The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Best Class for a pure DoT build?

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Title says it all.

I‘d like to play a class that’s mainly focused on damage over time. I‘m having a Warden at the moment and wanting to play them as some kind of bleed / DoT focus build. But now I am thinking about Templar or Nightblade as well and not sure on what to play.

I already have a DK, Necromancer and Sorc, so they are not really an option for me to play at the moment.

So, two questions:

1. what do you think is the overall best class to play a build that’s focused on DoTs?

2. out of Templar, Nightblade and Warden which offers the best options for a DoT focused build?

I‘d even go as far as playing a hybrid for maximum DoTs. Which class would you recommend?

I do not want to play meta builds or do vet trials, I’m mostly playing individual PvP.

Thanks!
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    DK is all about dots :)

For the Queen bby
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I‘d even go as far as playing a hybrid for maximum DoTs. Which class would you recommend?

For maximizing non-class or off-stat DOTs, there's no better class than Necromancer in my opinion, but of the three classes you mentioned, personally I'd go with Templar since you can stack Spell Damage and get more mileage out of Pelinal's than the other 2 classes with Minor Sorcery, but Warden has the most convenient source of Minor Berserk, which is ideal for Hybrids. On a DOT build you might favor Caltrops over Deep Fissure for Breach, so the only Animal Companion skill you might use for damage is Swarm, which has a stam and mag morph anyhow, so why not just run a DOT MagDen? Winterborn is quite strong.

Of course DK works well for a DOT build in Mag, Stam, or Hybrid, all with one toon and one stop at a shrine.

Edited by Urzigurumash on February 27, 2021 2:07PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdk with destro can stack 5 fire dot skills and banner plus extend them all 5 seconds with elfbane. It is the dot/aoe class... and its just cool with all the fire effects. Your just not gonna see the same thing with poison though many sets create poison dots.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necros have a passive increasing damage of ALL DoT.

DKs have a passive only increase DoT time of a few skills in one skill line of the class.

My main is a PvP magdk and I have a few PvP ALTs including a stamcro. I'll say considering constant nerfs on magdks, please select stamcro if you're just starting.

It's very difficult to fight classes with good purge if you're using a pure DoT build. Magdks are limited in fire damage and it's difficult to fight dark elves.

I started my magdk too early when the nerfs were not all enforced yet... and I'm now at PvP rank 40+ already... I'll build another PvP main after reaching 50.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar: deadly, releq, krags/selene, MA bow. Poison fromt bar, berserk enchant back bar.

5 fighters guild skills + jabs front bar
    3 fighters guild skills + endless hail+repentance+restoring focus

PvP: same sets, replace relequen. Use DSA bow

On front bar replace crosbow with hidden dagger gap closer morp, rest are same, ob back bar: purge, repentance, vigor, restoring focus, draining shot, any ult you want

Stamplar is the king of DoTs. Jabs are his crown. First build is good old jabs only atamplar. Second build is theory crafted, beware.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DK is the obvious choice, but I play my stamden like this: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=295307

Edit: the numbers look a bit funny as I haven't applied the new cp to it yet.
    Edited by relentless_turnip on March 1, 2021 6:04PM
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka DK with Elf Bane is THE DoT build. You can effectively fill up all skills with DoTs and whip and still have time to smack the boss with your whip while every DoT is burning.
    Playing since beta...
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK is the obvious choice for a pure DOT build. The arent exactly at the top of the food chain right now for pure DPS, but you will find a Z'en/Elfbane DOT build in just about every competitive raid.

Now a DK is still going to use a spammable. If you really want to ditch a spammable for a true DOT build, Magic Necro is actually a very strong option. You still need to manage blastbones, but you can break 100k without a spam skill.
  • tenryuta
    tenryuta
    ✭✭✭
    nightblade:shade and path say hello
    universal:soul trap, entropy, orb(with oblivions foe/war maiden)
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK is the obvious choice for a pure DOT build. The arent exactly at the top of the food chain right now for pure DPS, but you will find a Z'en/Elfbane DOT build in just about every competitive raid.

Now a DK is still going to use a spammable. If you really want to ditch a spammable for a true DOT build, Magic Necro is actually a very strong option. You still need to manage blastbones, but you can break 100k without a spam skill.

You noticed OP is talking about PvP, right?
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for DK and/or Necromancer PvE - AoE and/or DoT builds.

Because I enjoy the AoE farming and DoT playstyle.

I've found some videos showing off rotations on atro dummies, but not actual builds listing armor sets, and skills used.

I've been especially curious about the Necromancer skill that provides extra damage to DoT.

Suggestions of what sets are best for either maximum AoE damage or DoT playstyle?

Edited by TankHealz2015 on April 17, 2021 1:51AM
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Necromancer. Here you can run dual wield and bow and run a general dot build. With Deadly Strikes and Sheer Venom with Master Daggers and Blackrose Bow. The only class skill you will use is Detonating siphon and maybe the skeletal archer for the passive bonuses it gives. Everything else will be off class dots.

Alternatively, you can drop the bow and run two handed and instead make a bleed build. Running Blooddrinker and Unleashed Terror with Master Daggers and Merciless Charge. Stack your bleeds. The great thing about this is that Merciless Charge bleed stacks with your Unleashed Terror on one skill. So you could just simply dash about putting 40k bleeds on different targets. Until you get shut down that is ;).
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamina Necromancer. Here you can run dual wield and bow and run a general dot build. With Deadly Strikes and Sheer Venom with Master Daggers and Blackrose Bow. The only class skill you will use is Detonating siphon and maybe the skeletal archer for the passive bonuses it gives. Everything else will be off class dots.

Alternatively, you can drop the bow and run two handed and instead make a bleed build. Running Blooddrinker and Unleashed Terror with Master Daggers and Merciless Charge. Stack your bleeds. The great thing about this is that Merciless Charge bleed stacks with your Unleashed Terror on one skill. So you could just simply dash about putting 40k bleeds on different targets. Until you get shut down that is ;).

It takes too many GCD to stack a bunch of dot skills, burst builds will kill you b4 you are finished. You need to use proc sets and poisons to stack as many dots as possible in 1-2 GCD.

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On warden you can do a full bleed build, but you will have to dip into procsets.
    Masters dw, vma 2h, unleashed etc.
    StamDK is not bad for a pure dot build, venomous claw hits very hard if left unpurged.
    I wouldn't go Templar tho, their class dots are fairly weak and they don't get any %dmg bonuses to boost procset dmg.
    Stamplar you can play with deadly strike, but you will still have to dip into procsets, and the spec just isn't tanky enough to pull off an attrition dot like build in anything other than a pure 1v1.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdk with destro can stack 5 fire dot skills and banner plus extend them all 5 seconds with elfbane. It is the dot/aoe class... and its just cool with all the fire effects. Your just not gonna see the same thing with poison though many sets create poison dots.

If wanting to do a poison DOT you use bow and Swamp Raiders. Of course you could use stamnecro with bow and swamp raiders and load up the disease/poison melee and ranged.
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭
    Purpose:

PvE: arenas, vet dungeons including some vet hm dungeons, maybe some medium difficulty trials.

• Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget the new blue star slottable CP that boosts DOT damage by 15%.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

Temporarily settled for this:

PvE - MagDK (DPS) - Fire theme

front bar is all fire class abilities and back bar is fire wall of elements and a couple free slots.

I have BSW, Innate Axiom, and Silk of the Sun

Not sure which two sets from the three above would give best results.
  • Vilixiti
    Vilixiti
    ✭✭✭
    Temporarily settled for this:

PvE - MagDK (DPS) - Fire theme

front bar is all fire class abilities and back bar is fire wall of elements and a couple free slots.

I have BSW, Innate Axiom, and Silk of the Sun

Not sure which two sets from the three above would give best results.

Give elf bane a shot. It buffs all the fire damage over time skills for 5s while in combat, including things like destro ultimate, DK banner, burning status effect, ilambris and grothdarr monster sets. It’s pretty awesome and makes the DK feel better as a class IMO because it removes a bit of the micro managing and helps with overall sustain
    Edited by Vilixiti on April 20, 2021 1:26AM
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necros have a passive giving strictly buff to ALL DoT damages, no matter they're done by weapons or class skills.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nb6612y8key61.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a73223a17c80dbafd7ec445a6c99e91cc8d6dd18
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭
    Siphon without BB for corpses ?
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rebiludo wrote: »

Meh. Things die
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rebiludo wrote: »
    I got skeletal Mage too
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say none in a PvP context, as DoTs aren't effective on live nor PTS IMO, and certainly not DK in a PvP scenario.

DK skills are wonky and don't fire properly - that alone is reason enough to stay away from a DoT build on one. But the damage is also bad, especially when hp recovery can negate 2-3 DoTs, CP star cleans all DoTs, CP star lowers DoT time, Warden netch, necro damage reduction of DoTs, cloak, etc. - and don't forget procs coming back. All combined make DoTs a bad sell.

But maybe it's just me.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As many have already said it's the Dragonknight class you're after OP. I know you already have one, but at the end of the day they are THE damage over time class.

Sadly all DoT builds suffer the same fate in PVP, which is understandable why you're trying to find something new. The problem with DoT builds is that Templars, Wardens, and Necromancers have built in harmful effect purging abilities and all damage over time abilities you apply on targets, which are the DoTs you use in PVP, can be cleansed by these abilities. Throw in the Alliance War group Purge and no matter how many DoTs you apply you won't be able to really kill anyone. Now against DKs, NBs, Sorcs, and players of the three classes I mentioned early not slotting their purges will be easy pickings for a DoT build, but if any of them have a purge you lose a massive chunk of your damage.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer is best for DOTS.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Night_Child
    Night_Child
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought DK, Necro, & Magicka NB were good with DoTs, however, the NB acts more like a Warlock in this case and though it looks good on paper, you'd have to spec the rest of the build to perfection just to make it work. DK was an awesome choice. 🙂
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer

Their power is so omniscient that they can transcend dimensions and even effect game forums by resurrecting old topics.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."