Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Is it possible to survive in pvp without heavy amour?

Starlight_Whisper
Starlight_Whisper
✭✭✭✭✭
If so how, I'm looking for advice
Edited by Starlight_Whisper on March 19, 2021 5:07AM
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can wear impregnable medium or even light armor and still get the set and armor weight bonuses with the much needed crit resist. It's what I do... spinner/spriggans and impreg
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, be fast and/or have cloak,mist, Streak. In medium you can still do a block build. I recommend one 5 piece for damage mitigation. In IC and BG's I back pariah and in cyro fortified.
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    If so how, I'm looking for advice

Cyrodiil or BG/IC ?

Do you run solo or in a group?
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely.

If you were referring to CP Cyrodiil.

I do Brass light and Impreg Jewelries + Wpn
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open World gear differs. Depending on player skill level, though.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did run Heavy during the Procmeta to not get nuked instantly, now even with damage way higher I can run Medium armor just fine again.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heavy armour can add survivability, but it is only one form of survivability. Ultimately, to be hard to kill is simple. You just have to increase your resistance to damage and/or increase your ability to recover from damage to a point where the combined effect overwhelms your opponents output. Whether that’s an NPC, mechanic or a player.

Some of the most bullet-proof builds I’ve ever played in any context did not wear heavy armour at all. Either they had a lot of recovery or they have so much dps with a recovery factor built in, that the opponent couldn’t kill them.

Another thing to consider is that just because you can’t kill another player does not mean that they are running a broken build, far more likely they are simply better than you are. This can be difficult to accept, and it certainly took me a long time. In this game maybe 30 to 40% of effectiveness can be put down to sets, another 30 to 40% is skills, the rest is practice and talent. The way the combat system is created means that it has an extremely high skill cap.

Also... Many of the most potent builds are the kind of thing that at first glance look like utter nonsense, I can promise that the most resilient or overpowered combinations are not going to be listed on YouTube and they are certainly not gonna be listed on this forum, mostly because the players that are currently enjoying the power that these combinations give them do not want to publicise them and therefore get them nerfed

HOWEVER....

This is the exception, not the rule.

TL:DR
    If you can reduce your incoming damage and increase your healing to a point where it overtops your opponents damage output then that opponent will not be able to kill you. Whether you do this to sets, skills, or just practice the end result is the same.
    Edited by Integral1900 on March 19, 2021 12:28PM
  • Princess249
    Princess249
    Soul Shriven
    I‘m doing well in surviving at my magsorc with 3 shield, 49k Magicka and 5+1+1 gear. The most important part is to keep moving.
  • notachik
    notachik
    ✭✭✭
    I had to switch from 1h 2m 4L to 1m 2L 4h..I’m not wearing a full 5pc of any one set ..does having 5 pieces of 1 set actually make a difference on mitigation?
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It's called dodge rolling. Or Streak. Or shield (mostly on sorc). Or block / heal (with 1H+S). Or Shadow Image and Cloak. Or simply having very high speed combined with some of the other things. Or being a sprinting stage 4 vamp. Or I would have said Mist Form, except that's been nerfed. Or being a 40K+ healthden in any armor. Or being a really good attacking player / dueller, like another respondent said. Or having serious health regen (Strategic Reserve + other). Sure, some of what I said synergises with heavy armor, execpt it's not necessary. For example you can build, say, a medium DK with good healing and defense just fine. The big ticket item was IMO always a 1H+S back bar, not heavy armor. A bow would be more unusual, but there's an argument for the speed from that as well. It's just what playstyle you're used to.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    notachik wrote: »
    I had to switch from 1h 2m 4L to 1m 2L 4h..I’m not wearing a full 5pc of any one set ..does having 5 pieces of 1 set actually make a difference on mitigation?
    In so far as you need 5 medium to use Shuffle, yeah, it makes a difference. I get the impression 7 medium is the new meta for stamina, but it's early days and that could be my bias talking. For magicka builds I tend to be in 6 light, 1 medium right now. Staying away from heavy as I revise my builds. I do not want any speed impediments or dodge roll cost increases. Dodge rolling is finally somewhat viable in light builds, thank ZOS.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    In so far as you need 5 medium to use Shuffle, yeah, it makes a difference. I get the impression 7 medium is the new meta for stamina, but it's early days and that could be my bias talking. For magicka builds I tend to be in 6 light, 1 medium right now. Staying away from heavy as I revise my builds. I do not want any speed impediments or dodge roll cost increases. Dodge rolling is finally somewhat viable in light builds, thank ZOS.

Odd, I found even in heavy, even in no CP, dodge roll can occur more often.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • notachik
    notachik
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t have any noticeable difference in dodge roll or movement speed in 5 heavy no cp..
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Odd, I found even in heavy, even in no CP, dodge roll can occur more often.
    I don't play heavy. Maybe you can dodge roll more often than you used to in heavy.
    I don’t have any noticeable difference in dodge roll or movement speed in 5 heavy no cp..
    The medium movement speed refers to sprinting.

As a medium player I find dodge roll sustain decreased unless you build more with the improved Well-Fitted and possibly wear Impregnable for the crit resist. This could also be a function of people hitting harder and therefore me dodge rolling more, instinctively. Wearing all medium all Well-Fitted feels more comfortable to me than anything. I do not like heavy armor. Never have. Even on magplar I prefer light armor for the raw damage and adding stamina sustain for defense, rather than going heavy. That's my playstyle. ZOS have thankfully made that approach more viable.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also I play mostly in CP, whereas I know, Waffenacht, you do a lot of BGs, right? E.g. no CP. We've lost something like 20% to 22% dodge roll cost reduction we had in CP before (with 56 to 66 points invested).
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes: Dodge, block, LOS, hots, active mitigation abilities, etc. Also a lot of newer PVPers overlook the importance of map awareness and positioning. Often times players put themselves in bad situations, and when they get killed they blame their build or lag or dsync or their neighbor's noisy dog. But knowing where NOT to be, and picking your fights and battles can prevent you from dying more than you probably should.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are good at kiting or have a super ez survival skill like cloak, streak or spirit mender you can run light and medium pretty easily. Everything else, especially low mobility classes, heavy seems to be the best option.