The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

how to enjoy solo overland content as an endgame player?

Ergele
Ergele
✭✭✭
Title.

Majority of the game is overland content especially with chapters and stuff. Although they are all terrific I don't really enjoy it since I can oneshot every mob in these stories. How do I make the game harder for myself?
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Intentionally gimping yourself won't likely help in this area, since being used to more engaging fights will make all the overland ones save for a few painfully dull, and by doing things like only using your fist and going with no gear will only lengthen the duration of these fights.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did try switching to the wrong gear (stamina with destro staff etc) but I hit the same problem you describe - it made the fights longer and harder but still not at all interesting. Taking most of your armour off doesn't do such a big amount to the fight duration but does require you pay a little more attention. You could also go to the other EU/NA server and start from the bottom again but if you are a reasonable player you can still walk the content in crap gear with no CP.

I always cared more about the story for the story not for the fights so the fact it's like being a human lawnmower hasn't bothered me so much and I've given up trying to make overland harder - plus sometimes when you need skillpoints in a hurry it's kind of fun trying to speedrun clockwork city.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well what have you tried till now ??
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try being a Sherpa, you know, Find legitimate new players, teach 'em a few things about the elder scrolls online that they do not already know, Journey with them and help them complete quests, teach 'em how to craft their own gear, help them achieve their elder scrolls dream, make their time here memorable and fun.

Because they say the toughest thing anyone can do is being a parent. (In this case, a Sherpa, a guide to show them the good times ahead.)
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's because the fights themselves are just boring and unengaging except for some boss fights maybe. ZOS has tried to give mobs certain mechanics but they tend to either be just plain annoying or mobs burn too fast for it to even matter.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP assassin if you are a NB. Kill only primary target(s), entirely skip everything else.
    And ZOS making a companion system... Cheesus Christ...

And yes, nerfing yourself in any freaking ways (disable CP, white gear, mismatched stats vs skills), currently makes fights longer a bit, not harder.
    Edited by mocap on March 26, 2021 8:34AM
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've slotted snb on a DD to have less impact in combat, also different skills like using 2h on a mag with some of the 2h skills. Probably cheapest and easiest way.

Can already imagine it being also unplayable again with chapter merc we'll get.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep these posts coming. :wink:

(This is maybe the 100,000th post on the subject)

Maybe one day in the future, Zenimax will wake up to the problem and find a way to fix things that will please everyone.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the overland content entirely by its world design and the beautiful landscape. If I am looking for tough fights I enter some arena or group dungeon.

However I wish there would be more adventure zones besides of Craglorn in the game in the future, with some more tougher overland group content.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive gone back to overland given the recent changes to cyrodiil; it took a bit of work but, having set my characters up for it, I'm actually really enjoying it again.

I suspect what works for people is going to vary widely - personally the usual naked questing / dumping all your cp suggestions sound pretty unenticing - but what I'd suggest is using unsual sets and abilities, maybe having a bit of a theme to it.

My magblade is doing a passable impression of a spellsword. He's dressed up like a litle samurai, wields a 2 handed great sword, and uses lotus fan, concealed weapon, impale, mass hysteria and shadow. Great fun.

My temp was more challenging - jabs kill's *everything* overland - but I gave her grothdar and thunderbug so, at the very least, I have a great little sound and light show going on as she leaps around splatting stuff.

The dk actually pretty easy; he's got some really fun skills I don't normally get to use much in groups. Tooling around chaining everything in, hitting them with talons, inhale/draw essence, and breathing fire over them all never gets old.

My stamblade is dressed up like a ninja, runs round in stealth gear, and sneaks in either sniping mobs or blade of woe'ing them. It's definately different.

I'm not about to die unless I do something spectacularly silly, but I'm finding mixing it up makes it alot more fun. If you wear your end game gear, run in and drop wall of elements / barbed trap you'll find the mobs are dead before you swap bars. A few specific suggestions
    - ring of the wild hunt makes overland *vastly* more enjoyable on non stamina characters.
    - try a no wall of elements rule. Class abilities only. Or if you have to use others, try the fun ones.
    - there are some cool heavy armor sets, and with a quick switch to ROTPO you're good to go for WBs.
    - explore everything / everywhere. Im actually enjoying filling the stickerbook out from treasure chests and finding all sort of nooks and crannies.

Ultimately, none of this gets round the problem that the game desperately needs a vet mode / difficulty slider for overland; but it's working for me as a stop gap

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ergele wrote: »

- Bucket for helmet
    - Broom for 2H on the main bar
    - Bow of choice for back bar
    - No gear except belt and shoulders so you can get one set bonus with 3 pieces of jewelry

Even upgraded to gold, the broom only does about 300 base damage once you hit level 50.
    This should get you in the right spot of difficulty for most world bosses, dolmens, public dungeons etc.
    popcorn.gif

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Ergele wrote: »

- Bucket for helmet
    - Broom for 2H on the main bar
    - Bow of choice for back bar
    - No gear except belt and shoulders so you can get one set bonus with 3 pieces of jewelry

Even upgraded to gold, the broom only does about 300 base damage once you hit level 50.
    This should get you in the right spot of difficulty for most world bosses, dolmens, public dungeons etc.
    popcorn.gif

Leveled this character to 50 in the prison (took forever), she's now roaming Tamriel and still hasn't done a single quest in her entire career.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/332643/the-bucket-and-broom-challenge/p1
    cheer.gif