Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Reverse the emote block bug fix!

Rykoth
Rykoth
✭✭✭✭
Emotes can no longer be started while blocking.
Blocking during an emote will now interrupt it.

This is an odd request, but the reason for the request is it harms absolutely no one!

One of the things I know many in the RP Community have wanted for years is personalities and emotes that appropriately use our *equipped* weapons. Using the desert rain kata emote, or the swashbuckler idles... all well and good, but we want to have OUR weapons out for it, not some manifested weapon we pulled out of our pocket >.>

So please, reconsider this bug fix, and let us do these emotes. Great screenshots are able to be taken because of it. Instead of a big Nord suddenly having a saber out and planting it on the ground, a Nord can have his warhammer out. It makes a world of difference! Unless of course, you're willing to make the emotes use our equipped weapons as a main feature... but otherwise, please please please undo this fix.
Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, they specifically - on live stream - scoffed at the idea of fixing the "running on your mount" thing.

This seems equally harmless - so why "fix" this?
  • Scourch
    Scourch
    ✭✭
    I have to chime in on this as well. I've been playing long enough that I have my monkey pet and RPing has been my primary way to play ESO. Fixing such a silly thing seems like a waste of manpower and time for something that actually brings enjoyment to the games players. I mean, just look at how badass this!

fk9zpus885gt.jpg

C'mon ZoS. You mean to tell me I shouldn't be able to do this, because why, exactly? If people want to use the emote as intended, great! And for people like Rykoth and I, who use it in our RP and for screenshots and whatnot, we can't have it because ...? Please, please consider leaving this alone.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mikemacon wrote: »
    I mean, they specifically - on live stream - scoffed at the idea of fixing the "running on your mount" thing.

This seems equally harmless - so why "fix" this?

The only thing I can think of is that there's some kind of combat exploit being used, but as much as I PvP, I've really never seen it unless there's also another exploit with personalities. Which even then, they're not fixing the issue with the personality and instead just hurting something that's relatively harmless if it doesn't affect combat. @ZOS_GinaBruno we need more transparency with stuff like this. RPers are players too.
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with everything that you have said here. I too, also like taking screenshots with this bug & its such an amazing feature. I've taken so many screenshots as well, another example of the bug in action on another emote.

bdpfmjgifvwm.jpg

Please, I'm begging you guys, leave this alone... I feel that this is a relatively harmless bug & so many of us RP players enjoy using it.
    Edited by JazzyNova on February 9, 2021 4:44PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am so disappointed that I only just found out about this bug, and now it's getting patched out! I love taking screenshots, but I always hated that things like /desertrain and the Swashbuckler personality pulled out (unbotainable, might I add) weapons for that. I broke down and searched so many guild traders to get the /gladiatortaunt emote, which I've been loving for screenshots.

Screw 'bug,' this 100% should have been a feature from the beginning!
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have nothing to do with rp personally, but leave this in pls.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't RP to but if something gives people fun and is harmless then why change it? Just for another line in "Fixes and improvements" section? Come on, don't do it :/
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better fix important stuff
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basic stats and Advanced UI isn't working on the PTS, but sure, let's spend resources on fixing something completely harmless instead.
    Edited by phantasmalD on February 10, 2021 8:16PM
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    :'(
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am seriously wondering why would. can wee have an explanation?
    Does it ruin the game somehow?

I really am quite unhappy with this.

Will think twice about getting so eso plus :(
    Edited by WiseSky on February 12, 2021 3:57AM
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    This glitch I feel like is completely harmless & does not break the game in any way. I also cannot think of any logical reason or way that the bug can be exploited.

I am crossing my fingers that this change does not come to live, as it is so useful for taking screenshots & roleplaying.

9v4WMfQ.png
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players are just begging to devs to not ruin the game.

ZoS should stop wasting manpower on these harmless but funny bugs and fix the important ones. Wayrest sewers are still bugged and ZoS is aware of this. But they "fix" the funny stuff...
    Edited by Luckylancer on February 12, 2021 5:47AM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only thing that sounds plausible as of why is because this bug looks cooler than most of the personalities they put out when it arguably makes those personalities WORTH the money.

If this change goes live, I'm not investing in further personalities as they lack uniqueness, they're repetitive, the animations aren't as well done and it's sad that a bug has to accentuate that fact.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for them out there that RP i see how this change could make you all mad
    but with emote glitching an lag in pvp i see why they fixed on this when trying to improve on pvp running better as braking code to get this to work must be hard on system making lag happen around you too
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on February 12, 2021 9:52PM
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    but with emote glitching an lag in pvp i see why they fixed on this when trying to improve on pvp running better as braking code to get this to work must be hard on system making lag happen around you too

where is the proof that its making lag?
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they “fixed” it on accident and don’t know how to put it back.
  • Elsha
    Elsha
    ✭✭
    Scourch wrote: »
    I have to chime in on this as well. I've been playing long enough that I have my monkey pet and RPing has been my primary way to play ESO. Fixing such a silly thing seems like a waste of manpower and time for something that actually brings enjoyment to the games players. I mean, just look at how badass this!

fk9zpus885gt.jpg

C'mon ZoS. You mean to tell me I shouldn't be able to do this, because why, exactly? If people want to use the emote as intended, great! And for people like Rykoth and I, who use it in our RP and for screenshots and whatnot, we can't have it because ...? Please, please consider leaving this alone.

I am in love with this picture and whole-heartedly agree with you! ZoS has bigger issues like idk FIXING THE GAME AND KEEPING IT FROM CRASHING REPEATEDLY. seems to me they don't have their priorities straight.
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally dont RP but this "bug" was very usefull to me as a tank in dungeons and trials. At the moment you can use shout outs like "Handle the adds" "Heal me" "Synergy ability is cast" while blocking so the group knows what to do. Otherwise it would interrupt the the block and leave you open for heavy attacks and other one hit mechanics.

So I agree it shouldnt be removed, also its funny when you use the "Arrow To The Knee" emote with a 2h sword and the sword gets shot into your leg.
    Edited by xI_The_Owl_Ix on February 13, 2021 12:51PM
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not remove the fun out of the game.
    It doesn't give any combat advantage.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »

anytime you brake coding it makes an bottle neck in the system IE LAG SO even my 7 year old understands it without needing to see ZOS reports showing spikes in LAG when there code get bugged
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on February 13, 2021 9:18PM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

anytime you brake coding it makes an bottle neck in the system IE LAG SO even my 7 year old understands it without needing to see ZOS reports showing spikes in LAG when there code get bugged

I'm not a coder, so I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about here, but...

Just because something has unintended side effects doesn't mean code is getting broken somewhere, does it?

Seems like you're making a bit of an assumption, there. A reasonable one, sure -- but someone asking for something to back up your assertion doesn't seem ridicule-worthy.

All that aside, let's just assume this is the case, and this bug's causing some kind of technical issues. Would it hurt ZOS to say, "Sorry y'all, but this unintended feature has to be fixed because it's doing bad things behind the scenes!" or something like that? As players who enjoy this bug, we'd just like to get a little official communication on why they're taking away a beloved "feature".

Doesn't seem like such an unreasonable ask, to me...

• Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »

I'm not a coder, so I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about here, but...

Just because something has unintended side effects doesn't mean code is getting broken somewhere, does it?

Seems like you're making a bit of an assumption, there. A reasonable one, sure -- but someone asking for something to back up your assertion doesn't seem ridicule-worthy.

All that aside, let's just assume this is the case, and this bug's causing some kind of technical issues. Would it hurt ZOS to say, "Sorry y'all, but this unintended feature has to be fixed because it's doing bad things behind the scenes!" or something like that? As players who enjoy this bug, we'd just like to get a little official communication on why they're taking away a beloved "feature".

Doesn't seem like such an unreasonable ask, to me...

im with you on ZOS being more open would be helpful but thats on everything we never get told the REAL REASON FOR ANYTHING AROUND THIS PLACE
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be upset at the people that use this bug to desync people in pvp. Zos , please fix that issue and allow this feature to remain or create same for quality of life.
  • Rykoth
    Rykoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this has to be removed because of coding whatever...

The least that could be done is to take any emote that creates a weapon out of thin air and replace it with whatever weapon is equipped, and then use the pre-loaded weapon if say... you're unarmed xD I don't know, because getting rid of this bug is a bit "RIP."
    Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
    Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for providing your thoughts and feedback on this change, which was originally done to address some visual issues and clipping that would occur when performing emotes. However, after reviewing several threads, we recognize many of you prefer to see your weapons while using emotes despite any visual oddities that may occur. As such, we are working on reverting this change. Thanks again for all the feedback!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for providing your thoughts and feedback on this change, which was originally done to address some visual issues and clipping that would occur when performing emotes. However, after reviewing several threads, we recognize many of you prefer to see your weapons while using emotes despite any visual oddities that may occur. As such, we are working on reverting this change. Thanks again for all the feedback!

Thank you for listening to us RPers!
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, this sounds fun! Looking forward to more fun screenshots now that I know this is a possibility.

So, how can I emote while blocking to keep my axe out? I can't get the emotes to trigger while I'm blocking. Is there a trick to it?
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Marvelous!

I only found out about this thing recently, so it's nice knowing we can all continue take nice screenshots with it.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Credit where credit is due; ZOS listened to their fans and is going out of their way to reverse a change they publicly committed to. This is very cool, and exceptionally rare.

WE DID IT, Y'ALL!!

You know what? Everyone line up! HIGH FIVES FOR EVERYONE!! ;D