Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

returning magplar

Rhaegar75
Rhaegar75
✭✭✭✭✭
hello all,

with the changes in Cyro i've decided to bring my magplar back from his early retirement.

I'm doing well in Cyro but as soon as I enter BGs I suddenly find myself unable to stand my ground when facing proc heavy builds or troll tanks. I've resigned myself to having to have 2 setups and I'm asking if you can suggest any BG friendly gear that you would use on a MagPlar.

Thanks
Edited by Rhaegar75 on March 25, 2021 10:01AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm playing ranged magplar in bgs, calurion, eternal vigor, 1 or 2 pc slimecraw.
    Willpower 1h/s backbar.
    Swift jewelery, steed mundus, fairly speedy.
    You will heavily rely on calu procs for your offense, but jbeam on low hp targets is also very good, and hits hard.
    I'm rocking 5 well fitted, and between that, and tripots get a ton of sustain across the board and can dodgeroll a stupid amount.

Decimus is rocking imperium and mother ciannit on his rangedplar, the 2 shields with mist form make survival quite good for his build, but he relies a lot on meditating for sustain.

For melee magplar I haven't made a build yet, I'm not looking forward to playing light armor melee in the current meta, I can tell you that xD.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am playinga high burst build / hight regen/ high mobility build in BG. Engine guardian/ Overwhelming / Auroran (fb) / SnB Potantates (bb). The psijoc order shield is a must back bar.

Toppling charge from target to target and burst them down. Use charge to get out of sticky situations too.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WolfyRaps wrote: »
    I am playinga high burst build / hight regen/ high mobility build in BG. Engine guardian/ Overwhelming / Auroran (fb) / SnB Potantates (bb). The psijoc order shield is a must back bar.

Toppling charge from target to target and burst them down. Use charge to get out of sticky situations too.

You mean the passive when you block?
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks guys!

I like the look of Vigor - would it work on the back bar only? It seems that it needs to be on all the time to harvest its benefits.....right?
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    thanks guys!

I like the look of Vigor - would it work on the back bar only? It seems that it needs to be on all the time to harvest its benefits.....right?

No. Dont use that on magplar. If ou want to use a back bar set use lich.

You mean the passive when you block?

Yes. It complements the high pace playing style and its priceless when you switch to back bar to block heal.

In BG I use Rememberance instead of Temporal Guard that I use in duels so I slot meditate as the psijic skill of choice which further complements my sustain.
    Edited by WolfyRaps on March 25, 2021 11:11PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been doing well with

Khajiit
    Mechanical Acquity
    Pale Order
    Back bar Spectre's Eye

RAT back bar

1.8 cit mod in BGs. Toppling into Jabs. Degen wont proc Acquity, so it'll proc when u land toppling which stuns straight into a Acquity proc making all jabs crits.

3 infused spell damage.

Broke a mil a few times already
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been doing well with

Khajiit
    Mechanical Acquity
    Pale Order
    Back bar Spectre's Eye

RAT back bar

1.8 cit mod in BGs. Toppling into Jabs. Degen wont proc Acquity, so it'll proc when u land toppling which stuns straight into a Acquity proc making all jabs crits.

3 infused spell damage.

That is a truly intriguing build which I will definitely want to try.... @Waffennacht not surprised that you think outside of box considering some of your posts! Thank you for sharing this build.

Guys on a less creative and cheaper level (got most of the pieces already), what do you think of Vigor, front bar spinner or war maiden, Malacath and back bar endurance?

I feel I want at least 3/4 heavy pieces
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on March 27, 2021 8:01AM
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive been doing well with

Khajiit
    Mechanical Acquity
    Pale Order
    Back bar Spectre's Eye

RAT back bar

3 infused spell damage.

That is a truly intriguing build which I will definitely want to try.... @Waffennacht not surprised that you think outside of box considering some of your posts! Thank you for sharing this build.

Guys on a less creative and cheaper level (got most of the pieces already), what do you think of Vigor, front bar spinner or war maiden, Malacath and back bar endurance?

Terrible from all points of view. Vigor and malacath are not for magplar. Front bar you would be better off with NMA or Spinners. Endurance is also very terrible for templar and not neaded since u have best burst heal in game in your toolkit.
    Edited by WolfyRaps on March 27, 2021 9:26AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been doing well with

Khajiit
    Mechanical Acquity
    Pale Order
    Back bar Spectre's Eye

RAT back bar

3 infused spell damage.

Terrible from all points of view. Vigor and malacath are not for magplar. Front bar you would be better off with NMA or Spinners. Endurance is also very terrible for templar and not neaded since u have best burst heal in game in your toolkit.

I think Arcitc Blast or Twilight Matriarch are still better burst heals than breath of life, also with repentance on backbar its pretty easy to get good value out of endurance, especially if you are not running a resto staff.

For no cp battlegrounds malacath is still very much a thing, even for templar, altho if you are not running procsets i would probably not run it.

Eternal Vigor is a solid all around set, and unless your goal is to be an absolute glass cannon, id take it over NMA every day.

Especially with how high damage is right now, you really dont need to build a ton of offense to take most people down.

And aganist those very tanky targets like necros and wardens, having an extra 1k or spd isnt going to make a huge difference.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Ive been doing well with

Khajiit
    Mechanical Acquity
    Pale Order
    Back bar Spectre's Eye

RAT back bar

3 infused spell damage.

I think Arcitc Blast or Twilight Matriarch are still better burst heals than breath of life, also with repentance on backbar its pretty easy to get good value out of endurance, especially if you are not running a resto staff.

For no cp battlegrounds malacath is still very much a thing, even for templar, altho if you are not running procsets i would probably not run it.

Eternal Vigor is a solid all around set, and unless your goal is to be an absolute glass cannon, id take it over NMA every day.

Especially with how high damage is right now, you really dont need to build a ton of offense to take most people down.

And aganist those very tanky targets like necros and wardens, having an extra 1k or spd isnt going to make a huge difference.

Definitely no intention to build a glass cannon build: it doesn’t suit my playstyle and tend not to like them even if they were hyper performing.

In terms of proc damage proc sets...well...It seems that DoTs are not as strong this patch. I'm getting that vibe playing my StamDK
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on March 27, 2021 12:30PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i use eternal vigor jewels and weapons + spell power cure body + earthgore on my magplar. over 5k spell damage, never run out of resources, tons of healing and utility for my team as well as insane execute pressure with radiant glory + meteor. 3 swift, all spell damage enchants, all tristats glyphs. sugar skulls food, atronach mundas, dark elf race. i use the alliance spell power + crit + mag pots so i have more bar space.

lightning staff: radiant glory, sweeps, radiant aura or elemental drain (i prefer radiant aura for the minor buffs), living dark, toppling charge, meteor
    resto staff: race against time, radiating regeneration, honor the dead, extended ritual, channeled focus, life giver

i play in high mmr bgs, and do equal parts damage/healing, sometimes a bit more healing than damage. very hard to kill, and i give my team a lot as well. really love it!
    Edited by gariondavey on March 27, 2021 12:40PM
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting to really like the sound of Vigor (tried it on my stamDK) and I'd like to use it on my magplar but.....................my dilemma is that I don't know what to sacrifice to have the 5 piece of Vigor on all the time.

Malacath? I like the extra damage...
    Monster set? I like the damage I get from Groth or Skoria (I don't use Zahn cause it's too lame even for me!)
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm getting to really like the sound of Vigor (tried it on my stamDK) and I'd like to use it on my magplar but.....................my dilemma is that I don't know what to sacrifice to have the 5 piece of Vigor on all the time.

Monster set? I like the damage I get from Groth or Skoria (I don't use Zahn cause it's too lame even for me!)

You can pair it with a 3 piece like Willpower and do weapons with Trainee.

But if you are intent on wearing a full uptime set like Eternal Vigor, then you'll have to choose between a monster set or malacath. You cannot do both. Only way to do both is to choose a 5 piece backbar set and a 5 piece front bar set. Then you'll open up 2 jewelry slots which would likely be Malacath and Trainee. For example:

Backbar: Lich, Curse-Eater, Overwhelming, etc. Frontbar: Auroran's, Spinner's, NMA, etc.
    Then: Monster set and 2 jewelry of something.

One setup I've enjoyed is to run 5p Eternal, backbar Curse-Eater, front bar Vate staff, Grothdar. Curse-Eater is often overlooked in my opinion. Being able to purge effects from yourself and your teammates just by using Honor of the Dead is pretty powerful. It can also let you run Ritual of Retribution for more dmg, too. Though I keep Extended because I heal for pug dungeons a lot and like the extra heals.

By the way, the word "Vigor" is the term used for the stamina heal that everyone stamina player runs. Every time you write just Vigor, I have to check myself because no magicka player is going to run a stamina heal. Might be less confusion if you refer to Eternal Vigor set as EV. Soz... :)
    Edited by maxjapank on March 28, 2021 11:13PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

But if you are intent on wearing a full uptime set like Eternal Vigor, then you'll have to choose between a monster set or malacath. You cannot do both. Only way to do both is to choose a 5 piece backbar set and a 5 piece front bar set. Then you'll open up 2 jewelry slots which would likely be Malacath and Trainee. For example:

Backbar: Lich, Curse-Eater, Overwhelming, etc. Frontbar: Auroran's, Spinner's, NMA, etc.

One setup I've enjoyed is to run 5p Eternal, backbar Curse-Eater, front bar Vate staff, Grothdar. Curse-Eater is often overlooked in my opinion. Being able to purge effects from yourself and your teammates just by using Honor of the Dead is pretty powerful. It can also let you run Ritual of Retribution for more dmg, too. Though I keep Extended because I heal for pug dungeons a lot and like the extra heals.

By the way, the word "Vigor" is the term used for the stamina heal that everyone stamina player runs. Every time you write just Vigor, I have to check myself because no magicka player is going to run a stamina heal. Might be less confusion if you refer to Eternal Vigor set as EV. Soz... :)

hahah thanks buddy...definitely referring to Eternal Vigor. Anything will be better than my good old rattlecage...getting kills with Rattle + bright throat makes you feel you can only improve your gear :*
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

hahah thanks buddy...definitely referring to Eternal Vigor. Anything will be better than my good old rattlecage...getting kills with Rattle + bright throat makes you feel you can only improve your gear :*

Well you can get that regen other ways too, you can run hp+ tri recovery food, maybe look into bloodthorn set.
    You can also run a backbar regen set like lich or warlock, or just some regen on jewelery, and use restoring focus for Stam regen.
    Eternal vigor is just the most convenient way to get high regen, especially beacuse of how Stat dense the set is, but it's not the only way.
    Spc backbar is a great option btw, can definetly recommend for bgs, your teammates will love you as well.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally played my melee magplar in BGs this patch and I'm very happy to find that the build I was running last patch seems even better now.

5L/1M/1H
    Stuhns Front
    Spectre's Eye Back
    Engine Guardian
    1 Trainee
    Pale Order

Almost all craftable, good burst damage/healing, and solid mobility/crit with RAT.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Finally played my melee magplar in BGs this patch and I'm very happy to find that the build I was running last patch seems even better now.

5L/1M/1H
    Stuhns Front
    Spectre's Eye Back
    Engine Guardian
    1 Trainee
    Pale Order

Almost all craftable, good burst damage/healing, and solid mobility/crit with RAT.

Holy Jbeam! When did they change specter eye to this monstrosity? I'm usually pretty up to date with changes, but completely missed this one.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5L/1M/1H
    Stuhns Front
    Spectre's Eye Back
    Engine Guardian
    1 Trainee
    Pale Order

Holy Jbeam! When did they change specter eye to this monstrosity? I'm usually pretty up to date with changes, but completely missed this one.

Idk, but as I was tweaking my magplar last patch, I specifically started looking for a strong, back bar, good duration, defensive set that had a simple trigger condition. Then I read Specter's Eye and immediately started crafting it in gold.

I'm sure @Waffennacht has a similar story.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

5L/1M/1H
    Stuhns Front
    Spectre's Eye Back
    Engine Guardian
    1 Trainee
    Pale Order

Idk, but as I was tweaking my magplar last patch, I specifically started looking for a strong, back bar, good duration, defensive set that had a simple trigger condition. Then I read Specter's Eye and immediately started crafting it in gold.

I'm sure @Waffennacht has a similar story.

Yeah major evasion sounds really good, but I never used sets like gossamer due to bad uptime.
    But this looks nice.
    Im thinking, doing it with spc and running
    Both as backbar sets, and keeping the 4pc bonuses for front on both.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daedric Trickery might be a nifty set to back bar, too. Not sure what it means in terms of dmg. Would ticks from Vamp Bane proc it. But having 2 major buffs up at all times is pretty strong.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric Trickery might be a nifty set to back bar, too. Not sure what it means in terms of dmg. Would ticks from Vamp Bane proc it. But having 2 major buffs up at all times is pretty strong.

I was also thinking about Daedric Trickery as I'm still not keen on sacrificing either a mythic or MS to have Eternal Vigor always on. I like the sound of 2 major buffs up all the time and it ticks the box of a good back bar set. Would it be triggered by DoTs?

I must admit I've never heard of Specter's Eye at all and major evasion would be a god send in BGs
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was also thinking about Daedric Trickery as I'm still not keen on sacrificing either a mythic or MS to have Eternal Vigor always on. I like the sound of 2 major buffs up all the time and it ticks the box of a good back bar set. Would it be triggered by DoTs?

I must admit I've never heard of Specter's Eye at all and major evasion would be a god send in BGs

Hey we just had a bg just now xD.

I'm actually liking specters eye a lot so far.
    Really helps aganist those hard hitting dbs shalks etc.
    I'm thinking now maybe I'll run ev with full infused spell dmg glyphs and perhaps a defensive monster set on top.
    Only thing that bothers me is the max hp bonus being 4pc, I don't like having more hp on one bar then the other...
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking now maybe I'll run ev with full infused spell dmg glyphs and perhaps a defensive monster set on top.
    Only thing that bothers me is the max hp bonus being 4pc, I don't like having more hp on one bar then the other...

I'm just desperate to stop using Rattlecage: I feel like everyone is using the web and i'm stilling sending you a fax :#

I'll have to stop being stingy and just spend the money to try stuff at least at purple level
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm just desperate to stop using Rattlecage: I feel like everyone is using the web and i'm stilling sending you a fax :#

I'll have to stop being stingy and just spend the money to try stuff at least at purple level

[snip]

If you look for something cheap lich/sthuns or NMA and whatever monster set is your best bet.

Do not use heavy armor even if you want to be tanky because you will lose all the essencial passive from light armor and ability to do any damage. Use x3 protective trait on your rings..

[edited for baiting]

Edited by ZOS_Lunar on March 31, 2021 8:30PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

If you look for something cheap lich/sthuns or NMA and whatever monster set is your best bet.

Do not use heavy armor even if you want to be tanky because you will lose all the essencial passive from light armor and ability to do any damage. Use x3 protective trait on your rings..

[snip] I'm not keen on a glass cannon build. I get you don't like using heavy armour and you may love playing in 7 light and maybe that's brilliant....however...I truly don't like glass cannons!

Glass cannon builds may well be the best thing ever but I want to use at least 3/4 heavy especially now that we can play with armours a lot more.

[edited to remove quoted content]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on March 31, 2021 8:31PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

Thats kinda hurtful, hope you werent referring to me :)

I may not be the best pvper in this game, but, im definetly not a nub xD.

Edited by ZOS_Lunar on March 31, 2021 8:31PM
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip]

Thats kinda hurtful, hope you werent referring to me :)

I may not be the best pvper in this game, but, im definetly not a nub xD.

Same for me. Maybe they felt their opinion was being ignored and took a swipe. I’ve tried both heavy and light in bgs. Eternal Vigor heavy is by far the stronger in terms of survivability. I get less kills, but I’ve always been more of a dps/healer Magplar. I played light with Auroron’s and my kills went through the roof, but the dmg taken is much higher, too. So deaths were higher as well. To each their own.

Templar’s do need a more reliable burst setup. I think Radiant oppression needs to have its first tick instant again. I also think Purifying light being a six second delay is too long. Was fine when others could contribute dmg, but very hard to put enough dmg in it now. They should lessen it to 4 secs and raise the value to 40%. We could use something.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with magplar this patch isn't damage, they've plenty of it if you want to. The problem is that their offensive toolkit is too backloaded and it's main spammable doesn't allow for block- and dodgecasting, which is alot more important in a meta where burst is insanely high.

The moment you go offensive you blow up because the incoming damage is so high (if we ignore duels where magplar can still work somewhat). So most of the time you end up stuck on your backbar trying to recover. Magplar is still good (but not top tier, I'd say it's somewhere in the middle) for group play but currently I'd say it doesn't really matter what you decide to run gearwise because the magplar toolkit isn't suitable for the current meta at all.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    The problem with magplar this patch isn't damage, they've plenty of it if you want to. The problem is that their offensive toolkit is too backloaded and it's main spammable doesn't allow for block- and dodgecasting, which is alot more important in a meta where burst is insanely high.

The moment you go offensive you blow up because the incoming damage is so high (if we ignore duels where magplar can still work somewhat). So most of the time you end up stuck on your backbar trying to recover. Magplar is still good (but not top tier, I'd say it's somewhere in the middle) for group play but currently I'd say it doesn't really matter what you decide to run gearwise because the magplar toolkit isn't suitable for the current meta at all.

This is exactly why I started running crescent sweep again, even if it's clunky with its cast time, I can at least have a quick burst window with upfront damage.

My vision for melee magplar this patch is high/semi high spd build with as many defensive sets as possible. For bgs I'll still sprinkle some vate destro on top, it's simply too good even now not to run it.

With extra spell damage this patch, living dark is looking a little bit better, but I'm still hoping to see it changed to at least also proc on dot dmg taken, or have its cost reduced.

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

This is exactly why I started running crescent sweep again, even if it's clunky with its cast time, I can at least have a quick burst window with upfront damage.

My vision for melee magplar this patch is high/semi high spd build with as many defensive sets as possible. For bgs I'll still sprinkle some vate destro on top, it's simply too good even now not to run it.

With extra spell damage this patch, living dark is looking a little bit better, but I'm still hoping to see it changed to at least also proc on dot dmg taken, or have its cost reduced.

It's good that you're looking at spell damage this patch. With the added base stats, don't forget that magplar takes advantage of minor sorcery. That little buff gets a lot more valuable when you are handed an extra thousand spell damage for free.