The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The pros and cons of Malacath's Band of Brutality

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »
    echo2omega wrote: »
    There are no cons to malacath other than taking up 1 slot on your build. Assuming an opponent wears 7 impen and has the crit resist cp slottable, their crit resist would sit at 2970, or 46% critical dmg resistance. In order to outperform malacath, you would need at least 50% crit chance and 80% crit damage. That is a lot of crit chance investment for most classes, so it's actually better to just slot on malacath and stack into full weapon/spell dmg/pen.

Malacath needs to be removed from the game, or at least have its damage buff adjusted so that it makes sense to run a crit build.

Here is the thing though.
    That player spent resources to get the crit resistance they have. Impen armor traits and slotting a crit resist buff.
    Which provide no protection vs Malacath.

So to defend against Malacath they should use a different trait (like reinforced or nirnhined) and/or slot skill to provide additional armor to provide more damage resistance against... damage.
    But then that would leave them vulnerable to being critically hit and damaged

So to beat the players who are stacking defence against Malacath I want to stack as much crit chance and crit damage as I can because they are defending against Malacath and not crit hits and damage.

hmmm. Quite a dilemma...
    Looks like there is a classic rock paper scissors forming. That's really good for PVP.

It would be rock paper scissors if crit chance wasn't hard to get. In order to reach 50% crit chance on stam for non nb classes, you would need to slot leviathan, use thief mundus, have major savagery, and be in 5 medium. That is a lot of investment just to be able to reach 50% crit chance. It's even more ridiculous when you factor in people who do run impenetrable traits and crit resist cp slottable on their builds. Compared to a malacath build that can use heavy armor, 2 dmg sets, and a dmg mundus, mala is always the more attractive option.

Catcro's say hello.

1 class and 1 race.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no cons to malacath other than taking up 1 slot on your build. Assuming an opponent wears 7 impen and has the crit resist cp slottable, their crit resist would sit at 2970, or 46% critical dmg resistance. In order to outperform malacath, you would need at least 50% crit chance and 80% crit damage. That is a lot of crit chance investment for most classes, so it's actually better to just slot on malacath and stack into full weapon/spell dmg/pen.

Malacath needs to be removed from the game, or at least have its damage buff adjusted so that it makes sense to run a crit build.

That player spent resources to get the crit resistance they have. Impen armor traits and slotting a crit resist buff.

So to defend against Malacath they should use a different trait (like reinforced or nirnhined) and/or slot skill to provide additional armor to provide more damage resistance against... damage.

So to beat the players who are stacking defence against Malacath I want to stack as much crit chance and crit damage as I can because they are defending against Malacath and not crit hits and damage.

hmmm. Quite a dilemma...
    Looks like there is a classic rock paper scissors forming. That's really good for PVP.

It would be rock paper scissors if crit chance wasn't hard to get. In order to reach 50% crit chance on stam for non nb classes, you would need to slot leviathan, use thief mundus, have major savagery, and be in 5 medium. That is a lot of investment just to be able to reach 50% crit chance. It's even more ridiculous when you factor in people who do run impenetrable traits and crit resist cp slottable on their builds. Compared to a malacath build that can use heavy armor, 2 dmg sets, and a dmg mundus, mala is always the more attractive option.

Catcro's say hello.

1 class and 1 race.

There's three classes that can utilize Cats really well, Cros, Templars, and Nightblades.

Wait till you get dropped by a 40k scourge.
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit*

Yup. People who know know.
    Edited by Dunning_Kruger on April 8, 2021 7:52PM

For the Queen bby
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

hmmm. Quite a dilemma...

Only in some mushroom ridden fantasy would that be good for PvP. It would be like playing rock, paper, scisors comitting to one an entire game so you would either always lose or always win. A reactive RPS can be decent, if devs are lazy... but this is not reactive. This is just crap.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malacath's Band of Brutality is essential for PvP game balance.
    In the old days, Impenetrable was the king of PvP armor traits.
    But there is Malacath's Band of Brutality now.
    Which throws away critical damage and increases damage by 25%.

So this is rock-paper-scissors.
    Impenetrable is strong against critical build, but weak against Malacath build.
    This is a great benefit that expand the possibilities for other armor traits in PvP.

It also has a negative effect, but it's not the fault of Malacath's Band of Brutality.
    I's just that the proc damage sets are too strong.
    Even in PvE, Relequen in proc damage sets is the king of DPS sets.

From this it is clear that the proc damage sets need to be nerfed.

I'm reposting my thoughts about Malacath from another thread. I'm not happy with it as it is now.

Repost:

I've been reluctant to say this for a while - maybe Malacath should only offer a flat 300 weapon and spell damage bonus.

It will become a great item for those who simply want a 1 piece set to go with a missing 5-piece or a missing monster set.

I'm one of those people because I prefer stats to procs.

/Repost.

I think this would immediately solve all of our problems with Malacath and still make it viable and versatile.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on April 12, 2021 10:21PM
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

This is a great benefit that expand the possibilities for other armor traits in PvP.

It also has a negative effect, but it's not the fault of Malacath's Band of Brutality.

I'm reposting my thoughts about Malacath from another thread. I'm not happy with it as it is now.

Repost:

I've been reluctant to say this for a while - maybe Malacath should only offer a flat 300 weapon and spell damage bonus.

It will become a great item for those who simply want a 1 piece set to go with a missing 5-piece or a missing monster set.

/Repost.

I think this would immediately solve all of our problems with Malacath and still make it viable and versatile.

Well they need to redo the entire game along those lines... it's like they fix poor balance with even worse balance. They need to go back to scratch for PvP. The game has some great base mechanics but PvP balance needs a complete make over.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »

Repost:

/Repost.

Well they need to redo the entire game along those lines... it's like they fix poor balance with even worse balance. They need to go back to scratch for PvP. The game has some great base mechanics but PvP balance needs a complete make over.

Yeaah they make standards and then with new sets blow those standards out of the water.
  • Beffagorn
    Beffagorn
    ✭✭✭
    Malacath's just need to not buff procs from sets. Other than that it's fine for the investment required.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment from the other malacath post:

My issue with malacath isn't the damage increase, even though it's substantial. It's that ZOS continues to not address the tank meta, where someone doesn't have to sacrifice damage for high survivability.

If a glass cannon wants to wear malacath as is, go for it. But someone with 32k+ health, 32k+ resistances and decked out in heavy armor shouldn't hit hard than a light armor mag toon with 45k magicka or a stamblade with 8k damage and 15k pen.

The heavy armor tree should ditch the mag weakness and institute a significant damage nerf per piece.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My issue with malacath isn't the damage increase, even though it's substantial. It's that ZOS continues to not address the tank meta, where someone doesn't have to sacrifice damage for high survivability.

If a glass cannon wants to wear malacath as is, go for it. But someone with 32k+ health, 32k+ resistances and decked out in heavy armor shouldn't hit hard than a light armor mag toon with 45k magicka or a stamblade with 8k damage and 15k pen.

The heavy armor tree should ditch the mag weakness and institute a significant damage nerf per piece.

It should keep the mag nerf and get a dps nerf.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry man, this is incoherent when there's offensive stat scaled healing. There is no trinity here.

You think Heavy needs a nerf to damage done? Medium and Light need a nerf to healing received, and then the offensive stat scaled healing wouldn't break this imagined trinity of tank-healer-dd that seems so dear to some.

It's also broadly false that you can hit as hard in Malacath as you can without it. On the high end of damage, it's not possible.

Edited by Urzigurumash on April 15, 2021 6:11PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyhow, let's call a truce on all these debates, since we've just gotten word of another huge change to PvP. I'm very interested to see how it pans out.
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pro: Damage
    Con: None
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    As with so many things in this game malakath is not severely unbalanced. It's the stacking and combination that as usual breaks the game because the design of the game is a bit half arsed when it comes to buff/bonus additions. They did add the minor/major. That kind of system should be in effect across the board for everything related to gear, food, potions.

Only select skills and passives should be able to add beyond that system.

Then it would be fine if players could wear one mythic that breaks that rule... it could also be scaled down slightly and still be amazing simply because it goes beyond what other gear can do.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 16, 2021 12:04AM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

where are the cons you specified in the title? you didn't mention them. And if it's about dropping your crit, no. Because you won't get 50% crit in a single item slot to counterweight the pros. Even if the ring was 2 slots, it is still much stronger than any monster set or arena weapon.

Udrath wrote: »
    It should be the same percentage as major berserk. 10% increased damage. They fixed all major and minor debuffs, and kept malacath behind a pay wall. Once the new chapter is out they’ll nerf it.

yeah exactly what i pointed in my thread here
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/555980/is-it-that-difficult-to-get-explanations-from-the-combat-balance-team/p1
    i know i am a ghost mostly anywhere but as always no one cares, not even them

Mythic Items were a terrible idea and should have never made it anywhere into the game. Malacath, pale order, wild hunt, drastically change the actual mechanics of the game. It boogles the mind of why they would do this but more importantly in upsets the balance of PVP more than any other bonuses or procs. I wish ZOS realizes their mistake about using single set items that change the inherent core mechanics of the game and keep them out of pvp where they tempt people into using cancerous builds

exactly the correct thoughts, why couldn't they find other ways to lure people into buying the chapter other than breaking the whole pvp gameplay, and pve too with their broken mythics. Have you seen the coming mythic for the next chapter? very defensive but zero block mitigation, now that's horrible because you don't block anyway on a serious build. What's on their minds? at this point i think they just troll the pvp community for their laughs. If this happens or malacath doesn't get in a proper line of balance, the last brick in the wall will be put and the only reasonable place to pvp would be a no procs campaign or simply another game for pvp
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly there are actual numbers on how Malacath has been tweaked for the upcoming patch.

Without being too specific, the bonus damage has been reduced but you are allowed to Crit again, albeit with a reduced rate versus a non-wearer.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Supposedly there are actual numbers on how Malacath has been tweaked for the upcoming patch.

Without being too specific, the bonus damage has been reduced but you are allowed to Crit again, albeit with a reduced rate versus a non-wearer.

Yeah. I saw somewhere that it was lowered to 16% from 25%. And crit has maybe been halved instead of no crit? I honestly was surprised. There seems to be other information out there, too. Just find it strange how some players are able to get inside information. I mean...if you're gonna let information leak, let it leak here, too.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The procs and cons of Malacath's Band of Brutality :p
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry man, this is incoherent when there's offensive stat scaled healing. There is no trinity here.

You think Heavy needs a nerf to damage done? Medium and Light need a nerf to healing received, and then the offensive stat scaled healing wouldn't break this imagined trinity of tank-healer-dd that seems so dear to some.

It's also broadly false that you can hit as hard in Malacath as you can without it. On the high end of damage, it's not possible.

Sorry, bud, but non tanks already lose out. I'm not walking around with 40k resistances so I never fall below soft cap. Or have 4k health regen. A tank shouldn't get to be both a tank AND a killer. Tanks serve a very real purpose in pvp but they're currently also able to smoke dedicated damage dealers.

I respect your opinion but c'mon.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, bud, but non tanks already lose out. I'm not walking around with 40k resistances so I never fall below soft cap. Or have 4k health regen. A tank shouldn't get to be both a tank AND a killer. Tanks serve a very real purpose in pvp but they're currently also able to smoke dedicated damage dealers.

Yeah I understand that, but Heavy Armor isn't the only thing that makes a tank a tank. Your average PvP "DD" has plenty in common with a PvE Tank - i.e., they have stuns and snares slotted, multiple self-heals, max health foods, resistance buffs, Tri-Pots, etc.

There's already less buffs to damage in Heavy, and less buffs to Healing Received in Medium/Light. I think the Armor passives should stay as is for now, with all of these other changes.

Also I'm an Orc DK, so it's unlikely I'll ever relent on my rejection of the idea that Heavy Armor = Tank = 100% Defensive role.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I understand that, but Heavy Armor isn't the only thing that makes a tank a tank. Your average PvP "DD" has plenty in common with a PvE Tank - i.e., they have stuns and snares slotted, multiple self-heals, max health foods, resistance buffs, Tri-Pots, etc.

There's already less buffs to damage in Heavy, and less buffs to Healing Received in Medium/Light. I think the Armor passives should stay as is for now, with all of these other changes.

Also I'm an Orc DK, so it's unlikely I'll ever relent on my rejection of the idea that Heavy Armor = Tank = 100% Defensive role.

Then run medium. Heavy armor sets are clearly meant for tanks save some weirdo sets like rattle age.

Running bee keeper, fortified, and endurance should make you a tank, not an immortal dps.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then run medium. Heavy armor sets are clearly meant for tanks save some weirdo sets like rattle age.

Running bee keeper, fortified, and endurance should make you a tank, not an immortal dps.

I understand the power fantasy. I tried making a battle mage in heavy armor. But there has to be a tradeoff. Damage for survivability.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The eternal quest for balance often leads to homogenization.

Those aren't the only heavy sets in the game, and obviously nobody is running Beekeeper or Endurance anytime soon after this next patch. Plenty of light armor characters have been using Pariah Jewels and Weapons for years, what of that?
    I understand the power fantasy. I tried making a battle mage in heavy armor. But there has to be a tradeoff. Damage for survivability.

It's not just a two-dimensional axis, there is also mobility and sustain, at least.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The eternal quest for balance often leads to homogenization.

Those aren't the only heavy sets in the game, and obviously nobody is running Beekeeper or Endurance anytime soon after this next patch. Plenty of light armor characters have been using Pariah Jewels and Weapons for years, what of that?

It's not just a two-dimensional axis, there is also mobility and sustain, at least.

I have zero issue with someone wearing a defense set on their weapons and jewelry because they aren't getting huge resistance numbers from heavy armor and heavy armor passives. I wore pariah on my magplar for the better pay of a year. It didn't make me immortal by any stretch and I only wore it to stay alive when fighting crimson werewolves with 50k health. Was I a little harder to kill? Sure. But if my initial onslaught didn't kill the target I was toast.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero issue with someone wearing a defense set on their weapons and jewelry because they aren't getting huge resistance numbers from heavy armor and heavy armor passives.

You can wear all kinds of sets in all kinds of weights. Why would every playstyle wear the same exact weight? Who's to say what's right and wrong about what armor weight people "should" be wearing?
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭

Yes it is possible man! Malacath procbuilds widely outperforms statbuilds in terms of damage. Play a BG and you will see that mala procbuilds deals the most damage by far
    Edited by oscarovegren on April 22, 2021 10:22AM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is possible man! Malacath procbuilds widely outperforms statbuilds in terms of damage. Play a BG and you will see that mala procbuilds deals the most damage by far

I play BGs quite a bit. That's not what I meant, I meant like as in one singular hit. The uppermost limit you can get any one skill to hit for is lower if you have on Malacath, because even the baseline Crit Damage buffs exceeds Malacath's buff, let alone the sum of all Crit Damage buffs, is what i meant.

Edited by Urzigurumash on April 23, 2021 6:14AM