The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PvE - Whats gonne change?

Tobylator
Tobylator
Soul Shriven
Hi,
I m a couple of months into this game, building different toons and trying to progress them into vetPvE and at some point PvP. So far I stick to alcastHQ builds and gearing guides.
Now with the crit nerfs I wonder how much of those guides I should still follow and what else gonne change. FalseGod/Mothers, yokeda/Relequen for example. My tank will still wear 5 heavy and medium sets as weapon and jewels, cause I dont think ZOS will allow tanks to run around in medium.

So basically it would be great if you could prepare some of the lesser experience players regarding PvE, because it will take time till new guides are written or changed. You can throw all the information for all classes in here, that would be great. So I can savely invest my transmute crystalls :)

Thx
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alcast has general good advice, but his builds are fit to his playstyle. Most players also forget Alcast's general group advices to focus on their individual builds (ie, energy orb, 1 Morag, 1 Alkosh per group ...).

For instance, Relequen is great if you consistently light attack against high health target that cannot purge, which is perfect in dungeons and trials, but way less performing than other options in overland or PvP.

You may be surprised by how tanks with 5 mediums and a light set as jewelry/weapons can perform.

Just couple months in the game, I'd suggest you to try out gear and skill combinations to get a playstyle that fits yourself.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 4.6+k hrs of game, am 853 on EU and currently 675 on NA. The best advice I can give to you is: try ALWAYS to understand the why's of any advice, and evaluate if it fits your personal style of gaming.

A simple example: every good site with guides (there are many, the first ones that occur to me now are Alcast, Xinode, Hack the Minotaur and LuckyGhost) gives table of CP allocations. Don't take them at face value, never, ever. Try to understand why the values are related to the sets advised for that build, and if this is what YOU really want to obtain.

Another: on my oldest toon/build (a breton magplar, dd with some heal once in a while) I always alternate one puncture with TWO light attacks. This definitely is not a general rule, it fits nicely with my hands, my controller, my ping, the build I use and who knows what else. I found it by trial and error, and your best way may well be different. This toon soloes FG1 in 6-7 minutes (skipping), has done tons of vet content and relies both on sustain and decent dps level (about 40k on average). No trial sets used.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For sets at the moment it seems little changes except that max health/stamina/magicka sets are getting nerfed by roughly 20%. Crit sets will still be the way to go for PVE dps, Medusa is getting a bit better compared to Mothers Sorrow but its a small difference. Sustain will change due to the CP system, maybe we can run max stam/mag + regen food because we're getting more base health, its difficult to say if sets like False God are still needed. Relequen will still be top for single target dps and Advancing Yokeda will remain one of the best options for stam DDs.

The biggest change in terms of gear is to melee weapon types, axes will become pretty much useless, swords are a little better, mauls are probably the best choice for solo/unorganized groups and daggers will probably be best in optimized groups.

Tanking will change a lot, I think medium is getting a lot more viable because you get a lot of benefits and no disadvantages, except lower armor rating which is relatively easy to increase. I dont know if it will be better than heavy but the difference will be less than it is currently on live.

Save your transmute stones and upgrade mats, just farm CP in the mean time and wait for the changes to go live before you decide to make new gear.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Duplomancer
    Duplomancer
    ✭✭✭
    They are pretty quick to update their guides as well, pretty sure Alqast at least will have it updated when the patch drops. I tend to use Alqast's gear guides as a sort of baseline. Once I get a build together, I check it out and adjust to my liking. YMMV.
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20%+ nerf to dps, anything on a timer will be harder or impossible. Play as you want RP will be awesome Mages with daggers etc. Will be fun.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like ALCAST.. HTM has some good vids on upcoming changes as well (I say this because I'm always looking at hybrids).
    Edited by QuebraRegra on February 24, 2021 9:50PM
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in the camp of wondering what changes I need to make to prepare my tanks and healers for next patch.
  • honey_badger82
    honey_badger82
    ✭✭✭✭
    In live I currently have a Templar Imperial tank who wears 5 med 2 heavy, nothing reinforced and my mundus is not for armor yet I still am near max on my tank bar and 27k physical resist on my dps bar as long as I stand in my rune.

With cp 2.0 I will be changing literally all of his gear and from the looks of it will get an increase in damage and if I dip below 50% health max armor when in my rune and on tank bar. It will still be a 5 med 2 heavy setup but will need at least 2 pieces reinforced.
    The only thing I dont know about is how the reduced resistances will affect PvE tanking even though in general my armor will be higher, I will have close to 10% less resistance to all types of damage due to the new CP system.