The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The pros and cons of Malacath's Band of Brutality

master_vanargand
master_vanargand
✭✭✭✭✭
Malacath's Band of Brutality is essential for PvP game balance.
In the old days, Impenetrable was the king of PvP armor traits.
But there is Malacath's Band of Brutality now.
Which throws away critical damage and increases damage by 25%.

So this is rock-paper-scissors.
Impenetrable is strong against critical build, but weak against Malacath build.
This is a great benefit that expand the possibilities for other armor traits in PvP.

It also has a negative effect, but it's not the fault of Malacath's Band of Brutality.
I's just that the proc damage sets are too strong.
Even in PvE, Relequen in proc damage sets is the king of DPS sets.

From this it is clear that the proc damage sets need to be nerfed.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could very easily live with malacath not buffing procs

In PvP....

It would hurt one build of mine in PvE; but I suppose well worth it
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 28, 2021 1:12AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest drawback of malacath is that it requires a slot to use. Sadly its that strong. Make it not buff proccs and make it so you cant crit heal either.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mythic Items were a terrible idea and should have never made it anywhere into the game. Malacath, pale order, wild hunt, drastically change the actual mechanics of the game. It boogles the mind of why they would do this but more importantly in upsets the balance of PVP more than any other bonuses or procs. I wish ZOS realizes their mistake about using single set items that change the inherent core mechanics of the game and keep them out of pvp where they tempt people into using cancerous builds that are worse then the sloads plague three years ago.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ring - Increases your damage done by 25%. You cannot critical heal or deal critical damage.

Would be a small improvement.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    Ring - Increases your damage done by 25%. You cannot critical heal or deal critical damage.

Then if would also need to increase your healing by 25% to be fair and I don't think anyone wants that.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Then if would also need to increase your healing by 25% to be fair and I don't think anyone wants that.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺

Need is a big stretch, even in no proc/cp change pvp healing scales too much with wd/sd imo.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on March 28, 2021 7:10AM
  • echo2omega
    echo2omega
    ✭✭✭

On the one hand I agree with you.

On the other though. How much crit chance do you have if you build for Malacath? 15% maybe 20% not really enough to make all that much of a difference.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    It should be the same percentage as major berserk. 10% increased damage. They fixed all major and minor debuffs, and kept malacath behind a pay wall. Once the new chapter is out they’ll nerf it.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    echo2omega wrote: »

On the one hand I agree with you.

On the other though. How much crit chance do you have if you build for Malacath? 15% maybe 20% not really enough to make all that much of a difference.

It not crit healing isnt a loss u are right. Like most my builds have a 10% crit chance.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malacath enables several proc based builds to straight up one shot players in both CP and no CP, without sacrificing survival the way Bomb-Blades do.

It is definitely not healthy for PvP at all.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In BGs, the only class I would not use Malacath on is NB.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balorgh and malacath are absolutely broken and can turn a near 0 damage tank with 40-60k health into a solid damage dealer, throw in a strong health based heal and PvP becomes easy mode.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make it not buff proc sets. It allowing crit heals is no big deal. Most heals won't crit enough to be significant.

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are no cons to malacath other than taking up 1 slot on your build. Assuming an opponent wears 7 impen and has the crit resist cp slottable, their crit resist would sit at 2970, or 46% critical dmg resistance. In order to outperform malacath, you would need at least 50% crit chance and 80% crit damage. That is a lot of crit chance investment for most classes, so it's actually better to just slot on malacath and stack into full weapon/spell dmg/pen.

Malacath needs to be removed from the game, or at least have its damage buff adjusted so that it makes sense to run a crit build.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suggestion: Make Malacath allow crits, but turns off proc sets and effects.

It'd still be busted and OP, but less abusable. It's not like we can just have it removed from the game by this point, once it's there it's there.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I got it, tried it, and hardly used it. I just felt there were better set ups. Personally, if I'm gonna use a mythic, I'd far rather have the mobility that say ROTWH gives me. But that's just me
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easiest solution for the Procspam would just be to exclude Procs from Malacaths buff. Procs could never crit, so they get 25% buff to no negative effect. I am also pretty confident, that the tankmeta would take a hit with that happening, because Procs alone wouldn't carry the damage anymore.
    Overall Malacaths adjustment could solve 2 of the biggest issues in PvP, just by excluding one thing.
    Edited by L_Nici on March 30, 2021 11:00AM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    Honestly, I got it, tried it, and hardly used it. I just felt there were better set ups. Personally, if I'm gonna use a mythic, I'd far rather have the mobility that say ROTWH gives me. But that's just me

I would use it a lot less in CP PVP where you can get more crit chance and damage. But you can't even use it there right now.

In no CP BGs, where it is a lot harder to get crit chance and crit damage, most classes are nerfing themselves by not equipping it (if your goal is to do damage / kill players). Wild Hunt mobility is great, but the damage drop off when choosing it over Malacath is precipitous.

I personally love wild hunt and was excited to try it out this patch, but it didn't take me long to go back to Malacath.

I'd say the only other drawback to equipping it, is that you want to avoid any lines of crit chance or damage on all of your gear to maximize its effectiveness. That significantly reduces the number of options out there. But on the other hand, that could be seen as a bonus, by significantly simplifying gear choices.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only build you wouldnt use it on is a stamblade or a stamplar, it’s basically best in slot for everything else. It has basically no drawback if you are running the average ~15% crit that most people do and find a piece of gear that gives anything close to a 25% damage buff, even if nerfed 10% it would still be a good option for most heavy armour builds.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    Only build you wouldnt use it on is a stamblade or a stamplar, it’s basically best in slot for everything else. It has basically no drawback if you are running the average ~15% crit that most people do and find a piece of gear that gives anything close to a 25% damage buff, even if nerfed 10% it would still be a good option for most heavy armour builds.

My BG stamplar prefers Malacath. I know it doesn't jive with some of their passives, but due to the nature of jabs (four discreet hits instead of one large hit) you'll get better returns from Malacath then you would from hoping for crits. The crit burst effect on jabs is a way lower since the crit chance is applied to each of the four hits separately. Where as Malacath boosts the damage of all four hits.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »

My BG stamplar prefers Malacath. I know it doesn't jive with some of their passives, but due to the nature of jabs (four discreet hits instead of one large hit) you'll get better returns from Malacath then you would from hoping for crits. The crit burst effect on jabs is a way lower since the crit chance is applied to each of the four hits separately. Where as Malacath boosts the damage of all four hits.

Stamplar has so few relevant class passives as it is, what's 1 less?

I liked acuity better last patch, but the extended cooldown and option to go 3H 4M may sway me back to Malacath.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • echo2omega
    echo2omega
    ✭✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »
    There are no cons to malacath other than taking up 1 slot on your build. Assuming an opponent wears 7 impen and has the crit resist cp slottable, their crit resist would sit at 2970, or 46% critical dmg resistance. In order to outperform malacath, you would need at least 50% crit chance and 80% crit damage. That is a lot of crit chance investment for most classes, so it's actually better to just slot on malacath and stack into full weapon/spell dmg/pen.

Malacath needs to be removed from the game, or at least have its damage buff adjusted so that it makes sense to run a crit build.

Here is the thing though.
    That player spent resources to get the crit resistance they have. Impen armor traits and slotting a crit resist buff.
    Which provide no protection vs Malacath.

So to defend against Malacath they should use a different trait (like reinforced or nirnhined) and/or slot skill to provide additional armor to provide more damage resistance against... damage.
    But then that would leave them vulnerable to being critically hit and damaged

So to beat the players who are stacking defence against Malacath I want to stack as much crit chance and crit damage as I can because they are defending against Malacath and not crit hits and damage.

hmmm. Quite a dilemma...
    Looks like there is a classic rock paper scissors forming. That's really good for PVP.
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd be fine with that item if it wouldn't increase proc damage to be honest.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    Suggestion: Make Malacath allow crits, but turns off proc sets and effects.

It'd still be busted and OP, but less abusable. It's not like we can just have it removed from the game by this point, once it's there it's there.

So, you wanna me oneshot 30k peeps with my snipeblade? :)
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That player spent resources to get the crit resistance they have. Impen armor traits and slotting a crit resist buff.

So to defend against Malacath they should use a different trait (like reinforced or nirnhined) and/or slot skill to provide additional armor to provide more damage resistance against... damage.

So to beat the players who are stacking defence against Malacath I want to stack as much crit chance and crit damage as I can because they are defending against Malacath and not crit hits and damage.

hmmm. Quite a dilemma...
    Looks like there is a classic rock paper scissors forming. That's really good for PVP.

It would be rock paper scissors if crit chance wasn't hard to get. In order to reach 50% crit chance on stam for non nb classes, you would need to slot leviathan, use thief mundus, have major savagery, and be in 5 medium. That is a lot of investment just to be able to reach 50% crit chance. It's even more ridiculous when you factor in people who do run impenetrable traits and crit resist cp slottable on their builds. Compared to a malacath build that can use heavy armor, 2 dmg sets, and a dmg mundus, mala is always the more attractive option.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malacath's Band of Brutality is essential for PvP game balance.
    In the old days, Impenetrable was the king of PvP armor traits.
    But there is Malacath's Band of Brutality now.
    Which throws away critical damage and increases damage by 25%.

So this is rock-paper-scissors.
    Impenetrable is strong against critical build, but weak against Malacath build.
    This is a great benefit that expand the possibilities for other armor traits in PvP.

It also has a negative effect, but it's not the fault of Malacath's Band of Brutality.
    I's just that the proc damage sets are too strong.
    Even in PvE, Relequen in proc damage sets is the king of DPS sets.

From this it is clear that the proc damage sets need to be nerfed.

impen is trash since it got nerfed so everything u wrote isnt the truth basicly
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    The biggest drawback of malacath is that it requires a slot to use. Sadly its that strong. Make it not buff proccs and make it so you cant crit heal either.

yea but if u disable crit heal the 25% dmg bonus also HAS to be 25% healing bonus!
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmm. Quite a dilemma...

It would be rock paper scissors if crit chance wasn't hard to get. In order to reach 50% crit chance on stam for non nb classes, you would need to slot leviathan, use thief mundus, have major savagery, and be in 5 medium. That is a lot of investment just to be able to reach 50% crit chance. It's even more ridiculous when you factor in people who do run impenetrable traits and crit resist cp slottable on their builds. Compared to a malacath build that can use heavy armor, 2 dmg sets, and a dmg mundus, mala is always the more attractive option.

Catcro's say hello.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Udrath wrote: »
    It should be the same percentage as major berserk. 10% increased damage. They fixed all major and minor debuffs, and kept malacath behind a pay wall. Once the new chapter is out they’ll nerf it.

I pretty much expect this to be one outcome of the no proc test - they will not leave Malacath untouched and bring it back in U30 for Cyrodiil. I expect a nerf to 15% increased damage instead of 25%.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pros: You have it

Cons: You dont have it