The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Lagden - Discussion of classes at high ping

KamoChameleon
KamoChameleon
✭✭✭
As most Australians/New Zealanders know playing at 450 ping requires a unique skill set. I have lived in NA and moved back to NZ a long time ago. AT the time I played as a healer (in pve and pvp) and the first thing I realised is you needed to focus on proactive healing vs reactive healing at high ping. In other words, rather than healing someone once they took damage, you needed to read the battlefield and place HOTS and shields on the player beforehand. Luckily, that was kind of my play style anyway. But in terms of dps in ESO I feel it’s the same concept. You need to be able to use skills that are going to go off even if the target is out of your range (but in your range on your screen) and have defensive skills you can apply proactively.

I have tried all classes and come to the conclusion that warden is hands down the best class for this.

Proactive Healing: With arctic blast and vigor you can place hots on yourself before you think you will take damage and then if you do lag out or freeze the heals are still coming in.

Mobility: I run steed mundus with swift on jewellery. This helps massively as it means when you are on a target they cannot run out of your range both on your screen and theirs.

Damage: Despite going for steed mundus I find I have a lot of burst and sustain on warden. With beetles, dizzy swing and dawn breaker you will be able to decimate most opponents and those that you don’t will be so tanky anyway they hit like wet noodles. The main thing is that these skills are able to be be predictively applied. You can guess where the enemy will be in 3s and then apply the AOE on them there. Because they are AOE and have a largish range they are also very likely to hit. It doesn’t require your target to be in your hit range to cast those skills which is key.

I’ve tried all the classes and Warden is hands down the best imo. It’s a super strong class obviously, but also lends qualities that make it strong in lag. I have tried other classes here are my opinions.

Templar: I thought this would be really good because of the long AOE but just seems to miss half the jab attacks even when they are standing in front of you. Also, they are pretty squishy and rely on reactive healing so it can be hard to get off your back bar in a fight, and when you lag out, you’re really in trouble.

Dragonknight: I actually found the MagDK to be very good in lag. In fact I barely noticed it. The ability to lock your opponent down with a skill that is unblockable and undodgeable obviously helps with the running away part. Heals are great. Honestly this would be my second choice it’s just not mobile and tends to get bogged down in open world 1 v X. StamDk I didn’t really try too much. I have tried it and had more success on MagDK.

Nightblade: Sigh. I love love love this class and it’s playstyle. In terms of not dying it is amazing as long as you use your shade (especially in this patch) and don’t solely rely on cloak. The two major issues are a) getting your attacks off and b) getting caught out. Getting caught out is bad enough on a stamblade but with lag it happens somewhat frequently. In 1 v X situations that happens almost all the time. That was ok though and with shade I could usually get away safely even when that did happen BUT getting surprise attack off is just impossible. I can literally be right on my opponent trying to cast surprise attack and it just hits air even though they literally are in front of you ( on your screen).

Sorceror: THe stam sorc I found had the same issues as the nightblade. Easy to kite but if you get caught out your kind of squishy and can die pretty quickly. Also your burst relies on you hitting your opponent not like the predictive attacks of the Warden. MagSorc is good in terms of getting attacks off but my friend has massive issues bar swapping and applying shields so again can run into big problems on that front.

Necro: Necro is good. I guess this should be similar to the warden. I just didn’t like it. It lacked mobility, and even though it was super tanky, I just found it lacked the ability to get out of trouble, and lacked the burst heal to get yourself back up when you do lag out and get low on health because someone is attacking you. Also, blast bones is not too predictive. It’s great in the open but you can’t run behind a wall and cast it before the opponent appears - and that is pretty critical I find on the warden.

Anyway my 2 cents. Comment please I’d love to hear other peoples experiences. Probably make a video about it soon based on that. Here is a video of me playing the warden at high ping. I’ve only played it a couple of days so far but it’s hands down better than any other class I’ve tried.

https://youtu.be/UUmzP-hg9FY

Edited by KamoChameleon on April 13, 2021 2:39AM
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be a true and balanced evaluation of the situation.
    Edited by Thraben on April 14, 2021 5:05AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing this info
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The first year and a half living in Northern Alaska, the only internet connection we had available was satellite with an average ping of 630ms, so I feel your pain. Playing ESO was almost impossible, WoW was a little more manageable but was still a struggle. CSGO, well..forget about it...matchmaking was impossible, deranking from MGE all the way to silver....I was stuck in silver hell because of it.

Sub-sea fiber was finally installed up there, and while it was still not the best connection due to routing, my ping was more in the 120ms range...ESO was pretty playable, same with WoW. I was able to finally get back into the MG bracket in CSGO. But now I'm back in Cali with a gigabit connection so my ping to ESO's megaserver is more in the 75ms range.
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What

Subterranean hits 20meters

My engulfing flame 10meters ‘cone’ is not reliable even in 83ms ping.

One of my friends play in Macau SAR with 300ms ping as stam necro/den n he’s doing just fine.

Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mDK good in high ping? Power lash/3x Molten whip animation simply don’t proc under high ping.

Cmon bro.
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC Immunity is like 7 seconds, before a CC immunity ends a Stam or even mag can do a strong hot or shields just to get ready to negate ‘OP’ fossilize lock n burst. Jeez...

I don’t really think slaying couple CP <1000 squishy NB could be an achievement then I’d say a class/playstyle is okay.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on April 14, 2021 10:43PM