Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What beef do you think ZOS has against Bretons and Direnni?

hcbigdogdoghc
hcbigdogdoghc
✭✭✭✭✭
After possibly the worst representation in TES history so far in the form of base game High Rock since Oblivion's cyrodiil, and 7 long years of neglect to the point of retconning existing lore just to avoid making Breton/Direnni content.

They are now wasting the Isle of Balfiera to a random throwaway tutorial, with the Direnni tower looking 100% like the White Gold tower no less. ZOS, why do you hate Bretons and the Direnni so much?
Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on April 19, 2021 11:08PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After possibly the worst representation in TES history so far in the form of base game High Rock since Oblivion's cyrodiil, and 7 long years of neglect to the point of retconning existing lore the avoid making Breton/Direnni content.

They are now wasting the Isle of Balfiera to a random throwaway tutorial, with the Direnni tower looking 100% like the White Gold tower no less. ZOS, why do you hate Bretons and the Direnni so much?

That disappointing to hear, I always wanted to be able to visit it across it from Stormhaven, it was so tantalizing close and with all the history of the adamantine tower...
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is borderline hearbreaking for a Breton fan like myself. Balfiera was our last chance to get Breton-related content with the better visuals and greater story detail of the more recent releases.

This location should have been reserved for a major content release, not a throwaway location for a tutorial many of us will never even play. High Rock already got shafted by being made to feel dinky and provincial in the base game. Now, they're going to blow their one chance to correct this?

Not. Cool.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the title question. It is about Darien. They found his picture in their wive’s purses. The pictures were autographed with a few “kind” words.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    After possibly the worst representation in TES history so far in the form of base game High Rock since Oblivion's cyrodiil, and 7 long years of neglect to the point of retconning existing lore the avoid making Breton/Direnni content.

That disappointing to hear, I always wanted to be able to visit it across it from Stormhaven, it was so tantalizing close and with all the history of the adamantine tower...

This old place?
    xn7Vli7.jpg
    Y2z4dFF.jpg
    love is love
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton fan myself, this is sad to hear
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason why the Adamantine Tower looks like the White-Gold Tower is that, according to lore, "The Ayleids built their White Gold Tower to reflect Tower Zero, Ada-Mantia, in the center of Tamriel, in order to best echo and even amplify Ada-Mantia's mystical properties"

Sounds like they just copied it.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Towers

• hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    The reason why the Adamantine Tower looks like the White-Gold Tower is that, according to lore, "The Ayleids built their White Gold Tower to reflect Tower Zero, Ada-Mantia, in the center of Tamriel, in order to best echo and even amplify Ada-Mantia's mystical properties"

And this lore comes from ESO, it's just an excuse for their laziness and them not caring about Breton content at all.

For ZOS High Rock is something they want to just "get it over with" in favor of more skyrim/oblivion nostalgia i guess, hence the lazy asset reuse.
    Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on April 20, 2021 12:12AM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is borderline hearbreaking for a Breton fan like myself. Balfiera was our last chance to get Breton-related content with the better visuals and greater story detail of the more recent releases.

This location should have been reserved for a major content release, not a throwaway location for a tutorial many of us will never even play. High Rock already got shafted by being made to feel dinky and provincial in the base game. Now, they're going to blow their one chance to correct this?

Not. Cool.

There’s still that strip of land between Wrothgar and Western Skyrim that would be absolutely perfect for a DLC based around Jehanna.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Don't mess with us Breton fans! There's like, 3 of us!"

But yeah, the only potential new zone for Bretons/Direnni and it gets wasted on a tutorial zone you can't ever revisit.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But yeah, the only potential new zone for Bretons/Direnni and it gets wasted on a tutorial zone you can't ever revisit.

Bretons could still get content in the form of;

- A Daedric Plane
    - A region of Blackreach below High Rock
    - A region in Hammerfell
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

- A Daedric Plane
    - A region in Hammerfell

Content that features Bretons isnt 'Breton content". That would be like claiming Wrothgar is Bosmer content because there is a plot relevant Bosmer.

What Op (and alot of us) want is a nice deep dive into Breton culture, not just a zone where a moderate portion of the NPCs have vaguely french sounding names.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And this lore comes from ESO, it's just an excuse for their laziness and them not caring about Breton content at all.

For ZOS High Rock is something they want to just "get it over with" in favor of more skyrim/oblivion nostalgia i guess, hence the lazy asset reuse.

Well, it makes sense to me cause the Zero Tower was built by the Aedra and the Ayleids (who were still Aldmer I guess back then) still liked them.

What would you want them to do? There is like no Breton lands left and that island, while iconic to TES is not big enough for anything ESO-related. I am pretty sure there is PvP arenas bigger. And hey, at least you're not AD who ran out of land when North and South Elsweyr was released, I guess you can count that sliver of land between North and South but it's a tad small for content
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it makes sense to me cause the Zero Tower was built by the Aedra and the Ayleids (who were still Aldmer I guess back then) still liked them.

What would you want them to do? There is like no Breton lands left and that island, while iconic to TES is not big enough for anything ESO-related. I am pretty sure there is PvP arenas bigger. And hey, at least you're not AD who ran out of land when North and South Elsweyr was released, I guess you can count that sliver of land between North and South but it's a tad small for content

Direnni Tower was not built by the Ayleids.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After possibly the worst representation in TES history so far in the form of base game High Rock since Oblivion's cyrodiil, and 7 long years of neglect to the point of retconning existing lore just to avoid making Breton/Direnni content.

Bretons are a race that have been shafted in more modern games, I hope the devs utilize the vast amount of lore bretons have, though that seems tricky since they just filled the entire map.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton
    Edited by Aliyavana on April 20, 2021 12:49AM
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »

Direnni Tower was not built by the Ayleids.

No, it wasn't... my sentence is a tad misleading, my fault. I was not saying that the Direnni Tower was built by Ayleids, I was just saying that they weren't completely into daedra at this time, probably still closer to Aldmer and copied the tower.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

- A Daedric Plane
    - A region in Hammerfell

Content that features Bretons isnt 'Breton content". That would be like claiming Wrothgar is Bosmer content because there is a plot relevant Bosmer.

What Op (and alot of us) want is a nice deep dive into Breton culture, not just a zone where a moderate portion of the NPCs have vaguely french sounding names.

Well, seeing as how all Breton regions are covered - the best you could hope for is a region with Breton cultural influence.

Like a culture mix/clash of Breton & Redguard in Hammerfell

Or a culture of Bretons in Blackreach

Or a long lost culture of Bretons somewhere in Oblivion.

All three being good opportunities to explore more interesting aspects of Bretons that aren't bland.

EDIT:
    Perhaps use the Ayleid gates we saw in Murkmire and give a Breton themed expansion on that.
    Edited by Iccotak on April 20, 2021 1:15AM
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine if in the base game Dunmer zones, every single mainland Morrowind region except Mournhold was covered, but for some reason stuff like "tribunal", "ashlander", "5 great houses", "Nerevar", and all the major Dunmer lore bits didn't show up at up at all let alone even mentioned. And there are Draugr ruins everywhere in these zones for some reason.

And after 3 years of 0 Dunmer content 2017 comes, ZOS released the Morrowind chapter, and Vvardenfell is retconned into 100% Argonian territory (with all pre-established pre-3rd era Vvardenfell lore being stated as inaccurate Dunmer propaganda, and "oh yeah Dunmer Vvardenfell was only founded post ESO :D"). Balmora was renamed as Ball-Moist Village, and Vivec City renamed as Veel-Vekka Village or something.

Then in 2021, Mournhold, the last uncovered Dunmer territory, was used as the tutorial area you can't return to, and Mournhold temple is a bland asset reuse of Windhelm.

Wow, such disrespect am I right? But ZOS love Dunmer too much to do this to them.
    Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on April 20, 2021 2:00AM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What crucial Breton cultural content was left out?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their culture was barely touched at all. Druids of Galen origin, worship of gods that are not the 8 divines, etc

Uesp’s page goes into detail on them.
    Edited by Aliyavana on April 20, 2021 3:23AM
  • Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh the Breton zones/Covenant story was my favourite out of any of the original content! I was a bit of a fan, honestly. Bretons aren't entirely badly done by in this game.
  • priforce
    priforce
    ✭✭✭
    It may have to do with the next Elder Scrolls game being heavily-involved with Redguard and Breton. They may not be able to surf those waters until its official release.
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess wat, it has been changed from a placeholder.
    http://imgur.com/a/7EKkxVn
    Edited by TiaFrye on April 20, 2021 10:57AM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »

Their culture was barely touched at all. Druids of Galen origin, worship of gods that are not the 8 divines, etc

Uesp’s page goes into detail on them.

I don’t know. I’m sincerely trying to listen with an open mind and it seems like all the most central points of their culture was hit. I don’t see anything omitted that is on par with the comparison made with dunner.

I’m no expert by a long shot. But I followed your link and I saw worship of the 8 divines as primary. I also didn’t spot druids of halen but I did spot the Wyrd witches, which were covered heavily.

I’m still listening with an open mind but it is sounding like people are complaining about things on the fringe of their culture, not things central to their culture.

He did say to imagine the tribunal being left out of dunmer culture.
  • warg_derpin_gdf
    Because of the Breton's association with the ancient Ayleids, I'm assuming this will tie in to a reveal if they ever do one.

Tbf, the Daggerfall Covenant has no direction beyond that fact they live mostly close together so it's just in their best interest, and they also lack the mental stuffiness (or absence lol) of the Dunmer, Khajiit, and Argonians. I mean, everybody's stubborn, but it's waaaay more a part of their cultures when you look at Dunmer ancestor traditions, Khajiit's everything's-fine-because-MoonSugar, and the Argonians leave-us-the-heck-alone-always and their Hist mentality. So, now, the Breton's struggle with power can always be seen as an upstart or bastardized rise because it was wholly dependent on the very powerful Ayleid race's demise. How too, were they not wiped out? Maybe the Ayleids conferred some method of tactic or knowledge to protect their . . . . stock . . . . should a time come when it all need be put on hold, and now, even though there is no evidence on an Ayleid return, it's what has been critical to their success and prosperity (including their resistance to magic). Again, it might just be to keep a plotline open some way. Vampire's and werewolves are often romantically portrayed from their own side so coupled with some ancient thing passed down through the Breton's by the Ayleids could make for engaging plot matter. Direnni could be a necessary underdog in this, or just always the runt in times of power grasping.
    Karliah, when will you learn?!!
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, I was so looking forward to a small Isle of Balfiera DLC in the style of Murkmire or Clockwork City. Not to mention fleshing out the Direnni lore :(
  • Grebcol
    Grebcol
    ✭✭✭
    Heck as a Imerpial i can feel it.
    Former Mod Dev. of the Edain Mod for The Battle for Middle Earth 2
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of the Breton's association with the ancient Ayleids, I'm assuming this will tie in to a reveal if they ever do one.

Breton's don't have an association with the Ayleids. The Ayleids sphere of influence was largely over Cyrodiil, with some expansion into parts of Valenwood, Elsweyr, and Black Marsh. The elves that settled in High Rock and then mated with the local Nedic tribes, thus resulting in the Bretons, were the Altmeri Direnni clan.

The presence of Ayleid ruins in High Rock in ESO is a series of mistakes, there's no other way to put it. The first mistake was a lazy one in not creating a separate asset for Direnni ruins to be used in High Rock. The second mistake was in not just claiming those Ayleid ruins were Direnni, but rather calling them Ayleid.
    Tbf, the Daggerfall Covenant has no direction beyond that fact they live mostly close together so it's just in their best interest,

That's sort of how geopolitical alliances work in general... in a way all of the alliances are only together because ZOS wanted to create 3 alliances and so went with who works together. The specific case with the Daggerfall Covenant is that it is an alliance organized through the political aptitude of High King Emeric who managed to negotiate a series of alliances that united the provinces together under one goal of reestablishing an empire akin to the Second Empire at its best, and therefore regaining the peace and economic prosperity under it.
    Ayleid race's demise. How too, were they not wiped out? Maybe the Ayleids conferred some method of tactic or knowledge

Again, as I said before, the Bretons have almost no connection to the Ayleids. The Ayleids were wiped out due to the campaigns of the fiercely anti-elven Alessian Empire in Cyrodiil. When the Alessians came to High Rock to go against the Direnni Hedgemony (the reigning power in High Rock at the time), they were stopped and repelled by the Direnni and the Bretons. (See Battle of Glenumbra Moors. While an Ayleid King and his army did participate, this was because the Ayleid king was fleeing the pogroms of the Alessians, and not because the Ayleids had connection to High Rock.). Though the Alessians did not defeat the Direnni, the clan did find itself weakened and had to retreat to Balfiera as the emerging Breton nobility took control.
    Edited by ealdwin on April 20, 2021 3:32PM
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbf, the Daggerfall Covenant has no direction beyond that fact they live mostly close together so it's just in their best interest.

That makes them a classic medieval political alliance, strengthened by marriage. Boring? Yes, but it has the potential to last for the ages. The Aldmeri Dominion will fizzle out shortly after Ayrenn's death, the Ebonheart Pact will implode as soon as there are no outside threats left.

What could ever break the Covenant? Some hillbilly with dragon mercenaries conquering half of Tamriel? Eventually he'll run out of dragons, and what then? Nah, that would need something ridiculous, like Vorin Dagoth dreaming himself back into existence, cutting off the Tribunal's access to the Heart of Lorkhan, forcing them to conserve their powers and rather seek an alliance with that would-be emperor, giving him the Numidium as tribute, which then promptly causes a Dragonbreak when he activates it.

Edited by Toanis on April 20, 2021 4:34PM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bah.
    As apparently not getting any more character slots, I will never get to see the Direnni Tower unless I sacrifice one and redo?

Not good. Not good at all. 🤬😡
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All my character are a part of the Covenant so I'm all for adding new content to DC and I'm not saying Bretons shouldn't get their own dlc but you can't possibly believe they were gonna make content out of that small little island. Maybe a dungeon but that's it and it still could happen as a Q1 or Q3 dungeon dlc whenever an expansion comes to DC or turn Direnni Tower into a house and charge like 15k-20k crowns for it.