Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lore on unicorns, Dwarfs and mermaids.

Sega4life
Sega4life
✭✭
I haven’t played eso that long, like some fans have! This game has been around long before it has even been an online game. Does anyone know what happened to Dwarfs, unicorns and mermaids? Do you think eso would bring these creatures back to the game like dragons? Anyone know the history on these creatures? Did mermaids even exist in this world? I think I love this game!!! Lol
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorns - check out Hircine's quest in TES IV Oblivion and https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Unicorn

Dwarfs...well, in the Elder Scrolls, even the dwarfs are elves. TES dwarfs are the Dwemer, and there's a ton of lore on them. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dwemer

Mermaids? There's a mermaid statue in Anvil, and we know Nereids exist. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Mysterious_Mermaid_of_Anvil
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bestiary_M#Mermaid
    Edited by VaranisArano on April 3, 2021 1:57PM
  • Sega4life
    Sega4life
    ✭✭
    Omg!!! I love this!!! Thank you 😊
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never knew about the mermaid, thanks :)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the non-mobile version of the links Veranis gave take the "m" out so it reads //en.uesp

While we never really see any unicorns in ESO there are Indriks which are nature spirits that are kind of like Spriggans, but they're native to Nirn instead of the Hunting Grounds. In the March of Sacrifices dungeon where we go to the Hunting Grounds to participate in one of Hircine's hunts we go after an Indrik instead of a Unicorn.
    Edited by Vevvev on April 3, 2021 5:50PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    If you want the non-mobile version of the links Veranis gave take the "m" out so it reads //en.uesp

While we never really see any unicorns in ESO there are Indriks which are nature spirits that are kind of like Spriggans, but they're native to Nirn instead of the Hunting Grounds. In the March of Sacrifices dungeon where we go to the Hunting Grounds to participate in one of Hircine's hunts we go after an Indrik instead of a Unicorn.

Ah, I never noticed that about those links. Thanks!
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭
    Sega4life wrote: »
    I haven’t played eso that long, like some fans have! This game has been around long before it has even been an online game. Does anyone know what happened to Dwarfs, unicorns and mermaids? Do you think eso would bring these creatures back to the game like dragons? Anyone know the history on these creatures? Did mermaids even exist in this world? I think I love this game!!! Lol

Dwarfs aren't actually dwarfs but elves. And they will never be brought back into ESO (unless we meet a certain character) as Bethesda and Todd specifically doesn't want to bring them back or reveal what happened, ever.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Ah, I never noticed that about those links. Thanks!

You're welcome! I discovered it a month or so back and wondered why my desktop was showing mobile stuff lol.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    Is the plural for dwarves in ESO dwarfs or something? Or does no one care to use the right plural?
    they/them/theirs
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I think about dwarfs as mythological beings that appear, for example in the Nibelung legend, I always have to remember that in Central Europe it has been proven that children worked in the mines in the first millennium BC and the whole idea of the dwarfs, of the small creatures working under the earth in the mines, may be originally related to that. So, I think the Dwemer idea is much more pleasing.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the plural for dwarves in ESO dwarfs or something? Or does no one care to use the right plural?

Fun fact. The "correct" plural for dwarf IS dwarfs, their things are dwarfen. We've all been influenced by a single author's choice.

The great JR Tolkien deliberately changed it in the Hobbit (maybe to follow the elf/elves/elven convention). His editor repeatedly challenged this, and in a ballsy move Tolkien bragged "I wrote the english dictionary!" (he worked on it, and Tolkien is about as big a word nerd as ever lived).
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on April 5, 2021 9:31AM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »

Fun fact. The "correct" plural for dwarf IS dwarfs, their things are dwarfen. We've all been influenced by a single author's choice.

The great JR Tolkien deliberately changed it in the Hobbit (maybe to follow the elf/elves/elven convention). His editor repeatedly challenged this, and in a ballsy move Tolkien bragged "I wrote the english dictionary!" (he worked on it, and Tolkien is about as big a word nerd as ever lived).

Crap I didn't know that. I just never see it spelled any other way normally. Well, thanks.
    they/them/theirs
  • Aramithius
    Aramithius
    ✭✭
    All three of these exist in various ways, as said. The only one that we'll never see "come back" as such are the Dwemer (dwarves). They disappeared almost 3,000 years before the events of ESO, and they've not appeared in games set after ESO except as ghosts and in one specific instance. Exactly where they went is technically a mystery, but I think we've got a reasonable idea about what's most likely to have happened to them.
    Host of the Written in Uncertainty podcast, and regular participant in the Selectives Lorecast.
    Officer of the PC-EU chapter of the Loreseekers guild.