Damage Shield Nerf

Jsmalls
Jsmalls
✭✭✭✭✭
I was trying to do the math, and it's not looking good... Disclaimer Im not on PTS because I'm a console pleb, so I'm strictly calculating things out from information posted.

Current status of nerfs to damage shields...
1. Base spell/weapon damage increase:
This increase damage done and healing done, but leaves magicka damage shields behind as people will now hit and heal harder, but your shield isn't absorbing extra damage because it's calculated off Max magicka.
2. Bastion nerf:
Generally those running bastion would soft cap it at the 21% marker where any additional points would be better spent elsewhere. We are now capped at 15% so a 6% loss.
3. Max stat sets for magicka (and stamina and health) were inadvertently nerfed. We're now missing the 20% bonus from champion points that applied to max stat bonuses on gear. So for example If I ran crafty alfiq, trainee, a monster piece for magicka, ancient grace, the mage mundus, and magicka food totaling ~20000 base stats with a 20% increase giving 4000 magicka, I'm now losing that 4000 stat bonuses from wearing those sets.
4. Light armor recieves extra damage recieved by martial attacks:
The only real viable way for damage shields to work is now recieving penalties for wearing it.

That seems like a lot of negatives to add to a core defensive mechanic in one patch, especially one that currently isn't over performing....

Can anyone influence me otherwise? Please? Tell me it's not that bad.

Because mathematically it sounds awful.
  • Xargas13
    Xargas13
    ✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    4. Light armor recieves extra damage recieved by martial attacks

This is I most afraid of, because light armor is already behind in defense, why make it squishier is beyond me. Damage shield not being buffed is the other, but other's don't concern me much. Especially max stat increase sets, since I think they were horrible already and I'm not wearing them, because in PvP your magicka is greatly reduced already, for me it makes more sense to invest in spell power then max stat. Was wearing necropotence, but tried spell dmg set and was pleasantly surprised.

What worries me is that they are moving even further with burst. I think this game has enough burst as some players die in two shots, except heavy armor users, which only brings more people to heavy armor.

I'm hopeful for this patch though as it nerfs heavy also, so maybe it won't be so bad, just have to wait and see.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Umm, so don't do a mag build for solo or small group pvp for U29?

I assume this is pvp related, because it doesn't matter at all in pve or in zerg/ball group pvp.

• spacebandit
    spacebandit
    ✭✭✭
    I tried out the magic shield of the light armor and sorc. They didn’t reach the 50% or 60 % of health unless I slotted bastion but I was seeing 10-12k shields. Which is higher than my shields now which cap around 7k.

Maybe I’ve always done shields wrong but to me it looks like a buff. I don’t know how it’s going to go with the increased physical damage taken. I already get the crap whacked out of me in difficult solo content.

I’ve actually decided to go all stamina toons and medium armor because the negative effects are too much I think.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka doesnt go up but our health does, so shields aren't cut by cap anymore. So shields are slightly higher than we currently have, also people has a bit of innate damage reduction. The feeling of protection from shields should roughly stay the same.
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @spacebandit

7k in PvP or PvE? 7k in PvP wouldn't be worth the bar slot and gcd to cast. If it's for PvE then most coordinates endgame groups shouldn't have a damage shield (as dps) on their bar anyways.

@robpr

I'm speaking on behalf of PvP, just to clarify.
    I can't speak for everyone but the shield cap never affected me. 60% of your health and having 24k health is easy in PvP. So that's a 14.5k damage shield cap. Which I believe I'm right around.

A 10k shield is not really all that viable, at least with procs giving free damage it isn't...

Time will tell when console drops proc sets.

@katorga

Are you suggesting to drop one of the core defensive mechanics for a couple classes? I mean sure I can roll stamina, not really the point though.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty, shields have been wonky on console and this thread helps a bit in knowing wtf is going on
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Revokus
    Revokus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make damage shields scale with spell damage too for starter so that classes other than magsorcs could use them when focusing spell damage instead of max magicka.
    Edited by Revokus on March 9, 2021 6:36PM
    Playing since January 23, 2016
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xargas13 wrote: »

This is I most afraid of, because light armor is already behind in defense, why make it squishier is beyond me. Damage shield not being buffed is the other, but other's don't concern me much. Especially max stat increase sets, since I think they were horrible already and I'm not wearing them, because in PvP your magicka is greatly reduced already, for me it makes more sense to invest in spell power then max stat. Was wearing necropotence, but tried spell dmg set and was pleasantly surprised.

What worries me is that they are moving even further with burst. I think this game has enough burst as some players die in two shots, except heavy armor users, which only brings more people to heavy armor.

I'm hopeful for this patch though as it nerfs heavy also, so maybe it won't be so bad, just have to wait and see.

light armor makes you squishier than running naked.. some real game design concept right there...
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

I assume this is pvp related, because it doesn't matter at all in pve or in zerg/ball group pvp.

I was dueling and my shield stacking (2) held up against pressure, even negating the severity from incoming proc set damage. I could stalemate a fight hovering right over resource management issues.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot the changes to battle spirit. Damage debuff was reduced.

At the same time heals got their debuff reduced from 60% to 50% thus effectively increasing heal size by 25%.

No such adjustments were made for shields.

And that is on top of what you mentioned above.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xargas13 wrote: »

2h execution was already so fun
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Sangwyne
    Sangwyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

@katorga

Are you suggesting to drop one of the core defensive mechanics for a couple classes? I mean sure I can roll stamina, not really the point though.

"No, you can't wear Heavy armor for overland content and quests, you need to swap to Medium/Light in order to be viable"

"No, Heavy armor shouldn't be viable for PvP either, only Light/Medium armor builds should be played there" (Last patch)

"No, you can't wear Light armor/use shields in PvP either, you need to swap to a Stamina build to be effective" (You are here)

"No, you can't use bows/daggers/anything other than 2H Stamina builds in PvP, nothing else should be viable" (2022?)

PvP players will never just be satisfied with their build being the meta, they want to see yours nerfed too. The meta has been Stamina-only in PvP for a while (unless you're a Sorc lol) and is moving even further in that direction; Medium armor was the only armor type without penalties, and somehow Stamina users get to have their cake and eat everyone else's too.
    Edited by Sangwyne on March 10, 2021 1:59AM
  • sweatapodimas
    sweatapodimas
    ✭✭✭
    PVP:

Let me preface this by saying, I main a magblade and use shields.

Simply put, I love any nerf to shields. Im tired of them being a crutch for lazy players in PVP. Shield-stacking is a clear indication of this laziness, and now ppl want ONE shield to be stronger.

Why? So you can eat a sandwich while pvping, come on man!? lol

I think damage is better than I was anticipating with this patch. I still dont like the damage mitigation/damage-strength meta that runs around with procs.

Point is, you got to die sometime to learn how to play skillfully, stop being so afraid of a game. Otherwise the game continues without a progression. I see more new players in BGs (CP <300) just dominate using full procs and the SAME @#$% builds, Oy vey! It gets boring at some point, and they end up leaving and not progressing. It's a shame.

Cheers,

BTW I agree that changes to pvp can be detrimental to PVE. They should completely separate the mechanics of skills for each world.

"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sweatapodimas

I think you are confusing shield stacking with high health high mitigation setups...

Once upon a time shield stacking was a problem, but I think they've probably dealt with that through health caps, addition of crit, addition of counter star, etc etc etc.

It's an active defense they as soon as you let it drop results in a death (since you are in light armor).

Not to mention since it's one of the only active defensives that doesn't scale based on the number of attacks (dodge roll/block) it doesn't perform as well on 1vX scenarios.

Patch releases today on console so I'll find out shortly how it is.

• selig_fay
    selig_fay
    ✭✭✭
    @sweatapodimas

I think you are confusing shield stacking with high health high mitigation setups...

Once upon a time shield stacking was a problem, but I think they've probably dealt with that through health caps, addition of crit, addition of counter star, etc etc etc.

It's an active defense they as soon as you let it drop results in a death (since you are in light armor).

Not to mention since it's one of the only active defensives that doesn't scale based on the number of attacks (dodge roll/block) it doesn't perform as well on 1vX scenarios.

Patch releases today on console so I'll find out shortly how it is.

This doesn't always work 1x1. When you're wearing light armor, there's not much help from a person who just spams a critical attack from a two-handed weapon in your direction. For this reason, I don't really understand why a person thinks that shields are lazy, even though they don't even give time for a counterattack.