The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Linking Account to Steam

Miguesim
Miguesim
✭✭
If i link my ESO to Steam, do i always have to use steam to log into teh game, or can i use the launcher that i download for bethesda?
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by link your ESO account to Steam, but I'll say this:

I bought ESO through Steam, and now I'm forever locked to launching it through Steam; last I checked there's no way around it. The standalone launcher doesn't accept Steam credentials. And I regret doing it this way, because even though it doesn't happen that often there are times where the ESO servers are up and running just fine, but only Steam players are locked out due to some technical mishap. I can hop onto my second account (not linked to Steam in any way) on the same server, no problemo.

AFAIK, there's no good reason at all to buy through Steam, and I'm not aware of any reason to link accounts after the fact if you bought the standalone version of ESO. But then again I'm not clear on what you mean by "link" accounts, so take my word with a pinch of salt.
  • ZOS_Chiroptera
    ZOS_Chiroptera
    ✭✭✭
    Hello @Miguesim,

If you own a PC version of ESO purchased via the ESO store, as well as one purchased through Steam, you can link your accounts here. With your accounts linked, you will be able to login to ESO with either the Steam or the desktop launcher. To clarify, you will not be able to use the Bethesda.Net launcher, just the one downloaded via the ESO website.
    Edited by ZOS_Chiroptera on February 21, 2021 9:34PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by link your ESO account to Steam, but I'll say this:

I bought ESO through Steam, and now I'm forever locked to launching it through Steam; last I checked there's no way around it. The standalone launcher doesn't accept Steam credentials. And I regret doing it this way, because even though it doesn't happen that often there are times where the ESO servers are up and running just fine, but only Steam players are locked out due to some technical mishap. I can hop onto my second account (not linked to Steam in any way) on the same server, no problemo.

AFAIK, there's no good reason at all to buy through Steam, and I'm not aware of any reason to link accounts after the fact if you bought the standalone version of ESO. But then again I'm not clear on what you mean by "link" accounts, so take my word with a pinch of salt.

There is, but it's risky. I've liberated a few friends from Steam by buying game keys for them when they were on sale and had them log into their game account through the site and then apply the key. After that they were able to log in and play their DLCs, however from one of them I remember that if they had a subscription through Steam, they had to keep logging in from there until they stopped the sub and the time ran out. It should be noted though that this was at least over two years ago, so it may or may not still work, so that's why I emphasize the risk.

I was one of the lucky ones that had bought through Steam before 2016 and was able to avoid the Steam issues that happened after that. But seeing how my friends were strongarmed from Steam several times, I kept digging and that was the only solution I had found.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey, thanks @Sephyr ! Steam doesn't burden me too greatly, but if I can unshackle from it I'd like to know. I'll look into it again. Thanks for making the risks clear, too!

Much appreciated! :)