Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Login from unknown IP Address

TwinLamps
TwinLamps
✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone else getting this every few weeks or so?
I must say I am pretty tired of it.
Having 5 accounts make me log in 5 different e-mails every single time.
I use same IP address as always, I dont have VPN or anything that would hide or change my IP Address at any point.
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on April 15, 2021 1:32PM
Awake, but at what cost
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every 3 to 10 days would be normal if your ISP uses dynamic IP addesses (IPv4)

You may be able to purchase a static IP of them, or eventually the whole world will go Ipv6!
    Edited by Gythral on April 14, 2021 3:29PM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TwinLamps wrote: »
    Anyone else getting this every few weeks or so?
    I must say I am pretty tired of it.
    Having 5 accounts make me log in 5 different e-mails every single time.
    I use same IP address as always, I dont have VPN or anything that would hide or change my IP Address at any point.

That is your isp, my previous one changed my ip once every 14 days. (spectrum)
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This also happens if you login on a different machine, or even another OS on the same machine. I regularly swap back and forth from Windows to Linux as I dual-boot, I always get that prompt if I play on Windows after playing on Linux or vice-versa. What I find interesting is it says login from a different IP address, which for me is never the case since I pay to have my home IP be static.

I have also noticed using a VPN (or IP change in general) does *not* necessarily trigger this every time; I can give an example last week when I was testing a new VPN service, my IP had changed drastically at least 10 different times while connecting to different VPN servers; ESO never once asked me for a verification code. It seems more random with the IP address topic, even though the ESO dialog says a login from another IP -- the caption is misleading imho.

Maybe there is also a mechanism that ZOS employs as a security measure at random from time-to-time to have users re-verify their account login.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it logging into the game at all - but logging into my accounts through the browser, it happens every time. Seriously annoying.
  • Dominion_Nightblade
    Gythral wrote: »
    Every 3 to 10 days would be normal if your ISP uses dynamic IP addesses (IPv4)

You may be able to purchase a static IP of them, or eventually the whole world will go Ipv6!

While it makes perfect sense that the reason for unknown ip is dynamic ip addressing from the ISP, it may not always be the case. I have a dynamic ip wan address from comcast Xfinity that has a lease of 3 days. But I've rarely ever gotten the unknown ip message. Also, with the use of network address translation and privatized ipv4 addressing it will be a very long time before we use ipv6 by default. Lol, your average Joe trying to setup a ipv6 network will be quite difficult so they are doing everything they can to avoid it.
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. Not frequently.
    Now I know why.

Comcast Cable here.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Path wrote: »
    Now I know why.

Comcast Cable here.

*** Comcast lol, they rival spectrum as top tier worst
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    HELP. Send the email. I'm sitting at a login screen on PC/EU and no email with no code.
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, got one yesterday evening and another just now. There's something fishy going on....
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously. Then it says I can't log in with that code.

Probably because it takes 10 minutes to get it.

PLEASE FIX THIS NOW. The event is ending.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I appreciate the extra security but I would rather they used a different kind of 2FA.

Something that generates the code 'on my side' (a proprietary generator like Blizzard uses if they don't want to use technology from a third party company would do me fine) rather than holding me hostage until the email arrives if it happens to arrive at all.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    Path wrote: »
    Now I know why.

Comcast Cable here.

*** Comcast lol, they rival spectrum as top tier worst

The ol story of comcast and spectrum yet again.... Can anyone explain why the US has such *** yet ultra expensive Internet?

Here in Europe where I live it's reliable, fast, unlimited and cheap AF... Kinda weird 🤨
  • Lady_Ems
    Lady_Ems
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to my husband and I today. He is actually locked out of his acct. right now. Mine was fairly straightforward. Go to the email and put the code it and I'm good.

He on the other hand. He has 2 accts and every time he tries to switch accts he gets a new email. On one of the acct, it says this code is wrong. Did the copy and paste and typing it in and was still saying it's wrong. So it locked him out of his second acct. for 10 minutes. He went to log into his main acct and gets that same thing log in from an unknown IP. event tho he literally just logged off of it 5 minutes earlier. Put his password in and it said the wrong password and locked him out of it for 10 minutes as well.

All I know for a fact is my computer updated yesterday which is why I figured the need to confirm BUT him on the other hand. No clue what is happening.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Agalloch
    Agalloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many MMOs use this.

It's ok.

Me and my wife have 4 accounts..and Ip was dynamic.

One year ago we made a request to our ISP to change the IP in a static one.

Problem solved.
  • Lady_Ems
    Lady_Ems
    ✭✭✭
    We just went to static IP maybe 2 weeks ago
    Agalloch wrote: »
    Many MMOs use this.

It's ok.

Me and my wife have 4 accounts..and Ip was dynamic.

One year ago we made a request to our ISP to change the IP in a static one.

Problem solved.

• Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    This is the same computer I've used for years.

There's no reason to be asked this.

I only play this game on THIS computer.
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey folks,

Please be aware that hardware changes and some software updates can trigger a request for an activation code when logging in.

If you have any trouble getting the code, we recommend the steps in this article.

The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    I appreciate the extra security but I would rather they used a different kind of 2FA.

Something that generates the code 'on my side' (a proprietary generator like Blizzard uses if they don't want to use technology from a third party company would do me fine) rather than holding me hostage until the email arrives if it happens to arrive at all.

Me too. It is much easier to use an authenticator app. Bethesda is already using this, so it is just a matter of someone at ZOS doing the work. Unless they are forced to do it, my guess is "when the Deadlands freeze over" is about when they will finally get around to it.
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    The ol story of comcast and spectrum yet again.... Can anyone explain why the US has such *** yet ultra expensive Internet?

Here in Europe where I live it's reliable, fast, unlimited and cheap AF... Kinda weird 🤨

I have used what is now Spectrum broadband for a very long time. Decades. So far, they are reliable, unlimited, and my IP address rarely (if ever) changes. It is not fast, by EU standards, but then most people have bandwidth that they never use, so mileage may vary, so to speak. Not really cheap, though.

I do have fiber at the street, but the odd thing about that is that it is not much faster, costs more, and is not unlimited.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 15, 2021 2:10PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus