The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Concealed Weapon

HalensShade
HalensShade
✭✭✭
"Target is out of range"

This message pops up on anything within 5m that happens to be moving away from you, and results in the ability not being cast regardless of the skill being 'lit up' on the skill bar (which only occurs when something is... you guessed it: in range). This leads to many kills not being secured in fast-paced content. Speed has always been an issue on melee magblade; this just perpetuates the issue.

Theories on the issue:
-Objects directly on the 5m threshold are being considered Out of Range.
-The trigger to activate the use of this ability when something moves within range differs from the prerequisite distance needed to actually cast the ability.
-There might be a hidden cast-time attached to this ability.
-Latency; which means it won't be fixed until there is a server overhaul.

I'm fairly certain I recall Uppercut/Wrecking Blow receiving a range increase due to this specific issue, albeit there is a cast time attached to these abilities (even though in the right hands it still weaves just as fast, if not faster than instant cast spammables, but whatever, I'm derailing my own post).

Does anyone else experience this with instant cast melee range abilities? If so, which ones, and have you found any solutions?

Edit: Light attacks from a 2H weapon will land on a player moving away from you, but still reads "Target is out of range" when attempting to use concealed weapon on that same player. This leads me to believe there is an actual mechanic busted here.
Edited by HalensShade on February 25, 2021 1:52AM
Platform: Xbox Series X
GT: Danny Van Halen
Class: Melee Magblade
5* earned from pure solo gameplay and zero AP events.
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, same issue. I had opened a thread almost a year ago about issues regarding the NB class in PvP and the SA range issue was one of my points.

The thread Im talking about.

Heres my consensus of the class itself: jNupqoK.png
    Edited by xI_The_Owl_Ix on February 25, 2021 2:52AM
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the desync that's been especially bad since u25. Dont expect it to be fixed any time soon
    Edited by Crash427 on February 25, 2021 3:26AM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an issue that also plagues all my magDK's melee abilities even with the 2 extra meters of range. Happens when the server is taxed, lots of things are going on, and what classifies as being in range is dictated by the server and not the client. It's an issue that's always plagued online games and ESO especially has it really bad.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank positioning being tracked on server for this, since it was changed this has been the case for all skills with any sort of range check.

What you see on your client isn't what the server sees and last year the last word for range calculations was given to the server.

That's what you get when devs think that 100 FPS while not being able to cast skills is better than 30 FPS but all your skills go off properly
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    Thank positioning being tracked on server for this, since it was changed this has been the case for all skills with any sort of range check.

What you see on your client isn't what the server sees and last year the last word for range calculations was given to the server.

That's what you get when devs think that 100 FPS while not being able to cast skills is better than 30 FPS but all your skills go off properly

you tole the truth, and reported fact. I salute you, and wonder why this is not the PRIME talking point for all??
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »

you tole the truth, and reported fact. I salute you, and wonder why this is not the PRIME talking point for all??

Because most of the people left playing this game care more about romancing NPCs and playing digital decorator.
  • Doczy
    Doczy
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, same issue. I had opened a thread almost a year ago about issues regarding the NB class in PvP and the SA range issue was one of my points.

you are da real MVP.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -There might be a hidden cast-time attached to this ability.
    -Latency; which means it won't be fixed until there is a server overhaul.

It is either one of those or both. Lag could explain why it does not work as it should. A lot of those issues (also with cloak) have started to appear when they moved a lot of calculations to server side. So basically you "send" imput that you are using Surprise Attack / Concealed Weapon and by the time server gets that info, it also gets info that target is 5.1 meter away... so it is like "nope" - and as a result you are stuck with this wierd animation interruptions...

Same with cloak. If you cast it and if there is a tiny bit of lag, you are not "cloaked" yet on the server - side, so you get hit by random dot or LA that interrupts cloak client - side.

^ That is why it is better to "spam" cloak 3-4 times so the server can catch-up...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 26, 2021 1:11PM
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭

Had me cackling like the goblin I am
    Goddamnit that’s gold.
    "BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had problems in the past with out of range and constant dodging. No clue what to add other then that I feel your pain.
    Could be cause the server is biased against australians though.
    "BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Server is doing to much wich should be on the client side.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where was this happening and what platform? I've been using Concealed Blade in duels on PC NA and haven't been plagued by this at all, but haven't used it in Cyrodiil in a while

Edit: I do definitely remember having terrible problems with Onslaught & Soul Harvest in Cyrodiil
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on February 26, 2021 7:04PM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fighting anyone who is faster than a snail is annoying, because every other attack is an out of range error.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep.

Suprise attack and twin slashes are both terrible for it.
  • HalensShade
    HalensShade
    ✭✭✭
    Where was this happening and what platform? I've been using Concealed Blade in duels on PC NA and haven't been plagued by this at all, but haven't used it in Cyrodiil in a while

Edit: I do definitely remember having terrible problems with Onslaught & Soul Harvest in Cyrodiil

Everywhere. Duels, BGs, Cyrodiil. I play on Xbox, have 300mbs internet, and have the newest console. Seems to be plaguing everybody using melee setups, apparently.
    Platform: Xbox Series X
    GT: Danny Van Halen
    Class: Melee Magblade
    5* earned from pure solo gameplay and zero AP events.