The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Screenshots saved as BMP

KittyMauge
Is there a way to save the screenshots that we take with Print Screen in jpg format?
Thanks!
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    Not sure... totally at least but I am using Fraps, so .. *shrug* It is not that expensive software.
    Egypt and Antarctica kills off more investigators each year than cancer does.
    Old Call of Cthulhu fact.
  • Ri_Dariit
    Ri_Dariit
    ✭✭✭
    This one has found solution. In game push [Alt] & [Enter], then push [Print Screen]. Ri'Dariit then continues with Paint program and pastes [Ctrl] & [V]. Khajiit can then save in any format (.jpg, .png, etc.)
    Fusozay Var VarJaji kor nirni. Ri'Dariit ahnurr shir Gouranga an vasa rid-t'har.
  • ntcrysteb17_ESO
    Not a perfect solution, but it applies to things other than ESO so you might find it useful: install Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com.

On top of being really a nifty cloud storage option that works on every platform out there, it automatically captures screenshots - when you hit PrtScr - into its own Screenshots folder, in PNG format (not quite as compressed as JPG, but no quality loss either). The folder is also automatically synced with the online cloud, and you can right-click files in it to get a web link copied into your clipboard, ready to be pasted & shared.
    I'm furry for Razum-Dar.
  • Hobotron
    Hobotron
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can specify the screenshot format if you modify the config file. See the following link to find the file.
    pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online
  • KittyMauge
    Thank you very much, editing the UserSettings works like a charm!
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a perfect solution, but it applies to things other than ESO so you might find it useful: install Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com.

On top of being really a nifty cloud storage option that works on every platform out there, it automatically captures screenshots - when you hit PrtScr - into its own Screenshots folder, in PNG format (not quite as compressed as JPG, but no quality loss either). The folder is also automatically synced with the online cloud, and you can right-click files in it to get a web link copied into your clipboard, ready to be pasted & shared.

Most of us don't care about quality but rather file size.

The screenshots are over 7 megabytes in size each.

A .jpg will be around 500kb.

HUGE difference.
  • KittyMauge
    Ok, I tried to take pictures and now it doesn't work. It says that the files are being saved but no new files are showing up in the folder
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm it wont save it as JPG when I change it in usersettings. Any tips how to make it save as JPG without paint program?

It works, had to relog :)
    Edited by saki on April 11, 2014 2:23PM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us don't care about quality
    Please don't presume to speak for anyone but yourself.
  • Bluntski
    Bluntski
    ✭✭
    Open in mspaint, save as jpeg. Takes literally 5 seconds.
    Edited by Bluntski on April 11, 2014 2:27PM
  • Hyperventilate
    Hyperventilate
    ✭✭✭
    Since prntscrn saves to the clipboard anyway, I just paste it into Paint & viola. Save as jpg and problem solved.
  • jimdove
    jimdove
    ✭✭
    dc4z77ezrrw0.bmp
  • Harkrider
    Harkrider
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can tell you how to change the format which pictures save.

Give me a few moments and I'll edit this post.

Locate your UserSettings text file in My Documents.

(C:\Users\_____\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live)

Open the text document.

Press Ctrl + F to bring up a search function.

Type "ScreenshotFormat" and then click Next.

You should now see a line that reads:
    SET ScreenshotFormat "BMP"

Change "BMP" to "JPG", with the quotes intact.

Save the file.

Done.

(I just realized that this thread is many days old, but I will leave this comment here regardless)
    Edited by Harkrider on April 14, 2014 10:54AM
  • KittyMauge
    I did try that edit, it's one of my previous comments. I was unable to take screenshots after that edit :cry:

Oh, I was using a free image viewer that I found it has batch conversion. That baby turned my bmp into jpges in no time.

It would be nice to have the option that the game would convert them for you. Come on! It's not 1999 anymore :wink: !!!
    Edited by KittyMauge on April 15, 2014 1:51PM
  • Hestia
    Hestia
    ✭✭✭
    BMP is such a huge file format to save screenshots as.... I really hope they change it to PNG at least to still keep that nice quality.
    <Alatreon> Daggerfall Covenant | International | PvX | Adult Community | TS3+Mic required.

Recruitment Thread & Website
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Harkrider's post works. I did the same thing myself a few days back and it works perfectly. The only thing to note is that it's "JPG" not "jpg" or ".jpg" from "BMP"

Unfortunately, and this is a minor point, the format/options of JPG compression they're using is the one that permits color loss. It doesn't have to be that way, that's a choice on their part, and it's a shame. The resolution is fine, but the images are desaturated by a noticeable amount.

Ideally, PNG would be the middle of the road, smaller file sizes, and lossless, and retains full saturation/palette. Maybe in patch 1.0.4 ? ;)
  • KittyMauge
    Hmmmm, so I'm still better off taking the screens in bmp, batch convert them with irfan and nuke the bmps...
    Darn it! The servers are down and I cannot test the suggestions here! >:c
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

nr5vid5k4q6o.jpg
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on April 24, 2014 2:55PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really useful. I will try this when I get home. At the moment I have to manually convert all the files into JPEGs using the batch process in an old version of Paint Shop Pro. Flickr is basically being totally useless at the moment and won't upload any bitmap files where previously it used to autoconvert them. I have uploaded over 300 screenies so far so it has been a long job.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wenxue2222/sets/72157641022125593/
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Arisen
    Arisen
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded an extremely helpful addon that allows for me to automatically take screenies in a jpg format. It's called JPGScreenshot, and here is a link to download it here: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info302-JPGScreenshot.html
    Or you can install it with Minion, under the Misc. category. Hopefully that helps. :)
    Edited by Arisen on April 24, 2014 3:01PM
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would you want JPG? bad quality. Just convert the bmp to png
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    In UserSettings.text change;

Documents > Elder Scrolls Online > live (liveeu for Europe) > UserSettings.txt
    SET ScreenshotFormat "BMP"

to
    SET ScreenshotFormat "JPG"

Save change.

As a note, this doesn't work for the Mac client which saves the same format as screenshot i.e. PNG default.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 24, 2014 3:09PM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does it work if you set it to "PNG" instead of "JPG"?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think so. Try it ;) I assume they use the three letter file format.
  • Darka
    Darka
    ✭✭
    My files keep going back to BMP after saving
    What am i doing wrong?
    I am in the file location
    Edited by Darka on April 26, 2014 10:28AM
    The Defender Gaming Community Est 2006
    Juganoth - Late Night Gaming on Ebon Heart Pact/Wabbajack
    Social Guild of Older Gamers
    "To Those who walked before us
    You made us what we are
    To Those who come after us
    Let us give as good as we got."
  • Harkrider
    Harkrider
    ✭✭✭
    Darka wrote: »
    My files keep going back to BMP after saving

Make sure the game is not active whenever you're changing settings in the text docu.

Also, right-click the text docu, click Properties, and check the box next to "Read-Only".
  • Darka
    Darka
    ✭✭
    @Harkrider‌
    Thanks mate appreciated, that last tip got it working
    The Defender Gaming Community Est 2006
    Juganoth - Late Night Gaming on Ebon Heart Pact/Wabbajack
    Social Guild of Older Gamers
    "To Those who walked before us
    You made us what we are
    To Those who come after us
    Let us give as good as we got."
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    I think so. Try it ;) I assume they use the three letter file format.
    It doesnt support PNG, it doesnt create any screenshots for me if I set it to PNG, you have to save it as bmp and manually convert to png
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh neat, I had just been using GIMP to convert them. This will save some time.
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always used FRAPS and just disabled the in game screen capture 'feature'. However, the unregistered version only saves in BMP if I recall, which won't change anything if you're already having issues with ESO not saving in the format you want to use.

The registered version will save in BMP, JPG, PNG and TGA, as well as allow you to select the save directory for both screenshots and movies, plus various other options. It will also show your approximate FPS in the game, if you like to keep track of that.

All of my screenshots and videos go to the same place, regardless of what game I'm in, and I just move them to subdirectories from there. They all have the name of the game being played, the date and the time in the file name, which makes it convenient when sorting them to their proper directories.

The biggest drawback to the registered version for many people is the price. They just aren't willing to pony up $37 US for it. I bought my license several years ago when it was on some sort of special, and haven't regretted it at all.
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.