The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do we need a temporary CP cap, increasing with each update?

Tendrielle
Tendrielle
✭✭✭
With the new CP system, the cap is at 3600 CP, and it seem to be the current CP you have which will be your start into that... grind. Wouldn't a temporary CP cap, increasing with each update until finally reaching 3.6k, allow for much better balancing of the game? What do you think?
Edited by Tendrielle on January 30, 2021 12:57PM

Do we need a temporary CP cap, increasing with each update? 118 votes

Yes, for sure
33%
BelegnoleCyberOnEsokillingspreeb16_ESOjbjondeaueb17_ESOAektannleeuxTendrielleSilloueteolsborgLadyDestinyElo106Ergeletpayne562AliyavanaMikeSkyrim333The_LexWuuffyyKandrecarmeekmikoNolic1 39 votes
No, I don't think so
56%
aleksandr_ESOvailjohn_ESOXeniphssewallb14_ESOjonathanb16_ESOzariaLarsSArwyrOlithAarDoTaazokaanTanis-StormbinderSahidomAshtarisTannus15actoshEliranJayne_Doexcalibur007redspecter23TequilaFire 67 votes
Unsure
10%
lolo_01b16_ESOlillybitSirWafflecakesVampiricByNatureFirstmeprenneZatoxTroodon80StarlockLoneStar2911AscarlWombatNipples65 12 votes
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    I chose the wrong option. I wanted to choose: "No, I don't think so"

It will take years for at least 20% of players to reach 3600 CP, so I don't think they will ever increase the cap after Flames of Oblivion patch. Most likely they will come up with another system or will improve the current one, I hope
    Edited by MikeSkyrim333 on January 30, 2021 11:59AM
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    It will take years for at least 20% of players to reach 3600 CP, so I don't think they will ever increase the cap after Flames of Oblivion patch. Most likely they will come up with another system or will improve the current one, I hope

That strongly depends on how much XP will be needed per CP point. The current PTS patch doesnt have the new curve yet. If the XP required for a CP would drop by 75% for example you would see alot more players getting there quickly.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    The power difference is negligible imo. The small amount of power you get from climbing the cp ladder will make progression feel rewarding without making it vital. Most players are below cp 1500 anyway. This change encourages build diversity and a feeling of progression. In terms of group forming I can't see it making a significant difference.

• Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure
    I'm still on the fence about an actual cap. I do think there should be some sort of soft cap as right now the system does favour max CP over ~1000 CP. Everyone at 810 right now is on a level playing field. When the change hits, things change drastically and those people who just got to 810 CP will feel the hit simply in terms of mitigation if they spec into damage stats; as trying to split between damage and mitigation means lower DPS, and if they were struggling to hit a certain DPS threshold before the patch they definitely won't be able to hit it afterwards until they grind more CP.

That already gives people with higher CP an advantage over lower CP, even if they're both over 810, all the way up to 3600. The blue tree doesn't have enough slottable "passives," meaning the more CP you have the more powerful you become. This sets a dangerous mark for mid- to high-end tier end game guilds, where you have to 2000+ in order to get in, and ideally 3600. When asked how people die in a progression, you now have to account for the fact that they might not have the mitigation if they are under ~1700 CP.

But that's not the worst part. Who is ZOS balancing content for? If ZOS is still taking the mentality of ~300 (or maybe now it'll be 600?) CP with all blue gear when it comes to testing and balancing, those people who do hit the cap will find the difficulty trivial in even the most challenging trials or dungeons. The balance gap between highest and lowest will be felt. Not that it can't already under the current system, but now there's an even greater range.

However, with that said, you also need to bear in mind that this is the first week of the PTS.
    Edited by Troodon80 on January 30, 2021 1:06PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    I don’t think another CP cap is the answer here. The new CP system doesn’t seem to make players any more powerful at 3600 cap than current CP810’s (less powerful from first impressions), so any cap would just mean everyone ends up weaker than they were previously.

The new system is designed so that additional stars can be added later. So we could potentially see some more variety or more total power available on the future. This is effectively the new form of CP cap, because we can’t invest in stars that don’t exist yet, and no amount of grinding CP’s will allow you to grow beyond the starting stars.

I just think many people are shocked at how many CP’s are needed in the new system. A lot of us were expecting to see 1000-1200 CP’s needed for anything competitive, and it’s apparent in the new system that there will be significant vertical progression up into the 2000’s and maybe approaching 3000 for some builds. Nobody wants to grind to that, but I do think that the few that have them should be able to use them. The new system could use a few adjustments (200 blue CPs just to max out status effects chance?), but IMO a hard cap is not the answer.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unsure
    It would be a bandaid fix at best. Down the line new players will be further behind with each cap increase.
    IMHO they need to curb the amount of non- slottable passives, and perhaps increase the amount of slots we get to 5 or 6.
    If they want vertical progression to be the main focus of cp that is.
    As it stands, most ppl can look forward to grinding to 1.5-7k cp and in pvp all the way to 2700 just so they can be statistically equal footing.
    Can't see that bode well for the health of the game.
  • FinrodMacBeorn
    FinrodMacBeorn
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    I advocate a temporary cap at a level where people specking completely into damage would dish out similar damage to Harrowstorm (a step back from Markarth would be ok). They likely would be still squishier, but they still would be able to clear all content which they now are able to. This would have the advantages of
    - giving people time to catch up,
    - checking how the system works life without the game being an imbalanced mess for several months.
    This cap should not influence the rate of cp gain - this already should be based on the final cap of 3600.
  • Tendrielle
    Tendrielle
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    Myself, I am really worried if there is no temporary cap. There are some players with insane CP out there, and with out a cap, the grind would just rule the game. I mean, it took my 7 years to get to ~1300, and although I am not hardcore, I am certainly a more than just casual player. Also, how should new players ever catch up?
    The current player base got used to enjoy different sorts of changes than vertical grind, I am convinced. So vertical progress is welcome, but step by step. The steps may certainly be larger than before (30 CP each update were ridiculous), but opening up all CP without a temporary cap sounds insane to me.
    Finally, I think ZOS has sufficient difficulties to balance the game already. How to balance 900 and 3000 CP side by side?!
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    Capping CP defeats the entire purpose of the rework, which was to set a maximum vertical progression height, after which the system progresses horizontally. The effective vertical height just needs to be much lower. Supposedly a new XP curve is coming, so we'll see.
  • Tendrielle
    Tendrielle
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    Supposedly a new XP curve is coming, so we'll see.

Well, fingers crossed. It would help a lot, but I don't think it would solve all problems.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »

That strongly depends on how much XP will be needed per CP point. The current PTS patch doesnt have the new curve yet. If the XP required for a CP would drop by 75% for example you would see alot more players getting there quickly.
    Tendrielle wrote: »
    Supposedly a new XP curve is coming, so we'll see.

Well, fingers crossed. It would help a lot, but I don't think it would solve all problems.

You'll be greatly disappointed if you are above 1200 CP on live. They specifically stated that the curve is going to be adjusted only below CP 1200. 1200-3600 will be the same as it is on live.

Also, here is the link to the ZoS statement that they will not scale your current CP to the new system - https://clips.twitch.tv/ClearLivelyTroutKappaRoss
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on February 1, 2021 3:27PM
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    Something really needs to happen with the exp curve or a cap. Probably both.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    This game is being "balanced" to death.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    Implementing a cap is a short term solution that just pushes the problem off to newer players later on. Fix the core issue so that you don't need to implement a cap in the first place.

There are too many points to spend on passives specifically in the blue tree. They can squish down the point requirements there in order to get to the 1200 - 1500 soft cap range for a more permanent solution. Needing 2500 cp for the soft cap combined with no change to the upper end xp curve as it is now on PTS is probably not for the best overall health of the game. They could adjust the xp curve so that players can more reasonably expect to get to 2500 cp in a shorter time frame and that could also work, but then turn the green and red trees into a bit of a joke as you'd buy up everything faster than intended. This fix works long term if they add more sub trees to red and green to increase choices there for high cp players.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    You'll be greatly disappointed if you are above 1200 CP on live. They specifically stated that the curve is going to be adjusted only below CP 1200. 1200-3600 will be the same as it is on live.
    Got a source on that?
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    Got a source on that?

What they actually said was there would be a cp curve you will feel it most between 810-1200 not that there are not changes to cp gain in general. I'm quite sure they indicated there would be an overall boost to cp gain. I can't remember if that was in the patch notes, the stream or since...
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    Cp's can add around 25% more damage. And you don't need 2-3k CP to get it.

1080 for my Wood Elf Stamblade in PVE:
    600 total for the 4 slotted dps buffs
    480 for passives.

I'm assuming martial status affect buffs don't add much for optimized groups, and I know that penetration buffs aren't going to be needed for my character. And mages won't need penetration. Any other stamina class could use them, though, so add 160 more cp for that.

I'm sitting at 1340 cp, and with the amount of mitigation currently available from CPs + everything else I'm only taking 15% more damage from hits, and they added 7000 extra health to the base, which more than makes up for it.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unsure
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about an actual cap. I do think there should be some sort of soft cap as right now the system does favour max CP over ~1000 CP. Everyone at 810 right now is on a level playing field. When the change hits, things change drastically and those people who just got to 810 CP will feel the hit simply in terms of mitigation if they spec into damage stats; as trying to split between damage and mitigation means lower DPS, and if they were struggling to hit a certain DPS threshold before the patch they definitely won't be able to hit it afterwards until they grind more CP

Yeah exactly. I've only just recently become an end game trials player and my biggest concern is going from being max level to basically mid game player quality due to the changes alone and through no fault of my own.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What we need is for them to actually improve the system, not just nerf it and paint it a different color while spouting some marketing talk.

Will we get an actual improvement, lol, no. Forget it. Just like they won't fix anything else till they have a fire under their butt.

Look at intel for a recent example, they have dropped the ball in recent years, but now, it just so happens that when amd competes and is taking their shares, intel suddenly cares about making good products, which is why they finally hired some good people.

This is why fanboyism is just dumb, you are not helping anyone.
    Edited by JinMori on February 1, 2021 8:45PM
  • Nolic1
    Nolic1
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    I said yes but only that it would be nice to have an increase at least once a year like at Chapter release but no way every update that would be to much and this way it gives players the content of the whole year to use to earn cp.
    Sherman from Sherman's Gaming

Youtube content creator that is dedicated to the Casual and Roleplay community for News, Lets Talks, Guides, Help and character builds.

Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so
    renne wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about an actual cap. I do think there should be some sort of soft cap as right now the system does favour max CP over ~1000 CP. Everyone at 810 right now is on a level playing field. When the change hits, things change drastically and those people who just got to 810 CP will feel the hit simply in terms of mitigation if they spec into damage stats; as trying to split between damage and mitigation means lower DPS, and if they were struggling to hit a certain DPS threshold before the patch they definitely won't be able to hit it afterwards until they grind more CP

Yeah exactly. I've only just recently become an end game trials player and my biggest concern is going from being max level to basically mid game player quality due to the changes alone and through no fault of my own.

People need to stop looking at the blue tree this way.

You'll have all the damage passives unlocked easily enough for your build without too much drama. If you're only exactly 810 CP (you got to cap and then stopped playing?) then you'll be missing some dps, but we're talking a small percentage here. Maybe 2% of your total dps.
    You won't be able to have the mitigation or healing passives as well, but you don't need them for your role in trials.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unsure
    Tannus15 wrote: »

You'll have all the damage passives unlocked easily enough for your build without too much drama. If you're only exactly 810 CP (you got to cap and then stopped playing?) then you'll be missing some dps, but we're talking a small percentage here. Maybe 2% of your total dps.
    You won't be able to have the mitigation or healing passives as well, but you don't need them for your role in trials.

Some people may have only just made it to 810, mate, it's not that hard to understand. It doesn't mean they've "stopped playing" it just means they only just got there and there's not a discernable difference to a handful of CP over it.

Also we're working our way through vet DLC hm content and I'm going to need mitigation and healing passives for that, yes?? So yeah, I will be going from being max level to not.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so

Some people may have only just made it to 810, mate, it's not that hard to understand. It doesn't mean they've "stopped playing" it just means they only just got there and there's not a discernable difference to a handful of CP over it.

Also we're working our way through vet DLC hm content and I'm going to need mitigation and healing passives for that, yes?? So yeah, I will be going from being max level to not.

And I'm telling you, you're going to be totally fine. You won't notice much if any dps loss and the new max health values are going to more than make up for any lost mitigation / healing. Running 2 stat food I have 27k health on PTS plus we have a base 15% mitigation to all damage.

If you're doing 4 vet DLC hm content with a healer, you won't notice any change, if you're doing 1 tank, 3dd then you're probably already running pale order and still won't notice the difference.

If you doubt me try doing vMA or vVH on pts and you'll see that there is very little real change.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unsure

And I'm telling you, you're going to be totally fine. You won't notice much if any dps loss and the new max health values are going to more than make up for any lost mitigation / healing. Running 2 stat food I have 27k health on PTS plus we have a base 15% mitigation to all damage.

If you're doing 4 vet DLC hm content with a healer, you won't notice any change, if you're doing 1 tank, 3dd then you're probably already running pale order and still won't notice the difference.

If you doubt me try doing vMA or vVH on pts and you'll see that there is very little real change.

We run 1tank 3dd but we don't run the ring because we share heals where we can. And unfortunately I can't test any of these things because they don't have the PTS on console. I don't understand then if it has all these things by default why the new CP cap is so high?

Also since you obviously have access to the PTS, if you actually had 1200 CP can you dump it all in the blue tree? Or is it like now where it's split and you only have 400 CP to spend there and have to be 3600 to be able to spend 1200 CP in it?
  • JoSePHRiNG
    JoSePHRiNG
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure
    Yes, sure because bringing that much change in one instance is really hard to pull.
    Jorvuld's Guidance and SPC all the way down.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so

We run 1tank 3dd but we don't run the ring because we share heals where we can. And unfortunately I can't test any of these things because they don't have the PTS on console. I don't understand then if it has all these things by default why the new CP cap is so high?

Also since you obviously have access to the PTS, if you actually had 1200 CP can you dump it all in the blue tree? Or is it like now where it's split and you only have 400 CP to spend there and have to be 3600 to be able to spend 1200 CP in it?

it's split across all 3 like live. you'll probably have around 300cp per tree to spend. They have done away with diminishing returns, but have also drastically reduced the effectiveness of CP. I did a quick comparison to live and I "lost" large % of my damage from CP, but my total damage looks about the same. Hard to tell for sure while the dummy is broken, but I did a vMA run and it felt about right *shrug*

I think the big one people are overlooking is the 1k weapon/spell damage we've gained. Unless you were putting points into blessed or quick recovery you'll actually have more healing output because of raw stats than on live.
    You'll lose a little on mitigation, but they have given everyone 15% more mitigation outside of the CP system.
    You can absolutely put everything into damage and have no real issues.

That's why I did a vMA run. I was expecting to take a lot more damage from the archers on stage 5. that's usually when I realise I had vAS CP setup and I'm taking all the physical damage and it wasn't an issue at all. I tested out the red slottable which gives 1500 mag return when you kill something (mini FG) with siroria and ran parse food and sustain was a breeze. I ended up going back to FG for the speed buff, changed the red slottable for max health and ran thrassian. Full thrassian stacks was 21k max health btw.

Basically way more builds are viable now for way more content. The meta is going to shuffle around a lot, especially with the crit nerfs. CP is LESS important than before, but can provide a lot of nice bonuses so you still want it.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unsure

it's split across all 3 like live. you'll probably have around 300cp per tree to spend. They have done away with diminishing returns, but have also drastically reduced the effectiveness of CP. I did a quick comparison to live and I "lost" large % of my damage from CP, but my total damage looks about the same. Hard to tell for sure while the dummy is broken, but I did a vMA run and it felt about right *shrug*

I think the big one people are overlooking is the 1k weapon/spell damage we've gained. Unless you were putting points into blessed or quick recovery you'll actually have more healing output because of raw stats than on live.
    You'll lose a little on mitigation, but they have given everyone 15% more mitigation outside of the CP system.
    You can absolutely put everything into damage and have no real issues.

That's why I did a vMA run. I was expecting to take a lot more damage from the archers on stage 5. that's usually when I realise I had vAS CP setup and I'm taking all the physical damage and it wasn't an issue at all. I tested out the red slottable which gives 1500 mag return when you kill something (mini FG) with siroria and ran parse food and sustain was a breeze. I ended up going back to FG for the speed buff, changed the red slottable for max health and ran thrassian. Full thrassian stacks was 21k max health btw.

Basically way more builds are viable now for way more content. The meta is going to shuffle around a lot, especially with the crit nerfs. CP is LESS important than before, but can provide a lot of nice bonuses so you still want it.

Okay that's really interesting, thanks heaps for explaining all that to me. I'm really interested to see if this is going to result in another widescale tinker with sets given there's passives for sustain, although I can imagine they won't because the theory will be that you could slot something else instead and run the gear?

That said, as you said the meta will shuffle (RIP crit) but I stikk imagine there will be "ideal" builds for x content when it comes down to it.
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for sure

The problem is this is how the end game and pvp communities are going to look at it.

Pvp its just a straight up disadvantage to have less points. If im 1000 dps and fighting a 2000 dps we will have similar damage numbers. However the higher level player will be able to afford this for damage mit or sustain.

Pve endgame guilds dont want you just preforming your role. They look at this and see at 2000 you can spec into the damage mit and self heal passive so there less likely to die. They look at the so if you have these passives we can tank out and skip this mechanic and we can have healer spec less for heals and cram these buffs in. Its not about if you can get the job done its about getting the job done as efficiently and with the least deaths possible.