The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Attribute allocation for each class

s_tac
s_tac
Soul Shriven
I know there's plenty of variation depending on the set you're wearing, but generally how do you all allocate your attributes for each class: DPS, Tank, and Healer?

Best Answers

• etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at most of the build sites and actual used builds them something like

DPS: 10 in health, 54 in stam or magicka according to what you do
    Healer: 64 in magicka
    PVP: 20 in health, 44 in stam/magicka (that's the old rule of thumb), I'd question if 20 is enough in the current tanky pvp

Tanks are more complicated - but generally at least 40 in health. Where the rest goes is very very build dependant.
    Too many toons not enough time
    Answer ✓
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You go for numbers you want to have, it depends on class, role, race, sets.
    if you dont tank trials you can go with 64 into stamina or magicka, depending on what resource you main when solo.
    Also, when new patch hits if stats stay as they are as DD go full stam/magicka, we will have enough health from cp 2.0
    Awake, but at what cost
    Answer ✓
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only talking about PvE here -

Stam Dps: 64 stam
    Mag Dps: 64 mag
    Healer: 64 mag

The stam or mag is what fuels your fighting so put all attributes towards it. You'll find that leaves you with rather unimpressive health. You can boost that health up to a comfortable number (I like about 19k) with food and one other 'boost' depending on your class. If your class doesn't have something to boost your health (like the sorc gets health when a pet is summoned), then get that one boost from a set that has a health boost on it or enchant one of your 'big' pieces of armor (helm, chest, legs) with health.

Tank. It is all about your desired end numbers here. I want my tank to have close to 40k health, about 21k stam and about 20k magicka. How you get there depends on your class, race, gear sets and enchantments. Your attributes are easy enough to respec and I use them to 'fine tune' things to end up close to my target numbers.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only talking about PvE here -

Stam Dps: 64 stam
    Mag Dps: 64 mag
    Healer: 64 mag

The stam or mag is what fuels your fighting so put all attributes towards it. You'll find that leaves you with rather unimpressive health. You can boost that health up to a comfortable number (I like about 19k) with food and one other 'boost' depending on your class

Right. ALWAYS MAX the resource pool that you use most, Magicka or Stamina. Those are the "workhorse" resources.

NEVER put points into Health since that is like "empty calories." Instead, BUFF all your stats, as needed, with GLYPHS or Armor/Weapon Set Buffs. Armor buffs and Glyphs can raise Health to fairly high levels.

Example -- Tanks do NOT actually need mega-health; they need mega-ARMOR/RESISTANCE. So, using the Pariah Set and the Brass Fortress Set along with Chudan's Mask and Shoulders gives you a tank with moderate health (about 30,000 because of Heavy Armor Passive Buffs and racial buffs as Imperial race as well as glyphs) with a massive amount of ARMOR and physical/spell resistance (38,000 to 45,000). (Switch to two other Heavy Armor Sets when you want to be a high-damage Tank in the lower tier dungeons or in delves or overland work.)

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SpiritofESO unless I'm mistaken or things have changed, I thought the cap for resists was ~33k? My tank is built to hit right at 33k on resists. I do agree that high resists are important for a tank.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SpiritofESO unless I'm mistaken or things have changed, I thought the cap for resists was ~33k? My tank is built to hit right at 33k on resists. I do agree that high resists are important for a tank.

The cap is abuout 33K (32768 I think). There are a bunch of situations where 30K base health makes it very very hard to survive as tank.

Also for a tank you don't switch to other heavy sets for overland or delves. You switch to two medium or light sets depending upon your other pools. In addition you pick proc sets if you have very little in stamina/magicka so you can still do 10-20K dps and more on groups.

Putting it all into magicka/stamina does work for experienced players *with lots of champion points*. It doesn't work well in other situations and certainly not for newer players who don't have 450 or more champion points yet. You can tell the 'I put it all in X' toons in those cases - they are the ones who spend most of the dungeon as floor ornaments.

All of this may well change dramatically with the new update of course
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭

[Edit: 2:20pm, Monday, Feb. 8] Not sure where you are getting this 33K cap. My Character Sheet shows --

~ Magicka 14,958, Health 29,341, Stamina 31,139
    ~ Spell Resistance 48,408
    ~ Physical Resistance 45,553

Currently my Imperial Dragonknight is showing on the Character Screen 48,000 Spell Resist and 45,000 Physical Resist.

The greater amount of Spell Resist comes from a Dragonknight Passive called, I believe, "Scaled Armor."

My Dragonknight, in Brass Fortress, Pariah's and Chudan's can tank DRAGONS. Can survive those MASSIVE blasts from the Lightning Dragon that are like five to seven seconds long in Southern Elsweyr.

By the way, she has NO POINTS in Health or Magicka. She has 29.3K Health and is a pure Stamina tank with Reinforced Armor, Defending Trait on weapons and shield and her Mundus is for Stamina Regeneration.

By the way, stay away from the damn "Expert" sites telling you how to "build" your class -- generally they have a poor idea of how to actually play this game. Mainly they do theory-crafting and target-dummy testing -- which has almost no bearing on the delightful randomness in the actual gameworld (mobs are NOT target dummies; they actually move around and hit you back and stuff :smiley: ).

Do your own research and you will see first-hand what works and what does not.

:smiley:
    Edited by SpiritofESO on February 8, 2021 10:29PM
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go higher, it just doesn't do anything. The most damage you can resist in PVE is 50% (which is the 33K).

In PvP it's a bit different as the attackers penetration is subtracted before the cap.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't build for more than 33k armor because it is a waste of resources, which can be allocated to another stat. As mentioned above, more than 33k armor doesn't provide any further mitigation.

I find it easier to allocate all points into the stat I will primarily use, and then build the others through my sets/glyphs/food. For magicka DPS and healers I'd go all 64 magicka, for stamina DPS or tank I'd go all 64 stamina. For a tank you could also go 64 health.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so let me get this straight.. never put points into health!?!?

So just glyphs on armor? Do the numbers really work out?

I need at least 18k health buffed with food.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play Bosmers (no class health buff). All 64 into either mag or stam, depending on if they use bow/bow or staff/staff. And all have health between 18.5 and 20k. Here is where it comes from:
    Blue food.
    Undaunted Mettle and wearing 5/1/1 (armor).
    One extra 'boost' of health from one of the following: Class buff (magsorc with a summoned pet), set bonus from a set that gives a health boost, or enchanting one big piece of armor with health (all the rest with either stam or mag).

• etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have lots of champion points, your resistances can be sufficient that you don't need anything in health in groups and with care and good food in solo. If you don't then you'll spend most of your time on the carpet.

This will all change in the next update - and from the current PTS setup quite massively to the point it'll probably make sense to completely respec everything.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just quickly agreeing with the others here -- 64 into your damage/healing resource, all the way. You can get health easily enough elsewhere, but changing your stats all the time would be expensive. Tanks are build-dependent.

A big but minor reason (if that makes sense) is that when you're just doing overland stuff or easy PvE shenanigans, you don't necessarily need that ~20K health, and can do fine without food and other buffs. But tooling around, taking it easy doesn't mean you want to hit like a wet noodle either; having your 64 "maxed" out stat helps keep you doing decent damage in these sort of non-critical situations. It's much easier to change armor/glyphs/etc as the situation calls for it, than to pay for attribute respecs.