The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Horribly inconsistent experience

Meurto
Meurto
✭✭✭
I just returned after being away from the game for a couple of years and some how the pvp experience seems to have gotten even worse. Before I start I would like to leave a positive note that I absolutely love no proc Cyrodiil and hope to see this stay around permanently. Now onto the bad....

Break Free - It seems impossible to activate this ability most of the time. My character just sits there on all fours with plenty of stamina unable to do anything. I am not sure if it is the type of CC used, but I have noticed that any type of fear seems to cause break free to fail almost 100% of the time. Werewolf howl and NB mass hysteria are good examples of this. Stuns seem to be more random in the resulting behavior of break free. Sometimes break free works after a second or two and other times it just seems to fail. This is probably my biggest complaint and the most frustrating part of my pvp experience since returning.

Attacks Landing During Dodge Role - This seems to be occurring much less frequently than the break free issue, but there are times where single target attacks are landing in the middle of a dodge role. Unfortunately I do not have any footage of this and would really like to hear from others to see if they are also experiencing this.

Gap Closers - I never have a lot of confidence if my gap closer is actually going to land or not and really have no clue what causes it to fail. Sometimes I try to use it and nothing happens or other times I start the animation and then it just fails. It is as though I don't actually have LOS on my target for some reason, but they are clearly within range and visible. I actually had a DK use shield charge on me while I was on a ledge overlooking a fight in a BG where they had no clear path to me. They just warped up to where I was and the pathing was quite strange as they just suddenly appeared next to me. I will admit this is the only time I have seen something like this happen.

Melee Desync? - I am not sure what to call this so I will try to describe what is happening as best as I can. I am right on top of someone and no matter how many times I try to land an attack the animation just fails and nothing happens. It is as though I am actually much further away from my target than the client thinks I am. Inversely, I have also had melee attacks land on me from what seems like 20+ feet away so I imagine this is the same sort of issue.

I would like to hear from other players to see if they are having similar experiences as I am or even if they notice other issues. I think of all the issues I have listed the break free issue is by far the most frustrating. I have been on both ends of this so I know other players are also seeing it fail. Also, before I forget my ping is usually around 70-90 and remains pretty consistent. Hope to hear from some of you other players.

Cheers.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meurto wrote: »
    Gap Closers - I never have a lot of confidence if my gap closer is actually going to land or not and really have no clue what causes it to fail. Sometimes I try to use it and nothing happens or other times I start the animation and then it just fails. It is as though I don't actually have LOS on my target for some reason, but they are clearly within range and visible. I actually had a DK use shield charge on me while I was on a ledge overlooking a fight in a BG where they had no clear path to me. They just warped up to where I was and the pathing was quite strange as they just suddenly appeared next to me. I will admit this is the only time I have seen something like this happen.

ur using the teleportation ability as gapcloser as nightblade ? becouse that ability usually has that kind of problems
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything works better in BGs (including 95% of sets, lol)
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just returned after being away from the game for a couple of years and some how the pvp experience seems to have gotten even worse. Before I start I would like to leave a positive note that I absolutely love no proc Cyrodiil and hope to see this stay around permanently. Now onto the bad....

Break Free - It seems impossible to activate this ability most of the time. My character just sits there on all fours with plenty of stamina unable to do anything. I am not sure if it is the type of CC used, but I have noticed that any type of fear seems to cause break free to fail almost 100% of the time. Werewolf howl and NB mass hysteria are good examples of this. Stuns seem to be more random in the resulting behavior of break free. Sometimes break free works after a second or two and other times it just seems to fail. This is probably my biggest complaint and the most frustrating part of my pvp experience since returning.

Attacks Landing During Dodge Role - This seems to be occurring much less frequently than the break free issue, but there are times where single target attacks are landing in the middle of a dodge role. Unfortunately I do not have any footage of this and would really like to hear from others to see if they are also experiencing this.

Melee Desync? - I am not sure what to call this so I will try to describe what is happening as best as I can. I am right on top of someone and no matter how many times I try to land an attack the animation just fails and nothing happens. It is as though I am actually much further away from my target than the client thinks I am. Inversely, I have also had melee attacks land on me from what seems like 20+ feet away so I imagine this is the same sort of issue.

I would like to hear from other players to see if they are having similar experiences as I am or even if they notice other issues. I think of all the issues I have listed the break free issue is by far the most frustrating. I have been on both ends of this so I know other players are also seeing it fail. Also, before I forget my ping is usually around 70-90 and remains pretty consistent. Hope to hear from some of you other players.

Cheers.

This seems to be a fairly accurate description of the current state of PvP. In addition to all of the items mentioned above, I would add the complete failure of dodge to activate. Frequently in larger fights, I'll be able to move, but if I attempt to dodge roll, my character just stutters and spasms until I die to whatever thing I was trying to escape.

Oh, let's also not forget all abilities disabled for 10 seconds after a successful dodge or break free. Need to dodge roll into a vigor? Forget it.
    Edited by danthemann5 on March 23, 2021 3:43PM
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI ... spending 50 points into the free break free CP passive will be mandatory at some point. People aren’t even slotting it and one guy told me it was a “noob skill”.

Maybe it is. You should still be using it.

Also, beams can hit during roll dodges.
  • Meurto
    Meurto
    ✭✭✭
    FYI ... spending 50 points into the free break free CP passive will be mandatory at some point. People aren’t even slotting it and one guy told me it was a “noob skill”.

Maybe it is. You should still be using it.

Also, beams can hit during roll dodges.

I usually play no cp so it wouldn't do me any good, but I am aware of the new slottable passive you are referring to. I may actually try cp Cyrodiil just to see if it works immediately or also has a long delay or fails altogether.

I should have mentioned that the abilities that I have seen land while dodging have been reverse slice and surprise attack. There are others, but these two seem to be the ones that happen most often.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of what you are describing is a part of the position desync.

You're being hit during dodge roll because you actually had those abilities being registered prior to your dodge roll.

You cant gap close when you think you should because the enemy is actually further away than it shows them.

Position issues are easily seen when two players are actually playing next to each other with two screens. One will actually be far from what the other screen shows.

The CC issues are something else and have experienced them too.

Edit: a lot of PvP is no longer reacting based on visual ques; its more muscle memory of what im supposed to do because nothin on the screen is actually accurate. By the time you see an ability its typically far too late to actually do anything about it.
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 23, 2021 9:47PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    They changed a lot of stuff over from client side to server side calculations a while back, IIRC, and it's been like this ever since.

Lag and desync has always required you to play one step ahead in this game, but nowadays it's more like you just have to play by pure psychic intuition.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: a lot of PvP is no longer reacting based on visual ques; its more muscle memory of what im supposed to do because nothin on the screen is actually accurate. By the time you see an ability its typically far too late to actually do anything about it.
    Sad but one hundred percent true.

• Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes this is very annoying in particulaur you play a toon for which it is crucial to get away from large damage quickly. Trying to break free using two-button mouse as default is clunky and not working at all.

This bugged behavior is also the primary reason ball groups opening with a stun on you and lagging you to death even if you have full resouces left.

My temp solution was to bind a key to break free which seems to be working more reliable for whatever reason...

I can not count how often I died because of this. What I suspect is that this is caused by lag in combination with a bad programming priority server-wise of what should be registered first. Needs a fix from those responsible.

• regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers.

Lol it's just a terrible game. I'm surprised people aren't realizing this.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    regime211 wrote: »

Cheers.

As an Xbox player I'm like: compared to what?

Black Desert, Bless Unleashed, Neverwinter, and... I think I'm forgettng one (ive played all of them) are the only MMOs that are fantasy and have some form of PvP.

Elder Scrolls is a better game than those (realistically)

Then you even have major screw jobs like Anthem. Older Xboxs are screwed for games like Cyberpunk.

So... In xbox world there is like 0 competiton
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers.

Black Desert, Bless Unleashed, Neverwinter, and... I think I'm forgettng one (ive played all of them) are the only MMOs that are fantasy and have some form of PvP.

Then you even have major screw jobs like Anthem. Older Xboxs are screwed for games like Cyberpunk.

Imagine dealing with a game for years, with the same bugs, same imbalances. It literally is just a copy and paste of itself every new patch that drops with new cosmetics, a few minor adjustments here and there, with at most every now and then major adjustments, which overall still leaves us with the same issues we have had for years. So in my opinion the game is just terrible. And at least with the MMO's you mention you can actually play the game without having performance issues like ESO which they clearly can't fix.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really do have to play about a couple seconds ahead of whatever you actually see on your screen.

Good thing they added cast times to some ults for more chance for counterplay lol
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of what you are describing is a part of the position desync.

You're being hit during dodge roll because you actually had those abilities being registered prior to your dodge roll.

You cant gap close when you think you should because the enemy is actually further away than it shows them.

Position issues are easily seen when two players are actually playing next to each other with two screens. One will actually be far from what the other screen shows.

The CC issues are something else and have experienced them too.

I play with my wife. She sits off my right side facing away from me when we play. She can look over her shoulder and sees my screen and vice versa. I can verify this happens in open world PVE. In one bad case on my screen i am riding my horse and on her screen i am running on the ground with no horse visible. But sometimes the differences between my position on my screen and on hers will be 2-3 meters and it may take 1-3 seconds of doing nothing for it to sync to the right positions.

All of this is with FPS in the 40-80 range and pings <120 on both computers.
    Edited by ThorianB on March 29, 2021 4:21AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers.

Imagine dealing with a game for years, with the same bugs, same imbalances. It literally is just a copy and paste of itself every new patch that drops with new cosmetics, a few minor adjustments here and there, with at most every now and then major adjustments, which overall still leaves us with the same issues we have had for years. So in my opinion the game is just terrible. And at least with the MMO's you mention you can actually play the game without having performance issues like ESO which they clearly can't fix.

Youve described like every game I mentioned.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then there's the no stam regen thats happening more and more.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers.

@Waffennacht Oh, you’re an Xbox player as well? Nice! EU or NA?

(Sorry that I hijacked this thread, but I bumped it again - and I experience most of these issues as well on Xbox EU)
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 6, 2021 11:14AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • forzajuve212
    forzajuve212
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about casting abilities, consuming your resource, but the ability doesn't go off? This happens half the time with fossilize.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about casting abilities, consuming your resource, but the ability doesn't go off? This happens half the time with fossilize.

And lotus fan, and whirling blade and every ultimate I try to cast.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I can confirm every problem the OP is talking about in PC/NA. It is a complete mess and I would go further half the skills don't register at all and when they finally do it isn't correct. For instant I can't tell you how many times I pushed button to do silver leash to pull a enemy from hiding inside a group of team mates (which is one of the only ways to kill anyone in this meta). And after pushing button 5-10 times pulling over a pet or the tankiest dude, who can just sit there with block casting heals until the rest of his group come over. BGs is a complete disaster right now.

Everyone blames people for using proc sets as being less skill but when you have to push a skill 5 times to get it to go off, having a proc set that you can actually see going off is best you can hope for. I have tried PVP with keyboard/mouse and I can say without question many things work much better (roll, Ult, LA), but I am so slow on KB/M, I really need to use controller which is absolutely slower to use and has massive glitches. And almost unplayable against good KB/M players. Mind you I don't use high end, state of the art gear, just cheap KB/M and controller and there is a huge difference in PVP.

I mostly do PVE though, and there has always been a little slowness in popping an Ult on controller, like having to push it 2 times, unlike PVP where I can push it 5 times and be dead before it can go off. But I have never noticed a problem with most other skills in PVE, until recently. I used to be able to just pull adds from across a room with silver leash and lately I am noticing it being much harder to target them or having to push skill multiple times and it has cost me my life a couple times when a boss hits me on the head while I'm trying to pull mobs in. Whatever they are doing to pulls, gap closers to make it harder in PVP is starting to effect PVE and hope they stop doing this soon. I'd rather have them eliminate skills from PVP rather than continue nerfing them for PVE.

Sorry one more thing, I have always had trouble rolling in PVP with controller, but never in PVE but lately also on some boss fights when I have tried the 1,2,3,roll (like xynode does) it was more like 1,2,3, NO roll and I almost died several times, and I can only say I didn't die because of ZOS nerfing 1 shot damage of bosses in normal DLC dungeons (which is quite noticeable and makes them much easier).
    Edited by Merforum on April 12, 2021 9:38PM
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    Crash427 wrote: »
    You really do have to play about a couple seconds ahead of whatever you actually see on your screen.

Good thing they added cast times to some ults for more chance for counterplay lol

at least were all getting 1000+ abnur tharn style pages for the games 7th birthday
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its the only game I've played where performance gets worse every patch. Literally 90% of my deaths in Cyro & Ic are because of lag and bugs.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite example of positional lag is when enemies are just running from you and dodge everything because the server calculations aren't accurate.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr