The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Add interrupt to concealed weapon

Noctus
Noctus
✭✭✭✭✭
concealed weapon is a very unpopular skill among magblades(compared to funnel etc.) and such a change would definately be helpfull. it would function like crushing shock interrupt.

right now ppl use it for the speed bonus which is hard to get any advantage from since u should have cloak and concealed on one bar to rly make use of it. a melee magicka character rly needs more things going for it and this change would be a real buff without making it OP.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. If Crushing shock does the job you are interested in why not just use it?

Granted, I am a noob, less than two months in the game. I use Swallow Soul in PvE and the little bit of PvP I have done due to the range and healing. Concealed weapon would seem less popular since it has limited use due to the range and the limited number of skills we can slot at one time.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually this is an interesting proposition.

I'm not sure on "unpopular", it's far from bad as I run it both on bowblade and on magblade. But interrupt is tiny utility that would have fun consequences.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. An interesting idea. I'd suggest removing the flanking component and adding the stun + off balance to the interrupt component though, just for simplicity's sake so there aren't too many different mechanics to the skill without losing out on too much power.

So, rather than "Attacking with Veiled Strike/Surprise Attack/Concealed Weapon from the flank stuns the enemy for 3 seconds and sets them Off Balance." plus "Enemies hit while casting are interrupted." , the ability would instead read "Enemies hit with Veiled Strike/Surprise Attack/Concealed Weapon while casting are interrupted, set Off Balance, and stunned for 3 seconds."

Thematically, it would match with the idea of being caught off guard by a Nightblade. In lag-ridden PVP, it could also solve the problem with getting flank-stunned by a NB when they are not visually behind you, without completely removing the ability to stun from NBs aresenal.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. I would move sneak speed boost this skill have to one of NB's shadow passives (Dark Veil for example) and replaced it with something (a single target de-buff). Interrupt could be good.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Hmmm. An interesting idea. I'd suggest removing the flanking component and adding the stun + off balance to the interrupt component though, just for simplicity's sake so there aren't too many different mechanics to the skill without losing out on too much power.

So, rather than "Attacking with Veiled Strike/Surprise Attack/Concealed Weapon from the flank stuns the enemy for 3 seconds and sets them Off Balance." plus "Enemies hit while casting are interrupted." , the ability would instead read "Enemies hit with Veiled Strike/Surprise Attack/Concealed Weapon while casting are interrupted, set Off Balance, and stunned for 3 seconds."

Thematically, it would match with the idea of being caught off guard by a Nightblade. In lag-ridden PVP, it could also solve the problem with getting flank-stunned by a NB when they are not visually behind you, without completely removing the ability to stun from NBs aresenal.
    Tbh. I would move sneak speed boost this skill have to one of NB's shadow passives (Dark Veil for example) and replaced it with something (a single target de-buff). Interrupt could be good.

to both of u. i would rather have that magblades get seperately buffed so no passives that stamina nb would benefit from otherwise we get nerfposts for NB and we magblades allways are on the receiving end of everything.

furthermore stamblade is superior to magblade. i know stamblades are also not the strongest thing out there but right now magblades are rly at the bottom and cant even compete with their stamina counterpart.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magblade needs much bigger buffs to draw parity with stamblade. Also: Adding an interrupt to a melee skill is kind of pointless. You can bash weave within the same second anyway. I'd rather magblade, and magblade alone, gets the speed buff for having chosen the Concealed Weapon morph, whether slotted or not. Having to slot Concealed and Shadowy Disguise on the same bar for the speed buff tends to result in suboptimal bar layouts.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For clarification: I wouldn't say no to your change, but if ZOS put the effort in to do this, I would want there to be no doubt that this would improveme magblade's PvP performance only by the tiniest amount. You save a little stamina.

For what it's worth, I've spammed Crushing Shock at sorcs and they still zip around, momentarily LoS and get a Dark Deal off or recast their pet. Between lag, staying on target, and you having to do stuff other than just spamming, the interrupt function isn't all that effective. There is some sense to have it on a ranged skill, so you can stop rezzes from range, but even so many people go for Force Pulse, while Venomous Arrow has only become viable (not popular, viable) with the recent nerf to Poison Injection.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Magblade needs much bigger buffs to draw parity with stamblade. Also: Adding an interrupt to a melee skill is kind of pointless. You can bash weave within the same second anyway. I'd rather magblade, and magblade alone, gets the speed buff for having chosen the Concealed Weapon morph, whether slotted or not. Having to slot Concealed and Shadowy Disguise on the same bar for the speed buff tends to result in suboptimal bar layouts.

Will end up in creating countless stam versions with dizzies and snipes.

Bash costs resources and is pain in the ass to weave. You only bash things that are dead obvious, like meditation. Some skills and ultis have 0.4-1s cast, you can't react bash that, realistically. It will randomly cancel those out. No massive gains, but an interesting gameplay feature for sure.

Straight up nerf to oblivion. This skill is nothing without instant stun+damage.
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t believe there is a single ultimate in this game you can bash interrupt. I could be wrong; but I cannot think of one.

For the Queen bby
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t believe there is a single ultimate in this game you can bash interrupt. I could be wrong; but I cannot think of one.

idk what u mean but talking about skills like snipe, dark flare, dark dealings, meditate ..... they all used alot and interruptable. it would be a pretty unique melee skill and very helpfull while bursting someone.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concealed already stuns.. What would an interrupt do to help?

You can't interrupt a CC immune target, which is what you get when weaving concealed.

Interrupt-able spammables are not commonly seen in PvP either, outside of snipe. And anyone planning to snipe you isn't going to be doing it in melee range either.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't get how this would help magblade.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use and need concealed weapon for the speed bonus.

Edited by Gilvoth on April 14, 2021 12:21AM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    i hope what your suggesting in this thread never happens.
    i pray it stays and does not change.
    if you want that change then add it somewhere else, not the concealed weapon speed morph.

pffff no. i mean on top of the speed boost.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »

You can't interrupt a CC immune target, which is what you get when weaving concealed.

Interrupt-able spammables are not commonly seen in PvP either, outside of snipe. And anyone planning to snipe you isn't going to be doing it in melee range either.

sure ive never seen dark dealings and dark flare in pvp :|
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    if you want that change then add it somewhere else, not the concealed weapon speed morph.

oh, we can keep the speed bonus?
    then i vote yes and i support your idea
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oh, we can keep the speed bonus?
    then i vote yes and i support your idea

wouldnt be a real buff without keeping the effect. magblade is on a bad spot so it needs some extras on each skill.
  • nesakinter
    nesakinter
    ✭✭✭✭

@ealdwin That would be a massive nerf to stamblade Surprise Attack. Flanking is ESO does not mean someone has to be behind you. Flanking actually also works both from sides and even diagonally front. As long as you are not in a 60 degree arc directly of someone, it register as a flank. So you actually have 300 degree of flank on someone, not just the back. You can easily test this in a dummy with abilities like camo hunter, keeping in mind front and back is reversed in dummies for simplicity while parsing.

It is also easy to the test Surprise Attack stun with a friend in a duel by comparing it with Mesmerize. Mesmerize has exactly the opposite condition of Suprise Attack in that the target must facing you, i.e. not flanked. You will realize that Surprise Attack has exactly 300° in which it works. Mesmerize works in the remaining 60°, which is very low hence unreliable.

With your idea, Surprise Attack stun will become unusable against anybody that does not use channels or cast-timed abilities, i.e. the vast majority of builds. Apart from Snipe, Dark Deal and Radiant Oppresion, no other interruptable abilities are even used in PvP widely. The last two are also used in very specific situations. Right now, stamblades don't need to equip any dedicated stun ability, which solved the bar space issue stamblade had since the Elsweyr nerfs, allowing them to equip passive buff skills like Camo Hunter, that also tie into the flanking playstyle to boost their burst damage. With your idea, stamblades will have to drop an offensive skill from their front bar to make barspace for a dedicated stun skill like Mass Hysteria, which also takes an extra second cast while dealing no damage, resulting in a massive drop in their burst damage.
    Edited by nesakinter on April 13, 2021 11:57PM
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    This just wouldn't change magblade in any meaningful way. Giving the class an interrupt in melee range gives nothing to the class. This is obviously subjective, but magblade is in an absolutely horrible place. If you need to make magblade viable, you need to address some (not all) of the classes weaknesses. Lack of a melee interrupt is not one of them.

Magblade strengths:
    * Strong Healing over Time
    * Ability to kite

Magblade Weakness:
    * No burst heals
    * Unreliable and dodgeable burst damage
    * No real damage off gcd.
    * Need to get into melee range for burst.

Magblade is great at healing soft pressure allowing you to stay offensive. But if you eat two crystal frags you have no good way to use that mag pool to heal yourself, you have to pray your shade is behind some LOS. This is a huge weakness to magblade since in OW, you're always going to be taking heavy pressure and you need that form of burst. IMO, this is magblades biggest weakness.

Magblades burst is unique compared to other classes since it's on GCD and it comes from coupling your assassin's will with your ultimate. Soulharvest is very easy to dodge as is assassin's will. That being said, I do not think this is a bad design, because it makes the class unique. I do not think this is something that should change. Every class should have limitations and this actually feels look good design (I know most other magblades disagree, but I like this).

Then you have the issue that you're a half range half melee class. Your spammables takes the damage loss from being ranged but you still need to get into melee range to do your burst combos, as well as CC. Again, I don't think this is inherently bad, it makes the class unique.

But then you need to ask, where does magblade excel? And IMO, it really doesn't. The best it can do is offset medium pressure from a single opponent. I really enjoy magblade, it's my favorite class. But there's no real reason to play magblade over another class except for my reasoning of "I like Magblade".

So my rant of the weaknesses of magblade, what would I do? I wouldn't cover any of these weaknesses directly. I would give the class barspace. There is very little diversity in magblade bars. Every front bar is essentially:
    *Soul Swallow (or Concealed for you ballers),
    *Fear
    *Grim Focus
    *Degen
    *Ele Drain (or mark)

These are all essentially must runs in OW. Only flex is moving Degen to backbar, but frankly you don't have the real estate backbar either.

I love that Major Sorcery is granted by Sap Essence. But no one is running sap outside of group play and outside of bombing. Degen is also a unimpressive dot. It'll get purged by half the classes early on, but that's fine because you only care about the buff. But now you're using an ability slot purely for Major Sorcery. Other forums of major sorcery/brutality:
    * Netch -- a purge and an amazing sustain tool.
    * Rally -- extremely strong burst heal
    * Crit/Power Surge --long duration with an very good heal attached to it
    * Igneous (AOE buff for group, Increase heavies)

Only igneous is equally as invaluable as degen (except igneous is amazing in group, but that's irrelevant).

My thoughts? Attach Major Sorcery to siphoning or Assassination skill passives similar to how Major Resolve is attached to Shadow skill passives. Something like "Casting a siphoning ability grants Major Sorcery for 4 seconds".

This now gives magblade some flex space. They can cover their weakness of no burst heals by slotting a shield and letting HoTs recover while their Shield holds (doesn't hurt class identity). Or they can slot concealed weapon as well as soul swallow or extra damage during burst combo. Or mage light for more crit chance. Freeing up an ability slot just allows for the player to select another ability to cover one of many weaknesses.

Anyways, enjoy my rant on magblades. I really don't like these posts that are suggesting to change EVERY skill they use. All we need to do is add a little flex to their kit <3
    Edited by IAmIcehouse on April 14, 2021 4:24PM
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »

sure ive never seen dark dealings and dark flare in pvp :|

See earlier in my comment about CC immune targets being immune to interrupt.

You CC a sorc and congratulations, they now have 8 seconds to dark deal without fear of being interrupted.

If a sorc needs to dark deal, there's a very good chance they're streaking to cover before dark dealing anyway, so a melee spammable CC/Interrupt is not going to help you there either.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

to both of u. i would rather have that magblades get seperately buffed so no passives that stamina nb would benefit from otherwise we get nerfposts for NB and we magblades allways are on the receiving end of everything.

furthermore stamblade is superior to magblade. i know stamblades are also not the strongest thing out there but right now magblades are rly at the bottom and cant even compete with their stamina counterpart.

Tbh. That will be kinda impossible to achieve... buffing only mag NB without doing anything that stam NB could benefit from too. I mean, you are buffing "class" toolkit. Sure, it can be something that mag NB will benefit significantly more than stam NB, but it is unavoidable to buff class skill / passive without it affecting stam builds in any way.

Also, I will never understand this stam NB "hate ?" that some mag NB players have (and vice-versa). We are all same class, so we should kinda support each other. It is just magicka aspect of NB that underperforms and needs some strong buffs.

But like I have said, it almost impossible to buff class toolkit without it affecting stam builds too, since those also use class skills. In fact, I remember running Concealed Weapon on my stamina NB in IC just to be able to move faster and maybe skip some PvP. No joke...
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh. That will be kinda impossible to achieve... buffing only mag NB without doing anything that stam NB could benefit from too. I mean, you are buffing "class" toolkit. Sure, it can be something that mag NB will benefit significantly more than stam NB, but it is unavoidable to buff class skill / passive without it affecting stam builds in any way.

Also, I will never understand this stam NB "hate ?" that some mag NB players have (and vice-versa). We are all same class, so we should kinda support each other. It is just magicka aspect of NB that underperforms and needs some strong buffs.

But like I have said, it almost impossible to buff class toolkit without it affecting stam builds too, since those also use class skills. In fact, I remember running Concealed Weapon on my stamina NB in IC just to be able to move faster and maybe skip some PvP. No joke...

we can achieve this by buffing for example concealed and crippling grasp and other skills alike.

i can tell u the reason i hate stamnb but i think every magnb has his own reasons. (for me its mostly due to how ppl confuse NB strength becouse of stamnb performance. its just way harder to play mag)
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I recently realized: Merciless and Sub Assault almost have the same tooltip.

JcXwxhD.jpg7RTYKFt.jpg

However:
    Sub Assault is:
    • an AoE
    • fires TWO times within 6seconds
    • outside of the GCD

Meanwhile Merciless:
    • is ready to fire ONCE in around 5 secs
    • is dodgeable
    • has a very loud sound cue
    • very slow travel speed
    • has to be manually fired (within GCD)

Yet people always talk about how "OP" merciless is...
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I recently realized: Merciless and Sub Assault almost have the same tooltip.

JcXwxhD.jpg7RTYKFt.jpg

However:
    Sub Assault is:
    • an AoE
    • outside of the GCD

Meanwhile Merciless:
    • is dodgeable
    • very slow travel speed

You cannot go by the tooltips, because there are other factors in play.
    Medium armor and Evasion will both negate a good portion of Sub Assault, and it is heavily telegraphed/predictable.
    20% From evasion and up to 14% from medium armor.
    *Medium is meta for stam and stam is meta for pvp

Your criticisms of Merciless were once true but the travel time is significantly faster and harder to avoid than Sub Assault.
    Edited by Canned_Apples on April 17, 2021 11:54PM
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

JcXwxhD.jpg7RTYKFt.jpg

However:
    Sub Assault is:
    • an AoE
    • outside of the GCD

Meanwhile Merciless:
    • is dodgeable
    • very slow travel speed

Medium armor and Evasion will both negate a good portion of Sub Assault, and it is heavily telegraphed/predictable.

Your criticisms of Merciless were once true but the travel time is significantly faster and harder to avoid than Sub Assault.

Sub Assault isnt heavily telegraphed at all...
    Merciless travel time wasnt changed lmao ?
    Are you saying Merciless a skill that can be literally dodged (100% dmg mitigation), has a sound cue and a very slow travel speed is harder to avoid than Sub Assault an semi spammable AoE with a very wide radius and 20m range? Are we playing the same game?

While yes Shuffle is 20% mitigation not everbody uses the skill or has access to it (Light Armor users), even then Sub Assault does 8,5k tooltip dmg in 6secs meanwhile Merciless only does half of it in the same time + its dodgable.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

JcXwxhD.jpg7RTYKFt.jpg

However:
    Sub Assault is:
    • an AoE
    • outside of the GCD

Meanwhile Merciless:
    • is dodgeable
    • very slow travel speed

Are you saying Merciless a skill that can be literally dodged (100% dmg mitigation), has a sound cue and a very slow travel speed is harder to avoid than Sub Assault an semi spammable AoE with a very wide radius and 20m range? Are we playing the same game?

While yes Shuffle is 20% mitigation not everbody uses the skill or has access to it (Light Armor users), even then Sub Assault does 8,5k tooltip dmg in 6secs meanwhile Merciless only does half of it in the same time + its dodgable.

u forgot a key factor. merciless is a projectile. that means there are plenty skills that will negate or mitigate it the argument with mitigation cant be taken serious. especially back in the day on dk wings u would get merciless right back into ur face.
    Edited by Noctus on April 18, 2021 3:53AM
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭

JcXwxhD.jpg7RTYKFt.jpg

However:
    Sub Assault is:
    • an AoE
    • outside of the GCD

Meanwhile Merciless:
    • is dodgeable
    • very slow travel speed

Not even going to bother.
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

JcXwxhD.jpg7RTYKFt.jpg

However:
    Sub Assault is:
    • an AoE
    • outside of the GCD

Meanwhile Merciless:
    • is dodgeable
    • very slow travel speed

Not even going to bother.

Thanks! Wouldve loved to hear you try to rationalize it tho.