just think that is so funny and can’t wait to see it on live! 🤣

I also think it sounds extremely funny, but I still don't want to experience it like that every day. Immersion, hello, where are you?

• AgentUriel
    AgentUriel
    ✭✭✭
    Hey if I want to cover her/his face then that should be my right! A companion should be like It was in Skyrim; carry my stuff, kill stuff, say cool stuff and wear my B tier stuff that I wouldn't wear for a laugh.

Please make companions fully customizable! Even if that means I want to hide their face and devalue my own experience....
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoods and helms and hats are an important part of the face we present to the world yes.

Or the face we might want to hide from the world ...

Also how can this one turn Bastian into a Khajiit if she cannot equip him with one of the cat masks?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What if they just added some open face hoods and helmets to the companion outfits UI? And they could just hide helmet when you talk to them.

I imagine this situation will get a bit better once we have a lot more companions, but it seems like we'll get just 1-2 with each new zone? Just speculating
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for helmets. Crafting already automatically hides the helmet for players, no reason to not auto hide helmets in companion conversations if that's the issue.
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the deterrents of us using Helms is it can completely negate the full effect of costumes, they really don't want us putting costumes on like the Jester because without the Head cover, it just doesn't look right at all. If it did work, that would probably be the most popular costume use on Companions seeing all these literal clowns following everyone.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I don't like using helms (which I should since I like roleplaying, but I want to see my character's face so suspension of disbelief here), I totally agree Companions should be able to wear them.

If nothing else, so I don't have to continually be taunted by an unavailable hairstyle I'm dying to get constantly following me around...

I feel like it's something that I wouldn't use myself, but I would like the option so I don't have to see 50+ Bastians and Mirris all walking around. Sure, they'll all be in different outfits (and half will be in the bather towel), but that won't stop them all from looking the same.
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would like it so that if someone summons a companion they have a random appearance to other players or something. 500 clones is a bit wierd, but it's on par with 50% of the playerbase wanting to be radioactive powerrangers wearing a kettle for a hat.
  • Moonsprite
    Moonsprite
    ✭✭✭
    Can they at least use adornments? If I use Mirri, I want her to have at least an adornment with some earrings.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonsprite wrote: »
    Can they at least use adornments? If I use Mirri, I want her to have at least an adornment with some earrings.
    No.

They can wear any of your owned Costumes, and they can wear an Outfit (minus helm slot) that you customize from the usual Outfit Stations using any of your known Styles/Motifs. There is not (at least on PTS) any option to purchase additional Outfit Slots for them (unlike your character). You can also set a Mount for them, from any owned Mount in your Collectibles menu.

You cannot change other cosmetic customization options beyond those.
    Edited by Kiyakotari on May 1, 2021 4:39PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kiyakotari wrote: »
    They can wear any of your owned Costumes, and they can wear an Outfit (minus helm slot) that you customize from the usual Outfit Stations using any of your known Styles/Motifs.

But some outfits also include headgear, Fisherman costume for example. Will the hat be shown (as far as I understand not)? It wouldn't cover the face.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for helmets. Crafting already automatically hides the helmet for players, no reason to not auto hide helmets in companion conversations if that's the issue.

I agree. I appreciate the work done to make these unique characters with their own stories, but headgear need not take away from that. As suggested, it could always be hidden during interactions with the player. I would probably most often use hide-helmet on them anyway, but sometimes hoods work best with an outfit and I do like breaking out the Witch’s hat for the festival and would share that with my companions as well! :)
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless there is something I'm missing this is purely cosmetic. Anything that increases variety is good. Just have the same hide helmet customization in the outfit as we have now for player's and be done with it.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no logical reason for which we have to stick with no helmets companions.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Radiant Apex Companion Helms? Joking, I hope not. Think of all the opal monster helms and others this leaves out.

Even Reachmen know to wear an empty skull to protect the one attached to their neck.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How about this one, Mirri?" Varanis hands over a leather cowl etched with sweeping curves. "It's from the Thieves Guild and should help with your stealth."

Mirri runs a finger along the grain and the metal headband. "It looks nice, but it'll squash my ponytail."

Varanis sighs. "No, ponytails don't work well with helmets. You could just wear it in a low bun, like me."

Mirri hands back the cowl and strokes her ponytail protectively.

From the Outfit station in the corner of the marketplace, they hear a wail, "I can't wear that! It'll muss my hair!"

"Bastian, your hair is already mussed!"
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    Kiyakotari wrote: »
    They can wear any of your owned Costumes, and they can wear an Outfit (minus helm slot) that you customize from the usual Outfit Stations using any of your known Styles/Motifs.

But some outfits also include headgear, Fisherman costume for example. Will the hat be shown (as far as I understand not)? It wouldn't cover the face.

I've checked, and it doesn't matter if it's a Costume that has headgear components that cover the face entirely (like Auroran and the Jester), partially (like some of the Ashlander or various scout costumes), or not at all (like the Fiserman one you cited). The headgear is automatically disabled for any equipped Costume on the Companion, and cannot be seen.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the Companions would just shut up and stop hiding their hat I would be able to find use for them. Then, with only the application of a costume, I could make believe that Mirri was a Dark Seducer thrall or Bastion a Golden Saint, gifts from the Mad God to help my insanely anxious and cowardly no-kill RP character save the world.
    PC EU
  • dunngiven
    dunngiven
    Soul Shriven
    I want to have Bastin wear the same hat as me.

We have the same clothes and boots, we have the same horse but how can we be twins if he hasn't got the hat.
  • yohoia
    yohoia
    I agree so much with this. WHY can't companions wear helmets? There is simply no reason at all.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's annoying seeing a million Mirri's and Bastions standing around looking exactly the same.

Helms would help a lot with this.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    It's annoying seeing a million Mirri's and Bastions standing around looking exactly the same.

More companions would also help. :smile:
    Playing since beta...
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    Stx wrote: »

More companions would also help. :smile:

Yes well I was shocked when they announced they would only have two options for companions. I didn't think adding companion options was that difficult.

Hopefully we get more options soon.
  • Maya_Nur
    Maya_Nur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still no news on adding visible head pieces for companions?
  • NylAR
    NylAR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Screw just helms.... Give me hairstyles, hats, head customisation etc.

Helms alone are meh