Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Creating an Ayleid character?

vhagar122
vhagar122
✭✭
Got inspired by people who create Maormer character and i was thinking about creating Ayleid character, i know there is a guide for Maormer characters and i wanted to know if there's any for creating an Ayleid or did someone ever tried it?

It's also tricky for me to find out how Ayleids really looked like, when you type "Ayleid" in google there's a lot of art's and in those Ayleids look very similar to Altmers but their's yellow skin is slightly darker, on the other side we are plesaured to meet King Laloriaran Dynar and he looks vastly diffrent from art's i found in google, he has skin color similiar to humans, i also heard someone on forum saying that Ayleids could have feathers. Are there any legit lore sources that say how Ayleids looked like?

Picture of Laloriaran Dynar
5oqoehvzbypa.png

One of arts that pop up when you type "Ayleid art" in google
go5zz4vzm8v4.jpg

• Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ayleid

There is this lore of the Ayleids and in this link at the bottom is another image of the Barsaebic Ayleids who seem similar in their looks to King Laloriaran Dynar and are seen in ESO - though through a quest I believe that is set in the past. I am not sure about feathers. To create one and play one as a character I would keep in mind what is said in this link as well.

"Any remaining Ayleids are unknown; if they continue to exist, they are likely living in hiding".

There is this Ayleid crown as well in ESO

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/ayleid-royal-crown/

Edited by Eporem on February 24, 2021 7:43PM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the connection between birds/feathers and Ayleids is mainly in the symbology of their culture, rather than in any physical appearance (that we know of). A good number of symbols in statues or in armor in Saliache culture are filled with avian motifs, motifs which are not uncommon in Merish culture, but markedly noticeable in the culture of the Heartland Wild-Elves. Their ruins often feature statues of winged figured or figures presented with birds, these often being representations of Auri-El or other Aedra. It's also worth noting that the Ayleids were among the first cultures to represent Meridia, who represented the element of light in their culture, with wings.

There are theories out there about the potential Avian connections of the Ayleids. In particular, these theories make an attempt to connect them to the Bird-Folk reported in the Topal and Niben bay by Topal the Pilot. (Here's hoping for a bit of bird-people lore in Blackwood!). But, these are just theories. The important thing to consider is using avian motifs or those motifs that utilize feathers when designing your outfit.

For the Ayleid itself, I'd personally go with an Altmer with a height between the lowest end and the midpoint. Then go with one of the darker skin-tone options and one of the blue eye options. It won't be perfect, but it will be close.
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    So, the connection between birds/feathers and Ayleids is mainly in the symbology of their culture, rather than in any physical appearance (that we know of). A good number of symbols in statues or in armor in Saliache culture are filled with avian motifs, motifs which are not uncommon in Merish culture, but markedly noticeable in the culture of the Heartland Wild-Elves. Their ruins often feature statues of winged figured or figures presented with birds, these often being representations of Auri-El or other Aedra. It's also worth noting that the Ayleids were among the first cultures to represent Meridia, who represented the element of light in their culture, with wings.

There are theories out there about the potential Avian connections of the Ayleids. In particular, these theories make an attempt to connect them to the Bird-Folk reported in the Topal and Niben bay by Topal the Pilot. (Here's hoping for a bit of bird-people lore in Blackwood!). But, these are just theories. The important thing to consider is using avian motifs or those motifs that utilize feathers when designing your outfit.

For the Ayleid itself, I'd personally go with an Altmer with a height between the lowest end and the midpoint. Then go with one of the darker skin-tone options and one of the blue eye options. It won't be perfect, but it will be close.

Umaril got feathers in TES 4.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weren't thy giant and kind of less anthropomorphic in OBLIVION?
    https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Ayleid?file=Umaril.png

Ayleid?file=Umaril.png
    Edited by QuebraRegra on February 24, 2021 10:00PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there were ever Ayleids who appeared to have feathers, they were clearly some form of ornamentation as seen in many cultures and in many Aldmeri motifs as well.

I agree with some of the earlier posts: I would make a “shorter” Altmer with dark gold skin and then I’ve seen a lot of pictures of them with white or golden hair and blue eyes but I would not be surprised if other variations did not exist.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 5, 2023 7:24AM
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ayleid?file=Umaril.png

Magic and body modifications? Magical body modifications?
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ayleid?file=Umaril.png

Keep in mind that Umaril the Unfeathered is also only half-Ayleid. His mother was Ayleid, but his father was "divine" of some sort (it's never mentioned what that means). This is why he is able to return after he met his end at the hands of Pelinal Whitestrake.
  • VaIerius
    VaIerius
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my Ayleid:
    gw0pgm5n3u9b.png

Ayleids are physically identical to Altmer, except that they have a more tanned brown skin (like that of a Bosmer) instead of the yellow-golden skin the Altmer are known for. Such a brown skin is not available to Altmer in the creation screen. To work around this, I created an Altmer with the most upper-right corner skin color, and set age almost to max. This provides a very dark yellow skin tone. I then used the Blackmarrow Necromancer Skin, which turned the skin into a more brownish one that looked more appropriate for an Ayleid. Next, I used a combination of motifs to create armor with a bird motif: Ancestral High Elf, Welkynar, Divine Prosecution and Meridian, as well as a few other styles. I made him a Necromancer due to most Liches being Ayleid and as an explanation as to how he is still around in the Second Era. Hope this helps a bit!
    Edited by VaIerius on February 25, 2021 2:06PM
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VaIerius wrote: »
    Here's my Ayleid:
    gw0pgm5n3u9b.png

Ayleids are physically identical to Altmer, except that they have a more tanned brown skin (like that of a Bosmer) instead of the yellow-golden skin the Altmer are known for. Such a brown skin is not available to Altmer in the creation screen. To work around this, I created an Altmer with the most upper-right corner skin color, and set age almost to max. This provides a very dark yellow skin tone. I then used the Blackmarrow Necromancer Skin, which turned the skin into a more brownish one that looked more appropriate for an Ayleid. Next, I used a combination of motifs to create armor with a bird motif: Ancestral High Elf, Welkynar, Divine Prosecution and Meridian, as well as a few other styles. I made him a Necromancer due to most Liches being Ayleid and as an explanation as to how he is still around in the Second Era. Hope this helps a bit!

This is awesome! I also enjoy creating "nonplayable" races. I have a few Ayleid portraits from playing around in character creation, but I haven't yet bitten the bullet on it. Your tips are really helpful.

Also, this and the Maormer creation I saw recently make me want to create a board...
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kallykat wrote: »

Also, this and the Maormer creation I saw recently make me want to create a board...

Done!: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/565915/show-off-your-non-playable-races
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not necessarily canon, but a lot of player headcanon I've ran into (including my own), and also fanart on Ayleids portrays them with olive skin—often dark olive skin, blue/green eyes, and silver hair. This paired with some Ayleid-looking armour sets like the Meridian motif give a genuinely Ayleid-looking character.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the staff you used :)? Does it glow like that normally or was it dyed
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VaIerius wrote: »
    Here's my Ayleid:
    gw0pgm5n3u9b.png

What staff did you use to make it look like a welkyn stone
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the staff from the Nerien'eth weapon pack from a few months ago. Unfortunately it was in August-September, but might one day come back in the future.

Otherwise I'd say you could get a similar varla stone of sorts on top of a few staves. Primal 3 specifically.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC