The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Mount size slider request

INe_Saninus
INe_Saninus
✭✭✭
Horse size is weird and seems to be fluid. It even seems to change when you approach other players. Perspective also seems to effect this.
Or you find the perfect mount for your toon and it just looks way too small.

My request is simple: let me adjust the size of my mount.

Clearly the game is doing all kind of strange checks and auto adjusting.
Just give me a slider that controls that.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount size is based off character height currently which is why it's variable and not fixed.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • INe_Saninus
    INe_Saninus
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Mount size is based off character height currently which is why it's variable and not fixed.

But it changes in game depending on your perspective or those around you.
    Try it.
    Mount and ride up to another person on a mount.
    Especially if they're a different race and height than you.
    There is a little coding magic at work that I don't understand, but it's definitely there.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

My request is simple: let me adjust the size of my mount.

Isn't that a strange wish? I mean, in reality, riders of different sizes on creatures of different sizes sometimes look extremely large or small. Depending on whether there are small or large people on small or large animals.

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Try it.
    There is a little coding magic at work that I don't understand, but it's definitely there.

That could very well be an optical illusion.

Just like with those squares inside and outside of circles of the same size (or vice versa), or the way that the same shade of gray can look lighter or darker depending on what it’s next to. As you change your surroundings and see your character and mount next to items of different sizes, especially other riders on different size mounts, your brain perceives the same heights differently because of the new comparisons.

I mean, there *could* be some coding at work to accomplish this objectively — I don’t work for ZOS and can’t say for sure — but it would be beyond sorely inefficient and into the category of a complete waste of time and resources.
  • INe_Saninus
    INe_Saninus
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Try it.

That could very well be an optical illusion.

Just like with those squares inside and outside of circles of the same size (or vice versa), or the way that the same shade of gray can look lighter or darker depending on what it’s next to. As you change your surroundings and see your character and mount next to items of different sizes, especially other riders on different size mounts, your brain perceives the same heights differently because of the new comparisons.

I mean, there *could* be some coding at work to accomplish this objectively — I don’t work for ZOS and can’t say for sure — but it would be beyond sorely inefficient and into the category of a complete waste of time and resources.

The coding is already there. It's noticeable if you're looking for it.
    Your mount will change sizes depending on who is around you.
    I just want control over it for aesthetic reasons.
    I can't imagine that would be a huge dev time investment, but what do I know? Lol

...and I don't know why that coding exists.
    It's tricky to catch.
    My guess is it saves on resources because our characters and mounts are rendered all at the same size and they play a little camera/perspective trick to make these things look larger or smaller.
    Edited by INe_Saninus on February 28, 2021 10:48AM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't mean to be condescending or anything here, as this is super basic, but...

Is it possible you're just mistaking the FoV effect as "variable mount sizing"? If you run a high Field of View, things get larger as you get closer and as they get further away from the center of your vision. This would apply to everything on your screen that is not part of the UI.

Mounts are differently sized, based on the rider; but it is static (as far as I'm aware). I'm with @virtus753 on this -- I'd be very surprised to learn that mounts are dynamically changing size based on... well, anything. It makes no sense.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall Oblivion was the same way. My tiny elf's horse scaled down to her size. So I used the command codes to boost the size of her horse so when it scaled to her it was still a big horse. The reason they did that in Oblivion (and I presume ESO) is clipping of the character's legs. The character may have a couple 'sit on a mount' animations but for each type of critter (horse, cat, etc) their legs are spread to a fixed distance for their height. If you make the horse larger, their legs clip into the horse's sides. I can't believe having a normal sitting position on a full size horse is 'too hard'. My tiny Bosmer still wants a full size horse - not the pony the game scales her mare to.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on February 28, 2021 12:30PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • INe_Saninus
    INe_Saninus
    ✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I honestly don't mean to be condescending or anything here, as this is super basic, but...

Is it possible you're just mistaking the FoV effect as "variable mount sizing"? If you run a high Field of View, things get larger as you get closer and as they get further away from the center of your vision. This would apply to everything on your screen that is not part of the UI.

Mounts are differently sized, based on the rider; but it is static (as far as I'm aware). I'm with @virtus753 on this -- I'd be very surprised to learn that mounts are dynamically changing size based on... well, anything. It makes no sense.

I don't find it condescending.
    Everyone makes mistakes. I am no exception.
    But... I don't think I'm wrong on this.
    It's possible, but I don't THINK so.

I've noticed the fov thing when your moving or shifting the camera view.
    I really don't think that's what I'm seeing.

If you ever catch it, you can't not see it.
    ...but it's hard to catch.
    I really think it an optical illusion/depth trick.
    Without moving (camera or toon) your mount size will change when standing next to another player.
    I've pointed out to people before and they saw it too.

Developers use all kinds of tricks with perspective and fov to save on space.

*For example look at the round daedric portals that enemies spawn in at.
    You can walk around them and they take up a 3d space but the effect inside the portal is 2d. It never changes with your perspective.
    I feel like I'm witnessing a trick in a similar fashion.

I'm not a developer or coder, but it makes more sense to me that rather than have 60(?) different character models for your toons and your mounts, that they have just a few and it's actually a perspective trick that changes the height of our characters based on our surroundings.
    Or more to the point: how we perceive the height and size of our characters based on what around them.

Regardless, I'm going to stop bumping this thread because it doesn't seem to be an interest to anyone but myself.

Sometimes it seems my mount is the appropriate size for my character and sometimes it seems to small.
    I would like too have some control over this.

That's all.
    Edited by INe_Saninus on February 28, 2021 6:14PM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This kind of sounds like a dead pixel in your monitor sort of thing, then... As in, I definitely don't want to notice it, because I'll never unsee it and it'll probably drive me crazy! haha
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Debate about what causes variable mount sizing aside I really do wish I could make my horses larger. They're so small.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨