The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Should DPS queue as tank or healer?

• Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    That feel when you queue as a real healer, then everyone you end up grouped with is using Pale Order anyway :/

A big problem with any MMO is the weird and paradoxical way players treat group content and group mechanics as a hindrance to be overcome. Just an inconvenience in the way of their incredibly grindy single player RPG.

Everyone thinks DLC dungeons are harder than normals, and it's not really true. They're slightly tougher, but the main difference is that they require co-operation. They don't tolerate your one man army BS.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I hate it when I get a dps who wants to bypass the que by being a fake tank. I get that it’s a normal and we can all pretty much solo it, but I kinda want to enjoy the dungeon and not plow through it with 3-4 dps when I wasn’t promised that when I queued for it. When I que, I like to think I’m promised a real tank, a real healer, and another dps. They can be terrible, as long as they’re trying to do their role properly, I actually don’t mind. I do mind a person who cuts in line so they can plow through the dungeon and spy your loot table for their gear like your some cattle to be carried and used.
    Edited by Arbit on March 10, 2021 8:37AM
    Argonian Master Race
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a non-issue for magicka characters. A good magicka character can heal, DPS, or do any hybrid of those. All it takes is a loadout change.

At least, that was the case before this week, but I don't see Update 29 as being extreme enough to change that.
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would queue like tank and healer.

And do not care a lot about should or should not I.

If it will be some problems like bad ping and vDLC i can relog on real one.
  • GZ_ES
    GZ_ES
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely yes. It showcases that tanks/healers should get dev support for hybridizing. Buff monkey builds should be a thing of the past for dungeon content.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    GZ_ES wrote: »
    Absolutely yes. It showcases that tanks/healers should get dev support for hybridizing. Buff monkey builds should be a thing of the past for dungeon content.

I like my buff monkeys. Gives more diversity than everyone needing to dps while doing other roles. It lets people who don’t want that strict dps rotation have an out. Hybrid builds = everyone dps’s inevitably in end game.The roles like healer are not as hard on rotation for some players so they enjoy that. I would rather ppl have a choice in play style.
    Edited by Arbit on March 26, 2021 5:27PM
    Argonian Master Race
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I've queued as fake tank or healer on 12 characters daily during the double XP event and each and every time I was doing 50%+ of the group DPS. Had I queued as a full healer or tank I wouldn't have been able to finish those in the given time. TL:DR - stop queueing as fake DPS :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    AyaDark wrote: »
    I would queue like tank and healer.

And do not care a lot about should or should not I.

If it will be some problems like bad ping and vDLC i can relog on real one.

Ok, yes, I understand that .. but what about the DDs that wasted 15-20 mins in queue, for a dungeon they'll not be able to complete because of you? They'll just have to queue again? A DD's queue is not instant, like a (fake) tank's.

Queueing as a fake tank have consequences on other people, you know? You waste their time, and it's no less valuable than yours.

Let's develop empathy, as a community.
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Not Matter
    We should stop qqing about the roles in random normal dungeons
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    We should queue for our proper roles and think about other people. I’ve had people fake roles in vets too. Just today someone fake healed in crypt of hearts for pledge, which I can technically live with but don’t approve of. It doesn’t change the fact that you are imposing yourself on a group which did not agree to have you do something like that. If you wanna fake a role then don’t pug it.
    Argonian Master Race
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Not Matter
    Arbit wrote: »
    We should queue for our proper roles and think about other people. I’ve had people fake roles in vets too. Just today someone fake healed in crypt of hearts for pledge, which I can technically live with but don’t approve of. It doesn’t change the fact that you are imposing yourself on a group which did not agree to have you do something like that. If you wanna fake a role then don’t pug it.

You need to explain what do you mean by the fake role. What makes a tank, healer or dd "fake", what makes them "true" and what makes them just bad with their role. Just remember it's a random dungeon finder we are speaking of.

For normal content, I prefer a tank, some would say fake, with damage skills and taunt in some cases over a "fake" dd with no clue about dungeon mechanics and no clue about their class or basic knowledge about dealing damage in ESO. But I don't make threads about it, because it's a PUG and I can't expect anything from others. That's why I always slot for PUG as a tank or healer with dd setup, with taunt or 1/2 healing skills. And it works good for everyone. Am I fake? PUG will stay PUG so deal with it, because you can't force people doing random content to use certain skills or builds, so it will make them "true", not "fake" . And zos can't draw the line to separate "fake roles" from "true roles" , because there is no clear definition. What they can do is educate players (class rep initiative for example).
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Arbit wrote: »

You need to explain what do you mean by the fake role. What makes a tank, healer or dd "fake", what makes them "true" and what makes them just bad with their role. Just remember it's a random dungeon finder we are speaking of.

For normal content, I prefer a tank, some would say fake, with damage skills and taunt in some cases over a "fake" dd with no clue about dungeon mechanics and no clue about their class or basic knowledge about dealing damage in ESO. But I don't make threads about it, because it's a PUG and I can't expect anything from others. That's why I always slot for PUG as a tank or healer with dd setup, with taunt or 1/2 healing skills. And it works good for everyone. Am I fake? PUG will stay PUG so deal with it, because you can't force people doing random content to use certain skills or builds, so it will make them "true", not "fake" . And zos can't draw the line to separate "fake roles" from "true roles" , because there is no clear definition. What they can do is educate players (class rep initiative for example).

you can try and say its ambiguous, but you can't tell me a person with 23k hp, with something like mothers sorrow/medusa/maw helm, and no taunts equipped, is a tank. Just came from a dungeon where we had a fake tank, and had that type of situation everyone is complaining about, where they rushed on ahead, aggroed everything, and gave no cares about their other group members. Just wanting to get in and get out, and expecting you to enjoy this. If we were talking about low cp's where they don't know any better, thats one thing, but these high cp players who come in and want to make you "keep up", are a cancer on the dungeon queue. I queue for dungeons, not because of the exp, but because I usually enjoy helping ppl through dungeons. The experience is ruined for me when I get a lower tier dungeon, that has nothing but DD's. I didn't sign up for that, as many do not. I'm extra salty about it right now, because I drew aggro on the last boss, probably cause I was dishing the most dps out of them, and got killed. Low and behold none of them could be bothered to pick me up. I was livid, not just because I was treated to such a run, but because they were couldn't care less about the people they were running with. I should have left at the beginning when I saw what type of people they were. It shouldn't have to be me leaving tho, I signed up for what is promised by the dungeon finder, but got... this. If people intend to fake tank, and fake heal, they need to find a full party and queue with themselves. Not subject others to their BS.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Other -

Depending on your level and experience, If you're going to queue as a tank or healer, then be willing and able to do the very basics of those jobs.

If you're going to queue as a tank, slot a taunt so you can keep the bosses still. This benefits you and everyone else. Make sure you can self-sustain your resources and your health - things an average tank should be able to do exceptionally easily in a normal dungeon.

If you're going to queue as a healer, have a heal slotted?

Personally I would rather DPS queued as a healer if they didn't intend to heal because if I'm on a tank I can always slot a heal for the group.

Most all my chars have a taunt skill and a group heal purchased. Being flexible is key.

All that being said if you don't know a large number of dungeon mechanics, are low level, insist on just light attacking or generally don't actually know how to play dps let alone tank or healer in group content, then just don't.

• ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    You can solo most if not all normal dungeons on an 18k hp dps build, just be first to pull and everything agro's on you anyway.

I'd still slot a taunt or a heal tho mostly for bosses.

I can solo a lot of dungeons, but its not about me and what i can do. Its about what i agree to by accepting the terms and conditions set forth by queuing in the DF. I agree to do a descent job at my role and provide that "service" for my WHOLE group. If i can solo the dungeon or not is irrelevant. If i want to solo it, i just run it solo
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    When queuing a daily normal with Guild members we switch roles as needed. If we don't have a tank and if I opt to be the fake tank, I equip a taunt for a smoother run.

But with random players ... well, I have not used group finder for dungeons in ages but when I did, I queued as my character's actual role. It takes too long. The last time I tried, I was on a healer and gave up after a while.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • DonGodJoe
    DonGodJoe
    ✭✭✭
    As it was mentioned above

Me as fake tank (speaking still about normals)
    Normal random - more than 50% dmg done overall by me only (considering there are two other dd doing just 50% together??)
    Having more than 5 toons and an real life job is time consuming - not going to waste hour of realistic roles
    Current ongoing event with exp? - again i dont have time to sit with real roles for normal dungeon to be done

Complains? Heard once or twice some, usually people say "good run / thx"

Solution?
    I would accept some solo/duo que only daily rewarding, its after all elder scrolls rpg game, where apart of trials and pvp you are mostly everything else doing solo.

Just use procs. Simple. No brain is required.